Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    sock puppet

shopping for a road bike - give me your opinion

2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1 or 2013 Specialized Venge S-Works.

Sold my sub 14 pounds Scott Addict R1 - it stopped exciting me and it was time to let it go - though it was a very nice ride.

Two mentioned bikes are the short selection, I considered Cervelo, Cannondale and Scott - but there was no emotion in any of them for me.

I am not racing but jump in from time to time to sometimes competitive Donut Rides (or Gran Fondo rides), 200 pounds riding weight and can push some good wattage.

Need just one bike that will be jack of all trades. Dogma is very exciting, Italian heritage and one of the best bikes every built. Venge is a new kid on the block, cutting edge technology and would go awesome with the components that I took of the old bike - in project black colour. My concern with Venge is that because it is aero bike - vertical compliance will be compromised and will reduce the road feel significantly.

Since I am shopping for frame sets, I can not "test ride" bikes - with my components - so will go based on experience from riders that I know and ride both.

Anyone here can offer some piece of mind on the choice between the two - including personal experience... interested in finding out from aero frame owners... is the trade off worth the improvements?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shopping for a road bike - give me your opinion-venge-mclaren-cavendish.jpg  

shopping for a road bike - give me your opinion-pinarello-dogma-carbon-60-1-frameset-2011-602-movistar_productimages_9015-1-14300_800_800_false.jpg  

Signature

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Since you are almost an order of magnitude above what I spent on my last road bike I can't help you in any useful way. But, you don't want a 2 year old bike do you?

I guess I can help by bumping your post back to the top.

High Desert MTBer
    My back hurts just lookin' at them...

Not my cup of tea old chap!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Although I do not have a Dogma I do have a Quatro with the same pedigree. I will tell you that the A-Symmetrical frame design is for real! I have owned many brands of bikes over the years but non have gotten me as excited as my Pina. When I push hard to accelerate the bike just jumps forward as if possessed. There is no wavering from side to side or over correcting steering. The bike just goes as straight as an arrow. This A-Symmetrical design helps just as much when descending Beach Mountain in NC. at 50 mph through the switchbacks. I don't know any thing about the other choice as I have no experience with Specialized. But they do look great. For me it's all about the ride.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^With a review like that now I'm thinking of getting one!

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1 or 2013 Specialized Venge S-Works.
    Both my daughter and her BF ride Argon 18's with the big crank bumped up to a 54T. Her BF got a ticket on Scenic Caves Road doing 95 in a 50, cop told him 5km faster he would have charged him with stunt driving and confiscated the bike for 7 days.

Nice bikes for general riding, daughter is doing the Ride for Heart on June 2, then thinking of the Wasaga triathalon in September. 95% of people riding high end competition bikes never use their full potential, but they like dressing up in Spandex and scaring the cows up here. I'm still on my Scott, wife likes her Opus...perfect for that Creemore, Glen Huron loop...

mtbr member

Anything but a Specialized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Trail Prospector
    Okay, I'll play... but you're not gonna like it, at all.

Strike - 1) No real bike discussions in the OC.

Strike - 2) Seeking road bike advice from a pack of baggy-wearing mudslingers - really now.

Strike - 3) Drivers do not discriminate who they cut-off, hit, run over, or kill.

My $0.02 is to spend your $$ on another MTB, OR if desiring to dispose of wifey, buy her the road bike where she's bound to get clobbered. (Way cheaper than the legal battle.)

Back to the shitshow..
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

Front Range, Colorado
    What is this "road bike" you speak of? >confused<
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Beer Me!
    In that high end price range you can find a very nice Ti road bike, which would be the direction I would go.

If you are stuck between those two I would go with the specialized.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

High Desert MTBer
    This should do the trick... even the training wheels are carbon...

shopping for a road bike - give me your opinion-kids_bicycle.jpg
    It's all Here. Now.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Anything but a Specialized.
    Why?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by JM01 View Post
    Why?
    Horrible company. They think they have sue anybody and everybody that comes close to them.

Here let me try - Epic!
    Oh, ya, there's the lawyers knocking on my door.

Ride More, Whine Less

From the OP, I can say you would have no interest in a Domane, but just for kicks, take one for a test drive. Sure, they look a little blah, they are made by a company that people either love or hate, and they are relatively expensive for the components. BUT- they are an amazing ride. The roads in MN are battered by the winter, and a Domane had all day comfort. The Domane is the third road bike I have had; it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it.

After an early May ride
    shopping for a road bike - give me your opinion-imageuploadedbytapatalk1369360908.206401.jpg

banned
    Mar 2005
    Horrible company. They think they have sue anybody and everybody that comes close to them.

Here let me try - Epic!
    Oh, ya, there's the lawyers knocking on my door.

Interesting. So you would not buy a great bike because you seem to have an issue with companies protecting their R&D investments. Guess you don't buy Apple, Microsoft, and Samsung products because they protect their patents as well.

Guess Trek must be on your hate list because they support cheaters as well?

There are a lot of great companies making terrible bikes...You must be one of their best customers, yes?

Specialized should be praised for protecting their investment, yet you seem to take a Commie approach where everyone should share in their hard work.

I guess that I understand.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Interesting. So you would not buy a great bike because you seem to have an issue with companies protecting their R&D investments. Guess you don't buy Apple, Microsoft, and Samsung products because they protect their patents as well.

There are a lot of great companies making terrible bikes...You must be one of their best customers, yes?

Specialized should be praised for protecting their investment, yet you seem to take a Commie approach where everyone should share in their hard work.

And because it's the kewl thing to do.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post
    And because it's the kewl thing to do.
    Odd, that a cyclist would boycott a company because it protects it's patents and designs...even more weird that he would support companies that steal those patents and designs without compensating the people that invested time, money and, effort into making a better product for them to ride.

Someone needs to explain how this works? Why would they support thieves?

Anyway, of the 23 bikes in my quiver, we have only one Specialized...a Stumpjumper FSR Elite WSD that I bought my daughter a few years ago. She loves that bike but has now grown up and rides mostly road... she likes her Argon 18 and her Scott Speedster, I think she has a couple more.

I recently did a 7 month road trip through 26 states in America, drove about 37,000km and brought down 2 Trek hybrids that we rode every day. I was struck by the inexpensive (and cheap) bikes that Americans ride...95% were WalMart and other dept. store bikes...very few Giants, Specialized, and Treks...I saw maybe a dozen high end roadies and MTB's.

Just a long way of saying that you may not know a good bike if you saw one, apparently companies that make capital investments in R&D and actively protect their discoveries should be shunned. Perhaps patents should now be banned?

Ride More, Whine Less
    Interesting turn of events...

Now I'm one that doesn't like Specialized for any reason other than I liked Trek first. I suppose that is like a Ford vs. Chevy thing. I do like to joke that there is irony in a company calling themselves "specialized" when they put a single name on virtually every product in cycling and in fact demonstrate little specialization in the process. That said, I also recognize we owe a lot to the sport we have today to Specialized and the early pioneers that have since been gobbled up by the giants. Cycling is no way different than any industry or many jobs: be competitive or be gone.

Here is an interesting article that was written a few years ago but was recently bumped by Bike Radar via twitter.
    Interview: Specialized Founder Mike Sinyard - BikeRadar

mtbr member

First off, DONT EVER CALL ME A FAWKIN COMMIE!!!!!! Thats fighting words.

Specialized has made a habit of sueing small companies for otherwise inoccuous things like using the word Epic in their company name or painting their bike frames red. WTB had to change the name of their Epicwolf tire. Its not like they were stealing suspension technology.
    Specialized got started in the MTB industry through theft and deception. Mike Synyard got his hands on a early Gary Fisher/Joe Murray frame and took it to Japan to have it put into production as the Stumpjumper. Who's stealing technologies? Specialized has gotten rich from doing it.
    If Mike Synyard doesn't get his way, he just has his lawyers do his dirty work. Thats not how capitalism is supposed to work.
    So I chose to spend my cycling dollars with other companies. I also encourage those around me to not give money to Specialized. There are far too many great companies out there that don't act like Specialized.

mtbr member

Specialized has made a habit of sueing small companies for otherwise inoccuous things like using the word Epic in their company name or painting their bike frames red. WTB had to change the name of their Epicwolf tire. Its not like they were stealing suspension technology.
    Specialized got started in the MTB industry through theft and deception. Mike Synyard got his hands on a early Gary Fisher/Joe Murray frame and took it to Japan to have it put into production as the Stumpjumper. Who's stealing technologies? Specialized has gotten rich from doing it.
    If Mike Synyard doesn't get his way, he just has his lawyers do his dirty work. Thats not how capitalism is supposed to work.
    So I chose to spend my cycling dollars with other companies. I also encourage those around me to not give money to Specialized. There are far too many great companies out there that don't act like Specialized.
    I concur, but TREK is not one. They have stolen a lot more ideas then Specialized vere even thought of.

banned
    Mar 2005

Only A FAWKIN COMMIE would think that I called you A FAWKIN COMMIE...please reread my post.

But I guess you know what you are by boycotting companies that don't give their R&D away for free.

Jeez...only a Commie would think like that.

High Desert MTBer
    You lot just wont listen will you! How about this for that Retro look!?!

Name:  images-1.jpeg
Views: 869
Size:  6.7 KB

Bar ends are spun and dyed Carbon Fiber... only problem is that it is RED!!! And we know what that means don't we???

IT"S A COMMIE BIKE!!!

Expect to be followed everywhere by Specialized lawyers, but on this baby, they won't get near you!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member

Only A FAWKIN COMMIE would think that I called you A FAWKIN COMMIE...please reread my post.

But I guess you know what you are by boycotting companies that don't give their R&D away for free.

Jeez...only a Commie would think like that.
    Did you even look at the three cases I mentioned?
    Specialized sued Epic Designs because they were worried about the use of the word Epic. Really? How is that stealing R&D technology?
    Same with WTB and the EpicWolf tire. They were not claiming stolen technology. It was the use of an everyday word.
    And Volagi. Sure the owners of Volagi were former employees of Specialized, in the accessories department. They had zero to do with designing bikes for Specialized. They designed water bottles! They started there own company and started selling bikes whose only shared technology with Specialized was the color red. I own a red tool box. I sure hope Specialized doesn't sue Snap-On for stealing technology.
    And what about Specialized's own theft of technology used for the development of the Stumpjumper? It's OK for Specialized to steal technology when it suits them?
    Specialized is a bully in the industry. Anybody that buys their crap is just supporting this behavior. Specialized can go suck it.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Okay, I'll play... but you're not gonna like it, at all.

Strike - 1) No real bike discussions in the OC.

Strike - 2) Seeking road bike advice from a pack of baggy-wearing mudslingers - really now.

Strike - 3) Drivers do not discriminate who they cut-off, hit, run over, or kill.

My $0.02 is to spend your $$ on another MTB, OR if desiring to dispose of wifey, buy her the road bike where she's bound to get clobbered. (Way cheaper than the legal battle.)

Back to the shitshow..
    hmm, some wise words in here. particularly about buying my wife a bike.

yeah, i realized i pushed this subforum on the verge of criminal activity by asking a biking related question. i profusely apologize.

oh by the way - it's Pinarello Dogma... she is so darn sexy, i couldn't resist...
    Signature

sock puppet
    Did you even look at the three cases I mentioned?
    Specialized sued Epic Designs because they were worried about the use of the word Epic. Really? How is that stealing R&D technology?
    Same with WTB and the EpicWolf tire. They were not claiming stolen technology. It was the use of an everyday word.
    And Volagi. Sure the owners of Volagi were former employees of Specialized, in the accessories department. They had zero to do with designing bikes for Specialized. They designed water bottles! They started there own company and started selling bikes whose only shared technology with Specialized was the color red. I own a red tool box. I sure hope Specialized doesn't sue Snap-On for stealing technology.
    And what about Specialized's own theft of technology used for the development of the Stumpjumper? It's OK for Specialized to steal technology when it suits them?
    Specialized is a bully in the industry. Anybody that buys their crap is just supporting this behavior. Specialized can go suck it.

calm down kids. if you want to fight over bikes - go to 29er forum. we fight over everything else, around here.

personally i only care about the product and how it is backed up by the manufacturer. specialized has been great supporting two MTB's that i have with their sticker, and i love them both... great bikes...

i don't think specialized is any worse or better than any other major company. if we start looking at ethics, we would quickly run out of choices... and that ain't good...

besides - if you don't buy it for such reason, someone else will - so business is as usual.

i don't apply this logic to every aspect in life - morals, ethics, honesty play major role in my decision making...

but c'mon - we are talking bikes here...

back to the chat - i held both spesh and pina side by side... spesh was a pinnacle of technology, very sleek and looking aggressive. pina was sleek and sexy, like a piece of fast art... she was talking sweet and i surrendered quickly...

rode her today and it is all i was looking for...

/bike talk
    Signature

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast