clown question, bro

Naming snowstorms

When did this start? I don't remember the practice prior to this winter. WTF?

And every time I hear anything about the storm that's hitting the northeast today, I want to crack a Finding Nemo joke. Couldn't they think of a better name for a blizzard? Winter Storm Skullf**ker, perhaps?

These are the things I think about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

mtbr member

Re: Naming snowstorms

Quote Originally Posted by zeppy View Post
    When did this start? I don't remember the practice prior to this winter. WTF?

And every time I hear anything about the storm that's hitting the northeast today, I want to crack a Finding Nemo joke. Couldn't they think of a better name for a blizzard? Winter Storm Skullf**ker, perhaps?

These are the things I think about.
    Was wondering the same thing. They have to make a big production out of something to keep people watching I guess.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    This blizzard was sponsored by Disney. Wait until next year's Bambi. Hell is going to rage in the form of wet, white powder.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    Was wondering the same thing. They have to make a big production out of something to keep people watching I guess.
    Yep. If the storm has a name, viewers can make an emotional connection. CNN and the Weather Channel can flash the name across the screen. Viewership goes up. Statistics tell networks what to do. It's a media thing.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

High Desert MTBer
    I think I might start naming my rides... not as in the routes I take, just the ride as a whole... Today I think shall be... ERMINTRUDE!!!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Yep. If the storm has a name, viewers can make an emotional connection. CNN and the Weather Channel can flash the name across the screen. Viewership goes up. Statistics tell networks what to do. It's a media thing.
    Bingo,
    except it's not a media thing, it's a money thing, just another example of a marionette government bought and paid for by big money thing.
    Round and round we go

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Naming snowstorms

So cynical.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

clown question, bro
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    So cynical.
    Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Naming snowstorms

I better get out of bed then.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    So cynical.
    Maybe for a mtb site, but otherwise not. Just takes some much longer to realize or care about what's going on right before them.
    Think us humans were doing pretty good with just referring to snow storms as the storm of '78 and such. BTW, the weather channel was totally behind naming this storm. The National Weather Service only names hurricanes and tropical storms. I mean how many storms of the century can we have? Does it storm anymore or does it "super storm" now? It's a gimmick, just like the commercials in between that they're selling airtime for. I follow weather, and TWC is the worst. They regularly use whicheva computer model predicts the worst outcome and sell it lock stock and barrel. That's not cynical, that's fact.
    Too bad, having more weather info available should help many people big time, but when it's motivated by profit/ratings/viewership, and not accuracy, lol, might as well just watch the commercials.
    Last edited by theMeat; 02-09-2013 at 12:38 PM.
    Round and round we go

Gnarly
    Snow storms are inspiring a blizzard of sex ads in Craigslist personals
    "I want to get plowed harder than your driveway," and "I'm disease-free and recently tested; I'm as real as this storm."

NSFW
    new york all personals classifieds "nemo" - craigslist
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Here in SoCal we just had the No Big Deal storm.