Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolling coal

Perpetual n00b

Upset Rolling coal

My wife and I were stopped at a light on our way home on a main drag today and a F350 dually diesel pulls up next to us making a racket. It was almost 50 degrees today so I had my window rolled down but I rolled it back up because the noise that truck was making was so loud and annoying. The light turns green and he proceeds to smoke out (roll coal) the entire intersection. I couldn't see a damn thing and my wife started coughing (good thing I rolled up the window!). It took a good 20 seconds for things to clear out so we could proceed through the intersection. The next light is only about a quarter mile down the road and it's red. This time I am stopped 2 cars behind him. At this point I am fuming and lately my fuse has been pretty short when it comes to inconsiderate stunts like this . I got out of my car (dumb I know) and knock on his passenger side window. He rolls down the rear window, obviously confused about what is going on, rolls it back up and rolls down the passenger side window. I shout "Could you please not do that again?" (I have to yell because the truck is so damn loud). The light turns green and I start walking back to my car and he blows a little more smoke as he leaves the light. Surprisingly, no one behind me is honking at me to get the hell out of the way probably because they can't see the light is green anyway.

Did I overreact? Did I underreact? Should I have dragged him out of his vehicle and wrapped his face around his exhaust pipe for a taste of his own medicine? Should I have sat there and accepted it like a typical 21st century non-confrontational little bish? Maybe I wouldn't have reacted the way I did if I was alone since my wife coughing is what really set off my temporary psychosis. If I had this happen while riding my bike to work I don't know what I would have done.

Anyone else seeing this trend or had this happen to them lately?
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

Binned
    Nov 2008
    The only thing I would have done if I were you is to take down his license plate, take pics or record him doing the stunt and (most importantly) the disruption caused by the after effects of the smoke cloud (your wife coughing in the background would have been great and your narration), and turned it in to the police.

The fact that you exited your vehicle in the street among traffic (moving or not) was unwise and unsafe. I see you realize that. Fighting fire with fire does not put the fire out.

Sorry you and your wife had to experience that.

I live in a city that has EXTREMELY strict police. Most people complain about it but the fact is, they keep trouble under control here.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    It's obvious that he parks his penis in the garage.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Yeah I agree jumping out and confronting him is just asking for it to get out of hand. I'm the same way I have a hard time controlling myself with inconciderate morans. But jumping out and confronting him could result in a some bad stuff. He could have a gun or be some whack job and run you down.

I moves from So. Cal to Colorado a year or so ago.
    And in San Diego this rolling coal was pretty rare.
    Out here in Colorado its pretty popular with the
    young redneck crowd. They buy big lifted diesal trucks and install stacks. Which is exhaust pipes that stick out of the back of the bed behind the cab. To simulate an eighteen wheeler. Apparently its the cool thing to do with the rednecks. And they do something to the motors to blow thicker black smoke than normal diesel trucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    It's obvious that he parks his penis in the garage.
    I have to think that the F350 dually had a big ballsack hanging down from the rear axle.

mtbr member
    you should have told him.. You were sorry about his penis.

While smashing his headlights with a bat.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    A knife to the tires usually stops them from doing that again.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Shoulda asked him when was the last time he used that bigass truck for anything more than driving around town.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post

Results in jail too.

Perpetual n00b

Rolling coal

Quote Originally Posted by AZ View Post
    Results in jail too.
    And it wouldn't do any good anyway. He'd just figure "Well I'm stuck in this intersection with flat tires. I'll just roll some coal til the cops show up!"

AZ
    banned
    Yeah, responding to these guy's with violence or violent acts just feeds their skewed vision of the world and validates their actions in their own feeble minds. No sense in getting locked up over some small minded person. Log their licence plate, take photos or video if you can and pass it on to the police. I know in AZ. there are several citations that can be issued, one being misusing resources.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ View Post
    Results in jail too.
    Well, you pretty much drove a stake through the heart of this thread.

Mods, move it away from Off Camber now, please.

Big Mac

Rolling coal

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Ever tried to do that? It's not as easy as you'd think.

Terrain Sculptor
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Yes, and you're right.
    Cutting valve stems is pretty easy though. Not that I'd advocate that either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    They buy big lifted diesal trucks and install stacks. Which is exhaust pipes that stick out of the back of the bed behind the cab. To simulate an eighteen wheeler. Apparently its the cool thing to do with the rednecks. And they do something to the motors to blow thicker black smoke than normal diesel trucks.
    I wonder if I can get some of these for my Prius?!? I just got a hitch so I can put on a bike rack and a big brass ballsack, stacks 'd be the icing on the cake!
    It's all Here. Now.

****** to the dirt
    nah just put a banana in the tailpipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

Perpetual n00b
    Slash a lot of tires, do ya?

Rabid Lana fan
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I wonder if I can get some of these for my Prius?!? I just got a hitch so I can put on a bike rack and a big brass ballsack, stacks 'd be the icing on the cake!
    Icing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rolling coal-prius-rollin-coal.png  

rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

Big Mac

Rolling coal

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Slash a lot of tires, do ya?
    No, I don't. As I said before, it ain't easy.

Perpetual n00b
    No, I don't. As I said before, it ain't easy.
    You ain't kidding!

Meatbomb
    I drive an F250 diesel but it is not lifted nor will it blow that much smoke even if I tried. It will smoke a small amount if I have to get into it to maybe pass someone on a hill while towing the boat.

I hate seeing dumb stuff like this as well. He obviously had a chip turned up.
    Last edited by Phillbo; 01-13-2014 at 11:24 AM.

Redcoat

Rolling coal

Put a potato in his exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Brockwan View Post

No, it belongs in his ass.

I'm just messing with you
    It takes a big-ass spud to block off a diesel exhaust. A softball might work better. If he's rolling coal on demand he's monkeying with the chip. If it's happening without him messing with it, it's got problems and won't be running too much longer.

Mine's not chipped and I'm not even sure it would do it if I tried.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member

Re: Rolling coal

I work with a bunch of rednecks that drool over diesel trucks that can "roll coal". Seems to me that blowing smoke out of their tailpipe gives rednecks some sort of rush that only a person of well below average intelligence can understand

Perpetual n00b

Rod
    mtbr member
    What I hate is riding my road bike and these guys pass me and "roll coal." I never knew what it was called until this thread.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    What I hate is riding my road bike and these guys pass me and "roll coal." I never knew what it was called until this thread.
    Like this?

Meatbomb
    That guy is a class A dick and needs his ass kicked.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Good to have a name for it. I see it every now and then here in Fort Collins.
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Icing
    Heheh! Awesome! I'm off to the Prius Forum to see where I can get me sum!

Prius looks good in red too, may have to respray mine (it's black) 'cos that'll bring out the gold color in the knutsack
    It's all Here. Now.

Rabid Lana fan
    But black will hide the sooty residue that's bound to build up once you start "rolling coal"!

since 4/10/2009

I'm going to guess this thing had an exhaust tip you could fit your head inside. Saw plenty of those in TX.

High Desert MTBer
    But black will hide the sooty residue that's bound to build up once you start "rolling coal"!
    I guess the sooty residue is part of the look... kind of a badge of honor...
    It's all Here. Now.

These are the stacks I was talking about earlier. Here in Colorado all the young rednecks are doing it. And the term "Rolling Coal" is a slang term they use. The first time I heard it was a couple months ago. I picked my 13 year old nephew up from football practice. And a truck like that rolled by with the stacks spewing forth black smoke. My nephew says "cool he's rolling coal". I laughed asked he's what? "He's rolling coal that's what it's called" Me "whatever kid", he's a jerk"
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

High Desert MTBer
    These are the stacks I was talking about earlier. Here in Colorado all the young rednecks are doing it. And the term "Rolling Coal" is a slang term they use. The first time I heard it was a couple months ago. I picked my 13 year old nephew up from football practice. And a truck like that rolled by with the stacks spewing forth black smoke. My nephew says "cool he's rolling coal". I laughed asked he's what? "He's rolling coal that's what it's called" Me "whatever kid", he's a jerk"
    That young redneck must be a mere beginner as he has not made it to "Brass Knutsack" status yet. I am sure it wont be too long tho, he is showing a degree of numbskullishness almost beyond redemption...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    If living in the USA I wouldnt have done what you did - because of people like this:

Does anyone conceal carry when they ride?

which could lead into something like this:

Police: Man said enraged motorist chased him 15 miles - CNN.com

In locations where guns are not a god given right then maybe getting out and having a word is a great plan.

My wife and I were stopped at a light on our way home on a main drag today and a F350 dually diesel pulls up next to us making a racket. It was almost 50 degrees today so I had my window rolled down but I rolled it back up because the noise that truck was making was so loud and annoying. The light turns green and he proceeds to smoke out (roll coal) the entire intersection. I couldn't see a damn thing and my wife started coughing (good thing I rolled up the window!). It took a good 20 seconds for things to clear out so we could proceed through the intersection. The next light is only about a quarter mile down the road and it's red. This time I am stopped 2 cars behind him. At this point I am fuming and lately my fuse has been pretty short when it comes to inconsiderate stunts like this . I got out of my car (dumb I know) and knock on his passenger side window. He rolls down the rear window, obviously confused about what is going on, rolls it back up and rolls down the passenger side window. I shout "Could you please not do that again?" (I have to yell because the truck is so damn loud). The light turns green and I start walking back to my car and he blows a little more smoke as he leaves the light. Surprisingly, no one behind me is honking at me to get the hell out of the way probably because they can't see the light is green anyway.

Did I overreact? Did I underreact? Should I have dragged him out of his vehicle and wrapped his face around his exhaust pipe for a taste of his own medicine? Should I have sat there and accepted it like a typical 21st century non-confrontational little bish? Maybe I wouldn't have reacted the way I did if I was alone since my wife coughing is what really set off my temporary psychosis. If I had this happen while riding my bike to work I don't know what I would have done.

Anyone else seeing this trend or had this happen to them lately?

mtbr member
    I live in an area where diesel trucks are extremely popular with the 16-30 age group (males and females, believe it or not). It reminds me of when I was in high school and everyone had to have a Honda Civic that had some fluorescent colored wheels to contrast the black rattle-can paint job and spoiler. All these kids think that because their truck blows smoke it has incredible power, and that a rattle-can paintjob on the body and wheels makes a truck with 250k miles from the late 80s worth 10k bucks, body rust, bald tires, mechanical problems and all.

Like this?
    Serious jackass and he needs his ass kicked. And that video was taken over a pass in Colorado. Just as I stated about the punks out here driving those rigs.

Meatbomb
    Not all diesel drivers are bad though... I drive one because I need it to tow my boat.

Rabid Lana fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Not all diesel drivers are bad though...
    Yep. An example of one tiny faction of a group casting the whole group into a negative light.

I've seen that happen before.

Perpetual n00b

Rolling coal

Yep. An example of one tiny faction of a group casting the whole group into a negative light.

I've seen that happen before.
    Equestrians, hikers, stravatards etc etc

Binned
    Nov 2008
    You don't see this going on in the Los Angeles area. There are plenty of macho diesel trucks like that around, too but I don't see any of them with those tall exhaust dumps. I wounder if it's illegal here?

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Here is whats in store for rolling coal crowd.

'Penis pumps' waste Medicare millions: inspector general - U.S. News

mtbr member
    No, it belongs in his ass.
    Serious jackass and he needs his ass kicked.
    I'm liking where this thread has gone...

High Desert MTBer
    Here is whats in store for rolling coal crowd.

'Penis pumps' waste Medicare millions: inspector general - U.S. News
    Huh? They're all gonna get old with Erectile Dysfunction? We can only hope, but it may take a few years...
    It's all Here. Now.

banned
    Some guy just got killed over texting in a theater in FL -- during the previews.

Most things just aren't worth the risk of a confrontation.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    Some guy just got killed over texting in a theater in FL -- during the previews.

Most things just aren't worth the risk of a confrontation.
    Texting during previews should only be a broken limb... rustling popcorn bags during the main feature is death...
    It's all Here. Now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    I'm liking where this thread has gone...
    FB those comments had nothing to do with the OP's story. They were directed at the video that's posted above. Here's a link to it, check it out and see if your comment is similar. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdDxjge...%3DZdDxjge5hmY

Perpetual n00b
    FB those comments had nothing to do with the OP's story. They were directed at the video that's posted above. Here's a link to it, check it out and see if your comment is similar. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdDxjge...%3DZdDxjge5hmY
    I have an idea. Let's start a fight club with the coal rollers. A fight club where one half of the members don't know they are in a fight club. I can see it now...

Cyclist: POW!

Coal rolling choad licker: "Ow wtf bro?!"

Cyclist: "Oh I'm sorry didn't you get my fight club invitation?"

Coal rolling salad tosser: "What?? No!"

Cyclist: "Oh ok let me send you another..." WHAM! Name:  punch.gif
Views: 1463
Size:  1.2 KB

It would be like the knockout game for people that deserve it
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member

Rolling coal

I have an idea. Let's start a fight club with the coal rollers.
    Not sure where I would fit in with this. Should I just sucker punch myself?

Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Not sure where I would fit in with this. Should I just sucker punch myself?

Day job:
    Technician @ Cummins West Inc.
    Sigh. If you must... Then say 10 hail Mary's or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Should I just sucker punch myself?
    Yes, even if you don't own a car, but can you sucker punch yourself? You'd always know it was coming.

Perpetual n00b
    Well, at least I didn't flip sh!t over someone buying 22 items in the 20 items or less checkout lane at walmart!

This is what society becomes when you elect an Irish president! Thanks, Baragh O'Bama!

****** to the dirt
    Well, at least I didn't flip sh!t over someone buying 22 items in the 20 items or less checkout lane at walmart!

This is what society becomes when you elect an Irish president! Thanks, Baragh O'Bama!
    Dang kids where is the respect these days.
    My Blog

High Desert MTBer

What about the Irish?!?

Blazing Saddles "We Don't Want the Irish!" - YouTube
    It's all Here. Now.

Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    I just read the guy is planning to use the "Stand your ground" defense.

Rod
    mtbr member
    [QUOTE=dgw2jr;10933549]Like this?

Yep, like that. It appears to be worse when the truck is slow moving. I may be wrong, but I think it can put out more soot.

****** to the dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Yes he must have been allergic to popcorn.
    My Blog

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    I did not know what this was termed, but I had it happen to me on a ride here in Lafayette, CO a few weeks ago. I was out on the roadie getting some miles in because mud. This big old jacked up diesel truck with stacks and the big gothic white lettering across the rear window smoked me (and buzzed me) out east on Baseline. Not only did he buzz me with like 2" to spare but he blew a huge cloud of smoke, went flying up to the stop light jammed on the brakes and pulled into the bike lane to cut me off. I was kind of "um, wtf you are totally a nitwit" and gave him some space. Being as I am an old bike messenger I save my rage for vehicles that actually touch me in some way... long as no contact is made I generally just blow it off. The smoke cloud tho, that was heinous.

Light changes, dude peels out in another massive cloud of smoke and ALL OF A SUDDEN A WILD SHERIFF APPEARS from behind us flips on his light bar and pulls Captain Micropenis over. I stopped to have a pleasant chat with the cop and he said "oh yea I saw it happen, he's gonna get road rage / aggressive menacing tacked onto his many other citations for that show".

BAM. instant karma. I believe I titled that ride "instant karma" on Strava, actually.

The White Jeff W

Captain Micropenis. :thumbup:
    No moss...

mtbr member

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post

Yep, like that. It appears to be worse when the truck is slow moving. I may be wrong, but I think it can put out more soot.
    Yea if it's a stick shift they can put it in high gear at low speed and mash the throttle to get it to run super rich. Since the RPM is too low to get the turbo boosting all the excess fuel gets dumped out the exhaust. A lot of these guys mod the ECU or an emissions control device under the hood to get it to dump excess fuel.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    ^^ Where is the handicap license plate? It kills me to see jacked up 4x4's in the handicap parking spots. I always thought handicap parking spots for for wheel chairs, not lazy fat people.

Perpetual n00b
    Super doody! lulz

banned
    Sep 2007
    Yea if it's a stick shift they can put it in high gear at low speed and mash the throttle to get it to run super rich. Since the RPM is too low to get the turbo boosting all the excess fuel gets dumped out the exhaust. A lot of these guys mod the ECU or an emissions control device under the hood to get it to dump excess fuel.
    Diesels are not stoicheometric in air /fuel ratios. The do not run lean or rich fuel mixtures. There's is plenty of air and oxygen to burn the proper amount of fuel injected at any engine speed with a proper CARB /EPA 50 state approved tune in the vehicle, as it left the dealerships. This is soley a case of punk idiots modifying the fueling maps to overfuel and inject more fuel than the motor can burn. What happens next is unburnt fuel in the form of hydrcarbon soot ends up going out the exhaust system, still burning. It stops burning when not under enough heat and pressure, not enough time to burn in the cylinder, and it goes out the tail pipe unburnt as soot. Any old school diesel driver with a turbo knows full well that you don't mash a throttle on a turbo diesel vehicle. You roll your foot into it, over a 3/4 to 1 second period, to allow the turbo to spool up and boost pressure, to burn the additional fuel being injected. These are dumb, careless, retarded punks that do these mods to their vehicles. That black exhaust is highly carcenogenic. Huge irritant to the aveoli in your lungs. Black lung, any one?

The owner and all family member should be subjected to 24 hours of coal rolling exhaust from their trucks in their home as a Darwin Award Trophy to celebrate their love for rolling coal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I made this handy little pie graph a few years ago:

Rabid Lana fan
    "Rolling Coal" is the worst automotive related trend ever.

At least the other awful trends - mid eighties G.M vehicles 'Donked Out' , 'spinner hubcaps', the little tiny wheels on little jap cars that stuck way out and looked like skateboard wheels, book shelves on the back of 'fast and furious' Hondas, all these things were strickly visual pollution.

Well, fart can exhaust tips are also audio pollution, I guess.

But this 'coal rolling' needs to be addressed by law enforcement, it is pretty phuckin horrible.

mtbr member
    As I mentioned in a previous post, I live in an area full of diesel f*cks. I don't do much road riding because they "team up" to find group rides and smoke them all out. I've seen pictures of trucks blowing smoke on FB that friends have liked or commented on with quotes like "out huntin' cyclists" and "smokin' out bikers". If you guys want I could point out about 10 guys who need their brake lines cut.

Rabid Lana fan
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    .... need their brake lines cut.
    Not that I think anyone would actually act on this impulse, but in a fantasy world where they really did, they might be better served to use a hypho needle and poke a tiny hole in the rubber part of the brake hoses, where the metal brake tubing is connected at each wheel.

The idea is that if you just flat out cut a line, they will know something's up with the brakes before they even start the vehicle, cuz what do you do first thing when you get in?

Right, you put your foot on the brake pedal. With cut lines, the pedal goes right to the floor and they don't even to bother start it up.

A tiny hole in a rubber brake hose, however, the idea is the brakes might actually "feel" OK initially, but by the time they get up to speed, now the pedal starts to "go away".

Perpetual n00b
    Not that I think anyone would actually act on this impulse, but in a fantasy world where they really did, they might be better served to use a hypho needle and poke a tiny hole in the rubber part of the brake hoses, where the metal brake tubing is connected at each wheel.

The idea is that if you just flat out cut a line, they will know something's up with the brakes before they even start the vehicle, cuz what do you do first thing when you get in?

Right, you put your foot on the brake pedal. With cut lines, the pedal goes right to the floor and they don't even to bother start it up.

A tiny hole in a rubber brake hose, however, the idea is the brakes might actually "feel" OK initially, but by the time they get up to speed, now the pedal starts to "go away".
    Name:  44905618.jpg
Views: 10244
Size:  119.2 KB

mtbr member

I get that however it's much easier to just say cut the brake lines

Rabid Lana fan
    Good point.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Of course he is. This is Florida we're talking about.

They'd just use some poor innocent schmuck as a backstop to run into. Lots of things that could be done though. Big trucks sit up high. Loosen up a few bolts on the differential cover. Won't take long for it to run dry and given them a fine repair bill to pay.

Moving back and forth between bike and car sites can be a nerve-wracking experience. Sometimes it seems like both sides are beating me up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I used to work as an automotive mechanic and we'd always spitball about what the worst thing you could do to someone's car would be (obviously with the intent of costing them lots of money and/or time but not physically harming them).

The best idea we ever came up with was to crimp their fuel lines down to about nothing in a really hidden spot. The end result would be the car idling fine but choking out as soon as any kind of a load was applied. On a diesel truck i suspect they would be several thousand dollars into repairs (fuel pumps and such) before someone figured out what was up.

I think on my truck at least I'd figure that out pretty quick since there are two fuel pumps, one at the tank (the lift pump) and one at the engine for the injectors. So I'd have good fuel at the lift pump but none at the injector pump.

But it'd screw me over pretty good if the truck runs because the fuel cools the injector pump and if that fails it's thousands to fix. A failed or failing lift pump will kill the injector pump. Past just the pump cost, the lift pump could be replaced by a shadetree guy like me, but the injector pump involves the local Cummins shop to fix it.

I was a mechanic too, back in the late 70s, early 80s, specializing in front end work and beer drinking.

I didn't do it
    A lot of these guys mod the ECU or an emissions control device under the hood to get it to dump excess fuel.
    I seriously question the IQ of anybody who would do this. To actually make modifications with the sole purpose of creating more smoke is beyond my comprehension.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Meatbomb

It's nice to know that this post got me my first Neg Rep. Thanks boyonadyke.

Perpetual n00b

Rolling coal

High Desert MTBer
    Strange when BOADyke advocates gassing 'coalers' with their own exhausts...
    It's all Here. Now.

check your six

Meh... that's no ones business but yours and his. Leave it there please.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Last year this Cummins driver made a weak attempt to smoke me out. I was riding with one or two other female cyclists in the Bay Area between Morgan Territory and Mt. Diablo. Luckily for us the resulting plume of smoke was very small, but if you listen you can hear what sounds like a deliberate attempt to get the motor to belch it out. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel driver tries to smoke me out and fails - YouTube

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    Last year this Cummins driver made a weak attempt to smoke me out. I was riding with one or two other female cyclists in the Bay Area between Morgan Territory and Mt. Diablo. Luckily for us the resulting plume of smoke was very small, but if you listen you can hear what sounds like a deliberate attempt to get the motor to belch it out. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yup you got lucky.

Rod
    mtbr member
    ^^ You got very lucky Freighty and that was definitely on purpose. They can drop clouds of soot.

High Desert MTBer
    In my part of the world I have never seen this 'phenomenon', which rather surprises me as the lifted, tricked-out truck brigade are out in force in these parts. I am guessing that these would-be coalers are too busy tailgating Prius drivers and shooting up defenseless cacti in the desert... I have first-hand experience of both. I am sad people feel the need to do any of these things...
    It's all Here. Now.

I lost faith in other people years ago so I just try to be the person I wish others were.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I lost faith in other people years ago so I just try to be the person I wish others were.
    Well said.

High Desert MTBer
    And that is a great start! No one is beyond redemption tho, some people just need to be shown a better example... That is why it is important to do what you do.
    It's all Here. Now.

Believe me, I wasn't always this way. A daughter has a way of changing a man. I'm just trying to be better, every time I can. Most times I fail but I keep trying.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Believe me, I wasn't always this way. A daughter has a way of changing a man. I'm just trying to be better, every time I can. Most times I fail but I keep trying.
    Really cool posts, Bob. It's important to keep trying. It's important to die trying, if need be.

Well I guess I'm not trying hard enough because I wasn't paying attention, clicked the wrong button, and reported a post I meant to give rep on. I'm standing in the corner now, 15 minute time out. PM sent to the mods to explain already too.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Well I guess I'm not trying hard enough because I wasn't paying attention, clicked the wrong button, and reported a post I meant to give rep on. I'm standing in the corner now, 15 minute time out. PM sent to the mods to explain already too.
    It's good to hear that you are indeed fallible, Bob. I was beginning to think they elected the wrong guy for Pope.

I didn't do it
    Agree with ya Bob.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah I agree jumping out and confronting him is just asking for it to get out of hand. I'm the same way I have a hard time controlling myself with inconciderate morans. But jumping out and confronting him could result in a some bad stuff. He could have a gun or be some whack job and run you down.

I moves from So. Cal to Colorado a year or so ago.
    And in San Diego this rolling coal was pretty rare.
    Out here in Colorado its pretty popular with the
    young redneck crowd. They buy big lifted diesal trucks and install stacks. Which is exhaust pipes that stick out of the back of the bed behind the cab. To simulate an eighteen wheeler. Apparently its the cool thing to do with the rednecks. And they do something to the motors to blow thicker black smoke than normal diesel trucks.
    You just change out the engine control chip...then you have a button to give the engine more power...it dumps excess fuel in the engine... the engine doesn't have neough air to burn it so you get corbon (black soot) smoke....it does give more power but mostly it looks cool? and burns fuel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I think it's basically the diesel equivalent to a trend that was actually kinda cool at one point on gasoline hotrods:

The problem is that the diesel trucks already attract the lowbrow compensation crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    I think it's basically the diesel equivalent to a trend that was actually kinda cool at one point on gasoline hotrods:

The problem is that the diesel trucks already attract the lowbrow compensation crowd.
    Yeah that flame thrower trend was popular in the fifties and sixties. All it is, is a hole drilled into the exhaust pipe and a spark plug screwed in. Then wires ....well here is how to do...

Copied from someone that has done it.

I wanna share my directions on how I made a exhaust flame thrower.
    I dont really think this will work on cars with catalytic converts.
    Cost is cheap too.
    Most important is if you have a 6 volt system it wont have enough voltage to open the solenoid but if you temporarily jump start your car from a 12 volt car/battery it will work .
    when your all wired up, hold down the gas pedal to about 4000rpms and push in the button and you will get flames.

)How to install with a Relay.
    2)How to install with a 3way switch.

REQUIREMENTS:
    1) Remove your Catalytic converter (s) (rarely, but some cars may work with out removing) in
    removing your CAT. you MAY no longer pass emissions tests.
    2) Make sure that your exhaust system is solid and has no holes anywhere along the system.

Check list of Items you will need:

The Relay method

1) 1 Coil (if doing a single exhaust system)
    Page 1 of 6 Flame Thrower Plans

2) 1 Relay (recommended MR125 GP-Sorensen Relay, used in alarm systems)
    3) Several feet of good electrical wire color Green, Purple, Black, Red, and Yellow (wire for power
    should always be thicker, colors not necessary as long as you don't get confused.)
    4) 1 working sparkplug (or 2 if doing dual exhaust)
    5) An on/off push button switch (momentary recommended not needed if trying the 3way
    switch)
    6) Electrical tape
    7) Standard Ignition Cable (longest you can find)

The 3 Way Switch method

1) 1 Coil (if doing a single exhaust system)

2) THREE Way On off ON switch
    3) Several feet of good electrical wire
    4) 1 working sparkplug (or 2 if doing dual exhaust)
    5) Electrical tape
    6) Standard Ignition Cable (longest you can find)

A list of places you can find the needed items:

1) Coil can be purchased at AutoZone AutoZone | Auto Parts & Accessories | Repair Guides & More part number "C-819" or any old
    working coil can be used that matches the one in the diagrams.
    Page 2 of 6 Flame Thrower Plans
    2) Relay can be purchased at AutoZone AutoZone | Auto Parts & Accessories | Repair Guides & More part number "MR125" make sure
    the relay has the numbers 87, 87a, 86, 85, 30 on it, if it doesn't then you will need to know how that
    relay works.
    3) Wire can be purchased at Radio Shack or any electrical store colors do not need to match,
    but be sure not to mix them if you are using different colors. we will be using Purple, Red,
    Green, Yellow, Black for my explanation
    4) Sparkplugs Can be purchased at any auto store or you can use your old ones as long as
    they are not damaged and in working condition.
    5) On/Off Button and Black Tape Can also be purchased at Radio Shack.
    6) Ignition Cable is the wires that connect to your sparkplugs you can use old ones or buy new ones. If the length is not enough you can take two and cut and splice to make them long enough but you risk
    loosing quality electrical signal.
    Installing the System (w/Relay)

1. Find a place for your relay. You can put it anywhere you like. (I put mine under the hood)

2. Look for your car's coil, Here is a picture of mine. Yours will look different or may even be
    two square type boxes.
    3. Once you find it you will have to look for the negative wire on the coil. You will need to either cut
    this or disconnect it. (Check trouble shooting if you don't know which)
    4. Run a wire from your car's coil to where your relay will be located and connect it to the Green wire on
    the relay 87a.
    5. Take the wire that was going to the negative side on your coil and wire that to your relay on #30
    Yellow wire. (Simply put 30 and 87a will be reconnecting the wire that you cut on your car's coil.)
    6. Find a wire that gives power and connect it to the red wire #85 on the relay. Use a wire that gives
    power when the car is on or just connect directly to your + on your battery.
    Page 3 of 6 Flame Thrower Plans
    7. Mount your Switch, one side to Black wire on relay #86 and the other to ground - on the car (Any
    constant - Negative contact or - on the battery)

8. Mount your store coil in the trunk.

9.Drill or find hole in your trunk, then drill a hole about 5 inches from the end of your muffler tip make sure the sparkplug fits and the hole is not to big. Screw in the sparkplug and connect the Ignition cable
    to the coil and sparkplug.
    10. Run a wire from your car battery (positive) to the coil in the trunk, positive side of the coil.
    11. Run the purple wire on the relay 87 to the rear coil, negative side.
    12. Check all connections if all is well. Start your car. Your done and ready to test.

Installing the System (3Way Switch)

Page 4 of 6 Flame Thrower Plans
    1. Find a place for your switch.
    2. Follow Steps 2 and 3 from the Relay Install.
    3. Wire the wire that is going to your - Negative side on the car coil to the Center of the 3 way switch.
    4. Wire the top of the switch to your Car's Coil negative side.
    5. wire the bottom of the switch to the coil in the trunk negative side.
    6. Run a positive wire to the coil in the trunk from your battery.
    7. Connect the spark plug and install it in your exhaust.
    8. And your done. When you flip this switch to ON for trunk coil your engine will start to stall
    make sure you flip it back to main before the RPM's go under 1000.

TESTING

Make sure nothing is behind your car and that you are in a open area. Take the engine to about 5,000
    RPM and press and hold the switch, the engine should start to stall. *POOF*

Great Balls of Fire your
    SHOOTING FLAMES!! Enjoy!
    TROUBLE SHOOTING
    1) No Flames?
    a. Try changing the wires around for the Green and Yellow on the relay box.
    Page 5 of 6 Flame Thrower Plans
    b. Make sure the spark plug and coil work, use Step #4 in install instructions to test them.
    c. Make sure you have no Catalytic Converter.
    d. Make sure there are NO HOLES in your exhaust system.
    2) Trouble starting the car?
    a) You did something wrong on the wiring with 30 and 87/87a on the relay, Green and Yellow
    on the control box. Double check the wires from start to finish make sure they are securely
    connected and not cut anywhere and wired correctly. Try switching 87 with 87A.
    3) Finding the Negative on your Coil
    The easiest way to do this is to take the coil you got from the store and connect 2 wires to it.
    a. One on the negative/One on the positive.
    b. Connect the ignition wire to the coil and to the sparkplug and place the sparkplug near something
    metal (turbo or something)
    c. Now take the wire that is connect to the positive side of the coil and connect it to the battery +.
    d. The negative side you will use to find what wire in your car's coil is the negative wire.
    e. Start the car and take the negative wire from the store coil and touch each one of the wires on your
    car's coil till you see that the spark plug is firing.
    (You may need to splice into some of the wires to get contact) Once you've found it, cut engine off.
    Label this wire and cut it.
    ***DO NOT HOLD THE SPARK PLUG WHILE DOING THIS UNLESS YOU LIKE THE FEEL OF ELECTRIC SHOCK***

check your six
    Yeah that flame thrower trend was popular in the fifties and sixties. All it is, is a hole drilled into the exhaust pipe and a spark plug screwed in. Then wires
    I bet you gonna tell me I can't do this to my 4Runner huh? I want to throw flames in the azzhats in DC traffic!
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast