Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: My Dad.

mtbr member

My Dad.

He's been with my Mom since 1977, that's 37 years. not a day they have been apart. I was 10, he is Her third husband. My Father died when I was 2. my Stepdad died of Cancer when I was 9.
    Dad is 65, though he claims he's 40.

When they met.

My wife ( bless her heart and selflessness) and I have been here at their home (Waldport, OR.) and /or driving between since last Thursday night when he was admitted to Hospital in Corvallis, OR.

A time when we went Catfishing.

same day.

Another time we went Salmon fishing. That one was 45 lbs. ( I might have shown off this pic here before. ) there's a pretty good story on getting that fish in the boat.

My parents, about 10 yrs ago.

This pic is a couple years ago Christmas

From thanksgiving to Christmas there has been a lump growing on his temple... very quickly. I took him for an ultrasound friday after christmas. it was half the size of when we got here last thursday at the hospital.

After the surgery we went to KFC in Corvallis.... Dont eat here unless you're driving an Armored Truck.

They cut him open and removed the Cancer tumor that had metastisized from the Liver cancer that was also just found when trying to figure out what the lump was in the first place.

He's a Die hard Raiders Fan... win lose or draw. " Hey!, Go Raiders " is his catch phrase.
    The Brain Surgeon said that he was going to put a piece of plastic, instead of bone to cover the hole in the skull, and it was made of the same type as Football helmets.. Dad grinned. I told him we were going to put the Raiders logo on it before screwing it down tight.

3 hours he was in surgery from Start to finish. When the Surgeon came to tell us how it gone. He said Dad was awake and flirting with the Nurses. He was discharged the next day. truly amazing. the second day was was the worst. He got up and said he felt like a car hit him.

2 days later ( thursday ) he's sitting next to me while we're watching old Westerns. He loves Westerns and the Knife Show. We've watched the same movie 3 times in the same day.
    We look at each other every now and then and laugh at how the guys die so quick and or the foam boulders and crappy acting.

He's got 31 staples on an 11" cut. (I wont post that pic.

I have to head home on Sunday to work next week. My Amazing wife is going to stay the week and help with rides to the Doc, My Mom is disabled and he has been the Caregiver. My wife is a Godsend for them. I don't know how to thank her properly.. She's at the dining table with a mountain of paperwork getting affairs together.
    I'll be making a bonsai run next weekend to get her back home the following week. We're scheduled to be in NC. first week of Feb. to visit or 6 month old Grandaughter... I haven't met her yet, Facetime doesnt count.

sympathy for society
    *edit.. I misread that, sorry to hear Fishbucket. Best wishes to your father and your family.
    Last edited by sodak; 01-17-2014 at 06:31 AM.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    We had moved from Hayward to Grass Valley 1980- 81 . I gave them fits when I was in my teens. I was a real punk. He tried his best to keep me strait and going in the right direction. But being I knew 'everything' at 15. It eventually landed me up at Shamrock boys Ranch in Susanville.
    Getting over my azzholeyyisum in Susanville learning how to do autobody/ paint work and getting into construction. I would go and Visit them when I could and work on the house doing maintenance, Building sheds, a big front porch and what not. most of the times there involved heading to the gun range. talking reloading or an occasional fishing trip.

10 years ago they moved to OR. Man, Dad had some crap in those sheds. to go thru and load into a U-haul and horse trailer and my truckbed. Did I mention Dad drives like an old lady??
    " Miraculous, Mom would have a fit if she were in the car right now"
    " Boy.. that Miraculous don't mess around"
    Were thing I've heard him say before.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak View Post
    Best wishes to your father and your family.
    Thanks, Truly appreciate it.
    Last edited by Fishbucket; 01-17-2014 at 09:03 AM.
    -Dad

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Here's to a swift recovery!

I build my own.
    Good to hear the surgery went well FB. I wish him well on the rest. Does he have a good prognosis on the liver cancer?
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    no.. not good.
    -Dad

more carbon=more awesome
    That's a nice tribute to a good man Fishbucket.

Around here we say Kia Kaha (Stay strong).
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

pin it
    There is amazing power in your words and pics, FB.

There are good days and there are bad days... thank you for sharing
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

bust a move
    Thanks for sharing your pics and letting us know about your dad. Thoughts and prayers to your family

Glad we can provide some therapy and an outlet for you FB. Great tribute.

Continued prayers to you and yours in this difficult time.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

mtbr member
    Best wishes for your Dad.

mtbr member
    Very nice post. Very nice fish. Best wishes for your pops.
    No fuss with the MUSS

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    oh, FB. I'm so sorry about your parents' health. Your dad sounds like the kind of man that always took care of what he is responsible for and I'm glad you turned yourself around to learn to appreciate that about him and enjoy all that time with him. You could have felt sorry for yourself and never straightened yourself out but you bucked up and met a woman that you obviously respect and love and that is no small feat!

I love real die hard fans. Nothing more annoying than bandwagonners. I'm from Hayward too.

human dehumidifier
    We all have to go, but it's a shame that the good ones often seem to leave too soon.

I hope his remaining time is filled with love and joy.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    So sorry FB. That was a great post. Thank you for sharing and those were some good size cats you guys caught.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    FB, thanks for sharing.

it can be very difficult with aging parents.

stay strong, take care of your health so you can take care of whatever comes.

god bless you and your family!

joel
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

official eMpTyBRain
    Wonderful tribute. My prayers and thoughts go out to him and everyone involved. Your wife is a fantastic!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Best wishes to your Dad. He looks like a pretty awesome person to be around!

re member
    Wishing for the best, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

duh
    Hoping for the best for your dad and your family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing Fishbucket. You're in a tough time right now and you allude to tougher times ahead.

You sound close to one another. If you haven't already done so, tell him how you feel about him and that you love him. Keep him company and continue to crack funnies with him. Enjoy your time with him.
    Get me the knuckles of Frisco..

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    by the way, he has the baddest ass mustache ever.

I didn't do it
    Very nice FB. Your dad seems a like a great guy and there's a lot of love in your words. And your wife is a real godsend. Here's to your father's and mother's health.

Go Raiders!
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Raymond Donald Franklin
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    no.. not good.
    I have a friend who was sentenced 6 months left by a doctor. That was back in 2003 and he's still with us.

Wishing for the best!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast