Thread: phone case

usually cranky

phone case

random little tidbit, if you are looking for a case for your phone that is rough and tumble but still pretty thin check out otter box. i got the commuter case for my gsIII and i am impressed.

Big Mac
    Is it waterproof?

usually cranky
    not this one but otter box offers them. this is for the bumps and shock that comes with biking.

mtbr member
    Ive had the otterbox this past year and though its bulky and tough, the screen gets scratched up easy (more so than just a laminate screen saver) and makes viewing the phone in daylight suck.

The exo rubber gets stretched very easy after some use which makes for a sloppy setup. Would love to have a strong case like this but with an open screen where I could use just a standard screen laminate. Maybe ill cut out my otterbox screen.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by NuckingFuts View Post
    Ive had the otterbox this past year and though its bulky and tough, the screen gets scratched up easy (more so than just a laminate screen saver) and makes viewing the phone in daylight suck.

The exo rubber gets stretched very easy after some use which makes for a sloppy setup. Would love to have a strong case like this but with an open screen where I could use just a standard screen laminate. Maybe ill cut out my otterbox screen.
    i've tried them all. otterbox is not bad but way too bulky and stick in the pocket...

the bestest case ever is Lifeproof. period.

waterproof, less bulky and looking better than otterbox.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    not this one but otter box offers them. this is for the bumps and shock that comes with biking.
    would not take my iphone to the trails in commuter. only defender by otterbox or even better - lifeproof. that way i can put it in the back pocket and not worry about being soaked in sweat.

b a n n e d
    I've had an Otterbox commuter since getting the iPhone 4 and now again for the iPhone 5. Its a tough, durable, sturdy case that does its job and does it well. Paired with the Power Authority screen protectors through the Apple store, its a great combo. My 4 spent 2 years on that case and when I took it out and removed the screen protector I could have sold it for new. It was dropped, smashed in my camelback and had a car door close on it . . . very solid case.

I now have it for the 5 and its the same case, however, it adds a SIGNIFICANT amount of bulk to the phone. Kinda ruins it for me. I was contemplating a Lifeproof case, but I hate cases that include a screen protector as part of the case. Not sure if you could cut it out or not.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I've had an Otterbox commuter since getting the iPhone 4 and now again for the iPhone 5. Its a tough, durable, sturdy case that does its job and does it well. Paired with the Power Authority screen protectors through the Apple store, its a great combo. My 4 spent 2 years on that case and when I took it out and removed the screen protector I could have sold it for new. It was dropped, smashed in my camelback and had a car door close on it . . . very solid case.

I now have it for the 5 and its the same case, however, it adds a SIGNIFICANT amount of bulk to the phone. Kinda ruins it for me. I was contemplating a Lifeproof case, but I hate cases that include a screen protector as part of the case. Not sure if you could cut it out or not.
    did you try lifeproof?

the screen protector that comes with it is WAAAAY better than otterbox defender.

it is actually very, very good... no need for anything else...

Always in the wrong gear
    The commuter is solid protection, at least for my iphone 4. Definitely worth the money and it's not as bulky as the defender model.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    did you try lifeproof?

the screen protector that comes with it is WAAAAY better than otterbox defender.

it is actually very, very good... no need for anything else...
    Never had a defender, only the commuter which does not include a screen protector (well it does, but it adheres directly to the phone and is not "part" of the case.

The reviews on the Lifeproof Fre have been . . . meh. Mostly degraded by the screen protector. Now, if I could CUT the screen protector OUT and continues to use my power support, I'm in 100%. Need to check the case out in person though to see it its possible. I do not care about waterproof.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

I Ride Bikes
    Lifeproof. Wins this thread.

I ride with my iphone in the lifeproof case on my arm. I bought the armband for it. I've fallen on it many times, got it caked in mud, I wash it down with a hose when I get back from riding, then I come on mtbr and post about how great the life proof case is from my iPhone. I've used it underwater too to take videos. My phone is still working and looks brand new when I do have to take it out of the case.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

\m/{-_-}\m/
    I have the Otter Box Commuter on my iPhone 5 and it's been a good case. No rubber outside like the Defender so it's less bulky and slides in and out of my pockets easier. I upgraded from a naked (no case) 3GS so the thinner, lighter weight 5 with a case feels about the same in my pocket.

ouch....
    Used to use a case, but just run commando now except for basic screen protector. Just don't like the extra bulk.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm using the RokForm case and their v3 Bike Mount to mount it on my bike. I like the various mounting options that the case allows - like mounting it on the dash of my car.

I checked out the Lifeproof case (which is a better case) but much prefer the RokForm mount to the Lifeproof mount.

My son has used the Ottorbox Defender case and he's pretty happy with it but it's too bulky for my taste.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    i've tried them all. otterbox is not bad but way too bulky and stick in the pocket...

the bestest case ever is Lifeproof. period.

waterproof, less bulky and looking better than otterbox.
    lifeproof looks pretty nice but only for iPhone. i need one for the gsIII.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    The otterbox case on my Desire is great. I have a defender. Had it over a year now and still love it. Finally scratched the otterbox screen a month ago and the glue around it dried a little, but still-ultimate phone saver. Couldn't ride without it. The otterbox on my friends phone, a Galaxy, went to crap quickly. Not sure why.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    I'm on my 4th Defender on my iPhone 4. I zip tied the holster to my stem for a quick easy hold that never gave up. I did have the phone pop out of the holster once, and ran it over on some single track. got it dirty, but the phone was fine. I usually end up tearing the silicon part of the case or cracking a corner of it. I'm not a fan of the newer style case. The one on my old 3g was awesome. I dropped it 4 stories accidentally and it never phased it. I'm looking at some of the new Mophie cases that add an external battery in a good case, but I haven't seen them in person yet.

Anyone know of a way to mount one to take video though? I'm not looking for super great quality, just something fun.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by NuckingFuts View Post

try the commuter, sounds like what you are looking for. screen protector is laminate and the plastic outer piece keeps the rubber from getting out of shape. not as bulky but it seems like it can take a hit, though if you plan on thrashing your $700 phone id look elsewhere.

\m/{-_-}\m/
    Quote Originally Posted by scottap2003 View Post
    I'm looking at some of the new Mophie cases that add an external battery in a good case, but I haven't seen them in person yet.
    I had the juice pack air on my 3gs for a bit. It was ok but it didn't offer screen protection and I felt like it wouldn't do much in a real drop. The charging connector broke off of it within a month or two and I quit using it.

They said I could ship it in for replacement under warranty but I didn't see enough value in it to worry about. I wouldn't get another one.

T.W.O.
    I'm on my 4th defender too, they are awesome, now my wife is on her iPhone5 defender case, so I have mine and a spare one for my 4s

Is not amused
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    i had a defender on my i 5 went for a ride with it in my jersey and it got a little dusty and a little moisture under the case. took it back to best buy. i picked up a lifeproof and loved the protection much better than defender BUT after 2 weeks of owning it i took it back because 1. people were having a hard time hearing me and me hearing them {sounded like i was underwater} 2. the screen protector stated to push the wrong button when i was texting and also it wouldn't let me hang up the phone. i also had to sometimes hit the same button 2-3 times for it to work. so i took it back and got the defender again and when i ride i put it in a zip top bag.

I Ride Bikes
    yeah it's hard to hear sometimes with my Lifeproof, but I'll trade that for it being waterproof. In my line of work it's nice to have a phone that really is waterproof/rainproof.

One time I was at a hotel pool and I just flew my iphone into the water. People around me were freaking out. Then I dove in, got it and started taking pics and vids of my kids playing in the pool. Having that kind of protection really is valuable. Plus I have some pretty neat memories and footage from that day. The next morning at the breakfast buffet some lady came up to me and said, "Hey you're that guy that threw his phone in the pool. How'd you do that?". So I showed her the case and she said she was going to buy one for her husband.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

squish, squish in da fish
    ^^^lol. lifeproof is the best IMO. 2 things should be made aware though, 1 as mentioned before hearing takes practice as for placement on your ear & 2, buy directly from a box store or lifeproof themselves. lots of fakes on amazon & egay. i'm on my second one and will always continue to buy them. oh another minor setback is the headphone adapter, but there is no way to make it waterproof if you didn't have it. many times i've forgot it on the trails & couldn't listen to music. thats why i just ordered qak thump headset