Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator

Mugshots of the 1920's....

Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

pin it
    Interesting, rather than profile shots they pose with and without hats ; and then sitting and standing.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Golly! Mug shots back then made criminals look......human!
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

Front Range, Colorado
    Definitely interesting, it kind of makes them look important and kids would look up to them. Then they become criminal and so on and so on and so on. Heck this is where our screwed up society started from. Who knew!
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Definitely interesting, it kind of makes them look important and kids would look up to them. Then they become criminal and so on and so on and so on. Heck this is where our screwed up society started from. Who knew!
    They look like the prototypes for todays's CEO's....our Job Creators!

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    They all look meaner than a snake...and happy about it.
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    3rd pic... d00d on the left.

C-R-E-E-P-Y...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post

C-R-E-E-P-Y...

agreed, holy crap

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post

C-R-E-E-P-Y...
    He looks like my neighbors long lost kin.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

pin it
    Life was tough back then, I bet they are all under 30 years of age
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

pin it
    from a similar article

Elizabeth Singleton, 27 April 1927

Mugshots of the 1920's....-vintage-female-mug-shots-12-copy.jpg

Elizabeth Singleton had multiple convictions for soliciting and was described in police records as a ‘common prostitute’. She was imprisoned at Long Bay but the details of her sentence have been lost. DOB: 9 July 1905.

fascinating stuff
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^ if she would have dressed herself up a bit, she wouldn't have been 'common'
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    from a similar article

Elizabeth Singleton, 27 April 1927

Elizabeth Singleton had multiple convictions for soliciting and was described in police records as a ‘common prostitute’. She was imprisoned at Long Bay but the details of her sentence have been lost. DOB: 9 July 1905.

fascinating stuff

So with my sharp math skills, this lady was 22 years old at the time of her mug shots. She looks closer to 50.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    So with my sharp math skills, this lady was 22 years old at the time of her mug shots. She looks closer to 50.
    She also looks like she had Bell's Palsy and scoliosis, or some kind of stroke.

Front Range, Colorado
    So Highdell are you trying to say that she cleans up well.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

pin it
    Here's a link similar to Chum's source...The archived mugshot's and stories are both fascinating and sad.

Femme Fatales: 35 Vintage Female Mug Shots «TwistedSifter

The website is Twistedsifter is amazing
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    And now for a related musical interlude...

Front Range, Colorado
    Thank-you for that musical interlude. Now let me go back and check out Cycelisious link.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

Hi There!
    Thanks for the link, I love this type of stuff. There's an awesome kind of picture book by Luc Sante called 'Evidence', if you get a chance check it out.

"In Evidence, Luc Sante, the author of Low Life, offers an eerie, insider's visit to the scene of the crime. This collection of rarely seen evidence photographs, taken by the New York City Police Department between 1914 and 1918, presents startling images, some brutal, some poetic and all possessed of a strange and spectral beauty. In his introduction, Sante explains his attraction to this murderous gallery: "Here was a true record of the texture and grain of a lost New York, laid bare by the circumstances of murder. Lives stopped by razor or bullet were frozen by a flash of powder......"
    NTFTC

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    Golly! Mug shots back then made criminals look......human!
    "the subjects of the Special Photographs seem to have been allowed – perhaps invited – to position and compose themselves for the camera as they liked. Their photographic identity thus seems constructed out of a potent alchemy of inborn disposition, personal history, learned habits and idiosyncrasies, chosen personal style (haircut, clothing, accessories) and physical characteristics.”

The photos are from Australia. Where's Tone's to tell us which are his relatives?
    I may or may not be laughing at you.

mtbr member
    It's always interesting to see historical photographs of the those who live on the other side of the tracks. I imagine the stories they would tell would wrinkle and lighten my complexion 20 odd years or so. Then most likely those goons would take me to the lake to show me some shiny cement shoes so I wouldn't share the hearsay. I've been fascinated by photographs of this sort since I took a college history class that used Jacob Riis' How the Other Half Lives as required reading. Really cool stuff, thanks for sharing.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    It's always interesting to see historical photographs of the those who live on the other side of the tracks. I imagine the stories they would tell would wrinkle and lighten my complexion 20 odd years or so. Then most likely those goons would take me to the lake to show me some shiny cement shoes so I wouldn't share the hearsay. I've been fascinated by photographs of this sort since I took a college history class that used Jacob Riis' How the Other Half Lives as required reading. Really cool stuff, thanks for sharing.
    Of course, as an upright, tax-paying law-abiding civilian, I really don't know too much about the subject, but I DO read a lot of those 'books', and I believe there is a major difference or two between those bad actors of back-then and today's "CEO'S" that I alluded to in an earlier post.
    That difference being the lack of 'impulse control' in the former group. They are known to have been a lot that acted quite impulsively in the commission of back-stabbing, bludgeoning, throat slitting, etc....cement-shoe fitting was usually beyond the envelope of their planning-=ahead capability; they just killed you dead, and then kinda forgot about the 'corpus delicti' category altogether in many cases.
    That's the big difference between them and the "Robber Barons" of the same period. The "RB"-s were Pillars of Society, so while they went ahead and likely terminated more lives than the likes of those characters that owned the mugshots, they tended to work it so they came out smelling like roses.

Or, as somebody here commented on another thread recently, that's a difference between a 'sociopath', and a psychopath'. There's some other differences, too, but then again, I'm no Mental Health Professional,
    like Dr. Mike V.
    On second thought,he might be a poor choice on my part, for an example of that esteemed professions' members.....

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Here's a link similar to Chum's source...The archived mugshot's and stories are both fascinating and sad.

Femme Fatales: 35 Vintage Female Mug Shots «TwistedSifter

The website is Twistedsifter is amazing
    I also love the slang from those times, from the link for example:

"bludger"
    "sly grogger"
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    Of course, as an upright, tax-paying law-abiding civilian, I really don't know too much about the subject, but I DO read a lot of those 'books', and I believe there is a major difference or two between those bad actors of back-then and today's "CEO'S" that I alluded to in an earlier post.
    That difference being the lack of 'impulse control' in the former group. They are known to have been a lot that acted quite impulsively in the commission of back-stabbing, bludgeoning, throat slitting, etc....cement-shoe fitting was usually beyond the envelope of their planning-=ahead capability; they just killed you dead, and then kinda forgot about the 'corpus delicti' category altogether in many cases.
    That's the big difference between them and the "Robber Barons" of the same period. The "RB"-s were Pillars of Society, so while they went ahead and likely terminated more lives than the likes of those characters that owned the mugshots, they tended to work it so they came out smelling like roses.
    Right, don't forget the cannoli's, don't forget to read the articles alongside the pics, take notes. Also, return the quick set cement. For everything else, plead the 5th. Disavow any past, present or future knowledge. Know that you know nothing and get along with yourself. Alll-righty then.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegweed View Post
    Thanks for the link, I love this type of stuff. There's an awesome kind of picture book by Luc Sante called 'Evidence', if you get a chance check it out.
    I'm gonna check this out, gruesome I'm sure but sounds interesting.
    No fuss with the MUSS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast