Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    The site owners have taken our suggestions under consideration, now we need to let this be. I predict perma bans if this continues. Take that for whatever you think it is worth.
    Listen to this man, just let everything marinade for awhile, let things slow down, await the return of Hutch and just stop worrying.
    Try this: HTFU

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    So...if you were in my shoes what would you do?
    CHUM, give the Upper Admins an ultimatum....

Say this:

"Dismantle and discontinue using the rep system or I will resign from my position and disassociate myself from MTBR. Clearly, it is causing irritation felt equally across the board. Take away the possession, and the possessive personality is minimized or it disappears all together. While we cannot remove all of the pressure, we can minimize most of it."

Otherwise CHUM, this is only going to get worse. Isn't that obvious? You enjoying this BS? I really doubt it... I'm sure not.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post

Say this:

"Dismantle and discontinue using the rep system or I will resign from my position and disassociate myself from MTBR. Clearly, it is causing irritation felt equally across the board. Take away the possession, and the possessive personality is minimized or it disappears all together. While we cannot remove all of the pressure, we can minimize most of it."

Otherwise CHUM, this is only going to get worse. Isn't that obvious? You enjoying this BS? I really doubt it... I'm sure not.

Uhmmm don't believe we hold a bargaining position. Just sayin.

workin' it Administrator

Say this:

While I agree with this, the only place it is really causing any irritation is in this thread and with the super's (and me) who have to deal with it. The rest of MTBR goes on not really caring. That is the point.

It isn't that big of a deal to any but a minority. Bumped threads were responded to by members in forums and they didn't notice they were from 2004. Others responded in kind and some mentioned something about zombie threads but then others commented once again. No one really cared. No one reported it.

This is strictly an OC issue. If rep goes away, a large percentage of the users wouldn't care, heck they wouldn't even notice it. Many users have never tried to post in the OC as they are still figuring out their bikes, rides, trails, etc.

Spammers will still spam, trolls will still troll. This isn't that big, nor is it as big as other issues in the past, which came and went with dramatic admonitions and MTBR is still here, forums keep on and people on a whole come and get a lot of valuable insight into bikes, gear and trails.

Let's not blow this out of proportion. MTBR wouldn't die without CHUM as a moderator nor me or even shiggy. It wouldn't die without the OC forum, heck it didn't die without the POSER forum which was prophesied by the proponents of that forum.
    Try this: HTFU

I really don't see why all of you are throwing fits in here over changes to rep and whatnot.

Drama!

Meh. That is what I say. If rep is left here, whatever. If it gets more fundamental changes, whatever. If those changes piss some people off who throw more fits and get themselves banned, whatever. If nothing changes, whatever.

I will still ride my bikes and I will still want to talk about bikes. I can goof off in other places if this one goes away. It really doesn't matter to me. I am getting annoyed coming into OC and seeing a bunch of whining.

You likely won't see me posting in here much until the whining gets replaced by more fun threads.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    While I agree with this, the only place it is really causing any irritation is in this thread and with the super's (and me) who have to deal with it. The rest of MTBR goes on not really caring. That is the point.

This is strictly an OC issue. If rep goes away, a large percentage of the users wouldn't care, heck they wouldn't even notice it.
    Good words, but listen to them. If the rest of the site isn't going to care one way or the other, I take that as a "why have it at all, then?", and if it's the OCers who have the biggest problem with it, all the more reason to drop it all together.

You've clearly spelled it out in your own words. Now, get the powers that be to see the light. Push them, and push them hard.

I've said my peace, now I will bow out and let you get back to your business. Thank you for listening, thank you for all that you guys do here. It is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Some of you guys really take this forum stuff too seriously. Listening to some of you is akin to hearing a shareholders meeting to discuss a failing company.

It's super simple to understand. I rarely post in the OC, but when I have lurked, it was obvious that some of you were trying to manipulate rep power towards certain people as like a "private club" or something. Hope I'm not pissing anyone off. I contribute often here in Tooltime, the 29er forum, wheels, beginners, etc. When I do lurk over here it almost seems like a seperate place altogether. Can be a little bit off-putting or even intimidating to a newb I suspect.
    Come out from your Off Camber compound and share some of your mountain biking knowledge with members in other forums.

Cow Clicker
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    The site owners have taken our suggestions under consideration, now we need to let this be. I predict perma bans if this continues. Take that for whatever you think it is worth.
    eventually it is going to come down to exactly this...

what is going to change for the better if we lose CHUM as mod. we may get another mod who will not lend us an ear and will follow the rules to the dot. that'd mean a lot of involuntary vacations and lead to much worse compared to what we have now..

owners will do whatever they feel fit. CHUM can not do much, except offer us his view on the situation. he does not have to pass our concerns to owners - they can read it themselves.

why are CHUM or rock doing this for free? because they have fun doing it and are trying to make this site as best as possible... as rock pointed out - this site will exist without anyone in this thread... that is a true story... let's be thankful to our two mods for lending us their ears and not swinging the hatchet....

let's let it be as AZ suggested but i will pose a question to OC gang...

if you were given two options:

1. 10 reps - but no neg rep ability
    2. 5 reps total including neg reps

what would you choose?
    Last edited by osokolo; 01-08-2013 at 09:40 PM.
    Signature

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post

It isn't that big of a deal to any but a minority. Bumped threads were responded to by members in forums and they didn't notice they were from 2004. Others responded in kind and some mentioned something about zombie threads but then others commented once again. No one really cared. No one reported it.

This is strictly an OC issue. If rep goes away, a large percentage of the users wouldn't care, heck they wouldn't even notice it. Many users have never tried to post in the OC as they are still figuring out their bikes, rides, trails, etc.

Spammers will still spam, trolls will still troll. This isn't that big, nor is it as big as other issues in the past, which came and went with dramatic admonitions and MTBR is still here, forums keep on and people on a whole come and get a lot of valuable insight into bikes, gear and trails.

Let's not blow this out of proportion. MTBR wouldn't die without CHUM as a moderator nor me or even shiggy. It wouldn't die without the OC forum, heck it didn't die without the POSER forum which was prophesied by the proponents of that forum.

There's a Poser forum... man this place is getting more and more embarrassing by the day.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    eventually it is going to come down to exactly this...

what is going to change for the better if we lose CHUM as mod. we may get another mod who will not lend us an ear and will follow the rules to the dot. that'd mean a lot of involuntary vacations and lead to much worse compared to what we have now..

owners will do whatever they feel fit. CHUM can not do much, except offer us his view on the situation. he does not have to pass our concerns to owners - they can read it themselves.

why are CHUM or rock doing this for free? because they have fun doing it and are trying to make this site as best as possible... as rock pointed out - this site will exist without anyone in this thread... that is a true story... let's be thankful to our two mods for lending us their ears and not swinging the hatchet....

let's let it be as AZ suggested but i will pose a question to Tone's and the rest of the gang...

what would you choose?
    Why are you singling me out, ive stated twice we should take a breath and let this issue lie, and thats what i will be doing.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Why are you singling me out, ive stated twice we should take a breath and let this issue lie, and thats what i will be doing.
    i am not singling you out. i am sorry if it came across that way bro. you are just as passionate about this subject as anyone else - and you should know by now - i call you out for fun on more than few occasions. see - this situation affects how you read in this case my post... it is not negative bro.

i don't want to lose this place. with or without rep - we are still the same fun people and that is the reason i am still around here. we had fun without rep. we had fun with rep. we can have fun with or without the rep - can we not. we are losing our sleep over things that are above our pay grade... whatever owners decide - we should still have fun...

sure - things could have been done differently, with more transparency. but things were done and it is what it is. we can adjust to anything and keep having fun... don't really understand all the negative buzz all of a sudden, like we are around here ONLY to collect as much rep as we can. i love being repped for fun and/or informative posts. everyone does.

but i love even more - having fun with all of you guys. with or without rep - let's not lose that...
    Signature

Retired User
    I have been advised by "_" that "locked [space][hyphen][space]time out" is a prohibited custom user title. Jesus H Christ this place is getting lame.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    Some of you guys really take this forum stuff too seriously. Listening to some of you is akin to hearing a shareholders meeting to discuss a failing company.

It's super simple to understand. I rarely post in the OC, but when I have lurked, it was obvious that some of you were trying to manipulate rep power towards certain people as like a "private club" or something. Hope I'm not pissing anyone off. I contribute often here in Tooltime, the 29er forum, wheels, beginners, etc. When I do lurk over here it almost seems like a seperate place altogether. Can be a little bit off-putting or even intimidating to a newb I suspect.
    Come out from your Off Camber compound and share some of your mountain biking knowledge with members in other forums.
    We do share outside. I'm certainly no master mind in mountain biking, it's more of a tool to stay healthy, to get away from the rat race, and to enjoy the scenery. Knowing all there is to know about this activity doesn't make me a better human, IMO. Too serious for me. So, I'm far more likely to look for help than to offer it, but I give what I can when I can. Plus, there is at least one thread in here to share bike stuff when we want to, in a more relaxed atmosphere and you will not see any arguing about it, either. So, OC is the place to go to get away from all the seriousness and just goof off for some stress relief. In here, we share wit. Is that really such a bad thing?

Anyway, peace out Brother!.

official eMpTyBRain

what would you choose?
    Oso, the only correct answer for me would be:

3. Discontinue the use of a "rep system" all together.

Sorry, but that's how strongly I feel about it and I don't want to talk about it any more so I am going to unsubscribe to this thread....or just lurk. Don't want to fuel the fire any further.

i am not singling you out. i am sorry if it came across that way bro. you are just as passionate about this subject as anyone else - and you should know by now - i call you out for fun on more than few occasions. see - this situation affects how you read in this case my post... it is not negative bro.

i don't want to lose this place. with or without rep - we are still the same fun people and that is the reason i am still around here. we had fun without rep. we had fun with rep. we can have fun with or without the rep - can we not. we are losing our sleep over things that are above our pay grade... whatever owners decide - we should still have fun...

sure - things could have been done differently, with more transparency. but things were done and it is what it is. we can adjust to anything and keep having fun... don't really understand all the negative buzz all of a sudden, like we are around here ONLY to collect as much rep as we can. i love being repped for fun and/or informative posts. everyone does.

but i love even more - having fun with all of you guys. with or without rep - let's not lose that...
    Cheers Oso, I came here to start for the bikes, but its the great quality of people here that have kept me here, some say this is just a website, but its more than that for me and i would guess many others here.

Its a community, a place to come and share ideas, exchange cultures, talk bikes, make friends in other parts of the world, share cheeky banter, and most importantly for me the ability to laugh and if im real lucky make somebody else laugh, if i can do that once a day its something that means a lot to me.

So regardless of anything issues in this thread your right, its the things you and i have pointed out above that really mean something, those things will stay the same, this is a special community that we all contribute a lil something special too, and thats the most important thing, all the rest is unimportant in comparison to that.

Cheers Oso, its all about the love, and ive got my eye on you,..

sock puppet
    Oso, the only correct answer for me would be:

3. Discontinue the use of a "rep system" all together.

Sorry, but that's how strongly I feel about it and I don't want to talk about it any more so I am going to unsubscribe to this thread....or just lurk. Don't want to fuel the fire any further.
    thanks 'hawg - i'd take anything - just to go back to fun OC times...
    i think i will follow your footprints - out of this thread... lurker status...
    Signature

mtbr member
    We do share outside. I'm certainly no master mind in mountain biking, it's more of a tool to stay healthy, to get away from the rat race, and to enjoy the scenery. Knowing all there is to know about this activity doesn't make me a better human, IMO. Too serious for me. So, I'm far more likely to look for help than to offer it, but I give what I can when I can. Plus, there is at least one thread in here to share bike stuff when we want to, in a more relaxed atmosphere and you will not see any arguing about it, either. So, OC is the place to go to get away from all the seriousness and just goof off for some stress relief. In here, we share wit. Is that really such a bad thing?

Anyway, peace out Brother!.
    No hard feelings man, and I wasn't being specific about members. I checked this place out a bit a few months ago and there were several "Rep Spreading" threads. Thats all I meant. For a member who does most of their posting outside the lounge that is the OC, taking a visit here back then would probably seem like it was "cliqueish". Ya know? I sure in the hell don't want to get in an argument over fork travel with a guy that has 200 rep points......know what I mean? I'm certain that super high rep count members can be intimidating to some. Furthermore, I totally agree about being too serious or too technical all the time. Takes the fun out of our wonderful sport. I love mountain biking, I work in a shop, and I love this forum. I think I might hang around here a bit more and get a true feel for you guys.........Peace.

Cow Clicker
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

sock puppet
    Cheers Oso, I came here to start for the bikes, but its the great quality of people here that have kept me here, some say this is just a website, but its more than that for me and i would guess many others here.

Its a community, a place to come and share ideas, exchange cultures, talk bikes, make friends in other parts of the world, share cheeky banter, and most importantly for me the ability to laugh and if im real lucky make somebody else laugh, if i can do that once a day its something that means a lot to me.

So regardless of anything issues in this thread your right, its the things you and i have pointed out above that really mean something, those things will stay the same, this is a special community that we all contribute a lil something special too, and thats the most important thing, all the rest is unimportant in comparison to that.

i just said i'd get out of this thread - but feel i have to break my commitment just to thank you for a nice heartfelt post.

that is what OC gang is about... WIN

Signature

parenting for gnarness
    i just said i'd get out of this thread - but feel i have to break my commitment just to thank you for a nice heartfelt post.

that is what OC gang is about... WIN

i haven't cried like this since Titanic

help with the zip please

Damn, does that mean I have to give you the Bigfoot costume back? Better see if I can get that protien stain out.

Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    Damn, does that mean I have to give you the Bigfoot costume back? Better see if I can get that protien stain out.
    Please Emu, im not ready to come out as a furry yet on MTBR, and nor should you be....
    Thats secret mens business...

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    A new user wouldn't have the same rep score as a vet, the weight of ones post would be backed by years of positive contributions reflected in a score accumulated by many good posts.

If my suggestion is a poor compromise then I am at a loss as to how the rep system can better serve us. I agree the system is flawed, if we are at a loss as to how to fix it then there is no easy answer and we ought to accept it for what it is and not expect the admins to fare any better with this quandary.
    I misinterpreted your idea. I see what you are saying now, but everyone would have the same positive rep power if they supported a post. A users rep would be the total of what was received, but there would still be people "hoarding" rep and rep threads. This idea, to me, is very similar to just not having neg rep. AZ, I, and a new member would just have the "same" power if we liked a post, but all of our rep scores would vary.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I misinterpreted your idea. I see what you are saying now, but everyone would have the same positive rep power if they supported a post. A users rep would be the total of what was received, but there would still be people "hoarding" rep and rep threads. This idea, to me, is very similar to just not having neg rep. AZ, I, and a new member would just have the "same" power if we liked a post, but all of our rep scores would vary.
    That's correct and I admit far from perfect, yet acompromise. Repeated reps within groups would occur but rep scores would cease to grow exponentially, which seems to be the concern that inspired the recent changes. Neg rep would better be utilized as a filtering tool and pos rep would serve to make quality posts quickly identifiable.

Really I don't have a strong opinion about what to do, I am just trying to be constructive and show how difficult it is to appease the masses while doing so. If any changes are to be considered I just want whatever will make it easier to get to the good stuff and have more of it.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast