Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Flaccid Member

The Shark thread.

This thread is for all shark related posts. I'll let Hawg lead off, since he's our resident shark expert.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyonadyke View Post
    This thread is for all shark related posts. I'll let Hawg lead off, since he's our resident shark expert.
    I see what ya did there. You got sick of my shark talk in the "Hook Up thread". Alright I'll cool it it over there and bring that story over here.

Well I'm good at identifying all the larger sharks. And I know which ones frequent the So. Cal. waters. And which can come in but are rare to see.
    Here's the scenario: Several years ago Jet skiing off Point Loma Lighthouse point San Diego. I'm on a stand up jet ski not a sit down. There is a reef that juts off from the lighthouse. I launch off a 6' wave going 10' up and twenty feet out. I crash upon landing. My feet sink down far enough to barely touch the reef luckely deep enough not to injure myself. My ski gets away from me, but starts trying to circle as the waves crash into it. I'm bobbling in the surf swimming trying to get to it, I finally get to it. I take a breather hanging onto the bars and half my body in the water. After a 5 minute breather I fire up the motor and give it gas. As I start to stand up I see a 6' shark 4' below me. "Holy Crap" I was just dangling my body right where he was. I punch the throttle and haul ass back to the launch ramp a mile or so away. The whole way back I was contemplating what kind of shark it was. I told myself it was a harmless Sand Shark just to cool my nerves. A Sand Shark I have since learned [thanks to Hawg] is a generalization of several species of shark harmless to humans.

But now years later I'm not so sure. It could have been a juvenile Great White. Because since that time the scientists have learned more about the Great White habits. They have confirmed that they give birth off of San Diego waters then the adults move on. The baby Great Whites stick around in So. Cal. waters for a couple of years. And they are the same size as what I saw of 6'. YIKERS!!
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    sodak... will be no wheres near this thread...

Super Clyde
    The guy I bought my boat from liked to shark fish. If you look closely you can see the shark above the boat's name.
    The Shark thread.-image.jpg

sympathy for society
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    sodak... will be no wheres near this thread...
    I am here reluctantly to support my OC brehteren.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

official eMpTyBRain
    I recall all the shark drifting trips with my buds on their small boats. Oh, the memories...
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Flaccid Member
    Used to be big sport, guys fishing off of the kelp patties north of Malibu in their kayaks, going after thresher sharks. One of my buddies, Tommy, landed a big one. Tommy always was a little crazy.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

official eMpTyBRain
    Threshers are tail whippers. Don't worry about their small mouth with small teeth. Watch out for that damned tail!

You back on Earth yet or are you still in Never-neverland?

Front Range, Colorado
    Come on boys and girls lets hear those shark encounters. I poured my guts out [almost] to you.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    When I was 16 years old, I rowed our boats' dinghy from our anchorage in West Catalina harbor (the isthmus) south along the coastline. Mostly sheer headlands once you get clear of the low-lying isthmus. I was out a bit more than a mile from our mooring, just rowing....not fishing, and checking out the shoreline. I was so caught up by the scenery that I didn't notice that I had drawn a group of sharks, most certainly blues, I believe....They were all around me. No aggressiveness from them at all, but still it was pretty shocking and I smoothly turned the dinghy around and rowed back at as fast a pace as I could put up, being very careful about how I put the oars into the water. Somehow I sensed that missing a stroke and causing a splash might not be a good thing. The sharks followed me for about 1/2 a mile, then kind of peeled off, one by one, and just swam away.

That's one of my shark encounters, the thing that sticks with me about that one is that many of the sharks looked to be almost as large/long as my dinghy.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

Front Range, Colorado
    Great story Ray, I felt like I was right there with you.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

official eMpTyBRain
    Sharks I've encountered:

Shortfin Mako
    Greater Hammerhead
    Thresher
    Blue
    Basking
    Leopard
    Smooth Hound
    Horned
    Swell
    Spiny Dogfish
    Seven Gilled
    Angel (rare)

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Great story Ray, I felt like I was right there with you.
    Thanks, DJ. I'm sure, that at the time, I woulda liked if you were there with me, too!

I remember thinking, at the time, "Do these guys talk to each other?"
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

ouch....
    Who approved this thread anyways????!

Riding.....

mtbr member
    I work with a goofball that has always said he'll never go on a cruise because of his fear of sharks. Really?? What are the odds that the boat'll sink, no lifeboats will be available, and you'll be a'bobbin in the waves like a cork?

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang 21 View Post
    I work with a goofball that has always said he'll never go on a cruise because of his fear of sharks. Really?? What are the odds that the boat'll sink, no lifeboats will be available, and you'll be a'bobbin in the waves like a cork?
    LOL, perhaps he's more afraid that a "super shark" will jump the 150' up to get up onto the deck and then it will wiggle it's way throughout the ship, munching on passengers it happens upon. It could happen ya know, I've seen stuff like that on the SciFi Channel and that stuff is real, like fer sure.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I think the more rational thing to fear regarding a cruise would be that the engines, generators, and toilets don't work and the place becomes a fetid sewer.

sympathy for society
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    LOL, perhaps he's more afraid that a "super shark" will jump the 150' up to get up onto the deck and then it will wiggle it's way throughout the ship, munching on passengers it happens upon. It could happen ya know, I've seen stuff like that on the SciFi Channel and that stuff is real, like fer sure.

You do know that sharks can get sucked up in a tornado and tossed on deck right?? Then they eat your face off.

This one is for you Hawg.. Tuna fishing with sharks... Yikes!!! No effing way I would be out there. This gives me the chills worse than any scary movie I have ever seen.

"We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

Front Range, Colorado

Cross posted from the X-Treme sports thread.

Most important Shark discovery of our generation.
    Megalodon found in golf course pond. Was thought to be extinct 10,000 years ago. Scientists confirm Mega Shark living on a golf ball diet. And it remains a mystery how he stayed hidden over all these years. Golf course personal were interviewed and say they have been puzzled for years why golf balls were disappearing. News at 11:00. Tune in to Shark Week the sequel starting 9-22-13 on the Discovery channel where Scientists try to capture him live and hold him in a custom built double. football field size aquarium. Built on Sea World property. Pre ticket pricing has been discussed for viewing said beast. $2000.00 per adult and a mere $1500.00 for children 10 and under. Purchase
    them now at MEGABEAST.com Google Image Result for http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/VMNH_megalodon.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by nwbikur View Post
    Lol, I can hardly wait for the 2 hr "documentary" complete with eyewitness accounts and out of context photos taken from a distance!
    Oh yeah it really is groundbreaking history in the making. The scientists have already sub contracted Titlest and Spalding to step up golf ball production. They fear that altering his diet could put MEGABEAST in shock and jeopardize this whole operation.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak View Post
    You do know that sharks can get sucked up in a tornado and tossed on deck right?? Then they eat your face off.

This one is for you Hawg.. Tuna fishing with sharks... Yikes!!! No effing way I would be out there. This gives me the chills worse than any scary movie I have ever seen.

My good friend is a long range Sportboat Captain. He says that every Fall, big Yellowfin tuna move up into Guadalupe Island which is about 250 miles SW of San Diego. There are large resident White sharks there that inhale the tuna up to 100 pounds while the anglers are fighting them and then they bite the fish in half!!! He's seen it up close many times!

If you ever come out this way in the warm season, I will take you out sharkin' on my buddy's 19' Boston Whaler. Maybe we can get towed around for a while by big mo!

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang 21 View Post
    Yeah, I think the more rational thing to fear regarding a cruise would be that the engines, generators, and toilets don't work and the place becomes a fetid sewer.
    This ^^^ unless your confronted by MEGABEAST more on that discovery in a minute.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

official eMpTyBRain
    This ^^^ unless your confronted by MEGABEAST more on that discovery in a minute.
    ...or Sharkzilla!

mtbr member
    New movie coming out with Samuel L Jackson: Sharks on a Plane.

'Get these mutha****** sharks off this mutha******* plane!'

official eMpTyBRain
    I'm anxiously waiting for "Sharkasaurus Rex" due out in 2014.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Sharks I've encountered:

Shortfin Mako
    Greater Hammerhead
    Thresher
    Blue
    Basking
    Leopard
    Smooth Hound
    Horned
    Swell
    Spiny Dogfish
    Seven Gilled
    Angel (rare)
    That's a good list Hawgzilla. Where did you see a Hammerhead and how big was it.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast