Thread: RIP Junior Seau

~Disc~Golf~

RIP Junior Seau

I met this guy when I lived in SD - super down to Earth, cool guy..
    Former NFL player Junior Seau dead - CNN.com
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Tactical Nightmare
    Yeah, as a Raider fan, I never was a fan of his, but I highly respected him. Word is that he went with the chest rather than the head, so his brain could be studied for the concussion damage that had been done over the years. I think another recent suicide was done the same way of a former NFL player too. If true, that would really make it all the more sad that his condition brought this on.

Edit: Related story mentioned above about other player shooting himself in chest:
    Dave Duerson and the NFL concussion crisis - The Week

Terribly sad.
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    last time i really watched football was in the 90s when he was a Charger. RIP 55.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    This is really sad. I live in San Diego and have
    been a Charger fan ever since they became a
    team. He was one of the best and will be missed.

Best, John

Flaccid Member
    My condolences to his wife and kids... so talented, so gifted, he gave the Chargers a shot every game at winning.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

AZ
    banned
    Say Ow will be missed. R.I.P.

Digging in the pain cave.
    R.i.p.

Never Forget 9-11
    He was a beast on the field. Sad news indeed.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

Afric Pepperbird
    On another NFL related story, the Buccaneers have signed paralyzed Rutgers player.

I don't know, this really tugged at my heartstrings. Great, great story.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I met him once in downtown Oceanside. I went to a barber shop that he owned. He was playing with his new puppy and was a real down to earth guy. You'd never even had known he was famous.

I ride brikes, dingus'
    Yeah, very sad..Got a little teary eyed when they showed his mom this morning!
    R.I.P. 55
    You're not lost if you don't care where you are--- Tom Massie

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
    I met him once in downtown Oceanside. I went to a barber shop that he owned. He was playing with his new puppy and was a real down to earth guy. You'd never even had known he was famous.
    I called my Mom and she was crying over this, I had forgot that she was there when I was at the barber shop and she was chatting with Junior and playing with his puppy. She also mentioned the video of his mother mourning and she was choking up over it. It's too bad he wasn't strong enough to work through what ever issues he had...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My Mom called me really upset too. He touched a lot of us here and he will always be remembered for what we gave our city on the field and off.

Mahalo.... Junior Seau...

Front Range, Colorado
    I have seen him in his restaurant / sports bar "Seau's" in Mission Valley San Diego. A real down to earth and genuine good guy. Everybody loved him and as far as players go. He was Mr. San Diego along with Tony Gwynn. Like Elway is to Denver Junior Seau was to San Diego. A very, very sad day for all connected to him. R.I.P. Junior.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

I dd what you see there.
    It really is sad when someone that was so good at what they did, and seemed to have it together even after they stopped doing it, fall victim to the chaos between their ears.

I also hope everyone involved with the NO Saints 'cash for crunches scandal' is beyond ashamed right now.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    I have seen him in his restaurant / sports bar "Seau's" in Mission Valley San Diego. ..
    That's how I met him.
    I was the lead-scenic for a special events company that did the grand opening for Seau's Restaurant.
    He came to the shop, discussed plans, shot the ****...
    I was there for the event with a bunch of Hall of Fame'rs in attendance but, in the capacity of just makin sure the 'set' had no issues (dressed in black, off to the sidelines) - so no shaking hands w/ Steve Young, but Seau came out after everything was underway and personally thanked us 'workin hands'
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Is not amused
    Sad news, R.I.P. 55
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    Met him once in Hawaii. 5 or 6 of us picked up some cheap tix to the Pro Bowl, made our way down to the lower section eventually, about 5 rows up right behind the West bench. We were one row behind this smokin' hot blonde (who had a little polynesian-looking boy who was probably about 2); trying to talk to her, messing around with the little kid, you know the drill.

Anyway, about 5 minutes left in the "game" and all of a sudden we look up and Junior is coming up the isle, sans jersey and shoulder pads. Dude was huge. It turns out it was his wife. He sat down, asked us we enjoyed the game. Just talked to us about Hawaii and stuff until the game was over. Seemed like a real laid-back guy. I never was a Chargers fan, but he was always one of my favorites.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Sad news. Feel sorry for his family. Just goes to show no matter what's on the surface some people have a lot that's bothering them in between the ears.

Tails