Ska
    Steel is real.

Road racing................the insane kind.

Once again the Ulster GP doesn't disappoint. Part of the course running right past my wife's aunt's farm (my wife is from N. Ireland). Fantastic road racing. Racing at its best....................and most insane. More insane than even the Isle of Man TT in my opinion since these guys are bumping and pressing each other as opposed to a clock.

202mph (at 3:11) but how about 185+ in the wet!

Never gets old. Blew my mind when I saw this in person (not this year's).

Here are some UGP highlights from this year's race in case you missed them or have never seen this stuff before.

Racing like this is becoming more and more rare. Yes it is dangerous and yes these men are taking HUGE risks (when trees and houses and stone walls line the roads) but hey..........they are old enough to decide.

You can't help but be entertained. Seeing this in person is unreal.

Open-road racing..................too cool. And not something I would ever do.

Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

Rogue Exterminator
    Irish road racing is a special breed of crazy.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

High Desert MTBer
    You are so right! I used to go to the IOM TT when my ex wife's family lived over there, and that is insane, but when I saw the Ulster, it made me realise that the IOM was just a taster! Good post!!!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    They are on a whole different level.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Absolutely awesome! Thanks for that. Just made my day!

Front Range, Colorado
    Yes insane would sum it up. Love it thx for the post.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    No, not insane. They just put the fear of dying or really serious injury deep down inside some dark corner of their minds that they can't access too easily. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to swing a leg over the bike.

I miss the sport so much. Last time on the track was 1990, and I still think about racing once a week or more.

Drew

p.s. Ska, you're right, it's just a bit more insane, I have to admit......

I've done 150 mph many times on the street but only ever on nice open road. I couldn't even imagine going 200 on the street, although I have had unintended wheelies at over 100 mph in rolling terrain where I thought for sure I was going to die. Shannonville was so slow in comparison; back in the day my race bike topped out at 130 mph on the long track with a 1/2 mile straight.
    occasional cyclist

Prime
    Very exciting video, Ska. Those fellows have almost as big of balls as us here mountain bikers. Almost. Right??

mtbr member
    Glad to see there are road racers on this board. I used to track ride and club race abt 4x a year. I was up to the advanced level and abt 3 seconds off the true racers pace. But you better have some deep pockets cause I don't know any other hobby that was as expensive besides car club racing. Ultimately, I had to curb spending, and 4x a year just isnt enough to get really good to give up my day job. I'm down to abt 1x every other year now, and at that frequency you're just maintaining. Especially since I was going thru race tires every 3 track days....yes I was that fast.

Kudos to those that have the talent and the bankroll and the passion...those adrenaline highs were on a totally different level than cycling.

Gnarly
    100% Hardcore adrenaline! I like
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    God dam I miss roadracing

Someday I may race bikes again.

mtbr member
    I miss it too but realized it was time to say no mas. I still attend national AMA, motogp races when possible but thats as far as it goes now.
    I traded in leather for spandex.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Shoot! I think the fans, just standing on the side of the road, are nuts

Good Vid!

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by knutso View Post
    Shoot! I think the fans, just standing on the side of the road, are nuts

Good Vid!
    too true! I used to go watch some pre-TT club racing in Andreas in the north part of the Isle of Man when I was there. The main straight ran alongside a 4' high grass bank right on the edge of the roadway with a whole mess of gorse bushes behind the bank. If you don't know what gorse is, think a cross between prickly pear and cholla, and painful. Anyway, during one race, a rider on an old Laverda started to lose it midway down the straight, and me and my buddy lifted our legs. A whole line of people just up from us did not see what was coming, and sure enough the bike ran into the bank and scraped along it at speed. All the people panicked and jumped as far away off the back of the back as they could, right into the gorse. The bike and rider scraped along at my feet, and the guy ended up in someone's front garden down along a bit, unhurt. There were a lot of very sore people watching that day...
    It's all Here. Now.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    too true! I used to go watch some pre-TT club racing in Andreas in the north part of the Isle of Man when I was there. The main straight ran alongside a 4' high grass bank right on the edge of the roadway with a whole mess of gorse bushes behind the bank. If you don't know what gorse is, think a cross between prickly pear and cholla, and painful. Anyway, during one race, a rider on an old Laverda started to lose it midway down the straight, and me and my buddy lifted our legs. A whole line of people just up from us did not see what was coming, and sure enough the bike ran into the bank and scraped along it at speed. All the people panicked and jumped as far away off the back of the back as they could, right into the gorse. The bike and rider scraped along at my feet, and the guy ended up in someone's front garden down along a bit, unhurt. There were a lot of very sore people watching that day...
    Awesome story! hahahaha. Painted a good picture in my mind. :-) I sat atop a concrete wall not 5 feet from the edge of the road at the UGP and it was faulking crazy...........and spectacular.

So different than track racing. Courses are much longer with all the road imperfections intact (bumps, cracks, different surfaces textures, rollers, manholes not to mention the houses, wire fencing, telephone poles, phone boxes, painted lines right through apexes etc. etc. etc.)

That's the stuff that really sets it apart from track racing. It's old school and there are few races of this type left anywhere else in the world.
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.