Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury

Positions...on sleeping the right way.

I slept on my right side for hours [apparently] and woke up at 2am with my hip muscle balled up in a painful knot. It's now 4am and I've been rolling around in pain ever since. Massaging it and moving it around hasn't helped any. I'm up for work in a half an hour anyway. Maybe I'll venture out into the 20 degree darkness and try to loosen it up by walking around the block.

Anybody else have similar experiences with sleeping "wrong"?

Time for a new mattress I suspect.

The prices of mattresses these days could buy a nice bike or parts there of.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

9 lives
    I use to sleep on alternate sides, and occasionally on my stomach. Since my crash, I can only sleep on my back...I've never slept on my back. It's a whole new sleeping style, and dreams are messed up.
    I have to undo 50 years of sleeping conformity!

I agree with DJ, I'm also wondering whether a new mattress is necessary plus it's a shared investment. I have to consult with singlesprocket
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    I uses to wake up with back/hip pain once in a while and I always sleep on my side. I took the Mrs advice and stuck a pillow between my knees while side sleeping, it works great! Try it
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1996ish GT Timberline
    1988ish GT Mach One

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    I uses to wake up with back/hip pain once in a while and I always sleep on my side. I took the Mrs advice and stuck a pillow between my knees while side sleeping, it works great! Try it
    ding ding ding ding ding...we have a winnah!
    NTFTC

EMBA Member
    A good mattress is worth whatever it costs, IMO. There is nothing like a good nights sleep - or put another way, a bad nights sleep puts a real damper on the tomorrows of your life. I sleep on my left side, and sleep very well. When I broke my humerous 2 years ago, I was a back sleeper for a couple months while it healed, and it just didn't work well for me. I ended up raising my chest/head area a little using a couple pillows, and that helped somewhat. We spent a lot on our mattress, and I've never regretted it for a second. My wife is a right side sleeper, and puts a pillow between her legs. Helps her with hip pain.

Open your mind....
    Mattress law:

"if it's over 8, it's time to replace".

Mine is over 8. I think I sleep best on my back but I do roll onto my sides periodically. I have always been a poor sleeper, though. I too had hip pain from sleeping on my side over night. In fact, this is why I am up so early. That and I am getting older and I have confirmed arthritis in that hip.

You can get an excellent mattress for well under $1000. If you consider just how important a role it plays in your survival, a mattress is priceless.

Here's an incentive to help you make your new mattress purchase:

Over time, dust mites can substantially increase the weight of your mattress. When you go to bed, they go to dinner.

But don't just get a new mattress/box frame. Get new sheets, new pillow(s), and a new comforter/bed spread, too.

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Over time, dust mites can substantially increase the weight of your mattress. When you go to bed, they go to dinner.
    We bought a solid foam mattress for two reasons, detailed below. It wasn't cheap, but it's been comfortable, and it helps with my allergies.

Quotes from the net:

"Dust mite feces rather than the actual dust mites are the cause of allergic reactions in bed. The dust that accumulates in a coil mattress is contaminated with dust mite feces. Common allergic reactions to dust mite feces are sneezing, itching, watery eyes and wheezing. Dust mite allergies have also been linked to headaches, fatigue and depression."

"A solid memory foam mattresses or latex mattresses are by far the best mattresses for allergy sufferers. Because the core of these types of mattresses is not hollow, there is no incubator, no areas for dust mites to thrive in and no open cavity for the accumulation of allergens".

"Beds are a prime habitat (where 1/3 of life occurs). A typical used mattress may have anywhere from 100,000 to 10 million mites inside. (Ten percent of the weight of a two year old pillow can be composed of dead mites and their droppings.) Mites prefer warm, moist surroundings such as the inside of a mattress when someone is on it. A favorite food is dander (both human and animal skin flakes). Humans shed about 1/5 ounce of dander (dead skin) each week".

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    E Jeep mentioned using a pillow between your legs while on your side. I've been doing this sice I was a kid in the 60's. I figured it out all by myself without any doctors advice.

And I agree it's the only way to sleep on your side without stressing your lower back. My hip issue from last night may have been from lack of doing this I'm not sure if I did do it last night. I'm pretty sure it's due to laying in one spot for a long time on a crappy mattress.

BTW it's 7:30am now and I'm at work and my hip is still killing me.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

ENDO!!!
    We have a sleep number bed, takes some messing around with to figure out your "number" I normally sleep great on it, but the past week I have had a cast on my left ankle and have to sleep on my back... talk about some crazy dreams lately.
    Just circles turning circles....

Flo.
    Here's a mattress thread in the OC of a music forum I frequent: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...advice.488340/

live long and huck
    I have a $2800 memory foam mattress, suffered buyers remorse when I bought it about 8 years ago. It converted me from a side sleeper to a flat out back sleeper, and man do I saw logs now. Amazing mattress, you actually settle into it until you reach a "support equilibrium", I've got a medium firmness so it's not all mush but decently supportive. Can't say as I would recommend anybody drop that kind of cash on a mattress, but it's been a long time since I've felt I paid too much for it.

Oh, the foundation was another $1000.
    "Be brave. Do epic shit." - Sonya Looney

mtbr member
    spend moneys on a bed. cant have great days if you have shite nights.
    it's like riding the wrong bike

Open your mind....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    We bought a solid foam mattress for two reasons, detailed below. It wasn't cheap, but it's been comfortable, and it helps with my allergies.

Quotes from the net:

"Dust mite feces rather than the actual dust mites are the cause of allergic reactions in bed. The dust that accumulates in a coil mattress is contaminated with dust mite feces. Common allergic reactions to dust mite feces are sneezing, itching, watery eyes and wheezing. Dust mite allergies have also been linked to headaches, fatigue and depression."

"A solid memory foam mattresses or latex mattresses are by far the best mattresses for allergy sufferers. Because the core of these types of mattresses is not hollow, there is no incubator, no areas for dust mites to thrive in and no open cavity for the accumulation of allergens".

"Beds are a prime habitat (where 1/3 of life occurs). A typical used mattress may have anywhere from 100,000 to 10 million mites inside. (Ten percent of the weight of a two year old pillow can be composed of dead mites and their droppings.) Mites prefer warm, moist surroundings such as the inside of a mattress when someone is on it. A favorite food is dander (both human and animal skin flakes). Humans shed about 1/5 ounce of dander (dead skin) each week".
    Oh lovely, dust mite shit. We are all sleeping in it....

Open your mind....
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    My hip issue from last night may have been from lack of doing this I'm not sure if I did do it last night. I'm pretty sure it's due to laying in one spot for a long time on a crappy mattress.
    Might also be from not riding.

live long and huck
    Oh lovely, dust mite shit. We are all sleeping in it....
    That's why your mattress always feels it fits better after a 5 year break in. Nice and cozy.

live long and huck
    Might also be from not riding.
    Atrophy???

Open your mind....
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Atrophy???
    yep

...and, it's easy to blame all of our troubles on a lack of riding...

live long and huck
    yep

...and, it's easy to blame all of our troubles on a lack of riding...
    Even the emotional ones.

Open your mind....
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Even the emotional ones.
    Especially those

Meatbomb
    I don't fall for the replace at 8 marketing hype.

I have a memory foam and love it.

emo member
    I sleep doggy style!

Open your mind....
    I used to sleep hanging upside down from the ceiling until I met my wife.

Rabid Lana fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I sleep doggy style!
    18 hours a day?
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

Open your mind....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I sleep doggy style!
    Yo-yo-yo!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Positions...on sleeping the right way.-oc7.jpg  

emo member
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    18 hours a day?
    Think I feel a nap coming on

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast