Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    mtbr member
    Underwater

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-maxresdefault.jpg
    Round and round we go

EMBA Member
    Saw this thing in Oregon a couple days ago. Eastern Oregon at around 5,000 ft elevation. Never seen anything quite like this before, but I think it is some kind of mushroom. Looks like cauliflower, actually.

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-p1010622-smaller.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    That's a fine young Clavulina genus... maybe cristata. Once they get older, those cauliflowers get all long and fingery -- looks more like undersea coral.

YYZ
    mtbr member
    Collins, you seem like a biology insightful being / Fungi expert. I'm curious to know what these guys are. Mushrooms....Post your pics...-img_20150616_153742035.jpgMushrooms....Post your pics...-img_20150616_153748923.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Good find there -- they're Reishi or a relative, aka "varnish shelf"; a good bit of research is going into figuring out the medicinal properties of these, which have been used for a long time, typically in Asian areas.
    It's from Ganoderma genus, likely Ganoderma tsugae, since it's growing on a conifer. Check it out:
    Reishi - Lingzhi (Ganoderma tsugae, Ganoderma lucidum) - Mushroom-Collecting.com

Here's a good page for those cauliflower up above:
    Clavulina cristata (MushroomExpert.Com)

mtbr member
    This rain in New England has got the mushrooms poppin up....and the Indian Pipes ....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mushrooms....Post your pics...-image.jpg  

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-image.jpg  

There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Here are a couple from today's ride.....mushrooms everywhere this month....anyone take a shot at identifying these?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mushrooms....Post your pics...-image.jpg  

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-image.jpg  

saddlemeat
    Finest batch of white king boletes I have ever eaten, new crop, sliced thin and sauted in butter until the edges are crisp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mushrooms....Post your pics...-dsc02660-copy.jpg  

I ride with the best people.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Nice finds ya'll. Esp. those ceps! Just curious, what region are you in?

And Jeff -- That bottom one is a young lil Chicken of the Woods, Laetiporus species:
    Sulphur Shelf or Chicken Mushroom (Laetiporus sulphureus) - AmericanMushrooms.com

The top one I'm not positive about, but I'm guessing a Meripilus sumstinei:

Meripilus sumstinei (MushroomExpert.Com)
    Meripilus sumstinei

It's almost time of year for a similar mushroom, the Maitake, which is just as tasty as those king boletes, and even easier to identify:
    Hen of the Woods, Maitake or Sheepshead Mushroom (Grifola frondosa) - AmericanMushrooms.com

mtbr member
    I know nothing about mushrooms, but I thought this was cool.

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-shroom_1.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks Collins, appreciate the help.....I thought one of them might have been a Chicken of the Woods but the bright color put some doubt in my mind.....in last few days it has faded to a much lighter color......thanks again . QUOTE=Collins;12092426]Nice finds ya'll. Esp. those ceps! Just curious, what region are you in?

And Jeff -- That bottom one is a young lil Chicken of the Woods, Laetiporus species:
    Sulphur Shelf or Chicken Mushroom (Laetiporus sulphureus) - AmericanMushrooms.com

The top one I'm not positive about, but I'm guessing a Meripilus sumstinei:

Meripilus sumstinei (MushroomExpert.Com)
    Meripilus sumstinei

It's almost time of year for a similar mushroom, the Maitake, which is just as tasty as those king boletes, and even easier to identify:
    Hen of the Woods, Maitake or Sheepshead Mushroom (Grifola frondosa) - AmericanMushrooms.com[/QUOTE]

saddlemeat
    I'm trying to identify these, they were growing under ponderosa pine, but in dirt, in a connected group, like honey mushrooms, of which I think they are a type.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mushrooms....Post your pics...-honeymushrooms03.jpg  

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-honeymushrooms02.jpg  

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-honeymushrooms01.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hrmph. Do a spore print on aluminum foil, and make sure it's white. Then, you can probably be sure it's the "ringless honey mushroom" -- Armillaria tabescens
    Where in the U.S. did you find these? Ponderosa, so west coast?

Of course, don't eat unless positively ID'd by a professional, etc, &c.

Here's an awesome site for mushroom dorkery: Mushroom Observer: Name: Armillaria tabescens (Scop.) Emel

And:
    Armillaria tabescens (MushroomExpert.Com)

saddlemeat
    I'm in northern New Mexico, the Zuni Mts. I concluded tabescens also, I've been mushrooming for almost 50 years, btw, so I'm kind of the expert for this mountain. It's a phenomenal mushroom year here, usually much drier. Thanks Collins.
    Last edited by bsieb; 08-11-2015 at 11:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Cool finds -- those look like their from a place that got a bunch of early rain, then dried up. What else do you typically find there?

saddlemeat
    We've had record setting early rains this spring and pre-monsoon summer, and it's not letting up. Our mainstay is the white king bolete, B. barrowsii, and puffballs. In heavy moisture years I find a few chanterelles, some clavariadelphus truncatus. Shaggy Manes are common along the roads but usually too sandy to eat. I learned a lot from this guy, who unfortunately died a few years ago. I grew up in Michigan, where we collected a variety of mushrooms but the morels were the most prized. My neighbor was an expert mushroomer, we commonly tried unknown varieties and I know how to do that safely. The high desert mountains, where I've lived since 1968, are interesting because they tend to have isolated populations of flora that are somewhat different from each other and elsewhere, and make identification a challenge.

EMBA Member
    Mushrooms....Post your pics...-mushroom-1.jpg

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-mushroom-2.jpg

YYZ
    mtbr member
    Love me some good looking shrooms. Marasmius oreades I think?!?

mtbr member
    How do you tell which ones are edible?

EMBA Member
    For me, the ones at the store are edible, and all the others are not. I do sometimes wonder though if I'm missing out on some good treats, but not about to find out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    shrooms
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mushrooms....Post your pics...-2.jpg  

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-7.jpg  

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-8.jpg  

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-9.jpg  

Mushrooms....Post your pics...-dsc01268.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Beautiful morels up top there. And the Amanita and Agaricus sp. have that glowy white autumnal vibe, don't they?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910