Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

pit bull passion

Thought this was worth sharing:
    Saving Cadence - an abused Pit Bull shows us the power of second chances. Please share. - YouTube

I have a rescue pit from NYC, he now has a home in the country and loves to run the trails with me.
    Anyone else have a love for the pit bulls? I know they get a bad rap, but man they are just loving dogs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pit bull passion-6.jpg  

pit bull passion-dscn2200.jpg  

"foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

T.W.O.
    Pitbulls are among the sweetest dogs I've encountered, even under one year old they are not much of butt heads like other breeds. It's the dumb owners who ruin the dogs. A friend of mine has 3 pit rescue, they are quiet, sweet, and very respectful.

mtbr member
    I owned one. Never had a problem with her, she was great with my kids. Just had to make sure she was on a tight leash around cats and small animals.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

mtbr member
    Anyone who likes dogs and doesn't pits lets propaganda and fear control reality.
    Most pits can be summed up in a few words. Loyal, powerful, courageous, eager to please, with an amazing threshold for pain. Unfortunately that's a dangerous combo if you're an @sshole and want your dog to be one also.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    They are great dogs if treated right.

No Stranger to danger....
    English and American Staffies are the most popular dog here in Aus, im a massive fan of them, the greatest dog breed on earth imo.
    Over the last few years the American pits have copped a bad wrap and are banned in a few places which is a real pitty.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    English and American Staffies which is a real pitty.
    Good question Tones. Hmmmmm...

I eat cats
    I shed a tear watching that video. At 32 years old I still get excited just to be around dogs like a little kid does. I am currently helping to try and find a home for my neighbors Rottweiler because his ex-wife is trying to use it as a pawn in a custody battle by claiming it's a danger for his girls. I guess it could lick them too much because that's all he does. If it comes down to it the pooch will be staying with me and my wife until a good home is found. We just both work all day so it's not fair for us to take him for good.

Front Range, Colorado
    Pit Bulls although they were bread for fighting really are actually very nice smart dogs. It all depends on how the owner treats them. Years ago I had a roommate that had one. He was an extremely smart and friendly dog. And he was one of the largest Pits I have ever seen. He would ride in the passenger side seat of my buddy's pickup truck. Just like a person and rest his arm on the arm rest. No hanging his head out the window like other dogs. His favorite pass time was hilarious. His owner would drive him to the country and find a field full of cattle. Let BUTCH go and off he ran. Right up behind one and bite it's rear leg gently right where the hamstring is, and the cow would fall down. Then he would sprint to the next one and repeat. It was all in fun and he never harmed the cows just startled them. I have many funny
    memories of that dog having lived with him for a
    year or so. One time my two roommates and I left town for the weekend. We left him in the house
    with food and water. And full access to the garage
    to go the bathroom. He never before went in the
    house but either in the back yard or the garage.
    Well we returned and out of spite for us leaving
    him that dog took several craps around our dining
    room table. He knew where we ate tell me that's
    not intelligence.

Well as I said earlier he was an extremely large
    beautiful pit. Large chest and all muscle. The ideal
    Pit that the jackasses look for to fight.
    Unfortunately his size worked against him in life.
    My roommate ended up moving back to his
    parents house. A huge lakeside rich home.
    Someone broke into that beautiful home and stole
    that dog and nothing else. Never to be seen again.
    The consensus was that he was stolen for fighting.
    He was so friendly that he would have allowed
    someone to take him. I miss BUTCH he was an
    awesome dog and my point is even though they
    are bread for fighting the main thing is how they
    are treated, that is the product you end up with. If
    you mistreat them they have the bread in fighting
    power to do some serious damage. Unfortunately
    the majority of Pit owners are young males that
    think it's a macho dog to have. They mistreat them, and before you know it someone gets bit.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

T.W.O.

pit bull passion

I'm around dogs on a daily basis, around here most of my customers have dogs big and small. Most big ones are usually pretty good as the owners would not let them get away with bad behaviors, especially ones that would get them sued.

It's always the little ones that misbehaved. People who fears dogs always have something bad to say about big or "dangerous" breeds. I've never seen a misbehaved Dane, Newfie, Rotti, or German Shepard because most owners would not let them get away with it.

That said there are many dumb owners who are not ready or ill prepare to even own a Chihuahua

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk pro

official eMpTyBRain
    Why is it that this breed is responsible for so many terrifying attacks and killings? Somebody please help me understand. The breed is not even allowed on our property by the owner of my building. That's how bad it's gotten for them.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Why is it that this breed is responsible for so many terrifying attacks and killings? Somebody please help me understand. The breed is not even allowed on our property by the owner of my building. That's how bad it's gotten for them.
    Because they were bread to fight so it is in them. Then the majority of owners are young males that buy that breed to be macho. They have no means owning a dog of any breed. Then they mistreat them and that's where the fighting instinct comes out and someone gets hurt.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Because they were bread to fight so it is in them. Then the majority of owners are young males that buy that breed to be macho. They have no means owning a dog of any breed. Then they mistreat them and that's where the fighting instinct comes out and someone gets hurt.
    If that's the explanation for the attacks, then the owners are all liars because every single one of them claims that their dog was the sweetest dog in the world. Then some innocent lady comes walking by, the dog escapes and it chews her face off, or even worse, the dog turns on the owner's child and we all know how that usually turns out.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Front Range, Colorado
    If that's the explanation for the attacks, then the owners are all liars because every single one of them claims that their dog was the sweetest dog in the world. Then some innocent lady comes walking by, the dog escapes and it chews her face off, or even worse, the dog turns on the owner's child and we all know how that usually turns out.
    Yeah we could discuss this back and forth forever. It's in the breed to be a fighter and you can't retard hundreds of years of bloodline developement. So even a well kept loved Pit could turn in the right situation. But the majority of the ones that do are from neglected households. Of course when one attacks the owners are going to say "oh he was such a sweet dog". Anything to protect their ass.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

T.W.O.
    Some people mistreated the pitbull, many are treated like a human babies, which is wrong. Dogs are not human, they are not capable of reasoning. They love to please us. Stupid ones always love to let their pitbull do what they want to do, not exercise or properly train the dogs, and fail to keep them secure. Some got out and roaming the street in a pack and killed an old lady a few months ago here in SoCal. I hold the owner fully responsible for the act.

Humans and dogs can only peacefully coexist when the dogs are in the follower role. Human society cannot allow dogs to bark, growl, snap at, or bite another human in order to tell them they are not happy with what they are doing. If our dogs get away and are running in the streets, it cannot be the dog who decides when they must come back. We cannot let the dog decide when it is OK for us to leave for work. We cannot let the dog decide who is allowed to walk into your home and who is not. We cannot let the dog decide who is allowed to touch "their" ball or sit in "their" chair.

Dogs are social animal, with very complex hierarchy, I rank my puppies this way start from highest Baby/kids, elderly, female, male, puppies, another dog. My dogs approach kids very slowly, like it's asking for permission to come on board, regardless of how excited the kids. My dogs are never allowed to approach infant, it's the ultimate respect as they are the highest ranking Alpha.

Front Range, Colorado
    Oh let me add in although I wrote a story above of a Pit I lived with. He was all sweet and gave no untrusting signs ever towards humans. I was still fearful of him knowing what he was capable of if he did turn. I love all dogs unless they give me a reason not to. But even knowing of a couple loving Pits I would by no means trust any unfamilier ones. The problem is this breed should never have been created by humans. But they are here and all we can do now if we choose to own one is show love and respect. So they stay as loving as they are as pups.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

T.W.O.
    Dogs are pack animal, they would not bite a pack member, at least not in the protective way. They may bite, when they feel you step out of line and not acting like a good follower, the same way they treat their lower ranking pack members. It takes a lot of work to train and socialize your puppy in order for them to fit in our world. Once you get the behavior you want in one place say, inside your house, then it's time to move on and prove in other areas like back yard, front yard, public places, etc. Once the hard work pays off your dogs will behaving the same everywhere.

One thing about pitbull and dog fight, as I would not be scared of a dog fighting pitbull not one bit because that's not what they are trained to do.

The people fighting the Pitbull are looking for dogs with dog aggression. NOT human aggression. When a dog fighter has a "good" fighting dog, the dog's aggression is toward other dogs, not humans. Dog fighters must be able to step into the ring and pull their dog off without their dog turning around and attacking them. They must be able to have their dog in a room full of betting bystanders without the dog attacking the humans. It is a myth that Pitbulls are bred to attack people. The thugs train them to fight other dogs, not humans.

The media will do anything to sell a story and they use the Pitbull for ratings. Here are just a few examples. I was once reading an article about a Border Collie who killed a child, yet the pictures in the article were all pictures of vicious Pitbulls. In another story, a pack of four dogs hunted down and killed a human. The news only showed pictures of one of the four dogs. The one they showed was, you guessed it, a Pitbull. They never showed the other dogs in the pack, which were clearly not Pitbulls. Another time I was watching the news and there was a story of a Bull Terrier that had bitten a person. The media called the dog a Pitbull. Bull Terriers are an AKC-recognized breed and are clearly NOT Pitbulls. There was a story of a Pomeranian killing a 6-week-old baby; however, that story did not get as much media coverage because the dog was not a Pitbull. The media's attempt to create a panic over a dog breed is sadly working. I was reading a story of a Jack Russell Terrier that had jumped into a newborn baby's cradle and killed it. All of the comments below the article were of how bad Pitbulls were. The Jack Russell got a pass.

Most dog bites do not come from Pitbulls, but rather small and medium sized dogs. A large percentage of bites go unreported because the bite did not require medical attention. Pitbulls are strong and when they bite, like all large-breed dogs, the bite is bigger, causing more damage. If we were to only look at dog attacks coming from non-criminal owners, the percentage of Pitbull attacks drops dramatically to where it would be less of an issue than Labrador Retriever attacks.

Irresponsible owners are to blame for the dogs attack, not the dogs raised to be that way. Every dog owners should step up and take the responsibility and stop blaming the breeds or species.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Oh let me add in although I wrote a story above of a Pit I lived with. He was all sweet and gave no untrusting signs ever towards humans. I was still fearful of him knowing what he was capable of if he did turn. I love all dogs unless they give me a reason not to. But even knowing of a couple loving Pits I would by no means trust any unfamilier ones. The problem is this breed should never have been created by humans. But they are here and all we can do now if we choose to own one is show love and respect. So they stay as loving as they are as pups.
    I give most credits to the co-existence and creation of many dog breeds to the success of human civilization. Without dogs human would not settle into one place. Dog guard the farm, livestock, and provide protection. As recent as some ten thousand years ago the population of human were about the same as wolf only about a million. Look at where we are now. Did you know? Dogs don't communicate by barking, it's the language that they created to communicate with us. How cool is that?

High Desert MTBer
    I like cats, but I need to have some protection for my house, so I am working on a cat/pit cross that will satisfy all my requirements... I will let you all know how I get on...
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    It does look like it's been done, or at least tried, before...

Name:  $(KGrHqFHJEQFHh(8GHI0BR-FKie+5g~~60_35.JPG
Views: 417
Size:  18.0 KB
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    This is kind of what I'm hoping for...

Name:  dog-dressed-as-cat-costume.png
Views: 5534
Size:  101.5 KB
    It's all Here. Now.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Pits are simply the current 'tuff guy' thug dog. there's nothing inherently bad about the breed.

1. Tuff guy wants an aggressive HUGE dog.

2. Backyard breeders breed for aggression and size.

3. Tuff guy gets huge aggressive dog.

4. Rinse/repeat and you get a large number of purpose bred aggressive/unpredictable dogs that are treated as a status symbol...

Unfortunately it is impossible to "see" if a pittie (or any other dog) falls into the backyard aggro breeder category..and when a large fighting breed bites cats, other dogs, or little kids, they get maimed or killed

Same thing happened with German shepherds, Rottweilers (the movie the Omen I think brought Rotties out), Dobermans, etc....

And to be honest my kidlets (2 and 4) are never left alone with any breed of dog larger than them....simply because little kids are super unpredictable..
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I like cats, but I need to have some protection for my house, so I am working on a cat/pit cross that will satisfy all my requirements... I will let you all know how I get on...
    get one of these...

pit bull passion-5_lg.jpg

pretty sure they'll simply eat pit bulls...tires....lawnmowers...trees...burglars...e tc....
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    get one of these...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5_lg.jpg 
Views:	1259 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	832494

pretty sure they'll simply eat pit bulls...tires....lawnmowers...trees...burglars...e tc....

Hmm, not too sure about the red dress thing, I may have to buy him some jeans or something...
    It's all Here. Now.

I'm your density
    Pit bulls are like the Chuck Norris of dogs -- even bullets are afraid to touch them!

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast