Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sweat is just fat crying.

Plane crash thread

I can't stop watching these. Post your faves up.

Plane Air Show Horrible Crashes | Air Show compilation part #1 - YouTube

Crash @ 2:20. Oh, the humanity!
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

High Desert MTBer
    Nasty...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Yup some horrific incidents for sure. The incident from the reno air races 2yrs ago where a P51 crashes near the spectator stands is one to see (or not)if your able to find a vid of it.

Front Range, Colorado
    What goes up must come down. Those are tough to watch knowing people are dying right in front of you.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

re member
    These guys are all very lucky, apparently. The pilot got a little beat up.

Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    These guys are all very lucky, apparently. The pilot got a little beat up.

is it me or does he look like he is playing on an ipad at the beginning?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

sympathy for society
    Some scary stuff in that vid.

While I was station at Hill AFB Utah in 1998 I witnessed an F-16 crash right in front of me. It was crazy! I worked in communications and we were fixing some NEXRAD equipment cabling in a manhole along the inner edge of the taxiway. We were far enough away of the flightline to allow operations to go as usual, but in the grass between the taxiway and the flightline. Myself and one of my troops were standing above the manhole, while my other two troops where down inside splicing the cable.

F-16's had been taking off all day, non stop. The sound was deafening but you got used to it. I am standing there and I heard an odd sound as this F-16 was taking off far down the flightline. They were practicing "stop & go's" all day so the pilot kicked the afterburners and shot almost straight up (an awesome sight). He went straight up, heard a bang, then a lot of whistling sound, and all of a sudden the jet rotated and started coming pretty much straight down! As I am watching this I had just enough time to tell my troop standing there to run and take cover fast! This jet hits the runway directly in front of me and instantly exploded and skidded to the right into the grass separating the taxiway and flightline and exploded more, throwing metal and fire in the air. The heat and concussion from the explosion was wild. I dropped to the ground and looked for my troop, who had run his ass clear across the taxiway by now... haha.. The pilot had ejected a few hundred yards up and landed pretty hard. If I remember correctly he broke both legs and an arm, but survived. Me on the other hand, I ended up having about three inches of hair singed off from my forehead back. Crazy part was the burns I got from it on my skin were no more than a sun burn. It exploded fast and hot, hot enough to melt my hair. haha. I have to find a picture, I know i Have one somewhere.

Anyway... yea.. F-16's make a big explosion when they lawn dart.. Ohh and the cause of the crash was some sort of gauge that levels the aircraft out was installed upside down. He wanted to go up fast, but it took him down fast. Hill AFB is a F-16 Depo base, BTW. They stress test, refurb and demo all F-16's.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak View Post

While I was station at Hill AFB Utah in 1998 I witnessed an F-16 crash right in front of me. It was crazy! I worked in communications and we were fixing some NEXRAD equipment cabling in a manhole along the inner edge of the taxiway. We were far enough away of the flightline to allow operations to go as usual, but in the grass between the taxiway and the flightline. Myself and one of my troops were standing above the manhole, while my other two troops where down inside splicing the cable.

F-16's had been taking off all day, non stop. The sound was deafening but you got used to it. I am standing there and I heard an odd sound as this F-16 was taking off far down the flightline. They were practicing "stop & go's" all day so the pilot kicked the afterburners and shot almost straight up (an awesome sight). He went straight up, heard a bang, then a lot of whistling sound, and all of a sudden the jet rotated and started coming pretty much straight down! As I am watching this I had just enough time to tell my troop standing there to
    run and take cover fast! This jet hits the runway
    directly in front of me and instantly exploded and
    skidded to the right into the grass separating the
    taxiway and flightline and exploded more,
    throwing metal and fire in the air. The heat and
    concussion from the explosion was wild. I
    dropped to the ground and looked for my troop,
    who had run his ass clear across the taxiway by
    now... haha.. The pilot had ejected a few hundred
    yards up and landed pretty hard. If I remember
    correctly he broke both legs and an arm, but
    survived. Me on the other hand, I ended up
    having about three inches of hair singed off from
    my forehead back. Crazy part was the burns I got
    from it on my skin were no more than a sun burn.
    It exploded fast and hot, hot enough to melt my
    hair. haha. I have to find a picture, I know i Have
    one somewhere.

Anyway... yea.. F-16's make a big explosion when they lawn dart.. Ohh and the cause of the crash
    was some sort of gauge that levels the aircraft out
    was installed upside down. He wanted to go up
    fast, but it took him down fast. Hill AFB is a F-16
    Depo base, BTW. They stress test, refurb and
    demo all F-16's.
    Wow Sodak glad to hear everyone survived. And I'm sure a new pair of underwear were in order after witnessing that.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

While I was station at Hill AFB Utah in 1998 I witnessed an F-16 crash right in front of me. It was crazy!
    Uh, yes, that is crazy. Glad you're ok. Wow. Man, your ears must be effed up from that constant din that day.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

official eMpTyBRain
    This thread is a train wreck waiting to happen (see what I did there?).
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

rod skinner
    Oct 2005
    ^^ It's going down in flames.

Yeesh, the second one in this is god-awful. The stuff nightmares are made of.

Horrible Plane Crash Compilation Part #3 - YouTube

b a n n e d
    Crazy story:

I was in Hawaii with my girlfriend in 2001, and we were staying on Oahu. I had booked us a flight tour of the island chains, taking off from Dillingham airfield up on the North shore. Well, we got there for our reservation but on the drive in I noticed that one end of the airstrip is for glider planes and skydiving, and the other is the Cessna tours (at least it used to be setup this way; dunno if it still is - this was like 12 years ago).

Well, being what it was, we ended up going to the wrong end of the airstrip and the glider/skydiving guys offered us a glider ride AND jump for the same price as the Cessna tour. I figured, Meh, WTF. My GF and I both did the glider plane, which I thought was totally awesome. She absolutely hated every friggin' second of it. She did not realize that we detached from the tow plane, and when we did . . . near sheer panic. Again, I thought it was completely amazing.

Then I went skydiving . . . it was the last jump of the day, so I got to go up with all the instructors - which means an extra 2000 feet. After a 3 minute (no exaggeration) "lesson" up, up and away. Strange feeling, I must admit, to realize that you will NOT be in a plane when it lands! Also a totally awesome experience. I probably will never do it again, but it was very cool

So what does this have to do with plane crashes? Well, remember that Cessna tour I was scheduled for? That exact plane crashed into the ocean just off shore. I am NOT kidding. Everyone lived and injuries were only minor, but the fuggin' thing still crashed.

Holy. Hell. Talk about a near miss.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Front Range, Colorado
    Great story 007

Sodaks story reminded me of another reason I miss San Diego. The Top Gun school was there at Miramar. In fact the movie Top Gun was filmed there and at Coronado and downtown San Diego. Miramar is where the fighter pilots are trained on F-16's

Anyway being so close to Miramar I would always see F-16 flying very close. Such an awesome sight. Also the Blue Angels come there every year. In fact a couple times we rode our bikes to a secret local trail that the Blue Angels would fly over and bank right above us.

We would time our mtb ride so that we'd be at the top of a hill at 3:00 p.m. when the Blue Angels took flight. Every year this show was like clock work. Their routine is the same and from that vantage point they would bank around us several times. Then you watch them disappear off towards the desert. I heard they go 20 miles out before returning a few minutes later for a certain part of the routine.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 11-14-2013 at 01:01 AM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

official eMpTyBRain
    OK, I now recall a plane crash incident I sort of witnessed once.

My wife and I had attended a Christmas party in San Luis Obispo. We stayed in the extra room at my Cousin's place after the party was over. In the middle of the night I saw some big flashes and then a power outage. A few moments later, there was the most teeth grinding loud metallic scraping sound I'd ever heard. Turns out a small plane had taken off from the local airport and lost power shortly there after. It glided toward an open field, but hit some power lines, then slide along out of control on HWY 101 near the drive-in theater. Can't recall if they lived or died, though. Many moons ago, this was.

Oh, and great stories guys!!!

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    This thread is a train wreck waiting to happen (see what I did there?).
    Kinda like what I did in the 11/12/13 thread only different.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Kinda like what I did in the 11/12/13 thread only different.
    Same thing, only different?

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Same thing, only different?
    Sorry just my sarcastic way.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

official eMpTyBRain
    No need for an apology, I live my entire life by that phrase.

mtbr member

Here's a 16-minute compilation: The Scariest PLANE CRASHES ever caught on camera - YouTube

There's a Stealth crash on it, boy, THAT was expensive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I was 9 years old when I was at an air show in Ramstein, Germany when the Italian air demo team (tricolores) crashed into the stands. My dad had decided since they were the last to go up, we'd leave and watch from the car and due to traffic we only made it about 500' from where where they impacted into the crowd. Being the good samaratin my dad is, he/we took about 8 people with 2nd and 3rd degree burns to the closest hospital (we had a full size chevy van with no seats in the back). Fast forward 11 years and I was in the Navy when a I got to hear that awful sound again when a test pilot crashed at my base.

Somehow tho, I still love going to air shows. Airplanes are still awesome to me, and nothing compares to the sound of fighter jets flying overhead.. I have way more happy memories of air shows than bad ones.

sympathy for society
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Wow Sodak glad to hear everyone survived. And I'm sure a new pair of underwear were in order after witnessing that.
    Thankfully the plane skidded to the right after impact. The initial explosion was the only issue for us. The majority of the debris went to the right and behind us. 1998 was a rough year at Hill AFB. I think we lost about 6 in just shy of two years I was there. I was tasked with search and recovery two times at UTTR (Utah Test and Training Range), looking for jet parts or body parts during my time there.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

sympathy for society
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Uh, yes, that is crazy. Glad you're ok. Wow. Man, your ears must be effed up from that constant din that day.
    Is that why I hear a constant ring? haha.. I usually had earmuffs on, and they were most likely in the truck that day. After awhile, usually lunchtime, you get used to the noise and tired of not being able to hear your crew. After lunch they were usually located on the dashboard of the truck. .

Front Range, Colorado
    Thankfully the plane skidded to the right after impact. The initial explosion was the only issue for us. The majority of the debris went to the right and behind us. 1998 was a rough year at Hill AFB. I think we lost about 6 in just shy of two years I was there. I was tasked with search and recovery two times at UTTR (Utah Test and Training Range), looking for jet parts or body parts during my time there.
    Wow that's a pretty hard thing to deal with.

I have a friend who does aircraft recovery. He goes to crash sites and recovers all the parts and hauls them to warehouses for investigation purposes of why the crash happened. He has some narley stories of what he's found. Most of his recoveries are in the western states in the mountains. Making recovery very difficult with parts strewn across miles of mountains and forest.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast