Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    official eMpTyBRain

The "Oh crud, my car/truck needs service" thread

I just realized that my truck (80K miles) has developed an exhaust leak somewhere near the engine. I hope it's not serious. It's running fine, maybe with a little "buzzing" noise, though.

How's your vehicle running???
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Meatbomb
    My truck is ready for fuel filters and the Honda needs an oil change. Other than that, no problems (jinx).

My clothes dryer stopped producing heat today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    on all 4 with a blow dryer. I do reg earl/philter changes but this summer had the plugs changed @ 90k and the rear wheel bearing hubs replaced also.

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    I just realized that my truck (80K miles) has developed an exhaust leak somewhere near the engine. I hope it's not serious. It's running fine, maybe with a little "buzzing" noise, though.

Maybe it's on the death spiral down, and time to trade in? You you stripped out a head bolt on the exhaust manifold due to overheating? Or maybe you get lucky and it tightens right back up and you didn't warp and have to resurface your exhaust manifold.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I learned that my Buick is not a workable rally car. Trying to power drift it in snow did not end well, I had to break out a shovel to get it unstuck.

more carbon=more awesome
    My car is due for a cam belt change. Bummer.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

Ohh Gnarly!!
    Mine is supposed to be changed at 90K.I bought the truck with 130K,and no record of it being done.The shop I'm taking it to said that they can tell if it's been done,or not, after they open it up.

I'll need to replace the water pump also,if it the timing belt hasn't been done.

mtbr member
    Car and truck both paid off. So without car payments it's time for car repairs. My windshield washer in my CRV (car) died. Guess I know what my Christmas present is going to be.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff round two)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyonadyke View Post
    Maybe it's on the death spiral down, and time to trade in? You you stripped out a head bolt on the exhaust manifold due to overheating? Or maybe you get lucky and it tightens right back up and you didn't warp and have to resurface your exhaust manifold.
    I've never so much as turned a singe bolt or screw under the hood of this truck. That's unusual for me because I used to be a wrencher but these days, I just don't give a fvck anymore. Of course I get the oil/fluids changed on time (ahead of sched actually) and of course I change the air/cabin filter every 10K. But it's due for plugs to be changed and shocks changed. I bought shocks and plugs but I can't for the life of me get myself to do it.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

psycho cyclo addict
    I have a car with over 100k miles on it that needs a rear valve cover gasket replaced... gotta take a crapload off the top of the motor to get at it (labor $$$ to the maxxx for a $3 part).

Adding insult to injury, my ex left the !@#$%^&* sunroof open during what amounted to a tropical storm while I was away on vacation so the interior is hosed... thinkin of selling the poor beast at putting it out of its misery. I was keeping it around for my daughter to drive- no good deed goes unpunished...

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator

had an audi a4 quattro - the "needs service" was killing me.

bought a kia.

I do not expect to see a "needs service" for 100,000 miles or so

EDIT: my charger OTOH will need some work....but she's almost 44 years old.
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    I learned that my Buick is not a workable rally car. Trying to power drift it in snow did not end well, I had to break out a shovel to get it unstuck.
    I power drifted my GMC van (180k miles) into a parallel-parking maneuver the other day on an icy road. I could have put the car in park and walked away from such a great parking job, if I weren't on the wrong side of the road. That's how f*cking great it was. That same van needs new suspension, both power windows are dead, and the A/C and heater don't work so well. The van really isn't worth enough to warrant repairs, but it got a new engine 30k miles ago, it's all paid off, and it's cheap to insure.

Oh, and something makes a weird noise when I start it in the cold (<25F) but that may just be because the air is so cold? Not totally sure on that one.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

I build my own.
    Needs service? Yeah, a little.

The &quot;Oh crud, my car/truck needs service&quot; thread-img_5585.jpg
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtjim57 View Post
    Car and truck both paid off. So without car payments it's time for car repairs. My windshield washer in my CRV (car) died. Guess I know what my Christmas present is going to be.
    Paid off. The two best words ever when talking vehicles.

Got a Jeep with 80k miles....thing is leaking like a sieve. It's time to change all of the gasket/weather tape thingies that cover every fricking point of the freedom top (and the door...bottom of the door...just how does it leak there?).

Thing is...that kit with all the pre cut seals is a couple hundred bucks.

So pro tip....

Head to Home depot. Pick up some of the all weather strip tape (the thick kind bout 1 1/2 in wide) and a xacto knife. Cut new strips (plus a couple that are NOT included in the factory kit..for the corners of the windows..you will be sorry if you don't). Install for something like 20 bucks max all in.

I guess I have a project tomorrow.

Thanks for the reminder.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    ^ My driver's side door leaks a bit too. Wanna take care of mine too while you're at it?
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My car broke a control arm yesterday morning on the way to work, stuck in a busy intersection.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Sat in the car in the fields behind my house, drinking beer and cranking the tunes while the dog looked for rabbits.

Time to go, battery didn't have enough juice to get 'er going. I HATE when that happens! I'm not real impressed with AAA batteries.

Luckily, I have a neighbor who doesn't work, and is willing to give me a jump in exchange for a couple of beers.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Ride More, Whine Less
    Where do I begin: Our Toyota van's power sliding doors no longer power slide; you have to drag them close. It too has an upper exhaust leak. It has already had a new radiator in its short 5 year life. Now they say the master cylinder needs to be replaced. There is a recall that could fix it spontaneously coming out of drive and finding reverse at speed. There is a vibration / squeak in the instrument cluster that drives you made on long drive. Basically, it was a lemon. I'm not sure I'll buy another Toyota again.

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    I've never so much as turned a singe bolt or screw under the hood of this truck. That's unusual for me because I used to be a wrencher but these days, I just don't give a fvck anymore. Of course I get the oil/fluids changed on time (ahead of sched actually) and of course I change the air/cabin filter every 10K. But it's due for plugs to be changed and shocks changed. I bought shocks and plugs but I can't for the life of me get myself to do it.
    Optimus has built a lot of fast rides, he's good with a wrench, but I doubt he enjoys working on cars as much as doing mods or building wheels and sh8t on his mountain bikes. Priorities. Getting close to 100k, off the beast and get yourself somethng else that will go another 100k without needing wrenching on.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

usually cranky
    07 suburban, knock on wood all ive had to do was fill the front passenger side tire a little.

removing nudity
    $3300A on my wifes Lexus RX330 yesterday. 160K service + timing belt + water pump + vsc sensor + something else I can't remember, but they do give you a loan car

Not a happy camper

more carbon=more awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    $3300A on my wifes Lexus RX330 yesterday. 160K service + timing belt + water pump + vsc sensor + something else I can't remember, but they do give you a loan car

Not a happy camper
    Why doesn't she drive a Torana like a proper Aussie Sheila?

removing nudity
    Quote Originally Posted by The Understater View Post
    Why doesn't she drive a Torana like a proper Aussie Sheila?
    because I won't give her the keys

ozz
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Time to go, battery didn't have enough juice to get 'er going. I HATE when that happens! I'm not real impressed with AAA batteries.
    Wow it must take a thousand of those little AAA batteries to power a car. I hope you use Energizers with that bunny that keeps going....

more carbon=more awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    because I won't give her the keys
    ha ha.... nice one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast