Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mnoutain bkie rdier

One rule you would like changed in your favorite sport?

If you could change one rule in your favorite sport, what would it be?

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider

"Stroke and distance" for a golf ball struck out of bounds. It takes too much time to walk down to where the ball is only to find out that it is indeed OOBs, then you have to walk all the way back to where you originally struck the ball. Hate that rule. Just let us take two penalty strikes and play the ball from where it went OOB

sympathy for society
    I am no fan of any professional sports. So, i'd say that any and all athletes should ONLY get paid per play, whatever the sport is. To get paid $100 million to catch a football and run with it is a waste. My.02 cents. If players got paid per play the sports would be far more interesting. Also, we as a country could take all that extra money and do something productive with it.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

more carbon=more awesome
    Spec ECU's for all motogp bikes.

... and do away with the spec (Bridgestone) tire rule.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Spec ECU in MotoGP = manufacturers leaving.
    Rpm limit would cut cost/may make for better racing?
    I'm all for letting the single tire rule go away.
    Love me some motorcyle racing. A close GP race is an incredible spectacle.

Meatbomb
    Any rule other than 'flashing the plane for extra altitude'. That one should never go away.

official eMpTyBRain
    Salary caps!!!!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    UFC - Say goodbye to the downed fighter rule. It's now legal to soccer kick, knee, and stomp people when they're down. In other words, a return to the glory days of Pride Fighting Championships in Japan. Which was awesome.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Football would be much more interesting if the fields weren't so flat. Put some hills in those bad boys. Hell, maybe even a sand trap or two!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak View Post
    athletes should ONLY get paid per play,
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Salary caps!!!!
    No Salary at all !... Play for the love of the sport period.
    they still get all the benefits of sports medicine .. But No Money ! Work a second job if you want to pay the rent.

re member
    It would be cool in tennis if after every shot, every volley return, the net went up an inch. After a three minute volley, they would be launching huge lobs....
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

mtbr member

Get rid of the big face masks, giant helmets and all the pads in the NFL. I garantee all of concussions would go away. All of the huge debilitating hits would go away. The game would be much more interesting to watch.

NASCAR needs to back down on how tightly they control the cars. Let the teams work with the body aerodynamics. Let the teams seek out different tires than whatever Goodyear brings to the track. Get rid of the rear end gear rules. If a team thinks they can finish a race with their engine spinning over 10k rpm, let them try.
    No more restrictor plates on the super speedways. That right there will stop the pack driving and congo line racing that has plagued those tracks over the last few years. If the cars are not all bunched up in a tight pack, a wreck won't take out half the field.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Let them take all the dope they want.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I don't know that it counts as a rule, but college football really needs at least a 12 team playoff. What they have now is beyond stupid, and what the 4 team playoff they came up with ups the ante merely to the level of lame.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

I am not for eliminating pay altogether, but make sports a part time job with equivalent part time pay. Cuts the incentive to dope in the first place. But most importantly, I think it would greatly reduce the "superstar athlete" effect of pro athletes being morons because they have more money than they know how to handle and let it get to their heads.

Ticket prices would be more affordable.

Maybe the level of competition would not be so high since fewer players would be training full time, which would make room for more athletes to play and for there to be more teams and more local rivalries.

mtbr member

Re: One rule you would like changed in your favorite sport?

I am no fan of any professional sports. So, i'd say that any and all athletes should ONLY get paid per play, whatever the sport is. To get paid $100 million to catch a football and run with it is a waste. My.02 cents. If players got paid per play the sports would be far more interesting. Also, we as a country could take all that extra money and do something productive with it.
    And how do you expect to "take all that extra money?" And who "as a country" decides what productive is?

Players are paid what they are worth to the teams owners. If they aren't getting the money, the owners are, so what's the difference?

As for the original question, I'd pay college athletes a minimal stipend so we could do away with all the gift scandals and everything that goes along with it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I Ride Bikes
    Balls and Strikes in baseball will be decided by a computer.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    UFC - Say goodbye to the downed fighter rule. It's now legal to soccer kick, knee, and stomp people when they're down. In other words, a return to the glory days of Pride Fighting Championships in Japan. Which was awesome.

Cos I just love to watch 2 guys beating the crap out of each other, yippee!

As for MotoGP, the single ECU rule is just another in the long saga of debate over whether we try to reduce the dominance of one manufacturer. This has been going on since the beginning of the sport. It is tough to balance the need to pull in viewers and spectators, and to maintain the technological advances accelerated by this competition, which ultimately trickle down to the street for our benefit. The single tire rule, CRT rules, single ECU etc etc are all designed to try and level the playing field and make the sport more exciting to watch... (closer and with more jostling for position, and hence more danger). The big players have more money to spend on development and the best riders/engineers, which puts them ahead of the game. TV is a lot to blame for this need to see danger, we all look for a more instant gratification and TV gives us this. If we are watching a race that has big gaps between racers, there ain't a lot of excitement watching, we are then getting towards the F1 syndrome as I call it. Also on TV, you miss out on a lot of the action down the field, which is often more exciting to see.

I suggest going to races and watching in person... that is awesome! So I guess my rule change would be: Ban Television and make it law that everyone shall go to the live races...
    It's all Here. Now.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Team sports with individuals glory hogging for their own individual benefit would potentially suck.

"Pass the ball?, F**k you, I'm keeping it. Momma needs a new pair of shoes!"

"You want me to bunt and sacrifice my batting average so that dips**t on third base can score? F**k you!"

JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    Let them take all the dope they want.
    So, we can sign off on kids taking PED's? Gotta make that club team at 9 so they can make the high school team so they can get that college scholarship. Maybe even have a chance to make the pros.

Does that include Olympic athletes too? How would you know if a kid has the potential to compete with doped up pros unless you let them take them too? That's a slippery slope to step out onto when you look at the bigger picture. Once again, just my own perspective.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Strong
    Light
    Cheap
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    IMO Moto2 is better racing than MotoGP but I still watch both. I also think they should let there be more options for tires.

For football, I say get rid of all of the stupid protect the players penalties. As one who played defense I cannot believe the way that the NFL has neutered the defenses ability to tackle with power.

Also, I see no issue with athletes getting paid ridiculous amounts of money. If you are the best in the world at what you do, you should get paid lots for it. If you want to gripe about athletes making money, look at tiger woods. 78 million last year. Golf is freakin hard, but at least he doesn't have anyone trying to lay him out.

The owners on the other hand are making far more money and they rarely are as skilled.

Another rule I would like changed is Boxing... No more judges(beacause they are garbage). The fight must end with KO or TKO

sympathy for society
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    Team sports with individuals glory hogging for their own individual benefit would potentially suck.

"Pass the ball?, F**k you, I'm keeping it. Momma needs a new pair of shoes!"

"You want me to bunt and sacrifice my batting average so that dips**t on third base can score? F**k you!"

JMHO.
    Hmmm... very valid opinion. Never thought of it that way.. Okay, then the TEAM gets paid per point/score??? That would increase teamwork right?
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

sympathy for society
    [QUOTE=SRtahoe;10704184]And how do you expect to "take all that extra money?" And who "as a country" decides what productive is?

Players are paid what they are worth to the teams owners. If they aren't getting the money, the owners are, so what's the difference?[QUOTE]

Well, I was speaking in general as to the point these fools get paid way too much money for a game. As for the money and "as a country", I should have said that this country could use that money in more productive ways, one way or another. Hell, donate the money to painting bridges, it sure would get better use than giving it to an entitled cocky athlete that thinks his sh*t don't stink because he can run, catch or throw a ball. But again, I do not like professional sports so I would vote to get rid of them all together, but that's just me.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=sodak;10705642][QUOTE=SRtahoe;10704184]And how do you expect to "take all that extra money?" And who "as a country" decides what productive is?

Players are paid what they are worth to the teams owners. If they aren't getting the money, the owners are, so what's the difference?

Well, I was speaking in general as to the point these fools get paid way too much money for a game. As for the money and "as a country", I should have said that this country could use that money in more productive ways, one way or another. Hell, donate the money to painting bridges, it sure would get better use than giving it to an entitled cocky athlete that thinks his sh*t don't stink because he can run, catch or throw a ball. But again, I do not like professional sports so I would vote to get rid of them all together, but that's just me.
    Who do you think ultimately pays most of those player salaries? Thats right, the viewers. Last study I saw showed that 64% of Americans watch NFL. Most of America thinks they are worth that much money. Actors also get paid ridiculous amounts of money to act like someone.

If you can do something that people are willing to pay to watch, you are worth getting paid that exact amount.

personally I think our government wastes far more money than all NFL player combined, but that is another OT subject.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMacMan View Post
    "Stroke and distance" for a golf ball struck out of bounds. It takes too much time to walk down to where the ball is only to find out that it is indeed OOBs, then you have to walk all the way back to where you originally struck the ball. Hate that rule. Just let us take two penalty strikes and play the ball from where it went OOB
    Yep, I hate that one. Also penalty from ball move at rest on the green, anywhere actually. If it move by accident, wind and what not, just replace the ball back to its original position. Also no lifesaver candy on golf courses, too many cheaters

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast