Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rod
    Endorphin Junkie

Question - I keep breaking spoking on the non drive side (disc brake side)

What's the easiest way to deal with this? I've just been replacing them as they break. I've broken 4-5 now. Should I just keep replacing them as they break? I'm thinking about getting a bigger gauge spoke and just retruing the entire rim. What have you guys done? I've never broken a spoke, but the rear wheel on this wheelset can't handle my braking.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

re member
    Sounds like un-even spoke tension issues. A loose spoke will cause the opposite spoke to have extra force applied when it rolls to the bottom of the axis and has to support all the weight at that instant. (the loose spoke at the top isn't "carrying it's weight" so to speak)
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

re member
    This is assuming at least semi-quality wheels and spokes....cheapo wheelsets, all bets are off.
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

human dehumidifier
    I had the same problem. Just go ahead and replace them all on that side and get it over with. Once I did that the problem stopped for me.

Doubtful your braking caused it. Mine started when I caught a stick and broke one, then every time I'd go out another would break. Apparently breaking one overloads another then it just cascades from there.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

re member
    If you have it trued, have the wheel builder be more concerned with even spoke tension, and less concerned with "true".
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Is this the
    " Because it's a new year, we can type bikes in the OC"
    thread??

High Desert MTBer
    Huh? What are these 'spokes' of which you speak in the OC?!?
    It's all Here. Now.

re member
    OMG, you guys are right!

I just had an 'out-of-forum' experience.
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I used a tension meter and went through the entire wheel. I then trued the wheel. It worked for awhile, but I just broke a spoke on my new year's eve ride. The spokes that I break are always on the non drive side. It's a Stan's crest wheelset. It's about a year old. I'm just frustrated with it.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Huh? What are these 'spokes' of which you speak in the OC?!?
    Well played sir

re member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I used a tension meter and went through the entire wheel. I then trued the wheel. It worked for awhile, but I just broke a spoke on my new year's eve ride. The spokes that I break are always on the non drive side. It's a Stan's crest wheelset. It's about a year old. I'm just frustrated with it.
    So did you have to "compromise" the tension on some of the spokes to get it "true"?
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

re member
    I do my own wheels, and once I quit going for "real true", and started going for even spokes, and just accept alittle out of round, I quit breaking spokes.
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    So did you have to "compromise" the tension on some of the spokes to get it "true"?
    To be honest, I probably did. I'll replace this spoke and then around the wheel again with the meter and check the spoke tension.

I guess the question is, so after i tension everything up evenly and it's not straight, what do I do?

re member
    I just leave it. Rim brakes it would be a real issue, disk brakes, not so much.
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

re member
    I will admit, if you do a lot of high-speed fireroad downhill runs, a wobbly wheel is noticable. Anything up to around 30mph, hardly.
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I do ride the road and fireroads quiet a bit, especially in the spring. I'll borrow the tension meter and go from there. If it happens again, I'll just replace the non drive side with larger spokes. These spokes are a little small for my taste.

human dehumidifier
    Seriously, go ahead and replace all the spokes on that side that haven't already been replaced. I went through the same crap you did, ride one day, fix it the next. Wash rinse repeat. I also posted a thread here to ask about it, but in the wheelbuilder's forum.

Coincidentally, mine were breaking on a Stan's wheel too, Arch on ZTR hubs, factory build.

I thought of pointing out the no bike talk in here rule, but I'm not inclined to tell anyone they're doing anything wrong.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

human dehumidifier
    Here's a link to the thread where I asked about the problem
    spoke breakage - next move?

mtbr member
    Once one spoke breaks, it puts more stress on the others. Then another breaks and puts more stress on the others. And so on... It's truly a never-ending cycle. We always replace all spokes (drive and non drive side) once this begins to happen. It solves the issue completely, and as long as the rim and hub are in good shape it's like riding a brand new wheel. I'd suggest a complete rebuild, although replacing just the non-drive side is still better than replacing one at a time.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I guess the question is, so after i tension everything up evenly and it's not straight, what do I do?
    With much patience and a good understanding of how the groups of 4 spokes actually relate, you should be able to get the wheel pretty much perfectly true, zero rotational run out, and all spokes tensioned within 5% of each other. Of coarse a dished rear rim will have a higher tension on the drive side, but you should be able to get each side within 5% of itself. 1.8-2.0 double butted spokes are plenty strong enough.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Thanks guys. Bob, I would rather ask in here due to me only using this forum for the past two years. I "know" these guys, know who builds their own wheels, and in short, trust their advice.

human dehumidifier
    Yeah Rod I know what you mean. It's less likely you'll get a STFU N00B kind of answer in here.

The few wheels I've built (or rebuilt) it seems like if you just go slow and get the tension equal early, it's not a big deal to build a good wheel. It takes me forever to finish one but it's not like I'm paying myself by the hour anyway.

re member
    I always seem to run out of patience, and have to settle for a little out of round or a bit of uneven spoke tension to get it perfect. I guess if I committed to the time, I could get a wheel there.
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    You're absolutely right Bob. It appears I just need to replace the spokes, take my time, and make sure everything is tensioned evenly again.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    It takes me forever to finish one but it's not like I'm paying myself by the hour anyway.
    Nope, you're paying yourself by the year... as they continue to roll.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast