mtbr member
    Sep 2010

November 22, 1963.

How many of us were alive and conscious enough then to understand what had happened on that day? I was 11 years old, and my teacher, Miss Goodman, came into the classroom after recess. She was crying.
    She choked down the tears and gave us the news. I was just a kid, but even so, I was shocked. I knew this was a big deal.

I know it's late in the day, 10:30pm PST, but it's still relevant. I've been busy today, but I've been thinking about that day, 50 years ago, on and off all day.

I also remember watching the funeral and seeing JFK Jr., in his shorts, saluting the hearse as his father was driven by. I was 6 or 7 years older than him, and I remember thinking, "what a brave little kid"!

JFK had been in San Diego the day before, and had given a speech at San Diego State College. They re-read that speech yesterday, at the same time and place that he gave it, 50 years ago.

So, who else was around and remembers it?
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    I was also 7yo on that day and in my 2nd grade classroom.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I had just turned five and was in kindergarten. I was there in the morning and when I got home, the news was all over the radio. They just kept repeating "the President has been shot" in between various reports from the scene. That's a day you just don't forget. Where you were, and what you were doing. I can't think of a single more significant event that has occurred in my lifetime. The assassinations of MLK and RFK would be next in line though.

The two words I would use for myself would be "innocence lost"

Front Range, Colorado
    I was 2 years old but I swear I have a memory of it. Some say I'm crazy but I swear I do. I remember the television going and my parent't glued to it and upset.

Funny thing is I couldn't tell you what happened just last week.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mighty sailin' man
    I find myself mixing the memory of Bobby's death with John's. For John I thought I remembered some of the TV images and my mother crying the first real cry I ever heard from her.
    After thinking harder I realized the memory of her crying was in a different house than we lived at John's passing, had to be Bobby
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

re member
    I was also 2, well, 1.5 to be exact. I have no recollections of that particular event.

I do remember Apollo space launches though, from the sixties. Sometimes I could see the night launches from our house.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

High Desert MTBer
    I was playing in a cricket match in England, and they stopped the game to tell us about it... Even that far away the effects were felt.
    It's all Here. Now.

human dehumidifier
    I was two and my sister almost one. I remember us playing in the floor with the funeral procession on the TV. Or at least I think I do, time has a funny way of messing with memories.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    I was two and my sister almost one. I remember us playing in the floor with the funeral procession on the TV. Or at least I think I do, time has a funny way of messing with memories.
    Yep I was the same age and remember it the same as you. But as you said I'm not positive that memory is real.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Yep I was the same age and remember it the same as you. But as you said I'm not positive that memory is real.
    I have one memory like that, which must have been when I was 2 years old. That's when my dad's time with the CIA was up, and he was temporarily stationed in Florida. The memory is of brilliant lightning, behind the
    outline of buildings that could only have been navy housing structures. Dark sky, brilliant lightning.

A very clear memory of which I have no idea on my own where it came from, but my mom told me that we lived there for less than a year, and that there were frequent storms around there with lots of lightning.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.