Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 293
  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation: theMeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    What he is saying, is that the value to the owners of MTBR, is the members.
    In short is a deal between the members and the owners, that the owners supply a reasonable environment that keeps the contributing members reasonably happy, and the members supply the content.

    Once the owners fail to offer a reasonable environment, that keeps the contributing members reasonably happy, the content suffers, which is bad business for the owners.

    So to spell it out, the owners are dependent on the members, and once they fail to see that, things goes downhill real quick.
    What we have seen here in the last couple of weeks, is a prime example of just that.


    Magura
    yup, I get it, just sayin, and yup, thank for Sharin Randy
    Round and round we go

  2. #102
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    the idea is that rep attracts more activity then would be without it.


    .....

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation: theMeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    I've read that before but I am unclear how Rep creates content unless the idea is that rep attracts more activity then would be without it.
    Yup, if I may AZ. It keeps people coming back and gives them something personal they can try and control. Don't think it works?, just look at how many members went a bit ape sh!t when mtbr changed it some.
    Round and round we go

  4. #104
    Registered text offender
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,137
    I have no problem with folks creating wealth and believe this site and others like it are a positive way to do it. I like the term profiteering conveying a sense that this place is some evil empire, I doubt anyone is getting taken advantage of while getting filthy rich in the process.

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bethany1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    712
    There's no such thing as free internet/information. I pay 65 bucks a month for the privilege of being online. At least the ads on here are relevant to the site which is more than I can say about other forums I've been on.

  6. #106
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,685
    Quote Originally Posted by banonymous View Post
    If that is true then whole ideology behind the internet and "free information" gets broken down, and it becomes a myth. ...not that there is anything wrong with that. Just be honest about it.
    Absolutely. That myth died with the first ad or request for a donation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  7. #107
    Registered text offender
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    .....
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Yup, if I may AZ. It keeps people coming back and gives them something personal they can try and control. Don't think it works?, just look at how many members went a bit ape sh!t when mtbr changed it some.
    Thanks fellas, obviously there are things about sociology and market analysis of which I am blissfully ignorant.

    The question still remains for me how the rep system is mutually beneficial. It generates more activity and thus profit, but how does it positively affect users any more so than it produces strife amongst us?

    Again, I'm not making a statement.

  8. #108
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post
    There's no such thing as free internet/information. I pay 65 bucks a month for the privilege of being online. At least the ads on here are relevant to the site which is more than I can say about other forums I've been on.



    That idea went out the window when Al Gore sold the internet to Al-Jazzera.

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    I've read that before but I am unclear how Rep creates content unless the idea is that rep attracts more activity then would be without it.
    How many threads have been started about rep? Atleast a hundred. And thousands of posts in those threads. That's content that did not exist without the rep system.

    I think the real intent is to give more legitimacy to the website. Those that contribute with high quality content should have a higher rep level. This lets visitors and newbies know who they can trust. Lower quality content should be ignored, not +repped, and allowed to move off the front page.
    Through this, several objectives can be attained:
    The overall content of the forum should improve.
    Forum members encourage quality posts through +reps. This teaches new members what they should be posting and what they shouldn't.
    Visitors get better content and more of them register.
    Higher visitor and registered user numbers go up, attracting advertisers.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  10. #110
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,657
    I personally believe that off topic forums like Off Camber should be exempt from post counts and reps. That way, only posts that actually contribute to primary content of the forum affect users reputation on the forum.
    One other forum I am a member of uses post counts to build a member rating system. Too many members simply padded their post counts in the Off Topic forum and never posted any quality content in the other forums. The admins stopped counting Off Topic posts and the boards overall quality improved greatly.
    Off Camber is a place of fun, games and entertainment. You will never hear me say get rid of it. But if posts in Off Camber were not rep-able, the whole forum would be better for it, IMHO.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  11. #111
    banned
    Reputation: marpilli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,993
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    And just so ya know - the Admins and site owners do care...they are just trying to find balance on a HUGE forum in a timely fashion to solve a potential problem before it sets in so deep it can't be 'fixed'....
    So, is it fixed now? Or, are they still working on it?

    Who are the site owners and admins that do care? Why do they not come in and participate in this thread if this is an important topic to them?

    Look in the OC on any given day and you'll see hundreds (if not thousands) of lurkers. They're not here by mistake. Most likely a google search pulled up a link in the OC. Why? Because just about every topic imaginable has been discussed here in less than a year. All of these lurkers exposed to MTBR from a search hit equals more money for MTBR (ad revenue).

    My opinion of what happened to the rep system: When the anonymity was removed, those who were true hateful trolls (you know who they are) were exposed and justly retaliated against. Some of these trolls were very important people with long tenures and high post counts. Much whining ensued and the rep system was "fixed" by adding more weight to your tenure and post count. Funny thing is that tenure doesn't make you a good contributor. And, post count is easily inflated (in a word association thread, for instance). And, now it's "fixed".

    Some of the true a$$hats were rewarded with an instantly higher rep power while those of us who do contribute (inside the OC and in other forums) were penalized. No reasoning given. No appeal process.

    I don't believe the site owners / admins really care. I hope you can convince me otherwise.

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation: theMeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,445
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    That idea went out the window when Al Gore sold the internet to Al-Jazzera.
    Lol, wouldn't put it past him. I don't really have a problem with him selling current tv to al jah whoeva, if you support a free market how could you. But think it's criminal for him to profit from a law that arguably he alone created, and that's why he owned a channel, and how he gained tons of tax payer dollars from a mostly unwilling and/or unknowing public.
    Round and round we go

  13. #113
    Registered text offender
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    How many threads have been started about rep? Atleast a hundred. And thousands of posts in those threads. That's content that did not exist without the rep system.

    I think the real intent is to give more legitimacy to the website. Those that contribute with high quality content should have a higher rep level. This lets visitors and newbies know who they can trust. Lower quality content should be ignored, not +repped, and allowed to move off the front page.
    Through this, several objectives can be attained:
    The overall content of the forum should improve.
    Forum members encourage quality posts through +reps. This teaches new members what they should be posting and what they shouldn't.
    Visitors get better content and more of them register.
    Higher visitor and registered user numbers go up, attracting advertisers.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, I recognize now that the rep system generates activity but the example of posts about Rep does so whilst devaluing the quality of the sites content.

    Does the intent match the results? User participation will heavily influence the accuracy of how well ones rep score reflects the value of their posts. There are some great contributors here with very low rep scores on account of not passing out rep and rarely venturing out of a favored sub forum, the transverse can be said as well.

  14. #114
    FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Reputation: OscarW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,685
    Some very valid points there Marpilli
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

  15. #115
    Rod
    Rod is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,840
    It appears I missed a lot when I was in Alabama for Christmas. I read all of these posts and it appears that every point I was going to make has already been made.

    P.S. Thanks Chum for the open dialogue. We need more of that and it's too rare.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

  16. #116
    ****** to the dirt
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,979
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    Yes, I recognize now that the rep system generates activity but the example of posts about Rep does so whilst devaluing the quality of the sites content.

    Does the intent match the results? User participation will heavily influence the accuracy of how well ones rep score reflects the value of their posts. There are some great contributors here with very low rep scores on account of not passing out rep and rarely venturing out of a favored sub forum, the transverse can be said as well.
    Yes this is true and I do believe some here went to help show their appreciation. The main problem with this is a lot of people (especially in the beginners thread) don't know or just don't rep. Where as in the other forums they do but only neg rep if you ask a question they think is dumc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    http://thewoodgallery.blogspot.ca/

  17. #117
    Registered text offender
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,137
    This is just an idea-

    Modify the rep system so users rep the post rather than the user as has been suggested before and instituted elsewhere and generate user rep scores based on the votes your posts receive.

    Not perfect but it would seem to garner more rep based upon the quality of posts and eliminate the intimidation factor for noobs wishing to avoid being moderated by fellow users having higher rep scores than others.

  18. #118
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    This is just an idea-

    Modify the rep system so users rep the post rather than the user as has been suggested before and instituted elsewhere and generate user rep scores based on the votes your posts receive.

    Not perfect but it would seem to garner more rep based upon the quality of posts and eliminate the intimidation factor for noobs wishing to avoid being moderated by fellow users having higher rep scores than others.


    Thats what I do anyway. Contrary to popular belief most of the rep that gets handed out by OCers used to go to other forums. Now that they cut it back to 5 a day, not so much. EPIC FAIL.

  19. #119
    govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Reputation: ArmySlowRdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,163
    The site owners are all off FOAMAPPING figuring out how to maximize revenue, while the admins are doing similarly figuring out how they are going to get a raise. With the implementation of an off topic section and a rep system and copious amounts of pot stirring it appears they're doing a fine job eh. Interest sure has spiked for sure.


    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    So, is it fixed now? Or, are they still working on it?

    Who are the site owners and admins that do care? Why do they not come in and participate in this thread if this is an important topic to them?

    Look in the OC on any given day and you'll see hundreds (if not thousands) of lurkers. They're not here by mistake. Most likely a google search pulled up a link in the OC. Why? Because just about every topic imaginable has been discussed here in less than a year. All of these lurkers exposed to MTBR from a search hit equals more money for MTBR (ad revenue).

    My opinion of what happened to the rep system: When the anonymity was removed, those who were true hateful trolls (you know who they are) were exposed and justly retaliated against. Some of these trolls were very important people with long tenures and high post counts. Much whining ensued and the rep system was "fixed" by adding more weight to your tenure and post count. Funny thing is that tenure doesn't make you a good contributor. And, post count is easily inflated (in a word association thread, for instance). And, now it's "fixed".

    Some of the true a$$hats were rewarded with an instantly higher rep power while those of us who do contribute (inside the OC and in other forums) were penalized. No reasoning given. No appeal process.

    I don't believe the site owners / admins really care. I hope you can convince me otherwise.

  20. #120
    Registered text offender
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Thats what I do anyway. Contrary to popular belief most of the rep that gets handed out by OCers used to go to other forums. Now that they cut it back to 5 a day, not so much. EPIC FAIL.
    Well I can attest to this as I have only ever received rep from you when I had posted something of value, but I'm suggesting rep power be equal across the board, if 20 people like your post you get 20 rep regardless of who you receive it from.

  21. #121
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Sounds like "everyone is a winner" to me, I'm not a big fan of parity.

  22. #122
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,614
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Sounds like "everyone is a winner" to me, I'm not a big fan of parity.
    so then removing the ability to neg rep would not work for you?
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  23. #123
    Rod
    Rod is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,840
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Sounds like "everyone is a winner" to me, I'm not a big fan of parity.
    Agreed. A new user should not have the same rep as someone that has been here for years.

    As we all know the rep system is broken, but there is no easy fix. I don't agree with making everyone equal.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

  24. #124
    Registered text offender
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Sounds like "everyone is a winner" to me, I'm not a big fan of parity.
    Not really. Good contributors would possess good rep scores and useful posts with accurate info would have high ratings.

    I'm not wanting to level the playing field, just figure a way to increase how accurately rep scores reflect the members and increase civility.

  25. #125
    A waste of time it is is
    Reputation: emu26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Wow...
    Mojo Troll - "Please stop passing judgement on me." Impossible, your recent posts are inflammatory, judgmental, appear to stir the pot, and create a (-) effect.
    Best be prepared for jail time, no lube for you - Buttercup.
    .
    It would appear that he has by-passed the brink and gone straight to exile island

    Name:  Mojo Troll.png
Views: 253
Size:  31.0 KB

  26. #126
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    so then removing the ability to neg rep would not work for you?



    Not that my opinion means anything in these matters but, neg rep serves a purpose. I have posted this before but here it goes again, if you get rid of anything, get rid of the whole thing.

  27. #127
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    Not really. Good contributors would possess good rep scores and useful posts with accurate info would have high ratings.

    I'm not wanting to level the playing field, just figure a way to increase how accurately rep scores reflect the members and increase civility.



    I humbly suggest that the admin accurately set the rep scores in the last reset. At least that was the intention.

  28. #128
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,614
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Not that my opinion means anything in these matters but, neg rep serves a purpose. I have posted this before but here it goes again, if you get rid of anything, get rid of the whole thing.

    what purpose is that?

    trolls will have very little rep....noobs who inevitably say something stoopid cannot be blasted into oblivion....positive contributors will continue to gain rep....

    I'm trying to find a real reason why neg repping is in any way shape or form necessary....because to date it is primarily used to snipe/insult/bully other users (whether deserved or not).
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  29. #129
    Rod
    Rod is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,840
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Not that my opinion means anything in these matters but, neg rep serves a purpose. I have posted this before but here it goes again, if you get rid of anything, get rid of the whole thing.
    I agree with this. If I am completely wrong or way out of line I should get a neg. rep or told hey you're breaking a norm.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

  30. #130
    Registered text offender
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Agreed. A new user should not have the same rep as someone that has been here for years.

    As we all know the rep system is broken, but there is no easy fix. I don't agree with making everyone equal.
    A new user wouldn't have the same rep score as a vet, the weight of ones post would be backed by years of positive contributions reflected in a score accumulated by many good posts.

    If my suggestion is a poor compromise then I am at a loss as to how the rep system can better serve us. I agree the system is flawed, if we are at a loss as to how to fix it then there is no easy answer and we ought to accept it for what it is and not expect the admins to fare any better with this quandary.

  31. #131
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,047
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    what purpose is that?

    trolls will have very little rep....noobs who inevitably say something stoopid cannot be blasted into oblivion....positive contributors will continue to gain rep....

    I'm trying to find a real reason why neg repping is in any way shape or form necessary....because to date it is primarily used to snipe/insult/bully other users (whether deserved or not).
    i tend to agree with that...

    the only problem that rivalled the fact that we got our reps slashed, was the discovery of who neg repped us (in most cases it just confirmed the suspicion).

    absence of ability to neg rep will reduce the amount of butthurt significantly.

    as CHUM pointed out - those that are jerking around will forever stay at low rep - which is the same as neg rep in the grand scheme of things...



    kill neg rep...
    Signature

  32. #132
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    what purpose is that?

    trolls will have very little rep....noobs who inevitably say something stoopid cannot be blasted into oblivion....positive contributors will continue to gain rep....

    I'm trying to find a real reason why neg repping is in any way shape or form necessary....because to date it is primarily used to snipe/insult/bully other users (whether deserved or not).



    When used properly it marks those that should be avoided. In the larger scheme of things it is probably too much to ask that it be used properly so you may as well jettison neg reps and just let everyone flame away at each other like the old days.

  33. #133
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,614
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I agree with this. If I am completely wrong or way out of line I should get a neg. rep or told hey you're breaking a norm.
    yes...'a' neg rep. Not hundreds of points deducted because you said something dumb.

    If there are a group of members here actively organized to neg rep (or pos rep) other members into oblivion we have a problem....

    it is a gang mentality used to bully others...and it is 100% unacceptable.

    What if an Admin decided they didn't like 1 of your posts and knocked you back into 4 red chiclets in a matter of moments?...

    or if I didn't like the way you disagreed with me and permabanned you for chits and giggles....

    it would be intimidating if Admins/Mods acted that way right? That's why we don't act that way...we're not bullies.
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  34. #134
    gone walk about
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    8,571
    Quote Originally Posted by az.mtns View Post
    we just want our ten reps a day returned. The tactic has backfired, instead of us giving out reps in the community at large we are hoarding our five a day. This is counter to what the admin was trying to accomplish no? Heck, the low rep guys will never have a chance of catching up unless the high rep guys help. Please consider restoring us to ten a day, the doubling the required points has slowed things to a crawl which i believe was the intent. Win/win. Respectfully, az.
    +100
    plus+, plus+ = win:

  35. #135
    banned
    Reputation: marpilli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,993
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    it would be intimidating if Admins/Mods acted that way right? That's why we don't act that way...we're not bullies.
    Maybe not you, but there were others...

  36. #136
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,047
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    yes...'a' neg rep. Not hundreds of points deducted because you said something dumb.

    If there are a group of members here actively organized to neg rep (or pos rep) other members into oblivion we have a problem....

    it is a gang mentality used to bully others...and it is 100% unacceptable.

    What if an Admin decided they didn't like 1 of your posts and knocked you back into 4 red chiclets in a matter of moments?...

    or if I didn't like the way you disagreed with me and permabanned you for chits and giggles....

    it would be intimidating if Admins/Mods acted that way right? That's why we don't act that way...we're not bullies.
    i also think that with neg reps having the name attached, the amount of neg repping will diminish, except for those with lots of rep - who have the muscle to withstand a neg rep here and there... also - neg reps cause retaliatory neg reps - for no reason. just a retaliation.

    the best will raise to the top either way... neg rep is just a butt hurt...

    with regards to high rep members being bullies - we feel that we are not - as much as you feel that you are not. some of the high rep member spend more time around here and probably know the fabrics of the site better than some mods. i think that the influence of these members can not be ignored. i would even venture to say that these members can make mods' and admins' jobs easier... most of high rep members are aware of their responsibilities when it comes to using their rep power... so some mutual respect is in order - i think...

    i would not call mods and admins bullies - i agree... i just can't wrap my head around Hutch's case... i must say that this particular move greatly affected the stature of those involved. negatively.

    just my opinion of course...
    Signature

  37. #137
    little mad riding hood
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    This is just an idea-

    Modify the rep system so users rep the post rather than the user as has been suggested before and instituted elsewhere and generate user rep scores based on the votes your posts receive.

    Not perfect but it would seem to garner more rep based upon the quality of posts and eliminate the intimidation factor for noobs wishing to avoid being moderated by fellow users having higher rep scores than others.
    I've been lurking on MTBR for a very long time, certainly before the whole rep system was ever put in place. I was stunned to discover a couple of years ago (because I got embroiled in one of the many Front Range trail building trainwreck threads) that not only did rep exist here, but it was anonymous to boot.

    They've had rep at RBR for probably the same amount of time, but at no point (at least in my recollection) was it EVER anon. Thus, you see most users at RBR using rep exactly as Jon Richard described ^^ - to give kudos to noteworthy posts, and neg reps are typically only handed out to the most egregious offenders.

    That's not to say RBR is a shining example of an internet forum, either. they've got their own issues but rep is not one of them.

    I'm also a member of reddit and MetaFilter - reddit famously uses the "karma" (upvote/downvote) system, where MeFi strictly uses "favorites" (meaning you cannot neg rep anyone, you can merely favorite their contributions if you find them worthwhile). The signal to noise ratio on MeFi is considerably greater and it's a lot easier to find good content. So sure I go to reddit for some lolz and funny cat pics, but I don't stick around much - the whole pileon/flamewar/bullying mentality of the userbase there is exactly what CHUM is talking about (I won't get into the perils of being openly female on reddit; it's not something I'd expect the average MTBR user to understand either).

  38. #138
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    yes...'a' neg rep. Not hundreds of points deducted because you said something dumb.

    If there are a group of members here actively organized to neg rep (or pos rep) other members into oblivion we have a problem....

    it is a gang mentality used to bully others...and it is 100% unacceptable.

    What if an Admin decided they didn't like 1 of your posts and knocked you back into 4 red chiclets in a matter of moments?...

    or if I didn't like the way you disagreed with me and permabanned you for chits and giggles....

    it would be intimidating if Admins/Mods acted that way right? That's why we don't act that way...we're not bullies.



    A rather large, loosely organized group of members had that very opportunity recently and opted rather for the proverbial troll beat down. I'm sure there were one or two reds handed out but by and large the whole thing was done with an extraordinary amount of restraint imho.

  39. #139
    check your six
    Reputation: sodak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,181
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    When used properly it marks those that should be avoided. In the larger scheme of things it is probably too much to ask that it be used properly so you may as well jettison neg reps and just let everyone flame away at each other like the old days.
    I agree with AZ here. Neg reps are just a valuable as Pos reps. I have recieved a few Neg reps since the system started that I truly deserved. I viewed the Neg and thought,.. hmm... yup, I was being a dick. And to tell you the truth, the Neg reps keep me in line. Kind of like a good ol' spanking from pops when doing something stupid.

    As for the random Negs, calling me names or insulting my mother with no warrant, they do not bother me either.. I kind of chuckle when I see one and think "well, at least I am not much of a dick". haha. It is the internets after all... thick skin is often required. If you get all butt hurt over a dissagreement on the internet, then you should look in the mirror and realize that it is ONLY the internets and re-evaluate your priorities...

    Lastly, I do like the fact that the reps are no longer anonymous. A neg rep sent to me about something I did is much better than a flame war cluttering up a thread, IMO.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

  40. #140
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Well cool, we have some dialog, working out some solutions (fingers crossed). Kudos to CHUM for reaching out and asking the pertinent questions and to those that have constructive input. And they say the O.C. isn't reasonable.

  41. #141
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    ....
    Last edited by Bill in Houston; 01-09-2013 at 08:15 AM.

  42. #142
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    Was there a case of a new person receiving several negative reps from high powered members from a single post? Because that is what you are suggesting. I don't think that that happened.

    I'm pretty sure that it took sustained idiocy to get beyond a single red chicklet. Again, if you are being a moron, get red, and continue to be a moron, why should you NOT receive repeated negs? I kind of thought that was the point.



    Tone's got repped back to the Stone Age when he first started, it doesn't take but a few to put someone 400 points in the red, especially before the reset.

  43. #143
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    I personally believe that off topic forums like Off Camber should be exempt from post counts and reps. That way, only posts that actually contribute to primary content of the forum affect users reputation on the forum.
    One other forum I am a member of uses post counts to build a member rating system. Too many members simply padded their post counts in the Off Topic forum and never posted any quality content in the other forums. The admins stopped counting Off Topic posts and the boards overall quality improved greatly.
    Off Camber is a place of fun, games and entertainment. You will never hear me say get rid of it. But if posts in Off Camber were not rep-able, the whole forum would be better for it, IMHO.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So you are saying all those videos in Ambassadorhawg's thread in the OC should not be rep'able? then why go through all the trouble to take,shoot, edit, upload, host and embed all those great places we ride?

    Guess we all need to step back and let this shYtstorm blow over, once the riding season starts again for the rest of the country.

  44. #144
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    ....
    Last edited by Bill in Houston; 01-09-2013 at 08:19 AM.

  45. #145
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    ....
    Last edited by Bill in Houston; 01-09-2013 at 08:14 AM.

  46. #146
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,010
    I don't care to read this thread as its really not that interesting . . . so if this has been said in this thread, sorry about that. But I KNOW I have said this elsewhere.

    If you want the rep system to reflect contributions made to the MTBR community for MTB topics, its quite simple . . . all you have to do is DISABLE REP IN THE OC FORUM. DONE. PROBLEM SOLVED. If the point of the system is to measure contributions to the community, then WHY do posts UNRELATED TO MTBing count towards that rep?

    Why this is so hard to figure out, I'll never know . . . .

    Edit: Brewtality made the same suggestion. Smart guy he is . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  47. #147
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,010
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    So you are saying all those videos in Ambassadorhawg's thread in the OC should not be rep'able? then why go through all the trouble to take,shoot, edit, upload, host and embed all those great places we ride?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    Well, don't forget, those posts technically should not be in the OC. Know what I mean? They're sposta be in Passion or General or a geographical forum.
    This.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  48. #148
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,170
    You know we are being played? You can bet the superiors are loving this latest dust up. This is a business that depends on activity. When this dust settles another issue will be manufactured. Just plan a no mtbr week to send a message. I know I've posted more lately that ever before. You can be sure the superiors are knee slapping when reading these posts, thinking what a bunch of patsy's we are.

    I'll say it again. Rep is just like gang colors and brings on some of the same negs. If one can't say it in the open, one should save their breath. Just like cackling hens talking behind others back. Lets man up and be adults.
    lean forward

  49. #149
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,775
    Chum, thank you again for taking your time to engage with us.

    Here would be some recommendations I would have for the system.

    1. Simply do away with rep when the new software is installed. Just wrap it all up in one major change and the rep battle will get lost in the shuffle.

    2. Recognize that we don't all have to agree and get along. I've learned over the year there are some places here are simply no fun to visit. I don't go there. I realize that there are threads in OC that I don't like. So what, I can skip them. Why some people can't find this peace is beyond me. Perhaps this is at the heart of your "Taco" thread. What an individual user's preconceived notation of what a forums, thread, or post should be about shouldn't matter provided the said topic is within rules. If not, purge it. We can't also endorse people that constantly to to mold this forum to their use either.

    3. Deal transparently with disgruntled people. If people have an issue with how someone is doing something and they "cry" to a mod, inform the person that they should send the offending person a PM instead of rewarding the whining. I realize not everyone here is an "adult", but honestly, some basic communication skills would go along way for many of the users. Text typed into an internet forum is cold and can easily be misunderstood. Even within Off Camber we have had some tension, but it gets resolved with communication.

    4. You have raised concerns regarding gang repping some users. I whole heartily share your concern. To be honest, I suspect the vast majority of people here do too. You have the data on this and could deal with this concern off line if it were a serial offense. That said, there are "thread pirates" sitting in all of the forums. Some demonstrate an uncanny desire to try to own every conversation on a particular topic. This is just as bad in my opinion as it more visibly drives people away.

    5. Enlist help when needed. I remember you doing this when the golfers stopped by on the turn. Some were negged deep into the hole. I think they found quite a bit of humor about this, but nonetheless, you gave a quick post to say give them a chance. A simple redirect like this goes pretty far. Having said this, perhaps that is something we should all try more to do. I think we do that privately through positive reps back (at least I do), but maybe the more visible "give the person a chance" message is better off more prominently placed in the forum.

  50. #150
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Chum, thank you again for taking your time to engage with us.

    Here would be some recommendations I would have for the system.

    1. Simply do away with rep when the new software is installed. Just wrap it all up in one major change and the rep battle will get lost in the shuffle.

    2. Recognize that we don't all have to agree and get along. I've learned over the year there are some places here are simply no fun to visit. I don't go there. I realize that there are threads in OC that I don't like. So what, I can skip them. Why some people can't find this peace is beyond me. Perhaps this is at the heart of your "Taco" thread. What an individual user's preconceived notation of what a forums, thread, or post should be about shouldn't matter provided the said topic is within rules. If not, purge it. We can't also endorse people that constantly to to mold this forum to their use either.

    3. Deal transparently with disgruntled people. If people have an issue with how someone is doing something and they "cry" to a mod, inform the person that they should send the offending person a PM instead of rewarding the whining. I realize not everyone here is an "adult", but honestly, some basic communication skills would go along way for many of the users. Text typed into an internet forum is cold and can easily be misunderstood. Even within Off Camber we have had some tension, but it gets resolved with communication.

    4. You have raised concerns regarding gang repping some users. I whole heartily share your concern. To be honest, I suspect the vast majority of people here do too. You have the data on this and could deal with this concern off line if it were a serial offense. That said, there are "thread pirates" sitting in all of the forums. Some demonstrate an uncanny desire to try to own every conversation on a particular topic. This is just as bad in my opinion as it more visibly drives people away.

    5. Enlist help when needed. I remember you doing this when the golfers stopped by on the turn. Some were negged deep into the hole. I think they found quite a bit of humor about this, but nonetheless, you gave a quick post to say give them a chance. A simple redirect like this goes pretty far. Having said this, perhaps that is something we should all try more to do. I think we do that privately through positive reps back (at least I do), but maybe the more visible "give the person a chance" message is better off more prominently placed in the forum.
    That was the levelheaded version.


    Magura

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •