~Disc~Golf~

Should I Troll a Scammer?

Yesterday I got an email from an obvious scammer - but it was a bit different than the 'Nigerian Prince' type of thing.

I received this (same .jpg BTW - not text):
    Should I Troll a Scammer?-scam1.jpg

Then today, I got this - text this time (*note, I did not respond to the 1st email ^^^)
    .......Dear Prospective Client,

Thanks for your response, We are a corporation that Manufacture Iron & Steel in Qingshan District of Wuhan, CHINA. We distribute our product all around the world. We Require your Assistance as Representative in your Region. Send info to Indicate Interest;

(Name):
    (Full Add.):
    (Phone):
    (Current Work):
    (Company Position):

Send Info to: chugaipha87@bresnan.net

E-mail details.

Peng Chen
    Chief Accountant
    Wuhan Iron & Steel (Group) Corporation.
    Qingshan District of Wuhan,
    China.
    Now, I think it could be fun to troll them, but, I need you guys to help - if this sounds fun...
    I dunno - maybe it's lame.

Oh, and this is my daily/personal mail, so I don't want to trash it.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    Yesterday I got an email from an obvious scammer - but it was a bit different than the 'Nigerian Prince' type of thing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scam1.jpg 
Views:	2125 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	791911

Then today, I got this - text this time (*note, I did not respond to the 1st email ^^^)

Now, I think it could be fun to troll them, but, I need you guys to help - if this sounds fun...
    I get these all the time but they are for students that need an internship and would be willing to pay me to come and get an internship with my firm (which is me, myself and I). It's gotta be some kinda scam to get into country but frankly just herding the cats here is interesting enough for me.

A lot of times the return email doesn't even work because they are already shut down by the time you respond. Still a good 411 scam can be a lot of fun, although I bet it is a lot of work for the yucks!
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    I troll them all the time. wastes their time. check out 419eater.com for some good scam baiting tips as well as some do's and don'ts.

I didn't do it
    ^^beat me to the 419eater site but here's my original post below.

I trolled a scammer for a few days a couple of years ago and it was pretty fun. I was Reverend Johnson and my church was destroyed in Hurricane Katrina and so I could really use the money he was offering me. I was trying to make arrangements for me to send the scammer my last $10,000 dollars in return for $19 million or something like that. I didn't push it too far and just gave up because I had other things to do but it was entertaining for awhile. It was a little frustrating to know that the guy on the other end was willing to take the last of my "money" even though I was already a "victim" of Katrina.

Check out this website to see some professional anti scammer work. Be sure to check out the letters section which shows the correspondence between the baiter and the scammer.

Welcome to the 419 Eater

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Last scammer I trolled I (was a phone call from Microsoft support saying I had viruses) got their website shutdown. When they went to another webhost, they called me again. And again, their website got shutdown. During the phone call though, it was pretty amusing to ask about their address, their "CEO" (the guy that registered their website), phone numbers, etc.. the poor guy didn't know what to say

Front Range, Colorado
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

~ B A D A S S ~

The last one is definitely a fishing expedition to gather info on potentially good yeilding targets for a more directed attack. '
    the will most likely hack your phone/computer if you are interesting, or hold a semi non retarded position somewhere, at some place that makes something of value, something thatcan be of any value either to trade for whatever or just rip off.

They only need one sucker on a company to root and then they get all the logins and passwords from that one, and then its easy for them to move on in the network until they find some people with access to more interesting info, such as ceos, technical managers/directors and such, then they target those and their computers to get what they want.

It wasa big scandal here where I am just recently where the ceos (and all the high ranking bosses) computers were rooted and all info was uploaded to god knows where, and then they deleted everything when they were done. I have a feeling those guys didn't even answer the mails...
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Just by answering the mail you will probably give them enough to do some damage if they want too. Like your ip, os, device type, firmware version, browser, etc etc etc. I don't know really what can be extracted, ip for sure and thats enough if they are smart and have people on the inside somewhere, like an isp.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    I troll scammers all the time. I'm in the car buisness so they want to buy cars and have them shipped out of the country. I play along and they actually send us checks for the vehicles which are made out to some crazy name I give them. I then call the banks the checks are from and then send them the bogus check so they can go after them. It just makes me laugh to see how far they go.And yes,sometimes I do have to much time on my hands!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    This post is good for two threads in one. Put it in the worst songs thread.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

T.W.O.
    I've done it a few times but it just gets old after a while, ended up wasting lots of time doing it I do like a good random sales call though, I just keep agreeing with what they are selling til the time they try to collect then I don't have any money

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Should I Troll a Scammer?

I send them the local FBI office contact info as "mine".
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    I've done it a few times but it just gets old after a while, ended up wasting lots of time doing it I do like a good random sales call though, I just keep agreeing with what they are selling til the time they try to collect then I don't have any money
    I love it when a salesperson doesn't give me an opportunity to get a word in and then when I decline they get annoyed and tell me that I just wasted their time.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    A: Yes.