mtbr member

rockerc to the white courtesy phone... rockerc to white courtesy phone..

I have a question for your infinite 'Roady' wisdom.

Here's the story: I've been thinking on strumming a guitar. Last time I did it was back in jr high school learning "Cats in the Cradle" on an acoustic.
    I found a trade on Craigslist for a Burns London Club series 6 string electric, A Roland cube 60 amp, a couple a of wires sets, a tuner, a cheap strap, a stand and a fender soft gig bag.

Here's the part where you come in.....

This dude I got it from was a chain.. no, a conveyor smoker. And apparently blew each toke of smoke directly at the kit.
    Everything stinks to high heaven !!...the bag, the tuner, the stand, and the amp. Interestingly, not the Guitar...
    So anyway, How in the hell do you get nasty smoke smell out of the amp?... the rest is just going to get tossed, and bought new. I cant stand the smell of this amp. I smoked for 15 years earlier in life then wised up about 16 years ago. so I'm even worse on dealing with this smell.....

I've wiped it down with cleaner, and it's stuffed in a bag for the last 3 days with a bowl of baking soda and squirt of Lemon juice.

What else can I do??
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

AZ
    banned
    Fabreeze. Yeah I know you paged rockerc but a suggestion is a suggestion, right. Well anyway, I have had great luck using Fabreeze.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Fabreeze. Yeah I know you paged rockerc but a suggestion is a suggestion, right. Well anyway, I have had great luck using Fabreeze.
    This thing smells like a roach's ass, I'll take advice from Tones....

Do they make Fabreeze in a rocket propelled grenade format?
    -Dad

mtbr member
    You could get a Bengal tiger to piss on it...it'd probably smell a lot LESS like cig smoke.

official eMpTyBRain
    I'm pretty sure that if you piss off a skunk enough to spray everything, the smoke smell will be gone for good.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    I remember in high school I bought a whole bunch of video games from this lady who smoked. She also gave me all the manuals, which I kept in a box. I had a moment of reliving my past and fired up the Super Nintendo, and the damn manual still smelled, 13 years later!

Anyways, from my days of cleaning cars, I found that the best way to get rid of the smoke smell was leaving it outside overnight. If its an amp with the carpeting on it, scrub with a good cleaner and leave it out overnight. Daytime sun doesn't help it. Worth a shot.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang 21 View Post
    You could get a Bengal tiger to piss on it..
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I'm pretty sure that if you piss off a skunk enough .
    AHhh !!.. the ancient Chinese art of masking !

That could be a direction to go.

Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    13 years later!
    Yucky !

Anyways, from my days of cleaning cars, I found that the best way to get rid of the smoke smell was leaving it outside overnight. If its an amp with the carpeting on it, scrub with a good cleaner and leave it out overnight. Daytime sun doesn't help it. Worth a shot.
    No carpeting, the covering was pulled off and painted the cabinet.
    It's still in the bag with the baking soda and lemon juice volcano.

The gig bag has been outside on the balcony for a week... and there's no letting up of smell
    It's worth a shot with what you recommend. I'll try it tomorrow.
    Might end up building a new cabinet out of walnut with some maple inlays. There is a high end Amp builder with my same name. might could stick one of those emblems on it too !

Still waiting for rockerc to chime in.

~Disc~Golf~
    Pull the speaker out, and then submerge it in a mild vinegar/water bath for a day - give a good hosing , and then let dry completely
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Xtreme Lounger
    I made a big mistake of buying an arcade game off of ebay without checking it out first (there was only hours left before it ended when I first noticed it). The thing looked to be in excellent condition and everything was working. When I came to pick it up, the dude must have gone through half a pack of cigarettes while I loaded it. Got it home and within 10 minutes, my entire house smelled like a bowling alley on a Friday night. I felt like I was living inside a chimney.

That machine reeked so bad for a few days I was thinking about just burning it down by the creek. What I did was loosely drape and tape a large plastic painters drop cloth over the entire machine and bought a medium-sized can (Maxwell House?) of fresh coffee grinds. I poured out the fresh grinds onto Styrofoam dinner plates (about 1/4" deep, cover the entire plate - you want lots of surface area) and set about 6 around the outside (under, on top, on control panel) and put like 4 inside the machine in the bottom. I think I left it there for maybe 2 days.

The smell of smoke was gone and it smelled like coffee grinds for maybe a few days and then that smell dissipated. After a while, I couldn't smell anything even if I pressed my nose up against the cabinet.

Maybe give that a whirl. Sounds like you already have the plastic cover - just make sure it's not skin tight - you want some air space for a bit of circulation under the cover.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny View Post
    my entire house smelled like a bowling alley on a Friday night.
    EXACTLY ! ...sickening.

That machine reeked so bad for a few days I was thinking about just burning it down by the creek.
    YES !

What I did was drape, tape... plastic... entire machine .. fresh coffee grinds..., cover ...inside the machine....Maybe give that a whirl. ...- you want some air space ...
    Awesome advice... ( who needs rockerc? ) I'm thinking soaking in a bucket of coffee might do the trick.
    The plus side is I could get past bomb sniffing dogs with it then !
    -Dad

High Desert MTBer
    Febreeze, then chrome the sh*t out of everything... If that doesn't work, use it in your next pyro demo...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Febreeze, then chrome the sh*t out of everything... If that doesn't work, use it in your next pyro demo...
    THANK YOU SIR !!!..

Dont know why I was listening to those chumps....
    -Dad

mtbr member
    Ok ... the Baking Soda and lemon juice did nothing for this little smoking troll...

2 days in wraps, it was time to take the gloves off.

I did buy some Fabreeze today and doused the Gig bag, stand, stand bag, digital tuner, and strap... and I have to say, Not Bad... it knocked out like 90% of the smell. Enough to bring it all in the house tonight. I'll check the room in the morning where they are for smells in the morning.

So I re bagged the box of funk. and then headed to the kitchen.

Hope it's a Peets drinker !

After grinding up 3 pot fulls of grounds.... I let'er rip.
    Poured a bunch under, inside, on top and thru the speaker grill.

Closed up the bag and we'll let'er sit a week or two ....

wish it Luck..... or it's going off the Balcony in a big ball O' Flames !

mtbr member
    You gonna make a pot of coffee with the grounds after you're finished?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishful Tomcat View Post
    You gonna make a pot of coffee with the grounds after you're finished?
    Say !.... you may be on to something...

Nicotine infused Coffee ... get the fix without the black tar lung.

for me... no, I'll put it in the tomato's pots !
    -Dad

NONDURO
    Perhaps for the eBay feedback comment you should tell the guy to do himself (and his family) a favour and quit smoking.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Yeah.. it was a local guy out of Napa. Guess i could drive over and slap him one.

Well, Update on the GiG bag... Fabreeze, No Bueno. the interior smelt ok... But the outer shell,, cough, gag, barf... didn't work...
    I put it in the sun and it got worse.

So, I gave it to a neighbor who knows an electric guitar player that smokes.

Gonna be in Sf tomorrow and I'll try and stop by Guitar Center and see what they got.