Afric Pepperbird

A question for those professional air travelers.

I am taking a trip next week from Oregon, to visit family in Wisconsin.

I booked a round trip flight through Orbitz, and got an excellent deal.

While in Wisconsin, I plan on visiting family, doing some winter camping, and just relaxing. However, my trip is to be only 6 days, which I feel may not be enough.

My question is, assuming I'm having a great time, and want to extent the trip for 2-3 days, how do I go about it? I've only flown 4 times in my life, so am not a professional air traveler.

Firstly, will I need to contact Orbitz to inquire about rescheduling my return flight, or the airline itself (Frontier Airlines)? I'd assume that since I don't care which airline brings me back, I would not need to contact Frontier as far as rescheduling, correct? Whichever I contact, I would give them plenty of notice (2-3 days).

I'm sure a fee will be charged, but how much of a hit am I looking at? This will all be Economy class, so I'll get no "perks".

Does anyone have experience rescheduling through Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

High Desert MTBer
    Rescheduling usually involves a fee of some kind, especially on a cheap ticket, which these sites will usually provide. Air fare pricing is an arcane science known only to very few, so it is impossible to know your exact situation, but I would think a rescheduling fee of between 50 to 100 bucks... It does depend on the price structure tho... Go to the airline first, and then Orbitz if they are asking a lot.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Call Frontier to change.

You will pay difference in airfare from the ticket you purchased, plus a change fee as detailed here: Change or Cancel Tickets FAQs

Gotta pay to play
    Some of the discount air ticket places like Orbitz might not let you get a refund on the ticket or change your flight- it will be written in their agreement you electronically sign when you buy them. The best thing to do is to call them ASAP and tell them what you are thinking to get an idea of the fees.

Even if Orbitz says you can't do it- or there are fees. You can still call the airline and try to negotiate with them.

I've found the standard fees to be around $150 if you can't talk your way out of it.

mtbr member
    varies widely with the airline, and I'm not sure how orbitz enters into it. When I travel for work, I always book directly with the airline, and 95% of the time I fly on Southwest for exactly that reason (no change fees).

The other big thing, usually more than the change fee itself, is the super great fare you got isn't going to be available 2-3 days before the flight, and even if the airline doesn't charge a change fee, they will charge the difference between the fair you already bought and the fare available on the flight you're trying to change to.

That's kind of the thing about air travel in general: it can be amazingly cheap (considering...), but only if you plan it out well ahead of time.

mtbr member

A question for those professional air travelers.

I did a change with Frontier a few years ago. My business wrapped up half a day earlier than expected. I went to the Frontier counter and asked about bumping up my flight. For $20, they even adjusted my connecting flight in Denver with Southwest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    I did a change with Frontier a few years ago. My business wrapped up half a day earlier than expected. I went to the Frontier counter and asked about bumping up my flight. For $20, they even adjusted my connecting flight in Denver with Southwest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Totally different ballgame when you do it AT the airport. The kiosk clerks have all sorts of different "powers" than those in a phone bank, especially if they have the potential to fill a seat that would otherwise go empty.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Ride More, Whine Less
    Create a frequent flier account on Frontier Airlines. Log into the account and add your current trip to your account (using your name and the confirmation number). From there, you can start exploring different options. Depending on your ticket, you may have no change fee to up to $100 (Frontier Airlines | Travel Policies). You will also have to pay the difference in ticket prices. Depending on the day of the week and how many people are booked on your current flight as well as your new desired flight, the price could be much more, much less or the same.

As for camping in WI, good luck. This region is experiencing its spring thaw and everything is a soggy mess. If you can find the time, drive to the Trek Factory and take the tour (Waterloo is just outside of Madison). Even if you don't like Treks, it is fun to see the start to finish process of bike building.
    Last edited by heyyall; 03-30-2013 at 01:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Contact the airline directly, as soon as possible.