Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Dissolved member
    ^^^ I think you give them admins too much credit Mr. Magura. In reality, I do not think anyone really gives a cr4p about less than two dozens OCers with ruffled feathers. Look at the GR precedent...

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Last edited by Bill in Houston; 01-09-2013 at 07:18 AM.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    ^^^ I think you give them admins too much credit Mr. Magura. In reality, I do not think anyone really gives a cr4p about less than two dozens OCers with ruffled feathers. Look at the GR precedent...
    It's just funny how those "less than two dozens", for some reason are able to put an entire board off balance, and to cause the most activity (yes admin, that's where your income comes from...do you still think you're doing well when all those members are gone?), plus they seem to be identical to some of the ones in each sub forum, whom are very knowledgeable??

Personally I'd be giving loads of cr4ps about those people, cause they seem to have quite an impact.......but then again, to think that far ahead has not been the trademark of the admins lately.

Magura

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    While I cannot speak for the collective Cat Herd, IMHO the OC has become the dumping ground for many of the butthurt, and socially challenged. Appears that after crossing the line to get beat up in the regular bike forums they then enter the OC with an attitude and an axe to grind.

Instead of the mods interjecting to enforce basic forum rules, it MAY be that we are trying to eject these azzhats from ruining the OC spirit. Since it appears the admin no longer regards, or respects the OC participants, [as evidenced by the as of yet unexplained re-assignment, and eliminating rep earned] then why the heck should we care?

Fact is we do. And by allowing a few butthurt azzhats to continually post hateful, controversial, or politically charged topics in the OC is more than some can stomach. If I'm not mistaken, this was the creative approach used to bump old threads and remove the current flock of nasty's.

(Just saying, this may be why, so many ask that a certain OC member be set free.)
    Flynn, you nailed it mate, you are 110% correct.

CHUM,

First of all id like to say that i appreciate your approach to the OC.
    Its a warm, fun loving community, very different to the rest of the forum and i think its been a real success this year.

I think that the OC 'Heavy hitters are actually good for the forum, almost to the point that the weight of a few here can weed out the wankers and work as a bit of a team, i dont think thats anything for admin to fear, i think it restores the order so to speak.

Part of the problem with the upset of late and people feeling like they dont want to spend time here and moving to other sites is that people felt letdown by the admin.
    Changing all the rep system with no transparency or communication showed a lil bit of disrespect to the community here.
    I realise its their website and we are only visitors, but its more than just a website for some, we invest a lot of time here, its like a home away from home for us, and we are some of the people that this place relies upon to make it what it is.

The rep system is not the be all and end all, but its a great way to have the long term users to some degree 'keep the peace' and imo it worked very well until the admin took half out rep power away and reduced reps from 10 to 5.
    5 reps a day is simply not enough.
    How does one award great posts, the helpers, the underdogs, new members, great humour, great threads, warmth, supportive people etc, and then have enough to dish out a bit or red to the guys that you are talking about in your other thread and guys being general *****, the answer is there is not enough to go round anymore.

If the rep system needs to be tinkered with surly the admin will realise that they have made a mistake and its put many old timers off and they will change it back, or maybe they dont care, maybe it was a punishment, maybe it was all in the plan, but we dont know, no body has bothered to take the time to explain it to us.

By taking the power away from the people they have made a big mistake imo, i predict we will see more unrest and drama because the ***** have a free run of the place now, its as simple as that

We all realise the Mods are here to instal the rules not make them, there is no unrest directed towards you guys, you give up your time and effort for nothing in return and we all appreciate that, but due to the total lack of communication by the admin, many of us see it as a lack of respect, that is why there has been a mass move to a few other sites, which makes me sad because i love this place, its a great bunch of people, a really special community that imo cant be replaced, i have met many fine people and friends here who many have been really let down by the last few weeks events.

most now fear that at any time without warning things will be changed without any discussion or communication, and due to the latest changes that have had the total opporsite effect than desired the place will change for the worst again.

People have lost a bit of respect and faith Chum, i realise that admin will probably say 'we dont care nor do we have to communicate anything with you guys, its our site, we set the rules, we dont need to tell you anything, you know where the leave button is, see you later ,go somewhere else'' this is the reason why faith and respect is lost.

Cheers Chum.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    Personally I'd be giving loads of cr4ps about those people, cause they seem to have quite an impact.......but then again, to think that far ahead has not been the trademark of the admins lately.

Magura
    We forgive you your idealized point of view since we know you have a mind of a brilliant engineer!

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    pinkbike has been great because they don't care what we do. ridemonkey has been great because they DO care what we do.
    Really? That's very nice

Maybe a few of us should take our contributions to one of them instead....
    Personally I'm about to be fed up, dealing with the consequences of the management here.

Magura

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    Exactly which hands is it in?

This matter is getting ridiculous.
    The rep system was installed to enhance the forum.
    Right now it's taking the forum down the drain.

I used to enjoy coming to MTBR, but to be honest, the last couple of months, the garbage to good ration has been suffering big time. This has been driven by very poor handling of the rep system, poor communication, and a couple of very unfortunate decisions.

Poor communication and very poor decisions, seems to have passed relatively unnoticed before, in spite of plenty of heads up from the members.
    Now that there is a system that involves everybody, and that quite a number of members, seems to put value into, poor communication and unfortunate (not thought through) decisions, now impacts too many people to keep on like this.
    We all make mistakes, but to be honest, it's turning into a habit here.

In the past I have defended the people behind MTBR, explaining to people that we all make mistakes, that no bad intentions were behind, and so forth.
    The above is getting damned hard to believe, now that it's the same mistakes that are made, over and over.

Let's take an example shall we.
    The rep system was changed. Loads of people got real annoyed cause it was done with real poor communication.
    It was pointed out, and by pointed I mean bent in neon, that a lot of people were unhappy with the way things were handled.
    After a while the admin makes a short notice, that gave more questions than answers.
    Shortly after......same story, down to the last period.
    I'm sorry, but that's simply ignorant.

The result: loads of annoyed and unhappy members.
    Was that result so damned hard to predict?

Really, it's time to move forward, and by forward I mean to stop making the same mistakes over and over again, get some reasonable communication going, and perhaps thinking things over before taking action.

And no, this is not directed at you Chum, or anybody else personally for that kind of matter, but rather a general heads up for those whom have caused this mess.

Magura

LOL, Mags has come back to earth lol, whats happened mags, did you go back over my posts a few weeks ago and realise i was on the money

^^Who's sock is this? I found it in the drier and I need it gone. It has a hole in it and appears to be burnt orange.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

DIY all the way
    LOL, Mags has come back to earth lol, whats happened mags, did you go back over my posts a few weeks ago and realise i was on the money
    I'll have to admit that I was wrong.

The level of ignorance is just amazing.

Magura

Quote Originally Posted by craptaschtik View Post
    Why do people still think that the owners of this site need to abide by any standards or rules? The rules are in place for every one, but... That is the honor of ownership, donchaknow?

It is a privilege, not a right, to be able to post here. They owe you nothing.

Suckit up, buttercups. Eat your porridge!
    Hi Francis, welcome to the OC......

Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    We just want our ten reps a day returned. The tactic has backfired, instead of us giving out reps in the community at large we are hoarding our five a day. This is counter to what the admin was trying to accomplish no? Heck, the low rep guys will never have a chance of catching up unless the high rep guys help. Please consider restoring us to ten a day, the doubling the required points has slowed things to a crawl which I believe was the intent. Win/Win. Respectfully, AZ.
    I would count AZ as the most well respected member here, he usually speaks with great articulation, he is measured and thoughtful, he is the exact sort of member admin should be listening to and going to for feedback, and i totally agree with his sentiments above, infact if the reps were changed back to 10 i think most of the unrest would change over night.

DIY all the way
    i think most of the unrest would change over night.
    It would, if somebody would be smart enough to stop handing out bans.
    Some genius just sent Spinning Lizard the same direction as Hutch, with the same great and super transparent style of communication.
    Somehow the result of that ought to be reasonably predictable, no?

Magura

What the ****? why was SL banned? Where's that thread?
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Last edited by Bill in Houston; 01-09-2013 at 07:16 AM.

they took the bar
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    a man close to my heart!

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Last edited by Bill in Houston; 01-09-2013 at 07:15 AM.

they took the bar
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    Good thing we're still allowed poop/fart/sex jokes within reason, or else there goes 90 percent of MY poasts!!!!
    Ha! indeed!!!

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Flynn, you nailed it mate, you are 110% correct.

CHUM,

First of all id like to say that i appreciate your approach to the OC.
    Its a warm, fun loving community, very different to the rest of the forum and i think its been a real success this year.

I think that the OC 'Heavy hitters are actually good for the forum, almost to the point that the weight of a few here can weed out the wankers and work as a bit of a team, i dont think thats anything for admin to fear, i think it restores the order so to speak.

Part of the problem with the upset of late and people feeling like they dont want to spend time here and moving to other sites is that people felt letdown by the admin.
    Changing all the rep system with no transparency or communication showed a lil bit of disrespect to the community here.
    I realise its their website and we are only visitors, but its more than just a website for some, we invest a lot of time here, its like a home away from home for us, and we are some of the people that this place relies upon to make it what it is.

The rep system is not the be all and end all, but its a great way to have the long term users to some degree 'keep the peace' and imo it worked very well until the admin took half out rep power away and reduced reps from 10 to 5.
    5 reps a day is simply not enough.
    How does one award great posts, the helpers, the underdogs, new members, great humour, great threads, warmth, supportive people etc, and then have enough to dish out a bit or red to the guys that you are talking about in your other thread and guys being general *****, the answer is there is not enough to go round anymore.

If the rep system needs to be tinkered with surly the admin will realise that they have made a mistake and its put many old timers off and they will change it back, or maybe they dont care, maybe it was a punishment, maybe it was all in the plan, but we dont know, no body has bothered to take the time to explain it to us.

By taking the power away from the people they have made a big mistake imo, i predict we will see more unrest and drama because the ***** have a free run of the place now, its as simple as that

We all realise the Mods are here to instal the rules not make them, there is no unrest directed towards you guys, you give up your time and effort for nothing in return and we all appreciate that, but due to the total lack of communication by the admin, many of us see it as a lack of respect, that is why there has been a mass move to a few other sites, which makes me sad because i love this place, its a great bunch of people, a really special community that imo cant be replaced, i have met many fine people and friends here who many have been really let down by the last few weeks events.

most now fear that at any time without warning things will be changed without any discussion or communication, and due to the latest changes that have had the total opporsite effect than desired the place will change for the worst again.

People have lost a bit of respect and faith Chum, i realise that admin will probably say 'we dont care nor do we have to communicate anything with you guys, its our site, we set the rules, we dont need to tell you anything, you know where the leave button is, see you later ,go somewhere else'' this is the reason why faith and respect is lost.

Cheers Chum.
    first of all thank you for the well thought out post - you all here in the OC (most of ya hooligans) are really great contributors to MTBR in both specialized MTB knowledge and for having fun

But bolded in red above - therein lies a problem....a real problem.

sometimes y'all hit the nail on the head and virtually destroy (via rep) a nasty troll.....but sometimes (more than once) y'all have completely obliterated a noob who would not back down from a stupid comment.

One case was a guy who earned well over -450 rep points within an hour....he was not a troll....just an opinionated noob.

I understand there is no planning this, nor is there any malice - it is all done with the best of intentions....but it is a 'pack' mentality that has grown organically (for lack of a better term)....

It is VERY intimidating to all members when they see 8 or 10 cats with rep in the 100's all jumping in at the same time backing each other up....

but of course the stick swings both ways and y'all have + rep'd plenty into the green chiclet sword of 'acceptance'....which is all warm and fuzzy...

Those of you with massive rep power really need to think about who you 'zap'....for that person you gave a bright greenie could very well be a *****bag, and the member you gave red could be a real positive contributor super cool person in a few months/weeks...

And just so ya know - the Admins and site owners do care...they are just trying to find balance on a HUGE forum in a timely fashion to solve a potential problem before it sets in so deep it can't be 'fixed'...

hope this makes sense....
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

gran jefe
    Nov 2011

gran jefe
    Nov 2011

Just like in the ghettoes. There is no thread, because whoever starts it goes to the camps too..
    I feel that. Dissent is cause for termination. Iron fists in velvet gloves. And the velvet is wearing out.

Just like in the ghettoes. There is no thread, because whoever starts it goes to the camps too..
    I feel that. Dissent is cause for termination. Iron fists in velvet gloves. And the velvet is wearing out.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    One case was a guy who earned well over -450 rep points within an hour....he was not a troll....just an opinionated noob.

It is VERY intimidating to all members when they see 8 or 10 cats with rep in the 100's all jumping in at the same time backing each other up....

but of course the stick swings both ways and y'all have + rep'd plenty into the green chiclet sword of 'acceptance'....which is all warm and fuzzy...

Those of you with massive rep power really need to think about who you 'zap'....for that person you gave a bright greenie could very well be a *****bag, and the member you gave red could be a real positive contributor super cool person in a few months/weeks...
    Funny . . . I don't recall this being a problem before "rep" was implemented . . . Hmmm . . . how could we rectify this?

Wait for it . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rep is like gang colors. With all the problems it brings.
    lean forward

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast