Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12
Results 276 to 293 of 293
  1. #276
    mtbr member
    Reputation: marpilli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    thank you for illustrating my point.

    independently throwing a neg at someone for being wrong/stoopid/etc...is OK

    acting as a group for the sole purpose of 'ganging' up on someone is no longer an independent action...it is not OK

    do you get it now?
    I agree.

    If a member posts (in a separate thread) "Hey, everyone come -rep this guy in this other thread!" then I feel the member should be warned and the instigating post removed.

    However, if several like-minded individuals independently decide to -rep one person in particular it's not really ganging up on someone.
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

  2. #277
    bust a move
    Reputation: 2ridealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,675
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Is it time for narwhals and unicorns yet? I don't want to get taco'd, but honestly, it seems like we have covered just about everything at this point in the thread.
    I just searched and loaded the narwhal video for embed about 10 minutes ago...finger on button
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

  3. #278
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,511
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ridealot View Post
    I just searched and loaded the narwhal video for inbed about 10 minutes ago...finger on button
    i thought we were done discussing MTBR changes, but we went on discussing other OC individual issues - like monogod... which is good... i like reading most of his posts - with a little change he can be razor fun guy to talk to...

    on the other hand - rep system was supposed to be left alone... don't know why scott brought it up again... we have a moratorium in effect - nothing new to be said, i think...
    Signature

  4. #279
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,221
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    I agree.

    If a member posts (in a separate thread) "Hey, everyone come -rep this guy in this other thread!" then I feel the member should be warned and the instigating post removed.

    However, if several like-minded individuals independently decide to -rep one person in particular it's not really ganging up on someone.
    It is when it's discussed prior to doing so....which has been happening with higher and higher frequency.

    There is no way us Mods can monitor every single post - we can monitor and address trends...

    that is what's happening now.
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

  5. #280
    thread crapper
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    778
    I was just trying to point out that occasionally a neg is merited. I'm not a mod, nor do I have any interest in being one. I think the ones we have do a generally good job, and in the case of Chum, do a great job. Sorry if I got your taint hair in a knot.

  6. #281
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,088
    ....

  7. #282
    meh... whatever
    Reputation: monogod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,436
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post


    There will never be another PoSER/f88 here on mtbr...

    However, the f88me site is still up. It does need new members (currently it is failing).

    If some of y'all are so disenfranchised with how MTBR conducts itself I am sure f88me would welcome you in. In there is very light moderation...only real rules are 1) no personal info and 2) no porn.

    here is the address:
    Mountain Bike Forum - f88me at indymtb

    Some of y'all may have a good time for a spell...and discover a place where you can be as rowdy as you like when the mood strikes.....

    it's better than getting the ban hammer here right?
    again chum, a quick review will show that i support the recent decisions and actions of the admins/mods and have in no way communicated within this thread a feeling of disenfranchisement with how MTBR conducts itself. i'd PM a mod if i had an issue with them.

    for the record: f88me is excrement.

    for the record: i'm not suggesting a sub-forum in that wise.

    it appears there is a great deal of confusion concerning the specifics of my suggestion so i'll clarify.

    when the PoSER forum was locked i joined f88me but terminated my membership fairly quickly. as did many others. why? because was founded by mean-spirited, spiritually ugly, black hearted people who enjoy being cruel and offensive merely for it's own sake -- and that is not what i enjoy, participate in, or am suggesting be instituted/restored here. f88me is failing because it doesn't appeal to most other people either.

    there is a difference between having topic freedom, lively debate, and tossing around good natured barbs (or taking a piss at someone, as it's referred to more and more frequently) and the abject cruelty and insensitivity that defines f88me. i'm advocating the former rather than the latter.

    as with any other member on the forum my sarcasm and/or sense of humor can be taken lightly or assigned a sinister motive. if it's taken as it's meant, which is good natured ribbing, then so be it. if it's taken wrong and ascribed a sinister motive, then so be it. won't lose or gain a minute of sleep either way.

    yet again, all i can do is tell ya's that i loves all yous peeps and that my dry, somewhat sarcastic sense of humor is just that... a sense of humor. one no different from many others and even far less caustic, abrasive, and sarcastic than quite a few that aren't taken wrong. how you (generically speaking, not "you, chum") take it's completely up to you. glass half full or half empty?

    my suggestion was merely one that would allow the OC continue as it's been going (i.e. lots of topic latitude, etc.) with a group pledge to do a better job at self-governing and to take accountability for ourselves and fellow riders by preventing "OCing" from spilling out elsewhere in the forum rather than to clone f88me in a sub-forum.

    any other conclusion was drawn in error.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

  8. #283
    mtbr member
    Reputation: marpilli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    I agree.

    If a member posts (in a separate thread) "Hey, everyone come -rep this guy in this other thread!" then I feel the member should be warned and the instigating post removed.

    However, if several like-minded individuals independently decide to -rep one person in particular it's not really ganging up on someone.
    It is when it's discussed prior to doing so....which has been happening with higher and higher frequency.

    There is no way us Mods can monitor every single post - we can monitor and address trends...

    that is what's happening now.
    If it's discussed prior to doing so, then it falls within the first section of my response and I feel the member should be warned and the instigating post removed. I'm not disagreeing with you on that.

    This is an honest question: Let's say there is an individual who has been dogpiled with positive or negative rep (and there's no collusion amongst the other members to do so). Should something be done about it? If so, what?
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

  9. #284
    meh... whatever
    Reputation: monogod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,436
    osokolo -- thanks for your previous post (small step, giant leap). you raised some good points that deserved recognition and response but imho it's too volatile in here at the moment. perhaps forever, i dunno...

    i'll PM it instead if you're interested. if not, thanks for your coherent, rational input just the same.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

  10. #285
    thread crapper
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    If it's discussed prior to doing so, then it falls within the first section of my response and I feel the member should be warned and the instigating post removed. I'm not disagreeing with you on that.

    This is an honest question: Let's say there is an individual who has been dogpiled with positive or negative rep (and there's no collusion amongst the other members to do so). Should something be done about it? If so, what?
    Aha! Marp, you phrased it better than me. To me this is what rep is for. Love/Hate and letting us "self-police". Occasionally someone wants to dump gas on themselves and run around asking for a match. And occasionally we, with a mutual understanding of how the OC has been handled and how we as the users like it, begin throwing matches at them. I see this as the reason the gun/religion/politics threads lead to whinefests. I might agree with some of the points, but I get tired of hearing people ***** and moan with the same crap I'm hearing on TV all day. We all have the same idea of what's fun, we just vary on other topics.

  11. #286
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7,259
    Woohoo! It lives!

    All this talk about warnings when really, don't you think a time out is a warning for getting banned?
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

  12. #287
    mtbr member
    Reputation: marpilli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Woohoo! It lives!

    All this talk about warnings when really, don't you think a time out is a warning for getting banned?
    Warning, time out, temporary suspension, smack on the a$$, whatever you call it.

    EDIT: Forgot "taco kick" <- my new favorite.
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

  13. #288
    meh... whatever
    Reputation: monogod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,436
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    Warning, time out, temporary suspension, smack on the a$$, whatever you call it.

    EDIT: Forgot "taco kick" <- my new favorite.
    dangit! was gonna add "taco kick" but ya beat me to it!
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

  14. #289
    mtbr member
    Reputation: marpilli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    dangit! was gonna add "taco kick" but ya beat me to it!



    CHUM, if you ever feel fit to ban me. Please put "Kicked in the taco" as my custom user title.
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

  15. #290
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7,259
    You know. I LOVE tacos. I feel like you are demeaning to tacos. Hmph.

    p.s. Okay. Breathe. Relax. And BEHAVE now. Poor Chum and Rockstar. You guys are a handful.

    They are no longer employees of the month at the Mod House thanks to you lot. Poor guys. You guys owe them.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

  16. #291
    thread crapper
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    778
    WHAT?! They're not EoM?! That's BS! Who do we need to neg?

  17. #292
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,221
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    ...

    This is an honest question: Let's say there is an individual who has been dogpiled with positive or negative rep (and there's no collusion amongst the other members to do so). Should something be done about it? If so, what?
    Yes. When there is a growing trend of the same cast 'enforcing' MTBR rules...or their version of the rules.

    What is currently happening is what's being done about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by scottap2003 View Post
    Aha! Marp, you phrased it better than me. To me this is what rep is for. Love/Hate and letting us "self-police". Occasionally someone wants to dump gas on themselves and run around asking for a match. And occasionally we, with a mutual understanding of how the OC has been handled and how we as the users like it, begin throwing matches at them. I see this as the reason the gun/religion/politics threads lead to whinefests. I might agree with some of the points, but I get tired of hearing people ***** and moan with the same crap I'm hearing on TV all day. We all have the same idea of what's fun, we just vary on other topics.
    This has been happening outside the OC....where the OC culture/attitude/atmosphere are not so appreciated by other forum members.

    You see a member flaming out - report it.
    You don't like a thread - report it.
    You don't think we act fast enough - ignore the member/thread.

    Do not take into your collective hands to try and enforce MTBR policy.

    This is a poor analogy....if you see someone speeding do you pull them over? No. Do you call your friends to follow them home so you can intimidate? No.

    You would end up in jail....

    In here you end up in the 'corner' or uninvited all together.

    I'm done with this nonsense - I've made my point as clear as I possibly can.
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

  18. #293
    I build my own.
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,275
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    You know. I LOVE tacos. I feel like you are demeaning to tacos. Hmph.

    p.s. Okay. Breathe. Relax. And BEHAVE now. Poor Chum and Rockstar. You guys are a handful.

    They are no longer employees of the month at the Mod House thanks to you lot. Poor guys. You guys owe them.
    Who is now? You?

    Nice job of flying under the radar. I can appreciate that. You can get a lot done if nobody notices you doing it.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •