official eMpTyBRain

RANT: Duplicate Thread Topics

I just started a new thread in the GF asking how to speed up the recovery of poison oak/ivy rashes. Of course I already figured that there was other threads on the subject but I hadn't seen one in a while so I started a new on in hopes that some new ideas had emerged.

So, the very first reply was by a member (I won't mention the user name) who stated that there was already "thousands of posts on this subject".

So, since that particular member is so unhappy that I started yet another thread on the same old subject without first doing a search (I despise using "search"), perhaps a program upgrade is in order?

How about a "smart scanner" that reads the titles of new threads (before they are posted) and automatically suggests/redirects to some related existing threads???

Sounds an awful lot like total control to me but if it makes certain members happy, so be it.

That is all...
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

duh
    Yes but then you get people complaining about dredging up old threads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

official eMpTyBRain
    ^ Agreed, so I guess you just can't please all of the people all of the time...

Ride More, Whine Less

RANT: Duplicate Thread Topics

There is a bunch of people active these days that either need to ride more or rub more.

Hawg--dawn soap. That is you answer

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    Yes but then you get people complaining about dredging up old threads
    ... & you can get banned for doing that.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

b a n n e d
    (rolls eyes, giant sarcastic sigh) There's like a million posts on this already . . . SEARCH FIRST N008!!!!

Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

official eMpTyBRain
    ^ Ohhhh sh!t! I thought there was only "thousands"...?

check your six
    Google is your friend...
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

see me rollin, they hatin
    the search function is crap. Maybe i'm doing it wrong, but back in the day, i could search a keyword and posts would come up. now just threads come up, and i'd have to search a hundred pages to find a particualr keyword.

then again, back in the day, you could search something you KNOW has been discussed, and still get nothing. whatevs.
    fap

mtbr member
    Something that has always bugged me is the seemingly universal idea that "dredging up old threads" is bad. Why?
    I think that if a guy wants to ask a question about poison ivy and he reads a 5 year old thread that didn't answer his question, why not post into that old thread instead of starting a new one? That way, you get right to the point and people can skip posting the stuff that's already in the old thread.

On the other hand, the search function really does suck, so I don't really care if people start new posts about old subjects either. I might start one on V brakes vs discs

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Something that has always bugged me is the seemingly universal idea that "dredging up old threads" is bad. Why?
    I think that if a guy wants to ask a question about poison ivy and he reads a 5 year old thread that didn't answer his question, why not post into that old thread instead of starting a new one? That way, you get right to the point and people can skip posting the stuff that's already in the old thread.

On the other hand, the search function really does suck, so I don't really care if people start new posts about old subjects either. I might start one on V brakes vs discs
    v-brakes FTW.

official eMpTyBRain
    My '04 SJ FSR had v-brakes and they worked fine on the longest, steepest descents. Still not sure why we are using disc brakes on a bicycle???

Cool, I hijacked my own thread.

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    When Itchy meets scratchy.... Tecnu for Poison Oak Rash & Poison Ivy Rash

Also, keep your paws off your junk until you wash with this, otherwise you will for certain be begging for something Saving Private Ryan.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

Front Range, Colorado
    And you can't duplicate that. And you can't duplicate that. And you can't duplicate that.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    So I crashed over the weekend, and some weird red-type thingy fell off of my wheel. The bike still rides fine, but occasionally when I turn a corner, the wheel falls out of the bike and I crash again. Can someone help me?
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    So I crashed over the weekend, and some weird red-type thingy fell off of my wheel. The bike still rides fine, but occasionally when I turn a corner, the wheel falls out of the bike and I crash again. Can someone help me?
    That question is an oft asked one on mtbr. There are literally hundreds of posts. I know the search function here kinda sucks, but if you use google and the search terms "front wheel" and "red-type thingy" you will probably get a week's worth of readings. Or you can just make sure your front wheel has a skewer.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    That question is an oft asked one on mtbr. There are literally hundreds of posts. I know the search function here kinda sucks, but if you use google and the search terms "front wheel" and "red-type thingy" you will probably get a week's worth of readings. Or you can just make sure your front wheel has a skewer.
    What about a thru-skoor? That's what I use . . . seems to sorta work.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Oh yeah, mine had springs too. Are you sure this is a common problem? If it's so common, you'd think that bike-makers would fix that so it isn't a problem.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

~Disc~Golf~
    Skooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrsssss!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I was going to start a "What Bike Should I Buy" thread but then I searched and found my Perfect Ride

Seriously though, the search function blows. Even if they let you search for "Any" or "All" words it would be a HUGE improvement. I've tried searching for posts that I have started and given up.