Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Suckin wind like a boss

Middle Earth nerds

So who is planning to see The Hobbit? Presale tix just went up for grabs here so I snatched up a pair to see it in HFR 3D at midnight. Yeah, I am just that much of a Tolkien nerd. Sad that as of now there are no IMAX theaters within 100 miles that are showing in HFR 3D, so I'll have to settle for regular screen... but I haven't seen a 3D movie since Friday the 13th in 3D so I am sure it will still kick ass.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

No Stranger to danger....
    Im looking forward to it big T, it should be great, not to mention im looking forward to the next 3 starwars movies with the first being in 2015, now that Lucas has sold the rights, i grew up on the original trilogy.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

I dd what you see there.
    I'm going to see it for sure, though I don't have to be the first to see it so I'll likely wait for a month or two.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

official eMpTyBRain
    Can't wait to see it!!!

Also looking waaaay forward to the next Star Trek movie!!!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

No Stranger to danger....
    ^^ Hawg, star trek,.....please...........really.....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    ^^ Hawg, star trek,.....please...........really.....
    You like Star Wars and NOT Star Trek? Is that not a contradiction in itself?

Have you seen the newest Star Trek movie from a few year ago? It was very well done.That's how they should be made! Don't get me wrong, I love all the old stuff, too.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

I'm your density
    Mosdef going to see The Hobbit.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

Beer Me!
    100% in. This will be the first movie have seen in the theater for over a year. 2 hours and 44min of awesome. I enjoy sci-fi stuff, but I am more of a "High Fantasy" or "Sword and Sorcery" type nerd. LOTR in both written and movie form was a huge deal for me, and I hope the hobbit lives up to my expectations.

Character gallery:
    Character gallery The Hobbit - Imgur

My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    LOTR - 1200 pages, 3 films. Fair enough it was published as a trilogy and Jackson did a good job (lets gloss over Viggo Motensen's singing at the end).
    The Hobbit - 300 pages, 3 films? Really? We'll see.

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by nuffink View Post
    LOTR - 1200 pages, 3 films. Fair enough it was published as a trilogy and Jackson did a good job (lets gloss over Viggo Motensen's singing at the end).
    I have my concerns as well, but there were many large sections of LOTR that were skipped in the movies, that could have easily taken hours worth of additional movie time. For example the Bombadil story when the hobbits first left the shire was almost 1/6th of the first book, and not a single scene was in the movie. Additionally the scouring of the shire at the end of the series was a great little end story that could probably be a shorter 2 hour movie by itself.

Scenes I am looking forward to most in the hobbit: Smaug (the dragon's) attack on lake town, and the EPIC battle of 5 armies!!!

All you could ever want for LOTR, Hobbit, The Silmarillion, and Tolkens other works.
    Lord of the Rings Wiki

mtbr member
    I'm not writing it off in advance. I'll probably go just to see what a 60 fps film shot on Red cameras looks like on the big screen. However, it's a thin story to be stretching over that amount of time and it's not as if Tolkein's characterisation and dialog can keep the party going when the action flags. I hope I'm wrong and, as you say, Jackson had the good taste to ditch all that Tom Bombadil nonsense so fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    jackson's lotr movie trilogy burned me out. anybody remember bakshi's version? i think it came out in '79 maybe. i still have a vhs recording of that flick somehwere.
    always face the herd

see me rollin, they hatin
    i remember having a talk with my college professor about changing the date of my final. I didnt tell her why, but it was so i go go see the two towers!

so yeah, i'll be seeing it
    fap

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuffink View Post
    Yeah, I'll see it for sure, but probably not opening night.

Wow, the book is going to be three movies? I didn't know that .. having a hard time imagining it, although I haven't read it since elementary school. I know lots of stuff was cut out of the LOTR movies, but much of it wasn't necessary to the story line -- the Tom Bombadil scene would have only made sense to the hardcores, I think and would have left others (like my wife) confused and thinking the movies were even more out there. Actually, the third movie could have been 40 minutes shorter and I would have been happy. They have to walk a fine line making these types of movies to appeal the casual fan while not offending or insulting the fanatic.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Yeah indeed, and the Tolkein fans are, shall we say, passionate.

I'm your density
    I would have appreciated a favorable representation of Goldberry
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

Gnarly
    Definitely plan to see it
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    jackson's lotr movie trilogy burned me out. anybody remember bakshi's version? i think it came out in '79 maybe. i still have a vhs recording of that flick somehwere.
    I remember renting it and watching it with my geek friends and being sadly disappointed that it was never completed.

I will see the hobbit but alas it will probably be at home on the massive 32" flat screen TV as $10 tickets or whatever it costs now x 2 plus a baby sitter and snacks to see the movie is the equivalent of a lot of things that are actually needed.
    Try this: HTFU

Retired User
    Oh man, my ass still hurts from the day I saw the special premier of Return of the King in theatres, when they showed the extended cut of the first two films followed by ROTK sequentially.

I never go to the theatre, but between The Hobbit and Skyfall, it's going to be a good few months.

mtbr member
    I'm really looking forward to this but when I first found out it was split into three movies I had a very wtf reaction. I guess they'll cover some things in a lot of detail. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Smaug up close and personal. I love dragons.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

Dissolved member
    I wonder if they ever put the Silmarillion on the silver screen, too. I am too obsessed with dragons (hey I am one according to the Chinese) and seeing Ancalagon the Black and Glaurung the Golden would be a feast for my weary eyes!

No movie is gonna beat the books though.

mtbr member
    The Hobbit, Star Wars, Star Trek, sign me up for all of them. Good stuff to look forward to.
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

Suckin wind like a boss
    I am still butthurt that the entirety of the Tom Bombadil interaction was completely blown off by Jackson. Yeah, I'm one of those. However, I still watch the trilogy regularly- I mean, it's what I put on the PC to go to sleep at night, almost every night. (Once a week I'll put on V for Vendetta but that's another story.) I use the LOTR trilogy because it's easy to fall asleep to- if its a movie I havent seen, I tend to stay awake, but with LOTR I know most all of the dialogue by heart, so I'm not missing anything by falling asleep

I'm also saddened by the fact that this one story- not epic novel, but short story, basically- is going to be dragged out. I can easily see being able to make the story fit into 3 movies, and that to me speaks volumes about detail (which Jackson is no slouch at delivering.) I can't put aside the thought that it is being done solely from a profitability standpoint as well, and that makes me a little sore. Still, I haven't seen a movie in a theater for several years, so going to see this one is going to be quite a treat for me, so the 30 bucks I paid for 2 tickets doesnt really hurt that bad.

And I have a poorly digitized copy of Bashki's animated Hobbit...it's hard to watch because the copy came from a bad videotape. I would really like to have a nice copy of it but they are impossible to find. I remember watching it when it came out- I was rabid to see it, because the year before that my grandmother got me the Tolkien set with all 4 books (Hobbit, and LOTR series) that I devoured in about 2 weeks. When the movie came out it was all I could talk about until I got to see it

The next 5 weeks are going to be a tough wait.

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    ......I can't put aside the thought that it is being done solely from a profitability standpoint as well, and that makes me a little sore. Still, I haven't seen a movie in a theater for several years, so going to see this one is going to be quite a treat for me, so the 30 bucks I paid for 2 tickets doesnt really hurt that bad........
    We are on the same page there. I could see 2 movies easy, but 3 moves at almost 3hrs each made me wonder about the motives.

Suckin wind like a boss
    Well I just did a little research, and it appears that although there are 3 movies, it would appear that The Hobbit story will be covered in the first two (the second one, The Desolation of Smaug, to be released same time, next year)... the third one is tentatively titled There and Back Again and will be an expansion on the story of Middle Earth. Jackson says it will make extensive use of Tolkien's appendices in the book. Sadly, the rights to the Silmarillion are not owned by New Line or UA, so no dice on that front.

It looks like part 1 takes Bilbo to Gollum's cave, and part 2 will get the group past Lake-Town and into Smaug's den. Guessing, but part 3 would be the journey home?

Im still stoked. Im not a huge movie watcher, and very rarely watch anything on tv, but Middle Earth has had me sucked in for close to 40 years. I can't *NOT* see them all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast