Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Question for XP users

With support of XP ending on April 8th, what are your plans for your computing needs. I've converted multiple XP computers for friends and family that aren't powerful enough for Windows 7 or 8 to Linux. I mostly use Elementary OS for the Linux newbs though I've used Linux Mint for a few as well. I personally am using Arch these days but it is not a newb distro.

gone walk about
    I have a semi related question regarding XP, If the system is capable can W7 be installed over top XP given 32bit etc, etc??

mtbr member
    Upgrading to Windows 7 will require a clean install so you must backup your files. IME you should have at least a 1.6ghz x86 processor and 2 gb of RAM to run 7. If you like to multi-task or use memory intensive programs you'll need better.

mtbr member
    Why are these people hanging on to those old machines? There has to be a file converter for just about everything, why hang on to such an outdated comp? It would be better to wipe it and donate it to needy school children in Uganda or something.
    No fuss with my MUSS,... or my Rockies
    Yes, I've fffound it!

Super Clyde

Question for XP users

I like XP because it is a whole lot more stable and less glitchy, in my experience. I have Win7 on my kids computer and it seems like I have to do a clean install every six months or so.

Sent from a telecommunication device with a touch screen keyboard.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

Pro Thread Skimmer
    I had XP until my system finally died. Then I went to W7 which I really like. It reminds me of a better functioning XP. Now, I'm faced again with the need for a new system and the new one I have on standby has W8.1 on it. We shall see.

Part Time Thread Skimmer
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    I like XP because it is a whole lot more stable and less glitchy, in my experience. I have Win7 on my kids computer and it seems like I have to do a clean install every six months or so.

Sent from a telecommunication device with a touch screen keyboard.
    There's your answer right there. I've been on Windows 7 HP x64 for over 2 years and have never had that problem.
    I also turn off the most obvious security risks, like "Remote Access".
    Wait about 6 months after official support ends, and then see what happens to XP.
    I've seen what happens when Microsoft ends support for a OS in the past, and it isn't a pretty death.
    It's a slow and painful death...
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Why are these people hanging on to those old machines? There has to be a file converter for just about everything, why hang on to such an outdated comp? It would be better to wipe it and donate it to needy school children in Uganda or something.
    Why buy a new one when you don't need to? All my computers are running 7 or bleh vista but when I do run linux i like Mint. Now that Steam is getting more linux friendly I might start switching over starting with my vista machine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    If they are not willing to purchase a new PC for windows 7 then I would install linux on it, I run Linux mint myself and love it. It's not a gaming OS as you are well aware but to can breath new life into an old PC. Windows 8 sucks and no matter how MS tried to sugar coat it they made a huge blunder with this OS. I do this for a living and none of the machines or servers are going to be using any new MS OS. Server 2012 has the same F'ed up interface as windows 8. Why MS just WHY?

Report is a new OS from MS is coming soon as the hatred for widnows 8 is forcing their hand LOL
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

EMBA Member
    I've had good results loading windows 7 on older computers, even some that are 8 - 9 years old. Make sure the computer has max ram installed though. Two computers, I replaced the hard drive with a ssd and loaded windows 7 onto the ssd. That along with max ram the motherboard will hold has resulted in a very nicely performing computer for most computing needs. If you are rendering HD video or anything like that, don't bother with this solution, but for regular users, it's all the computer you'll need.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yes the trick there is ram and SSD drive, with out those updates it would funner to pull your teeth out then wait for the pc to boot up lol

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I had XP until my system finally died. Then I went to W7 which I really like. It reminds me of a better functioning XP. Now, I'm faced again with the need for a new system and the new one I have on standby has W8.1 on it. We shall see.
    Windows 7 computers are still available new, you just have to do the right search for them.
    How to get a new PC that runs Windows 7, not Windows 8 | PCWorld

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canker View Post
    Why buy a new one when you don't need to? All my computers are running 7 or bleh vista but when I do run linux i like Mint. Now that Steam is getting more linux friendly I might start switching over starting with my vista machine.
    Linux Mint is an excellent replacement for XP and Vista, and Steam is making gaming on Linux providing more and more gaming opportunities. You might just look at Steam OS when it is finalized (in Beta right now) if you have a gaming specific box.

EMBA Member
    I should add that for some of the older motherboards, I could not get the board to recognize the SSD, and had to go back to using an old style hard drive. Still worked OK though with the standard HD. Those old Pentium 4 processors may be very slow by today's standards, but they still are plenty fast enough for most applications so long as you give them enough ram to work with.

mtbr member
    While I agree that if you do nothing but surf the web and use word, you can probably get away with installing a new OS on an old machine. Also, it certainly can be a fun hobby to goof around with an old computer by installing Linux. As long as it was a good computer several years ago and it doesn't have hardware problems, go ahead, have your fun and install a new OS. I have an older Toshiba running Millenium, remember that trash bucket of an OS? My current laptop shipped with Vista, but it was a ram hog and I installed 7 Ultimate years ago with no issues. I've been happy with Win7. I've heard good and bad about 8, I think those with a touch screen have been happy, but it could be the touch tech is really the only thing they actually notice. There's a co-worker in a different lab in my building whose been installing server processors in his old desktops, but it's his hobby. His work laptop is up to date and the specs are waaay better than mine. For those who know what they are doing, installing a new OS and drivers is no big deal, it's just time consuming. For those who do not, I think they are better off buying a new machine. There are bound to be ridiculous deals out there for laptops older then 1 year that are just sitting on a shelf somewhere. We do have some controller computers, not intended for net or work use, that will continue to run XP because the cost to replace the software, computer and machine is cost prohibitive. That's it though, other than that the entire university's IT dept has not supported XP for a while now. XP is now the 4th oldest MS OS, time to move on.
    Yes, I've fffound it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It's not that easy in all businesses, I work in the auto industry and I have a ton of old crap I have to maintain. Presses and the alike which still load the OS off a floppy disk. Shit I still have a data logger running windows95.

Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    When was the last time you called MS for support of XP? Support is ending doesn't computer is just going to stop working after that date.

mtbr member
    Running XP programs on Linux is easy with WINE, it's the newer stuff (Windows 7 era software) that is hit or mix. So if you have specific software you like to run on your XP machine, you can still run it on Linux and it will probably run faster.

FYI-everyone who posts on MTBR is using Linux...their servers run CentOS which is a generic version of Red Hat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    All my MS servers at work run in VMWare.

Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    When was the last time you called MS for support of XP? Support is ending doesn't computer is just going to stop working after that date.
    No it won't stop working, but security patches that you are sent from MS will stop coming. They will no longer be monitoring for issues and XP is a well documented security sieve.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    The issue is not that the computer will up and quit. It will be the absence of updates and security fixes which will make the comp running XP more vulnerable to viruses. In addition, new software releases may not work on the older OSes. For instance, most newer comps will be utilizing 64bit, 32bit software may run on 64bit OS, but not the other way round.

I see I was a little late in responding, BW's got it.
    Yes, I've fffound it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    It's not that easy in all businesses, I work in the auto industry and I have a ton of old crap I have to maintain. Presses and the alike which still load the OS off a floppy disk. Shit I still have a data logger running windows95.
    I replaced 2 controller comps running 95 for XP a couple years ago. They are being used as controller/data loggers for growth chambers. I wanted to go to 7, but the software was untested on 7 and I didn't want to go through the hassle since gc duties are only a portion of my workload.
    Yes, I've fffound it!

Part Time Thread Skimmer
    Most older PCs will run 7 just fine. If the PC was a quality machine in the first place, like a Core 2 Duo and has 4 gig of RAM it will probably run fine.
    Some of the OEMs have been spreading BS about whether 7 will run on a particular PC.
    Dell is a good example, they claimed that 7 wouldn't run on the XPS 410s and people quickly found out that Dell was full of carp.
    Myth: Vista is a memory hog.
    Truth: fully loaded up, 7 also uses about 1.3 gig of RAM folks.
    Vista will also run older programs unlike 7 and with patches runs just fine.
    That being said I'm on 7.

Someone made a comment about Steam and Linux. There are hardly any games that run on Linux and running Wine to run Steam and games just kind of slows things down.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
    Myth: Vista is a memory hog.
    Truth: fully loaded up, 7 also uses about 1.3 gig of RAM folks.
    Vista will also run older programs unlike 7 and with patches runs just fine.
    It was just my observation with my machine, probably due more to the HP bloat ware. It was much better after I modified the boot menu, but I still like 7 more. I'm surprised to hear that Vista will run programs that 7 won't. I thought, and may be wrong, that 7 was built on Vista architecture. However, Vista did follow XP and so perhaps it was written with more carry over functionality.
    Yes, I've fffound it!

Live 2 Ride
    Vista IS a memory hog, worse than 7. I work in the industry, I've seen it firsthand.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast