Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    150

    People at US poverty level, TOP 16% of income earners in the world.

    I thought this was worth sharing. That the "poor" in the US is actually doing better then the "middle class" in other countries. And, that there really is no poverty in the United States. It kind of makes sense when you look at the homeless in the cities in the US and most of them are overweight.


    Pew Research: Being At the US Poverty Line Makes You In The Top 16% of All Human Beings

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,842
    Yeah, I've always found this interesting. Basically, we view our wealth relative to the people we aspire to be like and not in absolute terms.

    In real terms, none of us are poor. We are all very wealthy with small gaps in comfort levels between us compared to the world's genuine poor.

  3. #3
    mischeivous mongrel
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    22,214
    If that's the case, I need to become more wealthy, way more wealthy.
    Baby Gorns for sale $3799 each. Inquire within.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    If that's the case, I need to become more wealthy, way more wealthy.
    Or compare yourself to others way less?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Or compare yourself to others way less?
    The key to happiness is setting your expectations low enough.



    I ain't kidding.

  6. #6
    mischeivous mongrel
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    22,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Or compare yourself to others way less?
    I don't pay attention to anyone else. I just know what I want but I just can't afford everything.
    Baby Gorns for sale $3799 each. Inquire within.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: theMeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,430
    It's not so much where you are, and more where you're heading. Our middle class is disappearing, people below poverty line growing, and the rich are get richer. Pretty much worldwide.
    Unless you watch the news and are concerned over the confederate flag and which retard is running for office of figure head, then never mind.
    Round and round we go

  8. #8
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    23,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I don't pay attention to anyone else. I just know what I want but I just can't afford the high class call girls anymore.
    Bummer!
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  9. #9
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7,792
    Oh that's rich.

  10. #10
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    23,366
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Oh that's rich.
    Good timing on my part aye. Just as little miss bike on a girl shows up.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    258
    Surely the article took cost of living into account in their search for an inflammatory talking point.....anyways.....once word of this gets out it will be the end of threads complaining about the high cost of bikes and components!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    5
    >> once word of this gets out it will be the end of threads complaining about high cost of bikes and components! <<

    No, it won't. *****ers will ***** and haters will hate. 'Been that way throroughout history. Half of those who can't afford something will say "oh, well" and the other half will *****. Seems to be human nature. Few seem happy with what they have and can afford.

    That doesn't apply to me of course...(BS!).

  13. #13
    mischeivous mongrel
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    22,214
    What exactly is the middle class?

    Seems like you either have more money than you need, or you wish you had more money than you have.
    Baby Gorns for sale $3799 each. Inquire within.

  14. #14
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,778
    Since I live in the first world I could use a few more dollars.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

  15. #15
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7,792
    Middle is between upper and lower. Duh.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,107
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Middle is between upper and lower. Duh.
    That's what she said.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    What exactly is the middle class?



    Seems like you either have more money than you need, or you wish you had more money than you have.

    Um even when you have more money than you know what to do with, the second one still applies.
    Trek Marlin 29er

    Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

  18. #18
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    That's what she said.
    OMG, what a glorious return. Howdy SD!
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mark_BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    623
    You don't actually believe this, do you? Forbes is a right wing corporate shill website. What this article fails to mention is the millions and millions of Americans subsisting on government food stamps. I'm not sure about the actual statistics but it's like 50 million or something I think. Without this they would definitely be living in abject poverty like any starving African.

    The American middle class has been duped in the greatest scam in history. 99.9% has no idea what's going on and that their country's prosperity is entirely a result of a corrupt military regime that invades and topples all countries that fail to bend to servitude under the dollar empire. This means that goods flow into the US, and dollars flow out, fundamentally worthless dollars that are literally printed up by the trillion per month and just shoved on the rest of the world to force them all to support America's trade deficit. Soon that will end when physical gold and silver run out. They have been suppressing prices for decades using phony paper contracts because gold is the anti-dollar, and if gold goes up, it signals lack of confidence in the dollar. People around the world aren't stupid and the Chinese, Indians, Middle Easterners, and of course the odd Westerner who's in the know, have been stacking up gold and silver at these artificially cheap prices in anticipation of the day that they run out (current gold consumption is double mining production so it must be coming from central bank vaults that are now nearly dry). When that day comes gold will go no offer, price will spike multitudes, and silver may even be worth more than gold for a while. Then the dollar will hyperinflate, social chaos will ensue, and all those Jade Helm exercises the military has been practising will be used in the real world, against YOU. To survive you'll need: beans, bullets, and bullion. Also if you have any electronics you want you should build yourself a Faraday Cage to protect it from the inevitable EMP that goes off.

    The middle class' wealth has been stolen by a few ultra rich and powerful bankers and the media has been so effective at hiding this from them that some people actually go about posting on mountain biking websites about how good they have it. The bankers are laughing to the bank! Well you guys are all in for a big wake-up call, probably on September 13, plus or minus a week, as you see your trade deficit evaporate and you are forced to truly feel how poor you actually are.

    You have an RRSP or TFSA (if you are in Canada), or 401K (if in America)? Good luck retiring on that... good luck even cashing it in... it will be worth pennies in today's dollars anyways. It's all one gigantic 40-year ponzi scheme that is about to pop. Seriously, you believe that your, and everyone else's, savings can all grow exponentially forever in a finite world? You don't see a problem with this?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,037
    Gotta love ^^^. I know things are messed up but really. How many false dooms day prophecies are there every year. Idiots.....
    Trek Marlin 29er

    Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mark_BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    623
    But I explained how and why things have been propped up for so long. The numbers don't lie; you can't print gold and silver and when they run out there will be nothing the bankers can do to hide it anymore. Look for some major world conflict to brew in the next month or so, culminating around Sept 13 and used as cover to explain a major financial collapse and bank closures. It will probably be a fabricated attack by "Russian hackers" or Putin or something similar.

  22. #22
    Hi There!
    Reputation: thegweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    Look for some major world conflict to brew in the next month or so, culminating around Sept 13 and used as cover to explain a major financial collapse and bank closures. It will probably be a fabricated attack by "Russian hackers" or Putin or something similar.
    Mark the tape.
    NTFTC

  23. #23
    ****** to the dirt
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Urkel View Post
    I thought this was worth sharing. That the "poor" in the US is actually doing better then the "middle class" in other countries. And, that there really is no poverty in the United States. It kind of makes sense when you look at the homeless in the cities in the US and most of them are overweight.


    Pew Research: Being At the US Poverty Line Makes You In The Top 16% of All Human Beings
    Sorry but that is all relative to where one lives. Cost of living is different in different parts of the world and even in different cities. If you live in a city and can't afford rent, clothes and food you are still poor and live before poverty for ;that city. That article is just for the super rich to feel better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    http://thewoodgallery.blogspot.ca/

  24. #24
    mischeivous mongrel
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    22,214
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Middle is between upper and lower. Duh.
    Reported
    Baby Gorns for sale $3799 each. Inquire within.

  25. #25
    mischeivous mongrel
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    22,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    You don't actually believe this, do you? Forbes is a right wing corporate shill website. What this article fails to mention is the millions and millions of Americans subsisting on government food stamps. I'm not sure about the actual statistics but it's like 50 million or something I think. Without this they would definitely be living in abject poverty like any starving African.

    The American middle class has been duped in the greatest scam in history. 99.9% has no idea what's going on and that their country's prosperity is entirely a result of a corrupt military regime that invades and topples all countries that fail to bend to servitude under the dollar empire. This means that goods flow into the US, and dollars flow out, fundamentally worthless dollars that are literally printed up by the trillion per month and just shoved on the rest of the world to force them all to support America's trade deficit. Soon that will end when physical gold and silver run out. They have been suppressing prices for decades using phony paper contracts because gold is the anti-dollar, and if gold goes up, it signals lack of confidence in the dollar. People around the world aren't stupid and the Chinese, Indians, Middle Easterners, and of course the odd Westerner who's in the know, have been stacking up gold and silver at these artificially cheap prices in anticipation of the day that they run out (current gold consumption is double mining production so it must be coming from central bank vaults that are now nearly dry). When that day comes gold will go no offer, price will spike multitudes, and silver may even be worth more than gold for a while. Then the dollar will hyperinflate, social chaos will ensue, and all those Jade Helm exercises the military has been practising will be used in the real world, against YOU. To survive you'll need: beans, bullets, and bullion. Also if you have any electronics you want you should build yourself a Faraday Cage to protect it from the inevitable EMP that goes off.

    The middle class' wealth has been stolen by a few ultra rich and powerful bankers and the media has been so effective at hiding this from them that some people actually go about posting on mountain biking websites about how good they have it. The bankers are laughing to the bank! Well you guys are all in for a big wake-up call, probably on September 13, plus or minus a week, as you see your trade deficit evaporate and you are forced to truly feel how poor you actually are.

    You have an RRSP or TFSA (if you are in Canada), or 401K (if in America)? Good luck retiring on that... good luck even cashing it in... it will be worth pennies in today's dollars anyways. It's all one gigantic 40-year ponzi scheme that is about to pop. Seriously, you believe that your, and everyone else's, savings can all grow exponentially forever in a finite world? You don't see a problem with this?
    When money no longer holds any value, we will all become the same/equal. But the Govts will never let that happen because they do not want to lose power, so the lies will persist. The only way to fix the problem is for the entire planet to forgive all debt simultaneously and start over.
    Baby Gorns for sale $3799 each. Inquire within.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Are the Toughest People in the World Men?
    By mtbxplorer in forum Women's Lounge
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-21-2015, 10:58 AM
  2. Income Tax return...
    By jgutz71 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 02-06-2014, 03:13 PM
  3. New Source Of Income?
    By norton55 in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-27-2012, 07:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Can't find it? Just search our site!