Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator

OK ya buncha knuckleheads....what the hell is going on?!

Seriously - what has gotten into everyone? I have to go away for a bit and all kinds of shenaniganery occur.....

I am sorry that 'rep' got fiddled with - it is a system that needs tuning...

I am sorry that Hutch caught a time-out - but he did go a little haywire with the thread bumps...he'll be back in the game soon enough.

The OC is a tight knit and unique forum. It is fun, irreverent and rowdy....and has the most *personality* on MTBR (IMO).

BUT other forums here have their own vibe....and what is acceptable here in the OC may not be OK in another forum.

Think of MTB as a community. The OC is the Animal House of MTBR....a place to ride you bike inside, slap your buddy with a fish, or engage in an ultimate game of nude beer pong ....

In other forums you may be expected to use a coaster, drink wine and discuss the virtues of polishing your nipples (spoke that is) listening to Michael Bolton....

You wouldn't go to your buddies house wearing muddy shoes blowing snot rockets in the corner demanding a back rub would ya?

All I am asking is please respect the vibe of other forums..

thanks for listening
    - CHUM
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    . . . You wouldn't go to your buddies house wearing muddy shoes blowing snot rockets in the corner demanding a back rub would ya? - CHUM
    When I go to 'Hawg's house? Yes . . . yes I do.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Ride More, Whine Less
    Best I can tell, the OC is a collection of some very interesting people that share a love for the sport. It is a great culture, one that seems far more supportive than the real MTBR world.

What is going on? I think people have responded very visibly to what appeared as a personal attack on the culture here. It felt like we were being called to the principal's office for doing something wrong--something like studying too hard or making too high of grades.

Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Best I can tell, the OC is a collection of some very interesting people that share a love for the sport. It is a great culture, one that seems far more supportive than the real MTBR world.

What is going on? I think people have responded very visibly to what appeared as a personal attack on the culture here. It felt like we were being called to the principal's office for doing something wrong--something like studying too hard or making too high of grades.
    The culture here in the OC is freaking great

The OC's culture in other forums is not so freaking great...

When multiple 'heavy-hitters' from the OC enter a thread because some noob says something noob'ish it can be pretty intimidating...as an example.

Catch my drift?

b a n n e d
    I know to what you are referencing, Chum. In general, I'd say that MTBR is actually a pretty "civil" place (outside of OC). Especially as compared to some of the automotive forums, which to be honest are downright hostile.

I think the point is to keep the attitude of OC actually IN OC.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

see me rollin, they hatin
    Hey Chum, can you post some pics of yourself? i've always found you worthy of swoonage

As for being rowdy in the other forums. i suppose i'm guilty, but they never seemed to mind! was there an "incident" you are referring to?
    fap

Wēk Ss
    I'm a noob. I'm offended. Time outs for everybody!

TBH, I'm not really sure what you're talking about. I think I missed some amusing flame fests, did catch the mongoose one though.

/me infrequent lurker.

OC seems civil to me whenever I pop in.

Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    ...I think the point is to keep the attitude of OC actually IN OC.
    hard to argue when you're right

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    Hey Chum, can you post some pics of yourself? i've always found you worthy of swoonage

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    As for being rowdy in the other forums. i suppose i'm guilty, but they never seemed to mind! was there an "incident" you are referring to?
    there are quite a few - but this is not going to be a 'point finger at people' thread...

and yes Nicole - no one minds if you get rowdy (rawr)

Trail Prospector
    While I cannot speak for the collective Cat Herd, IMHO the OC has become the dumping ground for many of the butthurt, and socially challenged. Appears that after crossing the line to get beat up in the regular bike forums they then enter the OC with an attitude and an axe to grind.

Instead of the mods interjecting to enforce basic forum rules, it MAY be that we are trying to eject these azzhats from ruining the OC spirit. Since it appears the admin no longer regards, or respects the OC participants, [as evidenced by the as of yet unexplained re-assignment, and eliminating rep earned] then why the heck should we care?

Fact is we do. And by allowing a few butthurt azzhats to continually post hateful, controversial, or politically charged topics in the OC is more than some can stomach. If I'm not mistaken, this was the creative approach used to bump old threads and remove the current flock of nasty's.

(Just saying, this may be why, so many ask that a certain OC member be set free.)
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

Ride More, Whine Less
    I think I have nearly given up on many of the other forums here. This is due to my perception of the lack of practicality in much of the discussions.

If people simply used some independent judgment and common sense, half of the posts would go away. Then, throw in a little experimentation and time trying different things, half of the remaining posts would be gone too. That would leave the meat of the forums, and of course, it would all be contained in the OC

see me rollin, they hatin
    well gee Chum i'd rep ya but seems im out of rep after repping, like 3 peeps today.
    fap

check your six
    There's been a bunch of Tom Foolery round these parts as of late... Just rinsing the slate clean. well, tried too.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I understand what you are saying as it relates to etiquette, I'm unsure the OC is the only place where ranks are broke in that context.

In terms of intimidation I have also seen multiple OC frequenters come to the defense of others. In this reguard one way to tune the rep system is to consider that no rep system equals no heavy hitters.

Now can you post those pics for Nicole so we can cross post them all over the boards.

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    While I cannot speak for the collective Cat Herd, IMHO the OC has become the dumping ground for many of the butthurt, and socially challenged. Appears that after crossing the line to get beat up in the regular bike forums they then enter the OC with an attitude and an axe to grind.

Instead of the mods interjecting to enforce basic forum rules, it MAY be that we are trying to eject these azzhats from ruining the OC spirit. Since it appears the admin no longer regards, or respects the OC participants, [as evidenced by the as of yet unexplained re-assignment, and eliminating rep earned] then why the heck should we care?

Fact is we do. And by allowing a few butthurt azzhats to continually post hateful, controversial, or politically charged topics in the OC is more than some can stomach. If I'm not mistaken, this was the creative approach used to bump old threads and remove the current flock of nasty's.

(Just saying, this may be why, so many ask that a certain OC member be set free.)
    This is I believe the correct answer.

I am a noob here and haven't been here long but I joined because most every one got along even if the had a difference of opinion, a rare place among other forums.

The past few weeks some have come in here and started a few controversial threads. When said threads got locked down they (said poster who started said thread) then when on to other threads asking why the are not being locked down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post

Got ya - I'll pay closer attention to the rabble-rousers (politically charged topics) and address those quickly.

Pertaining to the Admins who don't care - that 's a bunch of malarkey. The rep system was/is in dire need of tuning.

It's the Admins who take on the brunt of the maintenance for the site - it's not easy...and it's thankless....

So...now that I'm gonna be a meanieMod and start kicking the ornery users in the taco can we stop the Thread Bumping please?

re member
    And now, another random ABBA video.

Rocktoberfest 2014 edit here
    Rocktoberfest 2014 clips here

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I know to what you are referencing, Chum. In general, I'd say that MTBR is actually a pretty "civil" place (outside of OC). Especially as compared to some of the automotive forums, which to be honest are downright hostile.
    Corner Carvers comes to mind, although I love that place.

mtbr member
    this is why i like the oc. it's like hangin out at your cool uncle's house..but he still knows your mom.
    always face the herd

removing nudity

Think of MTB as a community. The OC is the Animal House of MTBR....a place to ride you bike inside, slap your buddy with a fish, or engage in an ultimate game of nude beer pong ....

thanks for listening
    - CHUM
    Pics or it didn't happen Chum. Does this mean we are allowed nudity in the animal house now?

removing nudity
    BTW, thanks OC'ers. You rock, I can't believe it took me nearly 4 years to find you.

mtbr member
    The OC is the Animal House of MTBR

'11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen Chum. Does this mean we are allowed nudity in the animal house now?

careful - there are nude pics of me MTB'ing....what is seen cannot be unseen...

and no (for crisake) no nude pics in the OC...

jeebus...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Seriously - what has gotten into everyone?

- CHUM
    Too much holiday cheer - other people sleep off the hangover.
    We just finished all the booze in the cellar and are a bit put out by sobriety.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

AZ
    banned
    We just want our ten reps a day returned. The tactic has backfired, instead of us giving out reps in the community at large we are hoarding our five a day. This is counter to what the admin was trying to accomplish no? Heck, the low rep guys will never have a chance of catching up unless the high rep guys help. Please consider restoring us to ten a day, the doubling the required points has slowed things to a crawl which I believe was the intent. Win/Win. Respectfully, AZ.

mtbr member
    Well CHUM since you opened this up for debate a few thoughts
    Creating oc and locking the recycling bin was imo a mistake. Think it puts the bs, off topic, and personality threads more mainstream and makes it legit. Think just about anyone wouldn't feel so proud and or self righteous when jumping in the dumpster to mix things up. Just keeps the shananagins at bay and somewhat in their place without having to ban or reprimand. Which leads me to my next point.

Think people should get timed out and banned more often but for being d!ckheads or nasty, not for doing something like bumping old threads in the name of fun. i don't know all the details and don't want to, but in this case I think a pm would have done the trick. If wasting bandwidth was the reason, than whoever gave him time out should be timed out too, because of all the threads that were created to save him. Seems fair, and also seems that random, sudden, and sorta outa left field acts like that have, can and will effect the mood or feel of this place. Which brings me to my next point.

While a could hardly care about the rep system and think in many ways it should go away, I'm not gonna go there, aside to say that it has become obvious that some hang some worth on it. So think it was a bad decision to just wham, change it, then sorta, hardly be open to ideas or discussion, then wham change it again. Like the hutch thing i just don't get it. Do you guys like making work for yourselves? Why not at least post up the new rules/guidlines by which rep is calculated so it seems fair again?
    My .03
    Round and round we go

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast