Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SCUBA and MTBs

High Desert MTBer

SCUBA and MTBs

I am just in the process of getting certified on an SSI Open Water course, and have been having buoyancy problems: establishing neutral buoyancy first off, and then maintaining it afterwards. My instructor is telling me that very likely my lungs are a major factor in this as I mountain bike a lot at relatively high altitude, and this has done much to increase my lung capacity... It also contributes to my using more air than many people for the same reasons.

Any other divers out there have similar issues?
    It's all Here. Now.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I am just in the process of getting certified on an SSI Open Water course, and have been having buoyancy problems: establishing neutral buoyancy first off, and then maintaining it afterwards. My instructor is telling me that very likely my lungs are a major factor in this as I mountain bike a lot at relatively high altitude, and this has done much to increase my lung capacity... It also contributes to my using more air than many people for the same reasons.

Any other divers out there have similar issues?
    Sorry RC I got nothing, but I am a diver just not of scuba variety.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

AZ
    banned
    You should be using less air since you use it more efficiently. Shallower breathing techniques would help offset the buoyancy issue.

Front Range, Colorado
    RC try this site I bet you'll figure it out quicker.
    ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network - ScubaBoard Home
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    RC try this site I bet you'll figure it out quicker.
    ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network - ScubaBoard Home
    You mean, there's other places on the interweb to get information??!?!??
    It's all Here. Now.

Front Range, Colorado
    No sorry there is only one source so bring your own beer and empty it.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

I build my own.
    Oh yeah! There's this place called Facebook. It has everything about everything and it's all true!
    R.I.P. Jackie Chan.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Front Range, Colorado
    Alright let's get this back on track. I totally agree with what AZ said. Your lungs have more capacity due to your mtb high altitude riding. Which would make them more efficient in a scuba diving scenario. Less work for them to do and short controlled breathing. As far as buoyancy problems I would think that is all controlled through your BC belt. Buoyancy Control device. And weight belt, as you know RC the BC adds air or takes air out of a bladder to control buoyancy.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Like DIRTJUNKIE says, use the weight belt and your BC to adjust. Add another weight, then tweak the BC if you can't get neutral. That should give you more range.
    Then again, I dove for 3 years back when I was in the Army living in Hawaii, 23 years ago. Might be misremembering.

King of Middle Earth
    rockerc, sounds like you'll need a slightly heavier diving belt?
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

King of Middle Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Sorry RC I got nothing, but I am a diver just not of scuba variety.
    What kind of diver are you exactly, DJ????
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

SCUBA and MTBs

What they said. You sound like you're panicking. My instructor was a former SEAL and he barely used any oxygen at all.

I'm a little worried that your instructor seems to not know the cause or solution.

Neutral buoyancy is almost as fun as when you pull a chute.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

High Desert MTBer
    Did another full day (bit pooped) yesterday. Worked on the weights and distribution. I also worked on breath control and wound up with almost as much air as the other 2 (female) students after using 50% more air than them the day before. I also had a rather inefficient regulator that was causing me some effort at any depth below 6', so that did not help. My larger lung capacity has the effect of increasing the degree of buoyancy on the inhale and exhale, and once I had figured out the interval and scale of effect, I was a heap better off. It's good when things start to make sense, and now it's off to the ocean as soon as I can get some time for my final cert dives.

Thanks fellow fishies! Now I gotta go change the BB on the Salsa...
    It's all Here. Now.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

SCUBA and MTBs

Did another full day (bit pooped) yesterday. Worked on the weights and distribution. I also worked on breath control and wound up with almost as much air as the other 2 (female) students after using 50% more air than them the day before. I also had a rather inefficient regulator that was causing me some effort at any depth below 6', so that did not help. My larger lung capacity has the effect of increasing the degree of buoyancy on the inhale and exhale, and once I had figured out the interval and scale of effect, I was a heap better off. It's good when things start to make sense, and now it's off to the ocean as soon as I can get some time for my final cert dives.

Thanks fellow fishies! Now I gotta go change the BB on the Salsa...
    Proof that Brits shouldn't be in the water.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Proof that Brits shouldn't be in the water.
    Visibility in the pool had diminished quite a lot by the time I got out... Maybe I should shower first next time...
    It's all Here. Now.

Ah, I wish I had been able to get through SCUBA class in college. Unfortunately, I was too poor back then for the equipment I'd have to buy (hell, I still am, with bike stuff being a priority).

I was actually amazed that I passed the swim test just to get in. I am a terrible swimmer (didn't learn at all until my teen years), and my ONLY buoyancy comes from my lungs (my legs sink like a rock). It would have been fun to be able to do, though, since I've taken trips to Hawaii and Costa Rica in recent years. While I was on Costa Rica's Pacific coast, which isn't much for SCUBA, I'd have totally gone to the Gulf coast for part of my trip to dive, if I could dive.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Ah, I wish I had been able to get through SCUBA class in college. Unfortunately, I was too poor back then for the equipment I'd have to buy (hell, I still am, with bike stuff being a priority).

I was actually amazed that I passed the swim test just to get in. I am a terrible swimmer (didn't learn at all until my teen years), and my ONLY buoyancy comes from my lungs (my legs sink like a rock). It would have been fun to be able to do, though, since I've taken trips to Hawaii and Costa Rica in recent years. While I was on Costa Rica's Pacific coast, which isn't much for SCUBA, I'd have totally gone to the Gulf coast for part of my trip to dive, if I could dive.
    I get what you're saying about the cost of gear, I was looking around the store that did the written tests, and the thought process went something like:

"Hmm, wetsuits for me and the wife = one 27.5 wheelset... Dive computers = Carbine 27.5 frame... two BCs = Fox 27.5 fork... ROTC, (Rest Of The Crap) = all the rest of the high end components for a new 27.5 bike... renting gear for us both at the resort, marriage intact, bank balance dented but not destroyed, happy wife "

No brainer really...
    It's all Here. Now.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post

Neutral buoyancy is almost as fun as when you pull a chute.
    Pull a chute?

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    What kind of diver are you exactly, DJ????
    Muff
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

SCUBA and MTBs

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Pull a chute?
    Pull a cord....

Meatbomb
    What does the cord do?

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by phillbo View Post
    what does the fox say?
    ftfy
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Check out Craigslist for your gear. I have seen complete sets selling for way below what it would cost from a dive shop. A lot of people take up diving, buy gear and then never use it. They eventually want to make room so it ends up on Craigslist or E-Bay.

It is not unusual for new divers to have increased air consumption. Typically they breath way deeper and faster then they need to. With experience you learn to relax and that will improve your consumption. Another thing is to slow down on the dive. When I first started diving I was in a hurry to see everything and I was racing from place to place. I learned that slowing down allowed me to see the same things and more because my air consumption improved.

I agree with everyone one else about neutral buoyancy being a factor of your weights and your BC. You may need to adjust the position of the weights on your belt or the size of the weights you use. So, instead of two four pound weights you might want to try four two pounders. Spend a dive or two practicing your basics before heading out into the ocean. Remember that your buoyancy will increase in the ocean water so you will need to find your neutral buoyancy all over again.

Trail Prospector
    Visibility in the pool had diminished quite a lot by the time I got out... Maybe I should shower first next time...
    ... or perhaps a change in diet.

The best is the one you want to ride most often..

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

SCUBA and MTBs

AIUUGGHHHH Honestly, that should happen to every person that tries to pee and poop in pools.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast