Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

New Rider, First post, pedal question

Hey guys. I'm new to the mountain bike world. I just bought a trek marlin 6, 17.5. I like the bike but want to upgrade the pedal. It came with the standard plastic pedals. I don't know anything really. I know there are pedals that you can clip into with the right shoes. I will be doing mostly single track type riding. I feel like having to clip in and out of a pedal would be very hard to do. You guys with experience what pedals do you like for trail riding? I saw some that work as flats or clip in (they are basically clip in's with a broad cage to rest your foot on, so if you wanted to ride unclipped you could). Those could be a good option, I just have no idea which route to go and want to stick with what I buy even after I get more advanced. I'll never be doing really fast racing so speed isn't a big goal of mine, but I hope as I grow in experience to tackle more advanced trails so a good solid foundation that I can't accidentally slip off is necessary. However I don't want to have to clip out of attachment to my bike every time I want to put my foot down. I might if it's easier than I'm thinking it is. Anyway, sorry for going on and on. Basically I'm just wondering what you guys have found work well. Thanks

Fat-tired Roadie
    People have holy wars about this topic. Click around a bit - I'm sure some are raging right now.

Bottom line is that good flats work well and getting in and out of clipless pedals is pretty easy. IME, most pedals that try to compromise between the approaches don't do a good job.

I think you should learn to ride your trails and bunny hop on flats. Then if you're curious, try clipless and go with whatever you find you like better.

FWIW, I prefer clipless.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

official eMpTyBRain
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

All this harmonica stuff
    Damn a bike-question thread? This site is losing touch w/ reality.
    I like Sand - I don't like Witches.

Front Range, Colorado
    Or you could just avoid years of hassle and avoid all the crappy pedals and buy the best to start with. You know avoid the middleman so to speak. In the end you'll want the best anyway just start out with the best and be done with it. Years of happy hassle free riding can be had with just a click of a mouse. Time and Time again people end up with Time.

Get Time ATAC pedals and SIDI Dominator shoes and be done with it.

Seriously!

Sorry Hawg I couldn't help myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Rider, First post, pedal question-image.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

DFMBA.org

Re: New Rider, First post, pedal question

Quote Originally Posted by aleksfoxtrot View Post
    Hey guys. I'm new to the mountain bike world. I just bought a trek marlin 6, 17.5. I like the bike but want to upgrade the pedal. It came with the standard plastic pedals. I don't know anything really. I know there are pedals that you can clip into with the right shoes. I will be doing mostly single track type riding. I feel like having to clip in and out of a pedal would be very hard to do. You guys with experience what pedals do you like for trail riding? I saw some that work as flats or clip in (they are basically clip in's with a broad cage to rest your foot on, so if you wanted to ride unclipped you could). Those could be a good option, I just have no idea which route to go and want to stick with what I buy even after I get more advanced. I'll never be doing really fast racing so speed isn't a big goal of mine, but I hope as I grow in experience to tackle more advanced trails so a good solid foundation that I can't accidentally slip off is necessary. However I don't want to have to clip out of attachment to my bike every time I want to put my foot down. I might if it's easier than I'm thinking it is. Anyway, sorry for going on and on. Basically I'm just wondering what you guys have found work well. Thanks
    I would suggest learning to ride with flats or toe clips first and get used to the bike and mountain biking in general before committing to clipless. Clipping out (also called 'unclipping') is not an inconvenience at all. It becomes second nature and you unclip without even thinking about it. Some riders never migrate to clipless pedals because it's all personal preference so don't think of clipless as a progression. I also ride clipless, fwiw.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    are the PD M324's only one sided? If I do go clipless I think I'd like to clip in from either side of the pedal

Front Range, Colorado
    So is this a serious thread Mr. OP?
    If so just start out with Time ATAC clipless and call me in ten years and let me know how good and reliable that same set of pedals is working out for ya.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    lol. Yeah it's serious. I want reliable and I don't mind paying for it. It's just a decision of clipless or flat at this point. All of you have been helpful at giving me information and pointing me in the right direction. I'm probably not going to really know until I give them both a try. I like the idea of learning the bike on flats and then going clipless once I begin to learn what I'm doing.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Shimano, sold in every bike shop on the planet as well as replacement cleats. Make it easy on yourself.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I like Time ATACs.

I don't think toe clips have any place on a mountain bike. Not in a world of choice. Nice on a commuter, though.

Front Range, Colorado
    lol. Yeah it's serious. I want reliable and I don't mind paying for it. It's just a decision of clipless or flat at this point. All of you have been helpful at giving me information and pointing me in the right direction. I'm probably not going to really know until I give them both a try. I like the idea of learning the bike on flats and then going clipless once I begin to learn what I'm doing.
    I completely disagree with learning on flats then going to clipless. By doing so your not going to give clipless the length of time to learn. Your going to get fed up and revert back to platforms. Learn on clipless and "most likely" you'll always ride clipless. Clipless have a learning curve but once you learn them they become second nature. Most riders that hate clipless learned on platforms then later on tried clipless. They became so used to platforms that learning clipless was very foreign and they didn't give them enough time to get over that feeling. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with platforms but if you think you will like to try clipless start out the learning process by starting out clipless. Then once you've mastered them and you must then try platforms.

I know it's hard to take me seriously seeing how I go by Turtle Man of the west. But trust me that's just a temporary inside joke.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Perpetual n00b
    How busy are your trail systems?
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I like Time ATACs.

I don't think toe clips have any place on a mountain bike. Not in a world of choice. Nice on a commuter, though.
    Wrong.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Teasing.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

Fat-tired Roadie
    I was wondering which part I was wrong about.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    dgw2jr: far as traffic or obstacles? Traffic, depends I have a lot of property to ride on that has no traffic whatsoever, but there are some off road places that on the weekends are busy with trucks, ATVs and dirtbikes, as well as bicycles. obstacles, I live in Georgia, so they can be pretty busy with fallen trees, roots, loose rocks. Sorry, like I said, I'm pretty new to this; so please forgive the lack of terminology understanding. Grade me on a curve.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by tiretracks View Post
    Shimano, sold in every bike shop on the planet as well as replacement cleats. Make it easy on yourself.
    Same with Time and less moving parts make them last forever.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Meatbomb
    don't forget to get the clipless 'socks' to go along with your shoes

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I completely disagree with learning on flats then going to clipless. By doing so your not going to give clipless the length of time to learn. Your going to get fed up and revert back to platforms. Learn on clipless and "most likely" you'll always ride clipless. Clipless have a learning curve but once you learn them they become second nature. Most riders that hate clipless learned on platforms then later on tried clipless. They became so used to platforms that learning clipless was very foreign and they didn't give them enough time to get over that feeling. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with platforms but if you think you will like to try clipless start out the learning process by starting out clipless. Then once you've mastered them and you must then try platforms.

I know it's hard to take me seriously seeing how I go by Turtle Man of the west. But trust me that's just a temporary inside joke.
    Well then some Shimano clipless might be the way to go then. I can get them for around 50 bucks plus the shoe, have about 120 invested. Those Time ATACs are a little too much for my budget. I do like the climbing help I'll get with the clipless, being able to pull up instead of only push down.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    don't forget to get the clipless 'socks' to go along with your shoes
    First thing I thought of also. But I figured let's just go with it and amuse him.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    First thing I thought of also. But I figured let's just go with it and amuse him.
    ???

Front Range, Colorado
    ???
    No worries..

Well then some Shimano clipless might be the way to go then. I can get them for around 50 bucks plus the shoe, have about 120 invested. Those Time ATACs are a little too much for my budget. I do like the climbing help I'll get with the clipless, being able to pull up instead of only push down.
    You can get the TIme ATAC aluminum versions for under $100 bucks. Same design same dependability same easy clip in clip out just a bit cheaper due to them being aluminum and not carbon and titanium. Trust me I have a set of aluminums that I ran for 8 years without an issue. They're still going strong but are retired due to my upgrade to the pricier ones.
    http://www.amazon.com/Time-Aliuminum.../dp/B001PTAO8I
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    No worries..

You can get the TIme ATAC aluminum versions for under $100 bucks. Same design same dependability same easy clip in clip out just a bit cheaper due to them being aluminum and not carbon and titanium. Trust me I have a set of aluminums that I ran for 8 years without an issue. They're still going strong but are retired due to my upgrade to the pricier ones.
    Amazon.com : Time Aliuminum ATAC Mountain Pedals : Bike Pedals : Sports & Outdoors
    Thanks for that brother. I'll look into it. might get them friday. kinda ran the account low on the new bike. lol

BTW what about mud and dirt? If I am riding in muddy wet conditions, can the mud get packed into the cleat or the pedal and prevent clipping in?

Front Range, Colorado
    Thanks for that brother. I'll look into it. might get them friday. kinda ran the account low on the new bike. lol
    I hear ya and you won't be sorry.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast