mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ah, the Indian Pipe -- an organism for the curious:
    indian pipe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    Ah, the Indian Pipe -- an organism for the curious:
    indian pipe
    Thanks Collins...nice explanation in the link....a "parasite to both tree and fungus."...
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

saddlemeat
    My young BC pup Roxie dug me up this truffle. It was way past prime but smelled divine. Hoping she will continue to hunt truffles, too cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mushrooms....Post your pics...-truffle2.jpg  

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-truffle3.jpg  

Making the smack track baby.

mtbr member

Found 3 of these recently....

....any idea what they might be? They are growing at the base of Oak trees.....always thought any mushroom growing off wood was poisonous .....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mushrooms....Post your pics...-image.jpg  

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-image.jpg  

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    These are the excellent chicken-of-the-woods, Laetiporus sulfureus -- but a whitish variety, which is common enough.

Chicken Mushroom
    Sulphur Shelf or Chicken Mushroom (Laetiporus sulphureus) - AmericanMushrooms.com

mtbr member
    Thanks once again Collins....got to go get at least one of the 3....they were still there this morning....

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Jeff, I meant to mention that most mushroom collectors stay away from Laetiporus species that are growing on conifers, because there's testimony that they have led to toxic reactions, possibly due to how the fungus metabolizes the nutrients it gets from the tree. It's one of those rules that seems odd, but as mycologists and mushroom hunters say, "When in doubt, throw it out." And: "There are old hunters, and there are bold hunters; but there are no old bold hunters."

If you don't have one already, you might want to pick up an Audubon guide (or Peterson guide) for mushrooms in your neck of the woods.

mtbr member
    Thanks very much for the deeper explanation and referral for the guide.....Plan to talk with the folks at the National Wildlife Refuge close to where these Hen of the Woods are located. There are a ton of Conifer trees in this area interspersed with Oak. The area has extremely sandy soils left over from the glaciers and were perched above a lake....I decided to hold off on harvesting them for now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I think these are my favorite mushrooms. These were from 2012 -- I posted them here but not sure if they are still around. My wife had the first one printed to a plate of aluminum for me. It hangs in the living room.

They did not come back last year, but appeared again about 2 weeks ago, and growing rapidly. Beware, if anyone "harvests" them, the harvester is likely to disappear

I saw an even larger one. I did not have my camera or cell phone, but hope to get back there and photograph it before it disappears or gets ratty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mushrooms....Post your pics...-chickenofthewoodsmushroom2.jpg  

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-chickofthewoodsmushrooms.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Dennis F --
    Nice foraging there. I can't quite tell by the photo, but I'm pretty sure that yours is a Berkeley's Polypore -- Bondarzewia berkeleyi. It's kindof a lookalike for the Chicken, but is usually much less fragile and often getting large. They both have white spore prints, so distinguishing them is hard at first, if you don't see them side-by-side.... The Chicken gets brittle and often starts to fall apart with age.
    Here are some other notes:

Berkeley's:
    Fruiting Body: 25-80 cm across (!); consisting of one to five caps arising from a single, gnarled stem.
    Individual Caps: 10-45 cm across; kidney-shaped or irregular in outline; loosely convex, flat, or with a central depression; dry; velvety or leathery, sometimes radially wrinkled (but never scaly) or with vague, semi-concentric zones of texture or color; whitish to cream colored or pale tan; not bruising.
    Bondarzewia berkeleyi

https://sites.google.com/site/berkel...e/extra-credit

Chicken:
    Fruiting Body: Up to 60 cm across; usually consisting of several to many individual caps arranged in a shelving formation or a rosette.
    Caps: 5-30 cm across and up to 20 cm deep; up to 3 cm thick; fan-shaped to semicircular or irregular; more or less planoconvex; smooth to finely wrinkled; suedelike; bright yellow to bright orange when young, frequently fading in maturity and with direct sunlight

humber river advocate
    after a bit of rain this week...

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-1554629_544993088963037_6901958170598356290_n.jpg

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-10592697_544993148963031_8687539392933030212_n.jpg
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 08-14-2014 at 06:45 PM.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills MPAC
    will build trail for rep... give a rep today...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: Mushrooms....Post your pics...

Morels in August!
    I have never found them this late and they were some of the largest I have seen. All huge and lots of them.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

saddlemeat
    ^Score!

Wish we had them in NW New Mexico.

How about a pic of them cooked? (slurp)

humber river advocate
    more on tonight's ride...

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-10426132_545264478935898_7973892890547564500_n.jpg
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills MPAC
    will build trail for rep... give a rep today...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Re: Mushrooms....Post your pics...

saddlemeat
    I believe these to be Clavariadelphus truncatus, and I plan to try eating them if I find any fresh ones this year. I hope they are sweet, they smelled really buttery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mushrooms....Post your pics...-dscn5179-copy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Went shroom hunting. Colorado (11K feet give or take depending on where we were)

Yum

NMBP
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mighty sailin' man
    double decker

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-dsc07228.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    It just so happens that I saw this at Glentress last Wednesday. Don't normally bother with such things but that is a cool mushroom :0)

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-img-20140827-00080.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Collins, thanks for the info on "my" mushroom!

An update: As I mentioned earlier, there were two new small ones that were growing quickly. Unfortunately, when I went back a couple weeks later, they were all worm-infested and smelly.

However, I went there a week later, and tada!:

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-mushroom-comeback.jpg

It had been rather dry, so I was surprised to see it. Maybe this kind doesn't like a lot of water?
    Last edited by DennisF; 09-06-2014 at 06:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Turns out that Glentress is Mushroom Central! I took all of these pictures on one short section of link trail. My son was wondering what the heck was keeping me ;0)

Just two but there were quite a few of these. One of these was right on the edge of the trail, no idea how it had avoided being flattened.

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-003.jpg

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-004.jpg

mtbr member
    There were a few of these but this was the best one

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-005.jpg

This one was a bright red ball. It was well hidden in the grass, I had to carefully peel the foliage off it to take the picture. The lines on the mushroom aren't cracks, they're bits of grass:

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-010.jpg

mtbr member
    The pictures don't really do them justice. The colours of these last two were amazing! This first one a redish orange:

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-011-2-.jpg

And this radar-dish effort was an incredible luminous orange colour. There were quite a few of these but most were damaged. This one has a white blemish on it but it was the best one if its kind:

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-008.jpg

And just in case you think maybe I pulled them off the net or something ;0) Here's my bike. Notice the skid-mark on the trail where I slammed on the brakes upon spotting the mushroom!

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-009.jpg

What's happening to me? I'm taking photographs of mushrooms!....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sounds like you are well on the way to becoming an amateur mycologist, Mr. P.
    Just don't let yerself get too cocky about it and force your family to eat a mess of false Morels you found. That could end badly.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast