Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Front Range, Colorado

The Missy Giove Story, Told By Her....

This was already posted in the General Discussion forum yesterday by Technician. But for those that haven't read it yet, check it out. As Cyclelicious said in the other thread her life story would make a great movie. A few years back Missy Giove the all time best woman's DH racer gets busted for major pot distribution. But it was always a mystery of what really happened to her. This article is her story told by her.

I saw her at the NORBA Nationals a couple times in Big Bear California. I watched her race but also saw her cruising around the vendor exhibits on her bike with her girlfriend riding on the handlebars. Her famous trademark was she always wore a dried up Piranha around her neck as a necklace. She's showing off the pirahna in the one photo. Be sure to read all 3 pages it's extremely interesting.

Full 3 page interview here Missy Giove, an X Games Star's Criminal Ride - MensJournal.com

And parts of the interview that didn't make it to print. Extended interview with Missy Giove: Mechanics, mini-motos and more | Dirt Rag Magazine

And more here Photo Gallery: Exclusive Missy Giove interview outtakes | Dirt Rag Magazine

Not bike content but rather distribution what fors and what nots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Missy Giove Story, Told By Her....-missy-3.jpg  

The Missy Giove Story, Told By Her....-missy-4.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 11-01-2013 at 01:49 PM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

official eMpTyBRain
    What do you mean by "but it was always a mystery what really happened to her"??? Is she gone?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    So awesome. Somebody on this forum has her old bikes.

Fast Banana should make her acquaintance if they should ever bump into each other throughout the court system.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    What do you mean by "but it was always a mystery what really happened to her"??? Is she gone?
    No, we knew she got busted but they never told what exactly happened to her and how she got busted. This story tells it in her words.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    So awesome. Somebody on this forum has her old bikes.

Fast Banana should make her acquaintance if they should ever bump into each other throughout the court system.
    Argh!
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I saw Missy in OB here in San Diego, riding a road bike up the steep hills of Point Loma. She's an awesome young lady. I've always been a fan.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    I saw Missy in OB here in San Diego, riding a road bike up the steep hills of Point Loma. She's an awesome young lady. I've always been a fan.
    Yeah she got around So. Cal. for sure.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    That was a great read thanks for posting it. I can't believe how some people that have so much in life can do something this stupid and throw it all away.

Trouser Malfunction
    I reject your Reality, and interject...

Name:  tumblr_m8gcpkZlkJ1rdpa5go1_500_crop_exact.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  65.3 KB

...and Honey Badger and that McKayla girl from the Olympics.

At some point Missy Giove knew right from wrong, but chose to ignore common sense. And anyone who helped her each are just as wrong.
    I like Sand -- I don't like Witches.

mtbr member
    the missle will be released.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Haint View Post
    I reject your Reality, and interject...

Name:  tumblr_m8gcpkZlkJ1rdpa5go1_500_crop_exact.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  65.3 KB

...and Honey Badger and that McKayla girl from the Olympics.

At some point Missy Giove knew right from wrong, but chose to ignore common sense. And anyone who helped her each are just as wrong.
    That's one bad ass looking Honey Badger.YIKERS!!!
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Waste of money and resources.

Aren't there some murderers or rapists to keep them busy?

I will also say, she did know the extreme risks of moving the pot out of state. She knows most states are ***** about it, and would rather spend their resources on pursuing soft, non-violent targets like her instead of dangerous ones. I am glad they were so lenient with her. She didn't deserve jail time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    Waste of money and resources.

Aren't there some murderers or rapists to keep them busy?

I will also say, she did know the extreme risks of moving the pot out of state. She knows most states are ***** about it, and would rather spend their resources on pursuing soft, non-violent targets like her instead of dangerous ones. I am glad they were so lenient with her. She didn't deserve jail time.
    There are some LEO's that really buy the canard about cannabis being a 'gateway drug'. Also, the quantities involved can get them pretty exited. They like to quantify a crime/bust in two terms: the first, a moral imperative. That's where the 'gateway drug' thing comes in. Actually, even attempting to categorize a plant as a 'drug' is kind of unusual; tobacco, which aside from its' carcinogens, contains a well-known drug, nicotine, is rarely referred to as a 'drug'. Same for beer/liquor. Ethanol is the active ingredient, and it is most definitely a drug, but it's regulated by the BATF, not the FDA and DEA.

Second, the material $$ value of the crime, in this case the amount of pot, is a real kicker; thinking in terms of 100-500,000 bucks worth of pot is a real turn-on in terms of busting somebody. That's a half-million dollar crime, and who knows how many kids it will send straight to the hypodermic needle!

So, cops tend to rationalize things, just like everybody else in society does in one way or another. Vietnam was lent significance by promoting the "domino theory', and a certain percent of our military and society bought it.

As for Missy, she's smart, she knew the risks, and that was likely a turn-on for her. Also she did not buy into the gateway BS...as we know, she's smart. But she had to know that the odds of getting busted rise astronomically with each repetition of the deal. I think the thrill of rolling that dice was a major incentive to her. she thrives on the edge. Look at how even now, she is thinking about racing DH again, in spite of the MD's all telling her she is potentially one more head injury away from serious brain damage.

So the whole thing, from the law's perspective, to Missy's perspective, is basically a game, one that sooner or later she knew she would lose.

Regardless of its' validity or not, when you fight the law, the law wins, eventually.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

Front Range, Colorado
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    All I can say is:

Missy Giove and Julie Furtado sandwich, with me as the meat, please?
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    The cops are getting their budgets slashed, and they have to keep their jobs and their friend's jobs somehow.

IMHO, there is enough money to keep them in their job tied up in the 'War on Drugs'. There is even enough left over for a huge education campaign to make sure every single kid has full disclosure of drug's consequences. If they want to make stupid choices after that, their call. We can't afford to nanny everyone.

Maya for 2020. Mountain Biking new official national sport. Gogo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    All I can say is:

Missy Giove and Julie Furtado sandwich, with me as the meat, please?
    It looks like Missy doesn't eat sausage, only fish.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    It looks like Missy doesn't eat sausage, only fish.
    ...which is why there are three at that table.

Otherwise, Tina Fey and Janeane Garafalo.

Closest otherwise was the other night with the spousal unit, and the dog decides to hop up on the bed and flop/stretch herself out on my legs/ass.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm not sure about this. While I am not against people smoking a joint or five, I am strongly against the organized crime that is usually connected to the drug trade.

Were Missy and her partner just lone wolves? Maybe, but the million + in cash would possibly point to something else. Certainly that much money would make murder a 'solution' to getting caught for some dealers.

She was insanely lucky to get off as light as she did; it doesn't seem right to me.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Trouser Malfunction
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    I'm not sure about this. While I am not against people smoking a joint or five, I am strongly against the organized crime that is usually connected to the drug trade.

Were Missy and her partner just lone wolves? Maybe, but the million + in cash would possibly point to something else. Certainly that much money would make murder a 'solution' to getting caught for some dealers.

She was insanely lucky to get off as light as she did; it doesn't seem right to me.

Drew
    I can sharply recall grimey hopheads from the fringes of a BMX scene falling all over themselves on Missy Giove and this was in the early 1990's.

The idiots have not changed, ever, and have an excuse & a Lawyer at the Card Table/Gift Table whenever anyone can.
    I like Sand -- I don't like Witches.

mtbr member
    favorite missle moment- met her @ '94 worlds in Vail at the cdale tent where we both were checkin out & commenting on the same hotties that were walkin by. priceless.
    it's pretty cool she still pins it on that foes.

EMBA Member
    She didn't want to parlay her success as a racer/personality into a job "working" as a bike industry rep schmoozing and selling and glad handing, etc at trade shows and mountain bike races, so instead she decided to involve herself in what was, at the time, a multi-felony level criminal conspiracy.

As far as I know, and I sadly have to admit I've never had one of those jobs, what it primarily consists of is showing up at events, talking to people about mountain bike related topics, going on rides as part of your job in the best mountain biking venues around, maybe testing new products, getting your picture taken, and showing off your moves in videos. Oh, I almost forgot, you also have to collect a paycheck for all that "work".

I'm sitting here at my desk with a mountain of work to plow through and deadlines to meet, and I'm thinking (for about 1 nano-second) whether I would trade what I'm doing for the job that didn't fit her preferred lifestyle.

Two words.

HELL YES.

mtbr member
    DIRT RAG has her story in a recent issue. She indeed was a beast back in the day.
    Get me the knuckles of Frisco..

Interplanetary Poultry
    It's unfortunate that she chose the path she did but fortunate that it didn't end up a whole lot worse.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Screw her shes a fracking narc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast