Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Road bike help, newb

Hey everyone,

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum, didn't see anywhere else that it would fit.

Long story short, I have a 2013 Norco storm 9.1 which I love. But it was being eyeballed the other day outside a store and if I hadn't come out when I did I suspect it would have been stolen. I bought this bike to replace a crappy fs big box bike that was trouble. I'm trying to lose weight.

So I was thinking about buying a big box road bike for around town, and because it's just for pavement I was hoping it would fit the bill to leave chained up outside (I have a decent lock, but you know). I also don't want to wear out my new tires I plan to get on my Norco,I know they won't respond well to pavement. I could get a second wheel set but that's another topic.

Is the bike below worth $300? I can't find better then a big box bike for under 300 on local Craig's list.

Give me your opinions, I greatly appreciate it.

http://m.canadiantire.ca/mt/www.cana....jsp?locale=en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rhv...e_gdata_player

This will be a basic good weather commuter for school, maybe but probably not work. Mostly for around town rides for exercise and getting a few errands done well I'm at it. By the way, I was 300lbs when I started biking mid March, am down to about 259 now.

Thanks again.

mtbr member

Road bike help, newb

I'm confused. What is this 'road bike' thing you speak of?

J/K!
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Ohh Gnarly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    I'm confused. What is this 'road bike' thing you speak of?

J/K!
    I think it's something like this:

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    There should be plenty of cheap road bikes from established brands on your local Craigslist. As for the link you posted, that thing is incredibly overpriced for what it is, and it's still a big box bike!
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Ohh Gnarly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    There should be plenty of cheap road bikes from established brands on your local Craigslist. As for the link you posted, that thing is incredibly overpriced for what it is, and it's still a big box bike!
    ^^What Bro said.I would think there would be decent road bikes on C.L. in any area.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    And I should add, that most of the cheaper road bikes you'll see on Craigslist will likely be older steel bikes. They'll be heavier than modern road bikes, but that's fine, as long as they're still in working condition. Technology on road bikes hasn't changed in the past 20-30 years nearly as much as technology on mountain bikes has.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

rod skinner
    Oct 2005
    remodel your kitchen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Road bike help, newb

Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    remodel your kitchen.
    Thanks Norton, feel free to leave anytime....

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks to the people that tried to help. Unfortunately used road bikes around here start at 300-350 and about 50 prevent appear to be in disrepair or stolen. If I drive about 2 hours I cab pick up some decent ones for about 200, but with gas prices and my limited time it doesn't seem worth it.

Also I wouldn't be paying that price in the link, I would be paying 299 $.

Any more opinions appreciated.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Nothing wrong with a heavy, crap bike. You'll lose weight much faster and the thieves will most likely pass it up.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Ohh Gnarly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by wilderthing View Post
    Thanks Norton, feel free to leave anytime....
    Yeah Norton! Take off you hoser!

Ride More, Whine Less

Road bike help, newb

If you are buying new and don't plan on riding beyond 30 miles or so, a city bike / hybrid will do you just fine and will be closer to your budget. You may find more comfort with this bike than a traditional road set up for the time being. Good luck on the weight loss.

official eMpTyBRain
    Is this a troll thread or is it legit? The last time I sat on a road bike, I was 11 years old and it did not fit my short legs.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    OK, I may look into a hybrid but I generally dislike them.

No I am not trolling believe it or not. I wanted a cheap bike for around town. I can't find anything good on craigslist, so I had a look at big box stores. The cheapest big box bikes have dreadful front suspension and a garbage drive train and brakes, this was the best rigid bike I could find.

I am much more into mountain biking, I just needed something to go to a store and for basic exercise. I don't care for road biking just want to get into shape faster. For example on a day that I go to work and school, I don't have time to drive to the trail, I could bang out 5-10 miles on a road bike. Or ride it to school every once in a while to squeeze exercise into a busy day. Once in shape I would probably get rid of the road bike all together.

I thought that I would get genuine help from bike enthusiasts, like I'm turning into. I love biking. In fact, when I finish school and hopefully make some money I see myself buying a nice (3000$ nice) fs bike.

Thanks to those that tried to help. and the rest of you are the reason people get out of biking, bike snobs.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    This thread is useless, there'snot even a link to a kitchen....
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

Ride More, Whine Less

Road bike help, newb

I tried to cycle off weight for two years. I gained weight as a result. I stopped eating wheat and started tracking calories in using MyFitnessPal. I'm down to a weight I haven't seen in over a decade.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Re: Road bike help, newb

thread derailing just for the point of thread derailing sure is phucking annoying.

i think for a quick commute or errand run, a cheap bike would work just fine. you don't need special technology to pick up groceries down the street. i have a **** bike just for that

but if you are going to use it for more than that, I'd look into something that has decent components

I eat cats
    If you remodel your kitchen you will prepare healthier home cooked meals. Win/win. Several good kitchen remodeling threads on MTBR.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post
    If you remodel your kitchen you will prepare healthier home cooked meals. Win/win. Several good kitchen remodeling threads on MTBR.
    And eating better will make you a better rider!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

No Stranger to danger....
    OP we love road bikes here in the OC ,youve come to the right place my friend, welcome aboard.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Road bike help, newb

Maybe try road bike review. This is a public forum and you're going to get all sorts of advice and even people trying to be funny (and it is funny if you'd just taken the time to get to know the environment). Just take the info that's helpful to you without being so defensive to the rest. Besides, you have poo pooed every suggestion so far because you so want to hear go get the bike from Canadian tire.

So go get it.

Me, I would rather spend the gas money and pick up an old beater. But that's just what I would do.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Maybe try road bike review. This is a public forum and you're going to get all sorts of advice and even people trying to be funny (and it is funny if you'd just taken the time to get to know the environment). Just take the info that's helpful to you without being so defensive to the rest. Besides, you have poo pooed every suggestion so far because you so want to hear go get the bike from Canadian tire.

So go get it.

Me, I would rather spend the gas money and pick up an old beater. But that's just what I would do.
    What if the old beater was me? surly youd rather me in the raw than a new bike id deliver big time...
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    What if the old beater was me? surly youd rather me in the raw than a new bike id deliver big time...
    Heh! a $150 Tonegoose! Awesome!
    OP, you'll need to develop a bit of a sense of humor in here, and one thing I am pretty darn sure of is that there are few 'bike snobs' in here...
    It's all Here. Now.

~Disc~Golf~

Honestly... ahh I give up

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Well....okay but are you gonna smell like fish guts? :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast