Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Front Range, Colorado

O.C. Official Motorcycle Thread.....AKA Evel Knievel Thread.

Evel Knievel Documentary "New for 2013"If interested turn on the Discovery channel right now. American Legend Life and career of Evel Knievel.
    Edit: After watching it there is new exposed information and new never before aired footage. Definitely worth watching. Keep an eye out for reruns on the Discovery channel. They usually run repeats all month.

Edit: This thread started out as an Evel Knievel thread. But now it is officially the O.C. Motorcycle thread. Post up anything motorcycle.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 10-16-2013 at 11:19 PM. Reason: I plead the 5th.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

banned
    Aug 2011
    There are already like 10 documentaries on Mr. Knievel.

Front Range, Colorado
    Oh I should have mentioned this one is "brand new". Thanks I edited the title.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 10-14-2013 at 09:36 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

banned
    Aug 2011
    Is there any new information? I guess I'll have to wait for it on Netflix.

official eMpTyBRain
    I guess there must be a bunch of different Discovery Channels because the one we have doesn't have that show on and I checked just a few minutes after you posted this.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Evel rules...

my son at 2 1/2

O.C. Official Motorcycle thread.....-t-evel.jpg
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by No Agenda View Post
    Is there any new information? I guess I'll have to wait for it on Netflix.
    Yeah they exposed some things that were not known to the public before. Mostly how he really played up some injuries as being worse than they were. His Ceasers Palace jump was played off to the public that he was in a coma for days. When actually he never went into a coma. All to build up his image as a super hero. A hero that almost dies then comes back to life is more exciting to the public than a perfect jump. They faked that he was in a coma for 23 days. Some other stuff was revealed as well that wasn't in previous documentaries. Oh also that with the rocket jump they think he purposly pulled the parachute
    prematurely as a publicity stunt. It was always
    thought it was a mechanical malfunction. Keep an
    eye out on the Discovery channel for repeat plays.
    I know it's being showed again in a half hour.
    10:10 p.m. mountain time. New exclusive footage never shown also.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm all over this on the West Coast. I met Evel once in Butte, America.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Front Range, Colorado
    Funny you posred that toy CHUM. That was his biggest money maker and his biggest downfall financially. When some guy wrote a book about Evil and insulted him in the book. Evil went over and beat the crap out of him with a baseball bat. He went to jai for six months and Matel the toy company pulled his toy contract. That's when he went bankrupt and lost his super hero reputation. And nobody would sponsor anymore big spectacular jumps.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

banned
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Funny you posred that toy CHUM. That was his biggest money maker and his biggest downfall financially. When some guy wrote a book about Evil and insulted him in the book. Evil went over and beat the crap out of him with a baseball bat. He went to jai for six months and Matel the toy company pulled his toy contract. That's when he went bankrupt and lost his super hero reputation. And nobody would sponsor anymore big spectacular jumps.
    Fancy that, he could have made some real dough if he had just starred in his own documentaries.

Front Range, Colorado
    Fancy that, he could have made some real dough if he had just starred in his own documentaries.
    He made 60 million dollars over his career. How huge of money is that in the 1970's and he spent it all. He also broke 400 bones throughout his career, of course most were repeat breaks.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    I'm all over this on the West Coast. I met Evel once in Butte, America.
    I also grew up in Idaho. I begged my parents incessantly to take me to the Snake River jump. I had them willing to at least think about it, but then news started coming in that Hell's Angels, hippies and partiers from around the country were showing up and wild times were happening in the town of Twin Falls and the area surrounding the jump. My parents said, no way. It was perhaps the great disappointment of my childhood.

banned
    Aug 2011
    He made 60 million dollars over his career. How huge of money is that in the 1970's and he spent it all. He also broke 400 bones throughout his career, of course most were repeat breaks.
    So, you are saying he would be eligible for Obamacare?

banned
    Aug 2011
    I also grew up in Idaho. I begged my parents incessantly to take me to the Snake River jump. I had them willing to at least think about it, but then news started coming in that Hell's Angels, hippies and partiers from around the country were showing up and wild times were happening in the town of Twin Falls and the area surrounding the jump. My parents said, no way. It was perhaps the great disappointment of my childhood.
    My parents said the same thing when I asked to go to Pro Wrestling matches.

help with the zip please
    It is reported that he has said "I made $60 million in my career, but spent $62 million"

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    It is reported that he has said "I made $60 million in my career, but spent $62 million"
    He had major IRS debt and lost everything. See what booze and woman will get ya.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Well, the show just finished up on the West Coast. Not very good, but certainly better than a Ancient Aliens.

Front Range, Colorado
    Well, the show just finished up on the West Coast. Not very good, but certainly better than a Ancient Aliens.
    Thanks SD I built this thing up like it was the next Van Halen reunion and you tear it down to Ancient Aliens level in one post. Great!
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks SD I built this thing up like it was the next Van Halen reunion and you tear it down to Ancient Aliens level in one post. Great!
    Well, I've seen all the other Evel docs, so I'm hard to impress.

Front Range, Colorado
    So, you are saying he would be eligible for Obamacare?
    He would have been the Obamacare poster child.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Front Range, Colorado
    I also grew up in Idaho. I begged my parents incessantly to take me to the Snake River jump. I had them willing to at least think about it, but then news started coming in that Hell's Angels, hippies and partiers from around the country were showing up and wild times were happening in the town of Twin Falls
    and the area surrounding the jump. My parents
    said, no way. It was perhaps the great
    disappointment of my childhood.
    Yep that Snake River Rocket jump was a huge disaster in who showed up to watch it. As you said all bikers and hippies. They tore the place apart and Evil had no way of backing out of it. They were on the verge of rioting and if he did they would have killed him.

I remember that jump I was 13 years old and Evil was larger than life. I was totally in to dirt bikes by that time and Evil was my idol. My early dirt bike days I lived to jump and ride wheelies. All my friends had motorcycles as well and that was our thing. Who could jump the farthest and ride a wheelie the farthest.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Meatbomb
    His son Robbie was a major douche!

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    His son Robbie was a major douche!
    Was? Or still is.
    He tried following in Evels footsteps by going out and doing jump demonstrations. Problem was [is] he was riding a modern and modified 13" travel motocross bike. Hmmm slightly different a rocketship weighing 200L.B. with that kind of suspension travel. Evel did it on 650 L.B. slow 6" travel bikes.

So Robbie was out there jumping gaps that were a common distance for anybody riding a motocross bike in todays era could do. Plus most of those guys are throwing down multiple mid air tricks. Robbie was jumping straight head on like his dad. When I was riding I was pulling 100' gaps with a modern motocross bike. Robbie Knievel made an ass of himself putting on huge jump show's and not delivering anything different. When his dad Evel jumped there were much lighter 2 stroke 7" & 8" travel dirt bikes available but his weapons of choice were heavy short travel Triumphs & Harleys

Although I must say Robbie has a similar crash technique as his fathers.

Robbie on his high tech 13" travel MX bike 2011'

Evel at Ceasers Palace 1967' On a 67' Triumph 6" travel 650 L.B. bike.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 10-15-2013 at 11:11 AM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

meh... whatever
    Was? Or still is.
    He tried following in Evels footsteps by going out and doing jump demonstrations. Problem was [is] he was riding a modern and modified 13" travel motocross bike. Hmmm slightly different a rocketship weighing 200L.B. with that kind of suspension travel. Evel did it on 650 L.B. slow 6" travel bikes.

So Robbie was out there jumping gaps that were a common distance for anybody riding a motocross bike in todays era could do. Plus most of those guys are throwing down multiple mid air tricks. Robbie was jumping straight head on like his dad. When I was riding I was pulling 100' gaps with a modern motocross bike. Robbie Knievel made an ass of himself putting on huge jump show's and not delivering anything different. When his dad Evel jumped there were much lighter 2 stroke 7" & 8" travel dirt bikes available but his weapons of choice were heavy short travel Triumphs & Harleys

Although I must say Robbie has a similar crash technique as his fathers.
    agreed. can generally see better jumps at indoor stadium events than robbie does at his shows.

kinda looks to me like robbie just bailed rather than crashed, doesn't it? perhaps the straw bales were coming up too quickly??? a decent moto rider could've easily pulled out of that little wobble.

and what the heck was grizzly adams doing at robbies jump?!?!?!?
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    agreed. can generally see better jumps at indoor stadium events than robbie does at his shows.

kinda looks to me like robbie just bailed rather than crashed, doesn't it? perhaps the straw bales were coming up too quickly??? a decent moto
    rider could've easily pulled out of that little
    wobble.

and what the heck was grizzly adams doing at
    robbies jump?!?!?!?
    Was that Grizzly?
    I'm going to dig out some old photos of myself
    jumping 100' gaps. Almost anybody that grew up riding MX can pull these jumps off with todays bikes. I was doing it on an 89' YZ 250 WR. And todays bikes are even better. Robbies bike was highly modified in suspension and power to weight savings.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast