One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    Which way is she spinning?
    Yes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0222131505.htm

https://www.newscientist.com/article...in-the-mantle/

The earth's core is quartz crystal that generates fresh water. Any thoughts?

One thing I find interesting about these studies is it correlates with pirate and old navigation lore. There are several documented accounts of fresh water bubbling out of now where in several oceans thus extending ship voyages.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Maaaaan
    That was weird but interesting.
    They know there is liquid water oozing up on mars, although it evaporates mostly.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    BBC - Earth - The strange link between the human mind and quantum physics

I subject I've been interested in since organic chemistry some 20+ years ago. Today I tend to subscribe to the collective reality idea.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    [QUOTE=WHALENARD;13065281]https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0222131505.htm

[url]https://www.newscientist.com/article/2119475

The article notes that the water forms in the mantle, not the core. Very interesting article though.

Fresh water streaming up in a salt water body would more likely be from an artesian groundwater spring in the upper crust than from the mantle.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...rbital-rocket/

This is awesome, I really hope they land this one for a second time.

mtbr member

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Far out theory hopes to detect axions, proving they are dark matter in the process

This mind-bending theory joins black holes, gravitational waves & axions to find new physics - ScienceAlert

wanna ride bikes?
    ^ good article
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

"Fully rigid" isn't a thing.

wanna ride bikes?
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Which came first DNA or ribosomes?

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by whalenard View Post
    which came first dna or ribosomes?
    rna
    dang

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Sure, or we could start with meta-based catalysis on the crystalline surface of minerals. Origins or the evelotion there of doesn't adequately explain the DNA ribosomes relationship where one couldn't exit without the other.

I realize this is directly in your wheelhouse, don't beat me up to bad. Always NEED to know how things work.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Sure, or we could start with meta-based catalysis on the crystalline surface of minerals. Origins or the evelotion there of doesn't adequately explain the DNA ribosomes relationship where one couldn't exit without the other.

I realize this is directly in your wheelhouse, don't beat me up to bad. Always NEED to know how things work.
    Ha! Not quite in my wheelhouse, I usually don't deal with or think of biology in molecular terms. I focus more on organismal biology and population/community level ecology.

I've read theories that DNA originated as an energy storage structure. I don't know the feasibility of this, but there are apparently Archaeans that live in very low-phosphorous environments which have extra copies of chromosomes and will "use up" extra copies when phosphorous and nitrogen are low enough in the environment.

I mean it seems legit. I'm not so sure that RNA couldn't exist without DNA, though. They are structurally similar-ish, the differences being a swap of base pairs and some heinous molecule I purged from memory after taking biochem that makes DNA several orders of magnitude more stable than RNA, which would not be a good medium on which to store genetic information. On the other hand RNA is more flexible in form and function, and mRNA can store genetic info, while others act kind of like enzymes. So I wouldn't find it hard to believe that DNA is some type of modified version of RNA specialized for information storage.
    dang

Maaaaan
    Look man...
    If you're trying for a baby, I could recommend some good books and videos.

mtbr member
    Well, if you want to be technical it was carbohydrate (polysaccharides).
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Cycologist
    Hey, I've been helping my son with his high school biology and I understand this!

Kinda.
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

Maaaaan
    On this date of April 04, 2063, the Borg attacked Zephram Cochrane's missile complex, in an attempt to Destroy the first human warp ship Phoenix and stop First Contact between the Vulcans and Humans. I put Star Trek First Contact in tonight without knowing this, until a bridge scene in the movie, in which Picard asked for the exact date they had traveled to.
    Weird!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Ha! Not quite in my wheelhouse, I usually don't deal with or think of biology in molecular terms. I focus more on organismal biology and population/community level ecology.

I've read theories that DNA originated as an energy storage structure. I don't know the feasibility of this, but there are apparently Archaeans that live in very low-phosphorous environments which have extra copies of chromosomes and will "use up" extra copies when phosphorous and nitrogen are low enough in the environment.

I mean it seems legit. I'm not so sure that RNA couldn't exist without DNA, though. They are structurally similar-ish, the differences being a swap of base pairs and some heinous molecule I purged from memory after taking biochem that makes DNA several orders of magnitude more stable than RNA, which would not be a good medium on which to store genetic information. On the other hand RNA is more flexible in form and function, and mRNA can store genetic info, while others act kind of like enzymes. So I wouldn't find it hard to believe that DNA is some type of modified version of RNA specialized for information storage.
    There are tons of RNA viruses that never involve DNA. But all DNA viruses need RNA (stupid I know but you get the point).

I have always wondered why a more complicated RNA based lifeforms (not virus) has not been found.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    One thing I find interesting about viruses is they themselves are not necessarily "infectious". All the building blocks and raw material for them to do harm already exist in the host. For whatever reason I find that bizarre. How that relationship works with prions and already existing harmful protein structures seems even more alien.

I recently listened to a podcast with what were pitched as some of the leading biologist's of our time. The topic was the relationship of dna and ribosomes. In a nut shell the idea was that without dna there would be no code to make ribosomes and without ribosomes there would be no "machinery" to build dna. So how do either simultaneously show up in a cell? They ran through 4 competing theories as to how and when this came to be which I found very interesting. At the conclusion of the I had a sense neither were convinced of the competing theories hence the topic of the program and my question here.

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
    On this date of April 04, 2063, the Borg attacked Zephram Cochrane's missile complex, in an attempt to Destroy the first human warp ship Phoenix and stop First Contact between the Vulcans and Humans. I put Star Trek First Contact in tonight without knowing this, until a bridge scene in the movie, in which Picard asked for the exact date they had traveled to.
    Weird!!!
    46 years later and that ***hole still doesn't know how to google.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    One thing I find interesting about viruses is they themselves are not necessarily "infectious". All the building blocks and raw material for them to do harm already exist in the host. For whatever reason I find that bizarre. How that relationship works with prions and already existing harmful protein structures seems even more alien.

I recently listened to a podcast with what were pitched as some of the leading biologist's of our time. The topic was the relationship of dna and ribosomes. In a nut shell the idea was that without dna there would be no code to make ribosomes and without ribosomes there would be no "machinery" to build dna. So how do either simultaneously show up in a cell? They ran through 4 competing theories as to how and when this came to be which I found very interesting. At the conclusion of the I had a sense neither were convinced of the competing theories hence the topic of the program and my question here.
    It's been generally accepted that messenger RNA came first, and then double-stranded DNA. Ribosomal and small nuclear RNA came later once the cells started to become "whole" and more specialized. So you can have something evolve to a different type of nucleic acid, and then later modify the original nucleic acid to fit whatever the cell needs for its organelles. Just because an apple evolved into an orange doesn't mean the original apple can't evolve later into different colored apples.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    There are tons of RNA viruses that never involve DNA. But all DNA viruses need RNA (stupid I know but you get the point).

I have always wondered why a more complicated RNA based lifeforms (not virus) has not been found.
    RNA is very chemically unstable, DNA is much more stable. So RNA is OK for very fast dividing entities like viruses that fall apart very quickly but is a poor genetic reservoir of information for a more slowly dividing cell.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Look man...
    If you're trying for a baby, I could recommend some good books and videos.
    DNA came first...

The whole reason ribosomes came about is to translate messenger RNA to protein. Ribosomes are made up of both protein and ribosomal RNA, but they could not do their job if it were not for DNA, so by definition DNA came first. Ribosomes could not be "made up" without using the mRNA that was in turn made from DNA. I hope I'm explaining this OK.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    America's clean air is largely from manufacturing packing up and moving to China. The pollution just got shifted halfway around the world. Automobile emissions improvements are the other major factor. Overall has little to do with the EPA.
    I don't know about that man. I live in California, with very strict air standards. When I go to Arizona or Utah, I can see way more smoke coming out of a truck's tailpipe. A disgusting amount of smoke. I guess people that live in the other 49 states are used to seeing a cloud of smoke come out of a diesel truck's tailpipes. We are not used to it here because it's illegal.

Maaaaan

Maaaaan
    Rumble rumble.
    I haven't been watching Mauna Loa too close the last few months.
    I checked tonight and found out the fumaroles in the summit area had a increase in temperature back in January. That means it's heating up.

There is an earthquake swarm in the area of summit inflation the last few days.

Science.-hvo-image.jpg

Maaaaan
    Rumble rumble.
    I checked tonight and found out the fumaroles in the summit area had a increase in temperature back in January. That means it's heating up.

There is an earthquake swarm in the area of summit inflation the last few days. (The cluster of colored circles near the image center)

The lower right cluster is Kilauea's ongoing eruption.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HVO Image.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	1132032

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    RNA is very chemically unstable, DNA is much more stable. So RNA is OK for very fast dividing entities like viruses that fall apart very quickly but is a poor genetic reservoir of information for a more slowly dividing cell.
    Sure, that is true for the most part but there are great examples of very stable RNA structures. The 2KB LAT from HSV-1 for example. But that is inert (or thought to be!). For RNA viruses, the mutation rate is driven by the sloppy RNA polymerase. But why has this not been selected to be better?

NDD
    Baby boy
    Sure, that is true for the most part but there are great examples of very stable RNA structures. The 2KB LAT from HSV-1 for example. But that is inert (or thought to be!). For RNA viruses, the mutation rate is driven by the sloppy RNA polymerase. But why has this not been selected to be better?
    I wonder if the negative aspects of mutation are more inert when you're not your own reproductive machine. Like all of the genetic diversity with fewer consequences.
    dang

mtbr member
    What Has 1,800 Teeth and a Suction Cup? A New Clingfish Species
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/1-800-tee...164600750.html

Calgon, take me away!
    Rumble rumble.

There is an earthquake swarm in the area of summit inflation the last few days. (The cluster of colored circles near the image center)

The lower right cluster is Kilauea's ongoing eruption.

Name:	HVO Image.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	1132032
    Ok, thanks. Thought it was Uranus there for a second.
    Banshee Prime

gobsmacked Moderator
    I'm a big fan of science and space. Super excited about the Cassini pictures:

Has anybody else been to the Kennedy Space Center? So fun.

Maaaaan
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    I'm a big fan of science and space. Super excited about the Cassini pictures:

Has anybody else been to the Kennedy Space Center? So fun.
    I wish I could go to Kennedy or the Smithsonian.
    I'm trying to follow Cassini's passes live today, but the video feed is overloaded and locks up.

wanna ride bikes?
    Scientists discover massive reservoir of greenhouse gases | Daily Mail Online

Interesting. Probably why Mass Extinctions are often linked to big volcanic eruptions.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    Icy Enceladus’s tiger stripes are a window on its watery depths

https://www.newscientist.com/article...watery-depths/

mtbr member
    ur, so religious nuts really have brain damage?

mtbr member
    ur, so religious nuts really have brain damage?
    It wouldn't surprise me.

wanna ride bikes?
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Cycologist
    We've all heard how we need to preserve species as they may hold the answers to future medicines. Well, here's an example:

Snake venom is key ingredient in experimental antiplatelet drug - CNN.com
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    We've all heard how we need to preserve species as they may hold the answers to future medicines. Well, here's an example:

Snake venom is key ingredient in experimental antiplatelet drug - CNN.com
    They may be onto something

mtbr member
    Hmmm makes you think. Of course the world is flat so the sun sets every day over the edge until the sun re-appears on the other side.

mtbr member
    Hmmm makes you think. Of course the world is flat so the sun sets every day over the edge until the sun re-appears on the other side.

Those flat earthers are irrational and literally too stupid to know that they are stupid.

wanna ride bikes?
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member

wanna ride bikes?
    ^ that's one of the cooler things I've seen in a while!! How I have to try it myself.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just tried it...really cool although I could not get it to light that high. I could only manage a couple of inches.

wanna ride bikes?
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

wanna ride bikes?
    stay up on your cosmic current events.

Top 10 Recently Discovered Cosmic Phenomena - Listverse
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member

Hey science guys / gals ?

Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    stay up on your cosmic current events.

Top 10 Recently Discovered Cosmic Phenomena - Listverse
    Is there any Cosmic Phenomena due soon. Found this in my gloom and doom studies. 93% track record with this guy. Any thoughts? Beware July 20th & 21st | King World News This kind of stuff is not usually on KWN.
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    93% track record with this guy.
    source?

wanna ride bikes?
    Is there any Cosmic Phenomena due soon. Found this in my gloom and doom studies. 93% track record with this guy. Any thoughts? Beware July 20th & 21st | King World News This kind of stuff is not usually on KWN.
    Making financial/market predictions based on the alignment of the planets? Sounds scientific to me.

There's a minor meteor shower coming up but nothing big that I'm aware of.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    source?
    I can't get to it now but I took a pic of the article and I found it scrounging off the info in the KWN article. Thats huge because he's got that hit rate is on 1500 calls. He's well known. Not on my computer ... @ the ex's place on her computer now.

mtbr member

Pic here

Science.-img_0076.jpg His latest deal is in 3 and 4 days ... we see? Can someone save the universe pic for me?

Cycologist
    Did you read that? He had a 93.2% accuracy rate in predicting shortwave radio propagation over the North Atlantic in 1967. Considering he was working as an engineer in 1946, possibly earlier, this guy very well might not even be alive today.

But hey, if you want to make financial decisions off this kind of crap, go right ahead.

mtbr member
    Did you read that? He had a 93.2% accuracy rate in predicting shortwave radio propagation over the North Atlantic in 1967. Considering he was working as an engineer in 1946, possibly earlier, this guy very well might not even be alive today.

But hey, if you want to make financial decisions off this kind of crap, go right ahead.
    We don't know if it's and earthquake or something else ... Art's trying to find out ... prolly no big deal! Beware July 20th & 21st
    A portion of today’s note from legend Art Cashin: A Vague Warning From A Friend Sparks A Trip Down Memory Lane – A friend called out of the blue, and said “I’m told you should be very careful around July 20th and 21st.” “Careful of what?”, I asked. “I don’t know, exactly but this guy, who’s very good with cycles, said that you need to be very careful around those two days”, he replied.

Cycologist
    Looking at the article, it doesn't even correspond to what you are saying. And no where else is anyone making any claim of "Art" (Art Cashin) saying anything remotely like this. And funny how there is no byline on the article, just © 2017 by King World News.

For someone who started "See you later fake news"; you sure seem to enjoy sharing fake news.

mtbr member
    Looking at the article, it doesn't even correspond to what you are saying. And no where else is anyone making any claim of "Art" (Art Cashin) saying anything remotely like this. And funny how there is no byline on the article, just © 2017 by King World News.

For someone who started "See you later fake news"; you sure seem to enjoy sharing fake news.
    Ha ha ... I just thought someone here might have something on it. I'll go back home to Norcal soon enough. Until till then I'll see you later man!

Maaaaan

They've been predicting shortwave distance and quality way before that guy...
    It has to do with solar cycles.
    I'm licensed by the FCC so I know these things.

Ancient Rascal has made it clear he believes in VooDoo.

Rabid Lana fan
    I'm looking very forward to July 21st.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    I think Art needs to explain why he had to share his buddy's phone call. Should nothing show by the 21st ... He should also never have any KWN content posted and showing up in the OC by any MTBR member. But should something happen he gets to say ... I tried to warn you? PS Explosive diarrhea is not nothing-chuckha62 ... That is all!

wanna ride bikes?
    Is there any Cosmic Phenomena due soon.
    I found it, there's a solar eclipse.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/sci...tality-awesome

I'm going to Vegas and putting it all on Red.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Rabid Lana fan
    I think Art needs to explain why he had to share his buddy's phone call. Should nothing show by the 21st ... He should also never have any KWN content posted and showing up in the OC by any MTBR member. But should something happen he gets to say ... I tried to warn you? PS Explosive diarrhea is not nothing-chuckha62 ... That is all!
    July 21st - Lana's new album release date.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Science.-capture.jpg  

mtbr member

The plot thickens ... Nice work OneSpeed

Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    I found it, there's a solar eclipse.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/sci...tality-awesome

I'm going to Vegas and putting it all on Red.
    Can this warning be related to gravity? John Nelson gave Astrology credence and that is part of his story eh? What about the other planets ... forming something? Where are they gonna be hanging this weekend? Who knows if Mr. Nelson is still alive? Twilight Zone music plays in the background.

occ member
    July 21st - Lana's new album release date.
    Haha! I should have known.

mtbr member

Here you go Art

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...1&action=click The answer Art is looking for? It's earthquake warnings? Rare 5 planetary event. Edit: Just watched the 5 planet vid and what pops up right after it was Art talking with a news guy from the floor of the stock exchange. Yes I do have the pic and under it is the get your telescopes ready for the event starting on the 20th.

wanna ride bikes?
    Can this warning be related to gravity? John Nelson gave Astrology credence and that is part of his story eh? What about the other planets ... forming something? Where are they gonna be hanging this weekend? Who knows if Mr. Nelson is still alive? Twilight Zone music plays in the background.
    Astrology? Did you mean astronomy? Astrology has no place in the science thread TYVM.

Otherwise yeah, I almost mentioned this earlier but the connection to financial markets was too absurd to connect to anything scientific.

planetary alignments have been documented as causing earthquakes under the right circumstances, even used to predict quakes in some regions. Example: when the moon, Venus, and sun(?) align on one side of the earth and Mars and Jupiter align on the other, and a susceptible region of earth aligns perfectly, quakes can happen. Or something like that, you get the gist. I'm not curious enough to look into when and where things will line up since this conversation is no longer about what initiated it… Recently discovered cosmic phenomena!!!
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member

Yes Astrology

Mr. Nelson's work was Astrology based using angular aspects. He was afraid to admit it so he called it Astro Physics. I think he has some credence among scientists for this. I'll dig for the article again if you like? There is no connection to investment prediction ... simply a friend of Art's making a phone call with a warning.

Cycologist
    Science.-nelson.jpg

Cycologist
    Mr. Nelson's work was Astrology based using angular aspects. He was afraid to admit it so he called it Astro Physics. I think he has some credence among scientists for this. I'll dig for the article again if you like? There is no connection to investment prediction ... simply a friend of Art's making a phone call with a warning.
    And there is no evidence of Art ever saying anything about this other than a poorly written article listing no sources and no byline on a questionable website.

mtbr member

Name:	Nelson.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	1147138
    Thanks chazpat and this is my last link in Science unless Art has another warning! Time-Price-Research: John H. Nelson - Cosmic Patterns

mtbr member
    Which way is she spinning?

Any way she wants ... She's a switch spinner! Science not my strong suit!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Any way she wants ... She's a switch spinner! Science not my strong suit!
    I noticed when I watch her chest & shoulder area she seems to be spinning CCW, but when you look at her face she appears to be switching back and forth.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby Woof (MCM700) View Post
    I noticed when I watch her chest & shoulder area she seems to be spinning CCW, but when you look at her face she appears to be switching back and forth.
    I would like to know the answer. Is it a total screen generated optical illusion with no spinning at all or does she spin in both directions at the same time? Someone connect the dots for us.

occ member
    Coming or going?

Rabid Lana fan
    AR, have you seen this one before? Which way is she twirling?

mtbr member
    AR, have you seen this one before? Which way is she twirling?

Hahahaha ... The arriving train was interesting eh?

Rabid Lana fan
    You mean the departing train?

mtbr member
    You mean the departing train?
    I suppose I'm wrong again?
    What's your spin on the dotted woman?

Rabid Lana fan
    If I watch her face, it just goes back and forth from clockwise to counterclockwise. The shoulder area, I can see it go both ways, but not as easily as the face area.

The train, I can see both directions almost at will.

The spinning ballerina, I really need to mess around with focus, and peripheral vision, to get her to change direction.

Cycologist
    I would like to know the answer. Is it a total screen generated optical illusion with no spinning at all or does she spin in both directions at the same time? Someone connect the dots for us.
    It's because she is a mesh that you can see through and a 2 dimensional portrayal of a 3D object. When she changes direction, you are actually seeing her face from the backside but there is no shadow, etc so you don't know if you are seeing her from the front or seeing through her and then seeing the mesh.

Funny, it sounds like ZW first focused on her chest rather than her face.

Cycologist
    If I watch her face, it just goes back and forth from clockwise to counterclockwise. The shoulder area, I can see it go both ways, but not as easily as the face area.

The train, I can see both directions almost at will.

The spinning ballerina, I really need to mess around with focus, and peripheral vision, to get her to change direction.
    Ok Net, let's see the ballerina spinning on the train platform. And then see whose head explodes.

Rabid Lana fan
    Ok Net, let's see the ballerina spinning on the train platform. And then see whose head explodes.
    Can you see her spinning in either direction?

Cycologist
    Can you see her spinning in either direction?
    Yes, but it is hard to get her to change direction.

Rabid Lana fan
    Same here. To me, that's the best illusion out there. People who can't see the other direction will argue to death about how you're wrong.

Cycologist
    I can't figure out how our brain is interpreting that. Being just black, there is still the "can't tell if looking at front or back" but I can't figure out how the left/right can swap.

occ member
    If the frames in the gif were slowed down so each one lasted for a second or two, it'd show our brains how it moves.

Does that make any sense?

Rabid Lana fan
    If I remember right about reading up on that one, it basically just goes back and forth 180°, and your brain decides to add a direction to make it go in a perceived circle.

Cycologist
    Opened it in Fireworks. Clicking through frame by frame, my brain interprets it as she is spinning clockwise for 180 degrees and then spins counterclockwise 180 degrees. But again, being just a silhouette, the brain can interpret the second part to be her backside still spinning clockwise or her frontside coming back counterclockwise. I think our brains interpret it as a 3D object and probably decides one side is the front so then sees it spinning

oh hell, I give up!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Minds are blown in here. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

Cycologist
    Name:  spin_chick.png
Views: 42
Size:  111.3 KB

If you look at this still, you can see it both as she is facing toward you, looking to your left (her right) or facing away from you, still looking to the left (yours and hers). Is that her left boob or her right boob? Even seeing this both ways takes some effort.

Rabid Lana fan
    I can see that both ways far easier than making the animation change direction.

mtbr member
    It's easier for me now after a year. Cover up everything except the feet with yur hand. Close your eyes nd imagine it spinning a certain direction. Then you will see the feet moving that way and remove ur hand.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    If the frames in the gif were slowed down so each one lasted for a second or two, it'd show our brains how it moves.

Does that make any sense?
    Science.-spin_chick_super_slow.gif

This is 1/4 of the total frames (I kept every 4th frame) and then duplicated each frame 9 times to cause the slo-mo. Since it is all black, our brains cannot tell what is her front or back. So it decides it is looking at the front (or back) and then "sees" her rotating around 360, "seeing" her back (or front). Looking at this one, I can also see her rotating 180 then changing direction and rotating back, especially if I just watch her legs.

occ member
    ^^I'm having a hard time getting her to spin counter clockwise, and I think it might be because of the foot, I don't know.

The train is the easiest to switch, the ballerina is a bit tougher.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    ^^I'm having a hard time getting her to spin counter clockwise, and I think it might be because of the foot, I don't know.

The train is the easiest to switch, the ballerina is a bit tougher.
    Once you get her going counter clockwise it is a "mindblower." Clockwise is dominating me thinks and looking back down at the feet during counter clockwise switches back to the main clockwise for me. All about the foot shadow and the pony tail to throw a wrench in the works? The science guy needs an answer about the train ... we can't have it both ways ... arriving or departing?

Cycologist
    Ok, I've messed with Fireworks very little but found a lot easier way to slow her down, I can just set a state delay for each image. I figured as such but couldn't find it before.

btw, the train is only 4 images. I tried to see inside or look for unique markings on the exterior to see where they appear in the next image but I couldn't find anything definite.

Science.-spin_chick_super_slow_02.gif

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast