Thread: Scuba Diving

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Scuba Diving

Anyone here a scuba diver? I started class today to get my 60ft open water certification. Got some more class tomorrow, and a couple dives after that and I will be good to go. Then I'll probably go for my 100ft cert after that. Been fun so far. I want to get certified so I can go do some lionfish hunting. Where I'm at right now, it's an invasive species that they are trying to get rid of. So you can kill as many as you want without any kind of license or anything. And lionfish tastes pretty good so that's a bonus.
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yup. Im certified.

If you are looking to take some classes, take nitrox at a minimum before you get certified for deep.

Ninja Master Powers
    Been certified since 1974. Currently dive a HammerHead Closed Circuit Rebreather.
    Also hold Instructor certs from open water thru Trimix.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What I would like to do eventually is get rescue dive certified. But I will probably wait until I'm back in Boise for that. This location doesn't do any wet/dry suit, or cold water training. So after I get back to Idaho, I will try to get some localized training for that area, and check on advancing my certs.
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

locked - time out
    I got certified while living in Guam from 2001-2004. We did a lot of diving there along the coral reef. I loved diving but haven't been since Guam.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Finished up the academic portion of the class today. All I need to do is open water dives 3 and 4, and one more confined dive. I will be doing those on Thursday.
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    I used to be. Then I had ear troubles and now I'm just the man in the boat.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Man in the Boat thread is that away-------> Boston Marathon Explosion

I have allergy and sinus issues, so I know I will occasionally have ear problems. Yesterday's dive was fine. Today I had to do some ear popping, and by the end of the dive my nose was very stuffed up. Both dives were at the same spot to the same depth.
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

mtbr member
    Lots of diving when I lived in Hawaii and when I my dad still paid for it on family vacations. I've been fortunate to hit a lot of the good spots in the Northern Hemisphere -- Belize, Puerto Rico, Hawaii (Oahu was ok, Kauai was great), Mexico (both sides), even some cold water Puget Sound. Very fun. Descending the "Blue Hole" in Belize was one of the more memorable experiences of my life.

Problem with diving, it can be a very expensive hobby (makes mtbs look like a bargain hobby!), both in terms of equipment and the expensive locations where you will want to go dive. Hence, I haven't done it in about 10 years.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah, I've noticed the cost can go pretty quick. My open water is $350. The advanced open water will be another $250. If I don't buy gear, that's $40 each time I rent. But if I do buy gear, then that's several hundred more. Since I will be going back to Boise, I'm not sure how much diving I will do there. But at least I can say I did it.
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm a master diver, I absolutely love to spearfish on bubbles.
    You will have more fun and meet more interesting people scuba diving than anything else.(except maybe mountain biking)
    And there is nothing more exciting than lining up for a long shot on a monster grouper or hogfish!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Ive actually used my bike to get me to a spring entrance before, its an awesome way to combine 2 awesome sports.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    used to dive as well. was a volunteer at our city's local fire brigade and which offered EMT, RESCUE and FIRE services. was an EMT and cross trained to RESCUE where i got free diving lessons.. was fun till it lasted... went overseas not long after i was starting with my cross training...
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE