Thread: Mini computers

Mini computers

anybody played around with these?

This is the one I just got. I ordered it awhile ago and it finally arrived.

UG802 Mini Android PC Android TV Box Android 4.0 RK3066 Dual Core 1G RAM HDMI TF 4GB

That's the site where I ordered it, also provides the spec list. I was tempted to get a raspberry pi because they're so cheap, but they're pretty underpowered compared to this one. It basically uses smartphone components and combines them with some standard computer features. I plan on hooking mine up to a bluetooth dongle so I can have a keyboard/touchpad to control it. For now, I'll be using a BT mouse because I have one I can use.

Later, I think I'll hook up a USB hub so I can also attach an IR receiver so I can use my standard TV remote with it, as well as a hard drive for more media storage.

I have been using a Logitech Revue Google TV box lately in my quest to dump cable and satellite. The Google TV box has not been the solution I hoped for because Logitech stopped supporting it about a year ago. Consequently I cannot access Hulu at all. I also cannot stream programming from the major TV network websites. They block Google TV devices. I was a huge timeshifter when I had access to a DVR, but now I do not. I rarely catch a program at the time it airs and I don't wanna have to sit in front of the computer to watch those programs.

I also hope that the graphics adapter for this thing renders websites better than the Logitech Revue. Text can be a pain to read using it. I know it's not the TV.

From the screenshots I've seen, it looks like this device runs a version of Android more like what cellphones run, and not the heavily customized Google TV version (with very few apps). If it lives up to my expectations, then I will probably sell off the Revue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I will have to check that out.

I too have been watching the raspberry pi. Especially since Polycase came out with a pretty cool plug-n-play enclosure.

Raspberry Pi Enclosure

Keep us posted as you start to figure it out.

NONDURO
    DEC VAX for the win
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

that is a pretty slick case for the raspberry pi.

I've been playing around with this ug802 for the past few hours. It's WAY faster than my Logitech. It won't install Netflix or Hulu+ out of the box, though. The Google Play warning is that it's not available in my country, but I think it's more of a device warning problem, since Hulu+'s Google Play page mentions specific devices it's compatible with.

I'm going to root the device so I can get access to those apps.

I am currently using a regular wired mouse to control it...lol...because I left my bluetooth mouse in my office. It works well enough believe it or not.

I think this will easily be a Logitech Revue replacement. I'll report back after I've rooted it. I'll probably do that tomorrow once I've had the chance to digest the instructions.

b a n n e d
    Can someone asplain' to me what this is wifout me reading?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Can someone asplain' to me what this is wifout me reading?
    A cheap, small computer that plugs into a tv for a display. It thinks it's a tablet computer, FWIW

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    A cheap, small computer that plugs into a tv for a display. It thinks it's a tablet computer, FWIW
    Perfect. Thanks! Now I'm interested
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Once I root it tomorrow it should be great.

mtbr member
    Sorry.. Thought this thread was "mini coopers" I had something to say about them!
    .....the end

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm interested to hear how it works. I'm using a wdtv to stream Netflix and hulu to my TV. Really nice. Can also put DVDs that have been converted to mp4s on the TV.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by DrivetheGreen66 View Post
    I'm interested to hear how it works. I'm using a wdtv to stream Netflix and hulu to my TV. Really nice. Can also put DVDs that have been converted to mp4s on the TV.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    this device supports a lot of different video codecs, too. You can network it with another computer that houses such material, or you can directly plug in additional storage that contains it. The home screen is a customized thing that gives you quick access to that stuff.

here's a video rundown of some of the things it does out of the box.

I really like that controller used in that vid. Small enough to be put away when I want to.

Like I said, I'll be rooting this thing to get more access to Android apps. I'll be doing that tonight.

Rooting the UG802 Android Mini PC, installing custom recovery - Liliputing

One thing I like about it over the Revue is that I can actually turn it OFF. since its power supply is via USB, I just plugged that USB into the port on my TV, so when the TV is off, so is the mini computer. It's always bothered me that the Logitech Revue is ALWAYS ON. When I switch inputs on the TV, it's still up, running its screen saver. I'm not sure how much of a power drain that is, but I'm sure it's notable on my electric bill.

alright! successfully rooted the device and got Netflix and Hulu+ installed. works like a dream. WAY faster than my Logitech Revue. it was my first go at rooting an android device (wife wouldn't let me touch her nook color when she bought it) so I had to look up some things. but I'm tech minded enough so it worked out.

you can hook this thing up to a laptop and the TV at the same time to do some simultaneous file browsing/managing.

on the negative side, this thing has some reports about spotty wifi performance. I've had a couple hiccups so I'll see about putting the router a bit closer. I have read that some folks have used a USB wifi dongle instead, or a USB wired ethernet adapter. it's working okay for me right now so I don't think I'll have to go that far just yet.

Hulu+ app only partially works. Can install and run it. Can browse content and whatnot but cannot play anything because my device isn't explicitly "approved".

I have a trump card to try still. Going to try installing Linux onto a microsd card and boot the device from there. Will see if tv network web content will work that way, also, because it is currently blocked.

I am increasingly beginning to think that a media center pc may be in the cards. I could build one from the components for not too much money and it would not have such content access restrictions.

I'm your density
    I cut the cable a month ago, but still wanted to get some content, mostly movies. I got a Roku box and it has a crapton of content incl. Hulu+, Vudu, Netflix, Amazon Prime (the only one I have a subscription for), HBO To Go, MLB, NHL, MLS, etc... Plus it has a lot of channels being added, many free (and legit). And there is an easy way to stream stored content from a networked PC.

I was going to go the HTPC route but couldn't justify the cost or time (I have no spare parts & no spare time). Maybe some day. I also thought about the mini-PC route (this, specifically), which I may still do for the main TV and retire the Roku to a 2nd TV.

Does the miniPC have an ethernet adapter? If you need a better wireless solution, I got one of these for my Sprint nanocell base station and it works a charm. The only thing is it requires a specific IP address from your router so you can only use one in your network without some sort of trickery that I'm not privy to.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    DEC VAX for the win....
    I was thinking PDP 11/34.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    I was thinking PDP 11/34.
    Man we are showing our age....

My dad had a PDP 11 at home when I was in highschool. In some ways I miss Fortran. I hacked around and wrote a couple of meaningless apps, like one that calculated the sunrise / sunset at any Lat / Lon on any Gregorian calendar date...
    Last edited by dead_dog_canyon; 10-05-2012 at 07:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have a wireless Roku for my streaming pleasure. Is this an alternative? Are there benefits with something like this over a Roku? I don't even use my Roku for anything more than for Netflix.

Yes it is a roku, boxee box, etc alternative. The big reason I went this route over that is that I get full web access with my choice of browser. I can even boot a different OS if I want.

It is cheaper than those, too, unless you buy a new controller for it.

Mine does not have a built in ethernet port but some variations do, yet lack wifi. Some have built in bluetooth. There are many options.