Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Wreckless Idiot

Reynoldsburg, OH - I found that one ahole

So I'm riding through Reynoldsburg, OH on Main St. as I do every day for an hour to make sure I keep in shape. I'm riding my usual course, down a few banks, jump a few parking lot transitions, down a narrow bridge across Blacklick creek and then there it is...

Silver Dodge Intrepid pulling onto Main St., or at least trying to. He pulls up enough to cover the sidewalk, the same one I'm barreling up to at ~10-15mph. I figure he will do what everyone else does and slap his shifter into reverse let me pass and continue on his leisurely way.

Nay. This a**hole sits there. I understand that at this point I have made a commitment to him moving. That was poor judgement on my part. I'm blocked off on the right exit so I can't bail into the adjacent parking lot without taking a spill over a retaining wall. On the left I have Main St. in a busy suburb (20-30 cars per light change), a busy street. I sure as hell wasn't going over this guys hood, so in a move of desperation I smash my back brake and head for the road.

I had my brand new Rock Shox locked out so leaving the curb at such speeds was not fun and as I got into the road and started to pass the Intrepid's front license plate I saw my demise... A light pole and no room between the curb incline and the car. I did what came natural I bunny hopped, as well as I could, which is terrible, and my front tire was short planted in the loose rock debris and washed out aganist the curb while my back tire followed suit.

I slid about 4-5 feet on my stomach and palms. I was really winded from riding hard and now it felt like I got kicked by a ninja. The guy rolls down his window and says "Ya aiet?" Doesn't want for me to say anything and drives off.

It tore my rear derailleur cable off, bent my brand new shocks tube, bent my crankset sprocket and knocked my handlebars loose.

I ended up walking into a local pizza shop and explained what was going on, they let me wash up, gave me a pair of channel locks to repair my sled and sent me on my way. Needless to say, I will be ordering pizza there the next time I get hungry.

I wish people would give a **** and move off the damn sidewalk. And to the guy in the silver Intrepid, thanks for being such a douche bag.

mtbr member

Re: Reynoldsburg, OH - I found that one ahole

Hmmmmm, sucks

AZ
    banned
    What were you doin riding on the sidewalk?

mtbr member
    That does suck for you but I am a little confused....
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

re member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    What were you doin riding on the sidewalk?
    "Banks, parking lot transitions, narrow bridges". Cantcha read?
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

I didn't do it
    Don't know what to tell ya dude. Sounds like you were riding too fast in an urban environment. Sucks that you crashed but to me it sounds like that Intrepid was just trying to pull into traffic. Maybe you should stay off Main street.

Wreckless Idiot
    Well I would agree, Main St just happens to be perfectly straight for miles. So I find it way safer than in the congestion that is the East side of Columbus. Normally when a biker is spotted from a distance they move. Eh, it was just a bad situation. I think that cars need to respect pedestrians and bikers more. Good for everyone.

Wreckless Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    That does suck for you but I am a little confused....
    What about?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    "Banks, parking lot transitions, narrow bridges". Cantcha read?

Well duh, but the sidewalk isn't even suitable for 3 yo's on balance bikes much less someone going 15 mph.

Wreckless Idiot
    You don't think riding on the sidewalk is acceptable, or do you mean no preferred? When you live in the city and you have to get out and ride, it's hard to avoid sidewalk riding all-together. I do my best to take alleys and as many non-sidewalk routes as possible but sometimes it is inevitable.

I don't understand what you mean it isn't suitable?

AZ
    banned
    My bad. It is suitable, for pedestrians.

Front Range, Colorado
    Most bikes have brakes does yours?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Wreckless Idiot
    smash my back brake and head for the road.
    Didn't you read before flaming?

AZ
    banned
    Must resist posting this on the "Best of MTBR". It'll wind up there sooner or later though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I do most of my urban riding and exercise after I'm off work (around midnight-3am), so it's easy to ride where ever I want. However, at any other hour I stay off the sidewalks for this exact reason; No motorist is checking sidewalks for vehicle traffic, only the roads... also very little margin for error, obstructions, cracks, etc etc. Not to mention it's also illegal in Ohio to do so.

Sucks you learned the hard way, hope you have a speedy recovery!

sympathy for society
    You should have just locked up the rear brake and did a mega powerslide, looking all cool an sh!t!
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

Probably drunk right now

Your bad. Glad you're okay. Sorry about your bike.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

I didn't do it
    It's been awhile since we've had some good ol' troll action. Brings me back to the bunny hopping kids days.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by hughes View Post
    I wish people would give a **** and move off the damn sidewalk. ...
    Pot meet kettle
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    Pot meet kettle
    are they both black??

Wreckless Idiot
    No motorist is checking sidewalks for vehicle traffic, only the roads... also very little margin for error, obstructions, cracks, etc etc. Not to mention it's also illegal in Ohio to do so.
    Well I learned something...
    I didn't know you weren't allowed? Honestly, I thought if there was a sidewalk and a road the sidewalk was where you were to ride. Good to know though.

I guess that is what I get for posting a story about my bike riding experiences and not having 10 years under my belt. I suppose in the future to avoid being bantered by a douche or two, I'll just sit and read the repetitive stories about Whistler and your expensive bikes while I ride my 13 year old Hardrock.

mtbr member
    So I'm just taking my normal route down Main Street, looking for a few children to bunny-hop, maybe a couple pan-handlers to grind, or a sidewalk sale to transition in and out of, when all of the sudden this dude comes out of Starbucks with his double mocha latte. I reach hard for the brake, but no time. Instead I bank hard, and there's a couple veterans sitting on lawn chairs selling Memorial Day flowers. They saw me coming and didn't even move. Usually when the veterans see a bike coming they move, but not these A hole Veterans. Good thing the pizza shop had an awesome set of tools. And to those D-bag WWII vets, greatest generation my arse.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Why is there so much complaining?
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    retitle the thread- "That was poor judgement on my part"
    being a prisoner of bad judgement and inertia is a *****. bikes 101
    i really should type less and tread more

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by hughes View Post
    So I'm riding through Reynoldsburg, OH on Main St. as I do every day for an hour to make sure I keep in shape. I'm riding my usual course, down a few banks, jump a few parking lot transitions, down a narrow bridge across Blacklick creek and then there it is...

Silver Dodge Intrepid pulling onto Main St., or at least trying to. He pulls up enough to cover the sidewalk, the same one I'm barreling up to at ~10-15mph. I figure he will do what everyone else does and slap his shifter into reverse let me pass and continue on his leisurely way.

Nay. This a**hole sits there. I understand that at this point I have made a commitment to him moving. That was poor judgement on my part. I'm blocked off on the right exit so I can't bail into the adjacent parking lot without taking a spill over a retaining wall. On the left I have Main St. in a busy suburb (20-30 cars per light change), a busy street. I sure as hell wasn't going over this guys hood, so in a move of desperation I smash my back brake and head for the road.

I had my brand new Rock Shox locked out so leaving the curb at such speeds was not fun and as I got into the road and started to pass the Intrepid's front license plate I saw my demise... A light pole and no room between the curb incline and the car. I did what came natural I bunny hopped, as well as I could, which is terrible, and my front tire was short planted in the loose rock debris and washed out aganist the curb while my back tire followed suit.

I slid about 4-5 feet on my stomach and palms. I was really winded from riding hard and now it felt like I got kicked by a ninja. The guy rolls down his window and says "Ya aiet?" Doesn't want for me to say anything and drives off.

It tore my rear derailleur cable off, bent my brand new shocks tube, bent my crankset sprocket and knocked my handlebars loose.

I ended up walking into a local pizza shop and explained what was going on, they let me wash up, gave me a pair of channel locks to repair my sled and sent me on my way. Needless to say, I will be ordering pizza there the next time I get hungry.

I wish people would give a **** and move off the damn sidewalk. And to the guy in the silver Intrepid, thanks for being such a douche bag.

Preserved for posterity. And....

IN!
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast