Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,500 of 2718
    Ride More, Work Less
    Rush -

I was pleasantly surprised that was watchable. I made me want to dust off Gran Turismo and get my race grove on.

9 lives
    The Hunger Games...excellent
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    Godzilla

Not to bad in the beginning but I got very frustrated towards the end. It got really stupid and you couldn't even see what was going on half the time as it was set at night and in the rain. Couldn't they afford the FX so had to hide it in gloominess?

Transformers 4: Age of Extinction.

Wish Michael Bay would become extinct. That was the worse film I have seen for a very long time... I just read that Bay is leaving the Transformers franchise so perhaps there is hope for Transformers 5?

Bottom line, I need to avoid "blockbusters" and find some quality films to watch. That reminds me that it's the twentieth anniversary of the Shawshank Redemption. I need to dig that out of the collection and watch that. Greatest film of all time?
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 11-07-2014 at 01:02 PM.

EMBA Member
    Just watched Alien again.

After it came out in 1979, I hadn't heard anything about it yet. I came home from work to a dark and empty house around midnight one night, switched on HBO (which was only one channel back then), and happened upon the opening credits of this movie. I was frozen to my seat until the movie ended. Had to turn on all the lights in the house, and I'll admit it, I looked under the bed and in the closet for monsters. There was no way I could have gone to sleep otherwise. Scared the beejesus out of me. Seeing it again, it still is a tense and freaky movie, even all these years later. One of the best scary monster movies ever made, IMO.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post

Bottom line, I need to avoid "blockbusters" and find some quality films to watch. That reminds me that it's the twentieth anniversary of the Shawshank Redemption. I need to dig that out of the collection and watch that. Greatest film of all time?
    I think there's a general inverse relationship between movie quality and production/marketing budget. The higher the budget the worse the movie. I'm thinking that a big budget leads to lazy movie making. Rather than relying on a solid script, skillful cinematography and acting, a big budget favors big name actors, CGI, action and explosions. Of course there's always exceptions. Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael Bay films are pretty much banned from my eyes.

Another relationship I've noticed is that the higher the sequel number the crappier the movie. I wouldn't hold my breath on Transformers 5.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

^^ Can't disagree with any of that.

That said, I'm look forward to Interstellar this month and Jupiter Ascending in February. That's mega budget, mega FX but hopefully the Wachowskis brothers can pull of this Epic.

I didn't do it
    Interstellar looks to be very good, I'm also looking forward to it - big budget and all.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Maleficent. We purchased it on DVD.

9 lives
    We're going to see Interstellar today
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

oh my TVC 15
    Just got back from "Fury". Hate to admit it, but I'm a pretty big fan of Brad Pitt's acting. His character in Fury is very believable. Makes me appreciate the sacrifice of my wife's grandfather and uncle in WW2.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

9 lives
    Just back from Interstellar. I was very, very impressed with this one- it merits its comparison to Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey and manages to accomplish a lot of what it sets out to do. It lays out a lot of the rules for space travel and relativity, and convincingly lays out a very bleak picture to necessitate the need to ensure the survival of the species. And when was the last time that a movie really understood some of the mechanics of time when it comes to space travel? The original Planet of the Apes, maybe?

Beware it's 3 hours long so you need to go on an empty bladder or time your pee breaks accordingly BTW Most of the movie is devoted to exposition... the special effects are great but there are several key moments. John Lithgow explains things. Then Michael Caine explains things. Then Anne Hathaway explains things. Finally, once we're in the third act, Jessica Chastain starts explaining things. ... you don't want to leave yours seats . And remember an hour in Interstellar is like seven years for your bladder
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Just back from Interstellar. I was very, very impressed with this one- it merits its comparison to Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey and manages to accomplish a lot of what it sets out to do. It lays out a lot of the rules for space travel and relativity, and convincingly lays out a very bleak picture to necessitate the need to ensure the survival of the species. And when was the last time that a movie really understood some of the mechanics of time when it comes to space travel? The original Planet of the Apes, maybe?

Beware it's 3 hours long so you need to go on an empty bladder or time your pee breaks accordingly BTW Most of the movie is devoted to exposition... the special effects are great but there are several key moments. John Lithgow explains things. Then Michael Caine explains things. Then Anne Hathaway explains things. Finally, once we're in the third act, Jessica Chastain starts explaining things. ... you don't want to leave yours seats . And remember an hour in Interstellar is like seven years for your bladder
    I heard it was good. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I'm just messing with you
    John Lithgow explains things. Then Michael Caine explains things. Then Anne Hathaway explains things. Finally, once we're in the third act, Jessica Chastain starts explaining things. ... you don't want to leave yours seats . And remember an hour in Interstellar is like seven years for your bladder
    Matthew McConaghey explains things <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/U7X1ntOgL70?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

live long and huck
    Y'all watch Moon. Simple, but good.

I didn't do it

This all sounds very promising. I noticed that its playing at the local theater.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Y'all watch Moon. Simple, but good.
    This? Moon (2009) - IMDb Somehow, I've never heard of that one.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

9 lives
    I'm not a fan of Anne Hathaway or Matthew McConaughey but I thought they were both pretty good. I won't give any spoilers (there are a few surprises) and the movie certainly gives you alot to chew on.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    This? Moon (2009) - IMDb Somehow, I've never heard of that one.
    Yes, that's the one. Very good IMO. It snuck through under the radar. I feel that much quality scifi is not appreciated by the masses, therefore it often goes unrecognized. Society wants tits and ass and explosions. Oh, and drugs and vulgarity and violence. Not that I don't mind a bit of that myself, but there are much subtler ways to tell a very quality story. Although I enjoyed watching them and consider them a great entertaining escape, IMO a few of the stupidest movies that I have seen are the F&F's, the last few Transformers, Iron Man and the Avengers flirt with stupidity.

I like to think about what I just watched. Dream House with Daniel Craig is another good one.

live long and huck
    I'm not a fan of Anne Hathaway or Matthew McConaughey but I thought they were both pretty good. I won't give any spoilers (there are a few surprises) and the movie certainly gives you alot to chew on.
    I am looking forward to Interstellar, as well as Jupiter Rising.

I like to think about what I just watched. Dream House with Daniel Craig is another good one.
    Ditto. Thanks for the tips

Saw Big Hero 6 with the family on Saturday. It's a good film and the animation is just incredible. Suffice to say it is not Frozen (though that's good as well). It's much more serious with some dark undertones but it balances that well with comic relief. Sure some of the "tech" get silly in the end but I didn't care as the story is strong and my kids (8 and 11) loved it.

EMBA Member
    Interstellar. Lots of talking and explaining, some great special effects. I suspected a lot as the movie progressed, and wasn't disappointed. I'd much prefer a different actor in the Anne Hathaway role, but besides that, it was well cast. Matt Damon has a nice meaty supporting role. Recommended.

9 lives
    Chappie: This looks very promising for 2015

The next Neill Blomkamp film. Hugh Jackman, South Africa, Die Antwoord and memories of Short Circuit... cool
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

****** to the dirt

The next Neill Blomkamp film. Hugh Jackman, South Africa, Die Antwoord and memories of Short Circuit... cool
    That looks a lot better than district 9.

I watched ski patrol yesterday. Let the ski season begin.
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    That looks a lot better than district 9.

I watched ski patrol yesterday. Let the ski season begin.
    Had to laugh though in District 9 when the guy shyt his pants, then there's a surprise party waiting for him at home.

banned
    Jul 2014
    Interstellar

Not a usual Christopher Nolan film. It is epic, has a sharp-eyed view of the future, and characters with real human emotions. I really like this ambitious, thought-provoking, uplifting film.

Afric Pepperbird
    Night Moves

Perhaps not my favorite Kelly Reichardt film (Old Joy; Wendy and Lucy; Meeks Cutoff), but still great, nonetheless.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Saw Dumb and dumber to today. Not as good as the first one but it still had some moments that had the entire audience rolling in deafening laughter.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Saw Dumb and dumber to today. Not as good as the first one but it still had some moments that had the entire audience rolling in deafening laughter.
    Was this opening weekend for it. Looks pretty funny but probably wait untl it leaves the theaters.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Was this opening weekend for it. Looks pretty funny but probably wait untl it leaves the theaters.
    Early reports are that is sucked in 38 million already.

gone walk about
    john wick

gone walk about
    yup i'll be seeing this.

****** to the dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    john wick
    anyh good
    My Blog

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    any good
    mmmm so so IMO, lots of action though.

High Desert MTBer
    Birdman... Amazing film. Michael Keaton is incredible, and the rest of the cast are as good. Well worth seeing. Emma Stone's eyes are something else...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Monster, that girl was crazy and mean.

mtbr member
    I just watched this good mystery:
    Columbus Circle (2012) - IMDb

And I recently watched this crummy B movie that seems to be rated 7 out of 10 on it and I can't figure out why:
    Snowpiercer (2013) - IMDb

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia. A classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Early reports are that is sucked in 38 million already.
    As in the movie sucked or it managed to suck in that much on opening weekend.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Dallas Buyers Club. Amazing movie.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^ Watched it a couple of weeks ago. Yes it
    was a real good movie.

Maaaaan
    Fury.
    Excellent movie, but not for the faint of heart. Very realistic.
    The Tanks were all real, including the German Tiger I. They used tanks in the Bovington Tank Museum in England, so the sounds etc are all real.

This is one of the Tanks actually used in the movie.

Communist Party Member Since 1917.

9 lives
    The Longest Yard (2005) remake with Adam Sandler just didn't have the charm or edge of the original
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

That makes me smart
    Watched Homefront, with Jason Statham last night. There's a couple of good fight scenes in it, but the way they shot them these days, all choppy, you can barely tell what's going on.

Just a.nother Statham flick. I've seen worse.
    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

mtnbkrmike

A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

Hi There!
    "Nightcrawler" was really good, Jake Gyllenhaal was the man for the job in that movie for sure.

Had "The Asphalt Jungle" on the dvr so finally watched that, very good. Had Sterling Hayden in it who is one of my favorite actors, and an interesting guy in real life too. You want to see a great old crime drama check out his "The Killing".
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    ^ Watched it a couple of weeks ago. Yes it
    was a real good movie.
    Matthew McConaughey lost a lot of weight for that role but got an Oscar in return. He stated never to do that kind of weight loss again. It was a relief to see a real good film again after the flood of crud the past year.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by thegweed View Post
    "Nightcrawler" was really good, Jake Gyllenhaal was the man for the job in that movie for sure.

Had "The Asphalt Jungle" on the dvr so finally watched that, very good. Had Sterling Hayden in it who is one of my favorite actors, and an interesting guy in real life too. You want to see a great old crime drama check out his "The Killing".
    The Killing is excellent. Some might be surprised to know that its an early Kubrick movie.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

I finally took time to watch "The Road", kind of slow, kind of sad, but all in all a good movie

"I knew this was coming; this or something like it. There were warnings. Some people thought it was a con. I always believed in it. "

The Road (2009) - IMDb

Meatbomb
    Man on Fire

Just had to suffer flying to the UK and back. In the copious hours on the plane I sat through:

X-Men: Days of Future Past - Okay. Better than many of that ilk, but not having watched all of the X-men series, parts of it left me confused.

Edge of Tomorrow (or Live Die Repeat if you want the new name for it) - I thought this was very good, ultimately beaten out by Guardians of the Galaxy for viewing entertainment.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Brilliant, fun, best film of the trip.

Noah - I'm not religious and had high hopes and thought the bad reviews were from religious folks that didn't like its storytelling but it was awful.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - entertaining enough but average, predictable and silly. Marvel fans would love it though.

mtbr member
    A Christmas Story... is playing right now.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    A Christmas Story... is playing right now.
    "You'll shoot your eye out kid".

You'll Shoot Your Eye Out | A Christmas Story | TBS - YouTube
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Uncle Buck.

EMBA Member
    The Hunger Games-Catching Fire

Lots of talking, lots of tears, depression, PTSD, brain washing, war crimes. Follows the book. I expect part 2 will be more watchable.

Brackish

Re: Name the last movie you watched

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, I see something new in it every year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Black Sheep

9 lives
    Children of Men (2006) I`ve seen it before and enjoyed it. Based on P.D. James` book (She recently died)
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Ho'lier than thou
    I found my long lost copy of "Trial and Error" so I watched it. Made me fall in love with Chalize Theron (or the character she played) all over again.

Can't believe the movie is from 17 years ago.... made me feel old.

mtbr member
    Spiderman II & Godzilla, both crap

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad ™
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Afric Pepperbird
    Inside Llewyn Davis

The first Coen brothers film I have seen since No Country For Old Men. It is thoroughly enjoyable and highly recommended!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^that was a great movie.

Name the last movie you watched

Children of Men (2006) I`ve seen it before and enjoyed it. Based on P.D. James` book (She recently died)
    Good film. Very under rated I believe. Certainly not a feel good movie though....

gone walk about

terminator genisys

yep heeeeeeeeeee's baaaaaaaaack!! trailer due out tomorrow.

9 lives
    White Oleander (2002) about a girl in foster care and how easy it can be for children to slip though the cracks, face neglect or abuse. not my usual choice of story but I thought the acting was very good
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    fury - not going to win oscars but entertaining with plenty of gore. Jon Bernthal did a great job playing his role.

****** to the dirt
    300 rise of an empire. Liked it but not as good as the first one.
    My Blog

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    yep heeeeeeeeeee's baaaaaaaaack!! trailer due out tomorrow.

^^ That looks like fun but I am worried about the some of the FX in the trailer leading me to suspect that they may focus on "action" over story (flipping bus for the example). Yeah, yeah I know it's an action film, but you can still have action with believable physics....

****** to the dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    The comments on youtube are like every one has seen the movie already. They are judging it even before it comes out.
    My Blog

Binned
    Nov 2008
    I did not know that cybernetic organisms were capable of aging. Young Arnold, meet OLD Arnold...

Prometheus (2012) - IMDb

It's rare to find something that has no redeeming quality, but "Prometheus" pulls it off.

mtbr member
    Gremlins... Always a Christmas classic.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les Misérables

My wife recently bought Gremlins 2, which is my favorite of the series.

Gremlin #1: [repeated phrase while on telephone in stock exchange] BUY! BUY! BUY!
    Gremlin #2: [repeated phrase while on telephone in stock exchange] SELL! SELL! SELL!
    Brain Gremlin: [on telephone] Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotgun shells.

The Gremlins movies were my daughter's addiction at about age 3 or so. All day long, every day. If you've got children you know what I mean.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    That last movie I watched?? Well, Frozen, but before that I watched Frozen and then Frozen one more time. That was Sunday, but the day before that we only saw Frozen twice which was a better day for me....

Exactly. Frozen was playing at my MIL's over Thanksgiving, and it's just another of the same movie that Disney should be ashamed of replicating over and over. I was lucky, the soppiest of the bunch I had to deal with back then was "The little mermaid".

I liked the Gremlins movies, and another one I remember her binging on is "The Jungle Book", which ab-so-lutely rocks IMO, but it's also almost as old as I am.

Arthur Christmas. Fantastic Christmas film for kids and adults alike.

I think I like it so much because I'm becoming a bit of a Grand Santa myself. Lol.

mtbr member
    wv_bob, Perfect time of year for Gremlins, it's a Christmas movie after all. My sister was/is a super disney fan, she has every available VHS copy of the 'toon movies and The Jungle Book is so worn that the tracking has to be adjusted many times during the movie, which as you might imagine gets quite annoying.

I recently watched Snowpiercer, better than I thought it could be and a number of recognizable actors, more than I would've thought for a straight to stream movie.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Planes (supposed to be with the little guy)

I was actually quite intrigued with the realism and accuracy of actual aviation communication, and flight physics! The sounds of the individual aircraft was pretty good too. The engine of the F4U sounded accurate, as well as other flight sounds!

mtbr member
    Edge of Tomorrow - pretty solid flick ^^ didn't really develop the male/female thing enough - pretty hard for an action film... 3.5 stars

Sig:
    Opinions are like A-holes... everybody has one & they're usually full of...??
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Watched "American Hustle", free on Encore last night. It was OK, but it's not "The Sting". There were some sympathetc characters though - Jeremy Renner as the mayor had the best role and did a good job with it IMO.

mtbr member
    I just watched Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (2014) - IMDb

Not as good as the first one but not bad. More like a continuation of the stories plus a new story.

Rod
    mtbr member
    The Hunger Games...excellent
    Agreed. That's what I was going to post. I've watched the newest movie twice.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    I saw Nightcrawler (2014) - IMDb last weekend. It was pretty good. He's a real sociopath.

9 lives
    Watched on tv: Spawn (1997) horrible

Planning to see Birdman this weekend
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Binned
    Nov 2008
    We saw "The Hobbit: the battle of the 5 armies" this afternoon. Darkest episode of the trilogy.
    Last edited by SCR818; 12-17-2014 at 09:17 PM.

9 lives
    ^ good to know re Hobbit
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Wild, and I really liked it!

Bro
    Content from my avatar

I finally got around to watching Interstellar last week. Meh. It was enjoyable enough, but it also was basically the entire Space Odyssey book series all mashed together into one movie. A couple typical Christopher Nolan plot holes. It was entertaining for the $5 I paid for it, but I don't see what all the hype was about.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

9 lives
    Attended a matinee The Hobbit: The Battle of the 5 Armies. It was solid, and entertaining. For me I rate it 7/10
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Dudette
    I rented Into the Storm. Definitely seemed to play homage to Twister, which I liked better. There was some pretty cool CGI, though and it kept my attention better than some other rentals.
    RideGG, Rideitgrrrl, Cycle-CNY, MTB4Her.com

Brackish

Volcano, what turd.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Interstellar 8.5/10
    Liked every bit of it except for the time paradox part.

Predestination 8/10 paradox galore

Graveyard Shift
    I actually really enjoyed Prometheus and don't understand the backlash.

Most recent was True Grit I think. I have something on whever I'm working on a bike.
    Long is the way, and hard.

The Boat or The Bike?
    We watched Gardians of the Galaxy this weekend. I saw it this summer with my daughter and loved it. It's good stuff. Even the wife liked it. Some smart dry humor tossed in there. I like.
    Live to Fish, now Love to Ride

oh my TVC 15
    Rainman on right now. Good flick.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

banned
    Jun 2007
    Tis the season, and I'm probably the last person to see Bad Santa. Billy Bob Thornton played it well, and I LMFAO.

tap tap tap...

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Tis the season, and I'm probably the last person to see Bad Santa. Billy Bob Thornton played it well, and I LMFAO.

tap tap tap...
    I haven't seen it, just something about Billy Bob that I don't like. Might have been the horrible job he did with Halle Berry in Monsters Ball, she deserved a bit more passion than she got.

banned
    Jun 2007
    ^ Yes, in many ways he really was bad. To me that's what made his role of a shithead-mall rat Santa so perfect.

tap tap tap...

Brackish

Quote Originally Posted by Bike&Fish View Post
    We watched Gardians of the Galaxy this weekend. I saw it this summer with my daughter and loved it. It's good stuff. Even the wife liked it. Some smart dry humor tossed in there. I like.
    Ditto, it really holds up.

mtbr member
    I just watched this Firesign Theater cult classic: J-Men Forever (1979) - IMDb