Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    That's it, You are now on suspension... when you come around to our way of thinking, you can come back....

Uh Oh! Busted by the thought Police!!! It'll never happen FB, altho I did used to support Maggie Thatcher in the 80s, so who knows...
    It's all Here. Now.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Im just surprised anyone is this worked up over reality show TV actors.

The show got amazing run on this pub. I find it hard to believe any of those shows are not scripted. There is no way a studio could actually afford to film boring normal life for a month straight to get a couple min of juicy footage. It would take them a year to compile one episode if the **** was real and not "pushed" while the cameras roll.

Honey boo boo? Snookie? Duck Dynasty? Clearly the ideal spokespersons of a social acceptance movement in America. Idiocracy may have nailed what the future holds far better than any Sci Fi movie.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    Im just surprised anyone is this worked up over reality show TV actors.

The show got amazing run on this pub. I find it hard to believe any of those shows are not scripted. There is no way a studio could actually afford to film boring normal life for a month straight to get a couple min of juicy footage. It would take them a year to compile one episode if the **** was real and not "pushed" while the cameras roll.

Honey boo boo? Snookie? Duck Dynasty? Clearly the ideal spokespersons of a social acceptance movement in America. Idiocracy may have nailed what the future holds far better than any Sci Fi movie.
    These shows are obviously staged. It's clear that scenes are staged and the actors, or subjects, meet and go over what is going to happen before hand. And still all these shows are by far the most boring things on TV but yet are the highest rated.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    The irony here is that everyone is getting all cranked up about some hillbillie and his own ideas on the gay lifestyle.

What would you expect from the guy? Expecting more is where everyone else went wrong. It's like getting mad at the dog for pooping on the lawn.
    Said hillbilly is also on a very popular TV show and a lot of people listen to what the dude has to say, for better or worse. Therefore supporters will speak out loudly in his favor, detractors just as much. Nothing ironic about that.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

I like bikes
    Have you ever seen the movie Deliverance?

I thought those hillbilly's WERE gay........
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Said hillbilly is also on a very popular TV show and a lot of people listen to what the dude has to say, for better or worse. Therefore supporters will speak out loudly in his favor, detractors just as much. Nothing ironic about that.
    Yup, Colbert nailed it -- this is really going to hurt DD's ratings when all the LGBT and black folks quit watching...

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    I think this says a lot about our society and it ain't good.
    What's wrong with laughing at ignorant rednecks? It would say much worse about society if we all respected them for their beliefs, this is just harmless TV, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    No trollin here, the point of this is that there are 2 sides to every story. As I said, he is entitled to his views, but I believe that this interpretation of 'Faith' is misguided. I strongly believe that forming ones views from a loose affiliation of borrowed stories: The "Scriptures", and especially from those he quotes, is a recipe for continued ignorance. Just my opinion for what it's worth.
    Yeah, but I love all my southern-redneck family and friends just the same, and I don't know a one of 'em who wouldn't agree entirely with Phil. Embarrassing sometimes, but what're ya gonna do? It's like Phil's take on Halloween -- he apparently doesn't cotton to it as a "pagan" holiday, yet has no problem celebrating Ishtar or the winter solstice... as long as he isn't hurting anyone with his beliefs I believe he's entitled to them, regardless of how ignorant.
    Denver Broncos: 101-3 since 1975 when scoring 30+ at home.

C.J. Anderson career YPC = 5.67

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    What would you expect from the guy? Expecting more is where everyone else went wrong. It's like getting mad at the dog for pooping on the lawn.
    I'm withholding judgment on this whole thing. Seems awfully fishy (ducky?) to me that A&E apparently had no idea that the stars of their show were ignorant, racist, mysogynistic, homophobic Southern Baptists until it came out in a GQ interview... only way I believe this whole kerfuffle isn't just a big publicity stunt is if they actually keep Phil off the show, which actually leads to his family quitting and the show going off the air.

If A&E really cared about their image as opposed to their ratings, they'd have made their stars sign some sort of contract enjoining them from giving such interviews... but then where would the controversies like this which drive ratings come from? I'll eat my words if Phil and/or the show aren't back again next season, until then, kudos to A&E's marketing department for the faux-outrage coup.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    I know better than to take anything on TV at face-value, but DD is my new favorite reality show (tied with Ice Road Truckers), doubt I would've watched (had to grab the torrents as I don't have TV in the first place) without all this publicity. I think most of the footage is spontaneous, with scripted filler shot later to tie stuff together as a coherent episode.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    FYI, this guy has said a lot worse things over the years. A&E had to know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    FYI, this guy has said a lot worse things over the years. A&E had to know.
    Exactly! Plus, every episode of the show their network has ever produced is full of gay-bashing... so shame on Phil!

mtbr member
    Freedom of speech only applies when you're off the clock, and when you are a celebrity talking to a reporter your are most definitely "punched in".

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    So can we expect to see the same treatment the next time we hear from a left leaning person bashing religion, comparing their beliefs to Nazi's? Will they be fired? And if they are fired, what will the resulting fire storm be?

I am with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmguy View Post
    So can we expect to see the same treatment the next time we hear from a left leaning person bashing religion, comparing their beliefs to Nazi's? Will they be fired? And if they are fired, what will the resulting fire storm be?
    Not because of the reason you mentioned but do you remember the treatment the Dixie Chicks got after voicing their opinion?

The problem for me is not the duck hunter believing and saying what he believes in,
    it is the people who have the need to make their own personal religious believes and such into laws effecting other people who think different.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmguy View Post
    OMG, you're right! Such the double standard:

Martin Bashir Resigns From MSNBC Following Palin Comment
    Alec Baldwin's MSNBC Show Canceled Following Gay Slur

Nothing more annoying than the conservative victim card being played...

mtbr member
    Phuk a duck… how dare them speak their mind.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Who's Phil Robertson and who's closet is he coming out of.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Progress: Just because we have always done it that way is no reason to keep doing it that way.

see me rollin, they hatin
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    +1

Political Correctness run a muck. If he were Muslim you have had no problem with what he said.

What every left leaning paper forgot mention "I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other"
    i say terrible things about all religions. i'm not sorry for it. The only reason i dont bash islam more openly, is i dont want to be blown up i think that's the fear of most people.

i dont have a problem with free speech...i have a problem with somebody taking an ancient book, and using that as some sort of "proof" to keep people down for an unchangeable sexual orientation. it's almost 2014. enough already! BTW, i'm not a super liberal or anything. i'm wayyy to politically incorrect for that. I just take issue with religion (which is OPINION, not FACT) being dragged into law. Silly silly. Now, if he could drop the bible stuff, i'd totally party with that guy
    fap

meow meow
    anyone surprised the religous, conservative, bearded, old, southern redneck is oppossed to gay marriage is an idiot.

AZ
    banned
    Well, seems ratings trump network convictions, A&E reinstated Mr. Duck.

A&E: 'Duck Dynasty' resuming 'with the entire Robertson family' - CNN.com

Meanwhile, there is a Civil War in Africa.

I didn't do it
    ^^That didn't take long but given that Duck Dynasty is on of A&E's highest rated shows it's inevitable. Funny it's labeled Breaking News on the website-now that's funny.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

I didn't do it
    What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
    Looks like DD got their ducks in a row.
    Phils is free as a bird now.
    Birds of a feather flock together.
    Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Fact is Phil never needed A&E, A&E needed Phil.

mtbr member
    So, when does Alec Baldwin get his show back?

mtbr member
    Yeah, movie stars make waaaay less money than duck hunters, but I agree Baldwin lacks the merchandising cachet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Good. Dude speaks his mind. I don't have to agree with it, or I don't have to express things the same way he does, or I can even think he's insensitive...but what I don't want is a bunch of liberal thought police deciding that if we watch a show about duck hunting, they have to be liberal duck hunters who love gay sex and support the democratic party platform.
    Now they'll find another baker that won't bake them a cake....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    but what I don't want is a bunch of liberal thought police deciding that if we watch a show about duck hunting, they have to be liberal duck hunters who love gay sex and support the democratic party platform.
    As a Liberal, I feel it important here to let any non-Liberals know exactly what we Libs expect from our duck hunting shows because there seems to be some confusion. I'm sure this is just a partial list. I'll have to check with Democratic Headquarters to be sure.

First, call the ducks in to shooting range, but don't actually shoot them. Just get 'em close, point and yell "bang". But don't really point an unloaded shotgun, because that's a symbol of oppression. Just have the hunters cup their hands and yell "bang". Let all those cute little duckies alone.

Second, no motors on boats. Don't waste our natural resources just to trick a duck into shooting range.

Third, no lectures at the end of the duck hunting episode about how God made this whole hunting show possible since we all know what made it possible is centuries of colonialism.

Fourth, lots of talk about gay sex. We just love the idea of it. We can't talk enough about gay sex. It has nothing to do with equal rights or anything. Nor is it any kind of turn on, at least for 9 out of 10 of us. We just love the gay sex because it's the main agenda of the Democratic Party platform.

Fifth, lots of funny bits about gender role reversals so we can demonstrate that not all families are traditional. We like our men more womanly and our women feminazis.

Last, we don't like it when people think for themselves. That attitude only helps white Christians. So we want our duck hunting shows to further our Liberal agendas of training all the children to love gay sex, and to keep all the people on entitlements because laziness is our natural state, and returning the good old USA to Mexico through illegal immigration.

Oh, we also like it when duck hunters make fun of that Lee Greenwood song.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 12-28-2013 at 12:29 AM.

High Desert MTBer
    It all went horribly wrong after the Sodom and Gomorrah episode...
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    It's all Here. Now.

see me rollin, they hatin
    would Phil Robertson be considered a bear in the gay community? there's a market for that.....
    fap

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB View Post
    would Phil Robertson be considered a bear in the gay community? there's a market for that.....
    He would be eaten alive
    It's all Here. Now.

banned
    Jan 2013
    He would be eaten alive
    What part first i wonder...

High Desert MTBer
    It gets better! PR's take on the perfect bride:

“Look, you wait ’til they get to be 20 years old, the only picking that’s going to take place is your pocket. You got to marry these girls when they are about 15 or 16. They’ll pick your ducks. You need to check with mom and dad about that, of course. Make sure that she can cook a meal… And make sure she carries her Bible. That’ll save you a lot of trouble down the road.”

The only surprise in all this is that presumably he can read, if he is quoting the scriptures so much.
    It's all Here. Now.

Ride More, Work Less

Phil Robertson out of the closet??!?

Once you get over the shock factor of what he said, it doesn't seem too shocking. That was what people did a generation or two ago; menarche signaled womanhood.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

AZ
    banned
    Weak troll.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    who cares what an actor has to say. It is not like, his comments will even affect anything. People get there panties in a bunch way to easy anymore.

Now what if this whole thing was to promote sales for duck dynasty. Think about it. Why in the hell would GQ magazine interview him? His comments came out a couple of weeks before Christmas. Lots of rural americans like the show. My guess is tshirts sales went thru the roof for Christmas. More people know about the show then ever before. wouldn't surprise me if A&E came up with this stunt.

remeber it is a scripted stupid tv show. and I am a rural American who loves to hunt,but can't stand the show.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    who cares what an actor has to say. It is not like, his comments will even affect anything. People get there panties in a bunch way to easy anymore.

Now what if this whole thing was to promote sales for duck dynasty. Think about it. Why in the hell would GQ magazine interview him? His comments came out a couple of weeks before Christmas. Lots of rural americans like the show. My guess is tshirts sales went thru the roof for Christmas. More people know about the show then ever before. wouldn't surprise me if A&E came up with this stunt.

remeber it is a scripted stupid tv show. and I am a rural American who loves to hunt,but can't stand the show.
    Interesting take, but sadly too many people do seem to take what he says seriously. His comments do echo and validate what many people believe, at least in their own limited imaginations.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I guess taking things to seriously is one of those things that does not discriminate.

mtbr member
    I guess taking things to seriously is one of those things that does not discriminate.

You took it seriously enough to give your opinion and try and sway anybody who will listen to you try and dumb it down.
    You are exactly whom the show is targeting.

mtbr member
    at least in their own limited imaginations.
    I imagined you bent over and him poking your cornhole.... I didn't like it, What's so wrong with that?

High Desert MTBer
    I imagined you bent over and him poking your cornhole.... I didn't like it, What's so wrong with that?

You mean you'd prefer if it was you? Have at it FB!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    You mean you'd prefer if it was you? Have at it FB!

See , this is what's wrong here. I have an opinion that you don't agree with and instead of being "tolerant" you just want to wash it away with 3rd grade psychology.

High Desert MTBer
    See , this is what's wrong here. I have an opinion that you don't agree with and instead of being "tolerant" you just want to wash it away with 3rd grade psychology.
    Actually FB you misread what I am saying. I am extremely tolerant, hence my stance on these issues. My comment was an attempt at 3rd Grade humor, whereas yours was the psychology. Being tolerant however, does not necessitate acceptance and inaction, but in my view is a measure of understanding.
    At the end of the day, I agree that everyone should be free to say what they feel, but I have to counter what I see as uninformed and ill-conceived comment based on spurious scriptures with my own take on things. That is not intolerance, but rather it is an attempt to add what I see as another valid opinion to the mix. I was brought up to believe in the sanctity of human and civil rights, that includes not just people's sexual preferences, but their colour, and the rights of women to not be farmed out in marriage at a young age to some predatory male. This is not just about whether we enjoy taking it up the cornhole or not, it goes a little further than that.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    fishbucket

actually home sick bored and just curious, where this tangent leads to. idle minds go to waste, and this show is waste.

Anchorage, AK

Re: Phil Robertson out of the closet??!?

Nothing wrong with being gay. There is something wrong with bring a closeted gay who deals with his self-hate by attacking non, closeted gays. My guess is that is where Mr. Robertson is in his life's journey. I pity him.

--Lars
    --Peace

mtbr member
    you misread what I am saying. .
    You are quite correct... thanks for clearing that up.
    Oh and I'm rubber, you're glue...

Happy and Prosperous New Year to ya.

mtbr member
    fishbucket

actually home sick bored and just curious, where this tangent leads to. idle minds go to waste, and this show is waste.
    I learned how to gut a frog, that it takes Google a long time to update their Sat image maps and do not try and vacuum up bees to get the honey...

That's hardly a waste.

High Desert MTBer
    Not ever having seen that show I cannot comment if it is garbage or not, but many idle minds seem to think not. As for gutting frogs, the closest I got was a rat in biology class when I was a kid. As for vacuuming up flying insects, I do have experience with this. When I was at boarding school in the UK many years ago, we had a wasp nest in the wall outside my window, and the little bastids were everywhere. We got an industrial vaccum, made up a big bowl of sticky liquid using honey, jam, and anything else we could find and put it inside the vaccum, then held the nozzle above the air brick they were using to get in and out of the nest. Hey presto! Wasp soup! Little boys are not very nice...
    It's all Here. Now.

I didn't do it
    Well son of a biatch, there's a theatrical musical about the Duck Dynasty dudes. Huh, who knew? Evidently it's not doing very well though. Not surprising, I wouldn't go. When it comes to the theater I'll stick to Cats, Les Miserables, etc. I guess they'll make anything into a musical these days.

?Duck Dynasty? Musical to Close Early in Las Vegas
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

gobsmacked Moderator
    You forgot the best musical of all: Book of Mormon.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    You forgot the best musical of all: Book of Mormon.
    I really want to see Book of Mormon. I'm a huge South Park fan and so this is right up my alley.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

gobsmacked Moderator
    It's so awesome a strap couldn't do it justice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12