mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Mountain biking on Mars! Coming by 2045? 2075?

So, I was heading back to work and caught about 15 minutes of the topic on NPRadio. They were talking about using land in Utah for Mars mission training (seems like a good place to do such)...Then my mind wandered after hearing Utah, it immediately triggered a thought of my bike, with me on it (hopefully), just loving life, all cares behind.

Then I thought how cool would it be to bike on Mars someday! A 200lb person on Earth would weigh 75lbs on Mars! Hell, bicycles would be like 2 lbs .

Putting aside the logistics like lack of/extra oxygen us humans from Earth would need to function like normal, and the speedy trip to prevent muscle degredation...All this would be figured out by then. Even this..instead of shuttle lifts to the top of the mountain, you might be getting a lift to Olympus Mons on Mars from a spacecraft based from Earth. Or take a 1 hour trip to ride our moon.

Doesn't this sound like something that could happen 100 years from now or so? Granted we'd have to have the compact oxygen supply, and the ability to keep our muscles in Earth condition. That's why we'd have to get there much more quickly than we are now....Talkin an day and a half trip to Mars.

LOL I could imagine, launching off a hill, and making the landing on a backside of the next hill 1/4 mile away...lol....

Should've just had a sandwich for lunch....anyway, I hope some of you can relate and enjoy my mind rambling on my way back from lunch
    Last edited by TulsaClint; 04-26-2013 at 01:22 PM.

official eMpTyBRain
    Imagine how much bigger the hucks would be on Mars!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Front Range, Colorado
    Scientists have proven that the best Mars mountain bike would be a 26" Full squish fatty.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Scientists have proven that the best Mars mountain bike would be a 26" Full squish fatty.
    I'm thinking a 32er HT fatty bike would be super Mars cushy!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Gnarly
    the more comfortable the better... I'll be a senior citizen by the time there are flights to mars
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Mountain biking on Mars! Coming by 2045? 2075?

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    the more comfortable the better... I'll be a senior citizen by the time there are flights to mars
    Ha. That would be awesome. Unfortunately I'd say that's optimistic. your great grand kids will be lucky to see that!
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

I <3 dirt

You really think that long?

I just think about how far we've come in the last hundred years alone. We might not be a part of it but I don't think things like this are too far off.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikemtb999 View Post
    You really think that long?

I just think about how far we've come in the last hundred years alone. We might not be a part of it but I don't think things like this are too far off.
    Yeah, I'm talking about people flying there, perhaps an astronaut could walk there sooner. Consider it took almost 8 months of flight for the rover to get there at a cost of $280m. And thats with no food, oxygen, bathrooms, etc. let alone the stay on Mars.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

Gnarly
    I believe it's possible! soon....

Mountain biking on Mars!  Coming by 2045? 2075?-e224cf4b-a0c2-4081-b6ce-63cd727980e4.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Actually, I came accross a better yet planet for mountain biking which I wanted to share with you. It not as deserted as Mars and I find that a cool thing. Every here and there you find some strange unstable transparent substance spreading over the ground.
    Not everywhere the ground is covered by this weird substance and it's not red everywhere. It changes from red to yellow, and mostly it is covered with a green fresh layer of curly stuff. A bright ball shows up every now and then in the sky and that's not a black sky, but blue, and I find that cool.
    Ah, yeah, there are some moving creatures around. Some are elongated, some have hairy bodies and some are sort of moving around above in the sky - strange.
    The weird transparent substance I talked you about, sometimes falls from the sky and it pets your face and trust me, that feels really good!

Isn't that such an amazing place? You know where it is so grab your bike today and seize it!

Gnarly
    Quote Originally Posted by adi700 View Post
    Actually, I came accross a better yet planet for mountain biking which I wanted to share with you. It not as deserted as Mars and I find that a cool thing. Every here and there you find some strange unstable transparent substance spreading over the ground.
    Not everywhere the ground is covered by this weird substance and it's not red everywhere. It changes from red to yellow, and mostly it is covered with a green fresh layer of curly stuff. A bright ball shows up every now and then in the sky and that's not a black sky, but blue, and I find that cool.
    Ah, yeah, there are some moving creatures around. Some are elongated, some have hairy bodies and some are sort of moving around above in the sky - strange.
    The weird transparent substance I talked you about, sometimes falls from the sky and it pets your face and trust me, that feels really good!

Isn't that such an amazing place? You know where it is so grab your bike today and seize it!
    Tell us more about your trip!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Tell us more about your trip!
    Seems like you enjoyed the write up. I will leave the rest for you to try it yourself .

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Imagine how much bigger the hucks would be on Mars!
    Ha! 100-ft. drops to flat.

Just don't go OTB and crack your full-face or the results may be catastrophic.

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

Gnarly
    Ha! The ultimate dh trail!

Mountain biking on Mars!  Coming by 2045? 2075?-10253760_817412644946415_227358480599783898_n.jpg

It would take about 8 months to get there but wow what a trip!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I hear the Martian women are hot too.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    definite malingerer

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    I hear the Martian women are hot too.
    I heard that too/