Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    T.W.O.

Police shot a dog and then deny wrong doing. Outrageous!!!

banned
    Jan 2013
    Nothing is worse than a police state. Lets cook some bacon!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Need a pic (mugshot) of the cop

T.W.O.
    I wanna know what the K9 unit has to say about this. They lied then when caught they are not available for comment. I like cops but this is BS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by musikron View Post
    Lets cook some bacon!

Done.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

9 lives
    Very sad story and even more disturbing is that this has happened on other occasions. Words fail me
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    My comment posted on a picture of two K9 officers with their dogs on the departments facebook page...

" Too bad it wasn't you guys who showed up to the Luu families call, them maybe their dog would still be alive! "

being a public forum i didn't want to express my true feelings publicly! I'm waiting to see what kind of fall out I may get. you know how those pesky letters on the computer screen can hurt peoples feelings these days
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    '00 Homegrown

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Very sad story and even more disturbing is that this has happened on other occasions. Words fail me
    Agree, they just threw any commonsense out the door when they clocked into work. I do understand that it's a myth that everyone believe that the police are there to protect and serve. Yes, but not the citizens. They are there to protect and serve the law, that's their job. This is senseless, not even a collateral damage, Uggh! I'm mad.

Well here's mine at on his 2nd birthday

live long and huck
    Nice doggy. mimi.

mtbr member
    I've pepper sprayed dogs, even a pitbull that ran up and bit me on the back of the leg while at a residence investigating of all things, a dog complaint. I've never felt the need to have to shoot a dog though I've threatened to do so when owners allowed potentially dangerous dogs run at large despite warnings. There are times when it could possibly be necessary but in the video, that certainly doesn't look the case. The dog seemed to me to be charging and barking but didn't seem to be attempting to bite. Certainly something that could have been avoided. BTW, I'm a police K9 handler.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I've pepper sprayed dogs, even a pitbull that ran up and bit me on the back of the leg while at a residence investigating of all things, a dog complaint. I've never felt the need to have to shoot a dog though I've threatened to do so when owners allowed potentially dangerous dogs run at large despite warnings. There are times when it could possibly be necessary but in the video, that certainly doesn't look the case. The dog seemed to me to be charging and barking but didn't seem to be attempting to bite. Certainly something that could have been avoided. BTW, I'm a police K9 handler.

That's awesome looking pup. Belgian Malinois?

I'm working on his Schutzhund 1 right now. At least twice a week I'm faced with big dogs with grudges gunning toward me, of course it's the protect dog training and it's a big fun and game for them. Never once I feel like I have to get a gun or an object to shoot them. That said I understand some dogs I don't know, but still never crossed my mind that I'd be bitten by any dogs especially ones that I don't handle.

So Nubster, what's your take on this incident. I'm dying to know. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Nice doggy. mimi.
    Thanks much.

live long and huck
    BTW, I'm a police K9 handler.
    Thank you for your service, and for keeping us citizens safe.

mtbr member

True Dog owners are a breed of our own!... cool looking furry baby! kinda looks like my Karma( 3.5yr.old choco.Lab![laugh out loud])
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    He's a Dutch Shepherd. Different breed, same breed, depends on who you ask...lol

My take...I think it was something that could have been avoided. No doubt. First thing, if the property was posted, call first and make sure the dog(s) are secure. If that's not possible for some reason, request the people to come out to the officer. Since the warning signs were disregarded, the dog was doing what dogs do. The officers came on to his yard. She was protecting her family and her territory. I think that the female officer definitely over reacted at the sight of the "aggressive" dog and made a bad decision. Now in her defense, I'm sure the sight of that dog was a bit frightening, but I have a feeling that if she would have stayed collected, the dog would have barked and growled and nothing else. The owner could have came out and secured the dog. IMO, the dog should have been sprayed or tasered if anything, not shot. Not that quickly anyways.

So, it was disregard of the signs that led to this incident and bad decision making that lead to the shooting. Of course this is Monday morning quarter backing. I don't know that the dog was shot maliciously but definitely out of panic. IMO, the department should look hard at serious disciplinary action even firing. There's no place on the road for an officer that panics and shoots, even a dog.

mtbr member
    the two officers need to man up, give a very big public apology, buy them a new puppy and cover the dogs food and vet bills for 15years
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I guess I'm the only one who doesn't see this to be a complete screw up. It's just a bad circumstance. Clearly there was no sign of any dog(s) otherwise they would not have left the gate open behind them. The only thing they could have done to prevent this from ending badly would have been to call (on the phone) the man out when they arrived. Sad for the dog and it's owners.

mtbr member
    The one officer didn't really do anything wrong. Yeah, he went in the yard but had enough sense to leave the yard and shut the gate. The female officer, the more I think about it the more I think she needs **** canned. The other one, some sort of action but not firing. And yes, the department needs to just say, our guys f'ed up and offer up some compensation. They also need to do some training with the officers so that this might be avoided in the future.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I guess I'm the only one who doesn't see this to be a complete screw up. It's just a bad circumstance. Clearly there was no sign of any dog(s) otherwise they would not have left the gate open behind them. The only thing they could have done to prevent this from ending badly would have been to call (on the phone) the man out when they arrived. Sad for the dog and it's owners.
    EDIT: Perhaps the dog owner should have been aware of expected visitors and acted appropriately by locking the dogs up.

mtbr member
    I still think that the female did screw up. She freaked and shot the dog. It's pretty clear to me on the video that the shepherd wasn't attempting to bite her. You can see when the dog runs up she stops and barks and the way she's kinda bouncing up and down on her front feet to me indicates she isn't in attack mode, she's in hey, I don't know who the hell you are, why are you in my yard mode.

mtbr member
    EDIT: Perhaps the dog owner should have been aware of expected visitors and acted appropriately by locking the dogs up.
    That's a good point too. They did call the police so they knew they were coming.

mtbr member
    I really have to agree with this.
    You don't let large, aggressive looking dogs run loose in your front yard, where strangers are bound to show up. This is a very regrettable incident, but it could have been avoided by the dog's owners.
    Its all ****s and Giggles until somebody Giggles and ****s

T.W.O.

Agreed! It was not an emergency call, just a follow up. She was scared no doubt as seen on the vid as she walked out with the gun in her hand. Sadly, this is not the first or even few incidents of police shooting pet dogs.

I propose that you plan some training to reduce the fear of dogs in the pd. this would help out our four legged friends a whole lot.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the issue. It certainly makes me feel better.

mtbr member
    sorry! I"m Sorry! I just couldn't help myself! hope I don't offend anyone!..

Riggs makes up with the dog - YouTube
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    '00 Homegrown

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    I really have to agree with this.
    You don't let large, aggressive looking dogs run loose in your front yard, where strangers are bound to show up. This is a very regrettable incident, but it could have been avoided by the dog's owners.
    I have to disagree here, because clearly both pups are not aggressive, in fact it's the opposite they are quite friendly and calm. This is a private property, signs were posted to bring attention to any visitors. It was avoidable from many perspective but not from the dogs and dogs owner point of view.

For one thing, it's a non emergency follow up both officers could have called from the front, ok no problem. After that the male officer pet the pitbull, before he left his partner alone to deal with the dog, he should have communicate with her and get her to wait outside with him. Then leave the front gate together. Is that too much to ask, or it would have made too much sense.

9 lives
    I'm a dog owner. I've never been bitten or attacked by a dog... maybe I'm lucky.. I don't know. I'm trying to understand the police officer's reaction and the article doesn't explain so I'll have to surmise. The PO might not have had any training or experience in what to do when encountering a dog and didn't how to interpret the dogs body language. The PO might have had some unresolved fear of dogs and might have been bitten or attacked by a dog in the past. If that's the case she didn't have much insight in responding in a safe manner even if the dog appeared aggressive

Her reaction seems extreme.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Police shoot dogs all the time and get away with it. Really try googling it. There was one in Denver about a month ago. A dog that belonged across the street from a police call, that is sweet to everyone. And the whole block knew him as a nice dog. Everyone that was interviewed said he wouldn't harm a flea. A cop shows up for another issue and notices a dog off leash and shoots and kills him. No witnesses so he just said the dog tried to attack him. It's the old cop power trip, they think they are,above the law. If this happened in a state where citizens can carry. And one shot a dog like this, you can bet he would be facing charges.
    ---------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    The PO might not have had any training or experience in what to do when encountering a dog and didn't how to interpret the dogs body language. The PO might have had some unresolved fear of dogs and might have been bitten or attacked by a dog in the past. If that's the case she didn't have much insight in responding in a safe manner even if the dog appeared aggressive

Her reaction seems extreme.
    I think it's should be a prerequisite. You can't be a mountain bike racer if you scare to death of dirt, firefighter can be afraid of water, or a chef if you are afraid of heat. It's the PO job go enter residences, and many own dogs, there's no way she can shoot her way out of this.

It's wrong in so many levels, for one, there's an eleven year old in the house, what if the bullet hit him, what if he follow the dog out, too many things to consider before she pulled the gun out, when the absolute worst thing that could happen to her is a dog bite. Based on this incident alone, both POs should not be on the street anymore. Take a desk job.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Police shoot dogs all the time and get away with it.
    Yep, sad but true. I heard many stories.

~Disc~Golf~
    this thread needs this:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1M8vei3L0L8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(sorry nubster )
    Honestly... ahh I give up

meow meow
    to me that dog was obviously just excited to see some new people. didnt seem aggressive, just energized. as for the shooting, shouldnt have happened but people mess up. the real tragedy is the police wouldnt foot a $7000 bill to fix their mistake. if you screw up at least own it and fix it.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    to me that dog was obviously just excited to see some new people. didnt seem aggressive, just energized. as for the shooting, shouldnt have happened but people mess up. the real tragedy is the police wouldnt foot a $7000 bill to fix their mistake. if you screw up at least own it and fix it.
    this is a very big problem for me.

the attitude; *shrug shoulders* "hey, people screw up" is not acceptable when dealing with weapons, to me.

People can screw up a food order, giving directions, or remembering your name... The police have no REAL accountability - I want them to be facing possible jail-time, just like anyone else would face, for these asshats in blue - (and not just this particular 'get away with being above the law' episode)

meow meow
    not my additude at all, didnt mean to come off like that. i agree, when it comes to weapons there can not be mistakes. all i mean is that at the very least the police could have footed the bill to save the dog and at least partially make up for their actions. people need to be accountable for what they do was my point.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    this is a very big problem for me.

the attitude; *shrug shoulders* "hey, people screw up" is not acceptable when dealing with weapons, to me.

People can screw up a food order, giving directions, or remembering your name... The police have no REAL accountability - I want them to be facing possible jail-time, just like anyone else would face, for these asshats in blue - (and not just this particular 'get away with being above the law' episode)
    Yeah, but that's not it though, shoulder shrugging is not the end of it. When the pup's owner ask the PO why she shot her puppy, and why they didn't call ahead, the PO demanded to see the license and doc for the both dogs. Some nerves

Jail-time is pretty much would never happen but I'd like to see both officers get their guns and permit to carry taken away.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    not my additude at all, didnt mean to come off like that. i agree, when it comes to weapons there can not be mistakes. all i mean is that at the very least the police could have footed the bill to save the dog and at least partially make up for their actions. people need to be accountable for what they do was my point.
    cool

but there is that attitude when it comes to police by many

How many have a job where you can murder someone and get paid leave while they 'investigate' their own to determine if you were following 'protocol', or if not, simply released. - what a joke

This thread reminded me of a cop incident that has been ongoing in my local area. In Colorado it's pretty common to see Elk or deer roaming through neighborhoods. Well in Boulder there was a huge 6x6 point Bull Elk that became a regular neiborhood roamer. The kind of Elk considered a huge trophy that,all Elk hunters dream of taking. He was so common around town that the locals named him "Big Boy" and was photographed in the news and in the newspaper for a couple of years.The community enjoyed his presence.

Well several months ago a cop happens upon him and shoots and kills him with his service shotgun. He then calls his buddy cop who was off duty and he hauls it away. No report was filed. Nobody has to know right. Until the dumbass posted a photo of
    himself in uniform and the dead Elk. A lady caught wind of it and brought it to the authorities
    attention, and the media. So the next day the one
    cop told his department "yes I shot an already
    injured Elk and had the other off duty cop haul it
    away". When the community heard of it there was
    a huge outburt and the community demanded an
    investigation.

So they opened up an internal investigation. They
    found out it was a premeditated event. They found
    text messages between the two officers 20 hours
    prior to the shooting. One cop knew where the Elk
    would be at a certain time, so he knew he could
    shoot it. He just needed a way to get the
    body hauled away quickly, so nobody would know.
    So his buddy cop called in sick that day. He spots
    the Elk shoots and kills it. Then his off duty cop
    buddy comes in,and hauls it away,as fast as
    possible. Funny thing is as soon as an investigation
    was launched both cops resigned. How guilty is
    that. They are currently going through trial right
    now and are facing multiple felony as well as
    misdemeanor charges. Be sure to check out both links. Boulder cop shoots elk photo - Google Search

Ex-Boulder cops Sam Carter, Brent Curnow charged in Mapleton elk shooting - Boulder Daily Camera
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 06-23-2013 at 02:32 AM.
    ---------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post

How many have a job where you can murder someone and get paid leave while they 'investigate' their own to determine if you were following 'protocol',
    Doesn't this fall inline with the whole Innocent until proven guilty thing?
    -Dad

mtbr member
    depends on how big your bank account is
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    I don't stand a chance...
    -Dad

T.W.O.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post

So they opened up an internal investigation. They
    found out it was a premeditated event. They found
    text messages between the two officers 20 hours
    prior to the shooting. One cop knew where the Elk
    would be at a certain time, so he knew he could
    shoot it. He just needed a way to get the
    body hauled away quickly, so nobody would know.
    So his buddy cop called in sick that day. He spots
    the Elk shoots and kills it. Then his off duty cop
    buddy comes in,and hauls it away,as fast as
    possible. Funny thing is as soon as an investigation
    was launched both cops resigned. How guilty is
    that. They are currently going through trial right
    now and are facing multiple felony as well as
    misdemeanor charges.

That's just another epic fail. Thanks for sharing. I read somewhere that co now has a mandatory animal behavior training for all LEO. At least that's the start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

live long and huck
    Many of those in a position of authority seem to feel privileged and above the law. Personally, I feel that they should be held more accountable than your typical citizen, because of their position of authority. Should not a position of authority in itself be a privilege, earned through the display of exceptional responsibility?

T.W.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    Yes, they were innocent when they gave their reports stating all the incident, including the extra effort to "shake the gate and wait to make sure that there was no dog" and after a clear indication of threat to she own life she fired a shot, also that they informed the owner that she shot the dog but the dog was fine.

They were innocent then til the video proved their guilt. I don't need them to spend another million of our tax $$ to come up with another way to spin it. Now possibly more because the city would most likely settled with the dog owner as there are a bunch of lawyers lining up to take a shot at the PD, sorry for the pun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    I feel they should be held to some sort of physical standards and mandatory gym time
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    '00 Homegrown

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    I feel they should be held to some sort of physical standards and mandatory gym time
    That would also be an example of exceptional responsibility. Maintaining oneself, both emotionally and physically, to a high standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Many of those in a position of authority seem to feel privileged and above the law. Personally, I feel that they should be held more accountable than your typical citizen because of their position of authority. Should not a position of authority in itself be a privilege, earned through the display of exceptional responsibility?
    I 100% Agree on that.
    ---------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    the police force does mirror the military... there's a youtube video (and i'm sure more) of a fat lazy cop to damn out of shape to chase down a 100lb. girl in handcuffs. being as lazy and out of shape as he was he felt justified to taz the girl while running resulting in her head hitting the cement and now being fed through a feeding tube. he was let off with the to familiar slap on the wrist and " don't do that again" certificate. regardless of why the girl was in cuff, had the fat bastard been in shape he easily EASY could have gotten her within 50 yards. the cop's "justification" , she to prevent her from running in to traffic yet the video clearly shows the large parking lot between point A and B... i'll see if i can find it
    Last edited by shwinn8; 06-23-2013 at 11:51 AM.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    YUP!! LOOK AT THAT FAT PIECE OF ****! zero moral integrity!

Cop Tasers handcuffed girl in back, now braindead - YouTube
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    '00 Homegrown

live long and huck
    Do a slo-mo. Way back by the Coke machine, as soon as the cop is visible, she's only an arm length away from him, and he's already extending his arm to zap her. He didn't even try to catch her.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    Unfortunately, for us common folk, the legal system has turned into 'Guilty until you can prove you're innocent'

mtbr member
    or insane.. case in point, colorado theater dude
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    '00 Homegrown

High Desert MTBer
    There's a bunch of over-zealous taser incidents on Youtube. Many cops use them for no real reason. I was tasered once when facing a wall and doing exactly what the cop was asking of me. Got arrested and spent the night in jail, and had years of expensive fun with the immigration people and various attorneys because of it, even tho all charges were dropped because video evidence showed I was completely innocent of everything. Strangely, there was no video record of me being 'arrested'. Even tho I believe there is a need for the po, I am not a big fan of that small-minded, 'us vs. them', and often brutal mentality that so often prevails in the 'force for good'... they should not be our enemies, and should be here to protect and serve, not spread unnecessary violence. Sh*t, we pay their wages fercrissakes!!!
    It's all Here. Now.

~Disc~Golf~
    Police DO 'protect and serve' ... their own interests.

I'm not just parroting either - I have my own personal stories (that I have told here ;some have bashed on for being a hater, or saying there 'must' be more to my story)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast