Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    The Hobbit, Star Wars, Star Trek, sign me up for all of them. Good stuff to look forward to.
    Same here!
    As a kid I could never get through the Tolkien books, but the movies were amazing enough to get me into reading them after all.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I will see the hobbit but alas it will probably be at home on the massive 32" flat screen TV as $10 tickets or whatever it costs now x 2 plus a baby sitter and snacks to see the movie is the equivalent of a lot of things that are actually needed.
    No kidding ... a babysitter + a cheap dinner + movie tickets and a drink is a $75 evening.

I'm not sure I spent that much on prom!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Ride Responsibly
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    I am still butthurt that the entirety of the Tom Bombadil interaction was completely blown off by Jackson. ...
    And I have a poorly digitized copy of Bashki's animated Hobbit...it's hard to watch because the copy came from a bad videotape..
    Thank you Jackson for forgoing all the long and dull poems and songs!!
    IIRC that Bashki version was just plain hard to watch.

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    Same here!
    As a kid I could never get through the Tolkien books, but the movies were amazing enough to get me into reading them after all.
    Same here -- actually I was more into sci-fi novels, and never had the assignment in school to read Tolkien.

Starting shortly after the Fellowship movie was released, I've read the trilogy twice.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

humber river advocate
    read all the books when i was a wee lad... look forward to the hobbit!
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills MPAC
    will build trail for rep... give a rep today...

Dissolved member
    Growing up in communism sucked donkey ballz, Tolkien was on a black list (he placed Mordor in the East etc.). Anyway, I eventually got an access to his books as a teenager and the trilogy was the first serious piece of literature that I read in English.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I'm excited, I don't think it needs to be 3 movies? But whatever, I'll go see 'em all.

Retired User
    From what I could tell from the trailer, the movies will include Gandalf infiltrating Dol Gundur, only alluded to in the book, but pretty cool.

I'm struggling to understand how The Hobbit can be 3 movies..granted, I didn't think the 3 LOTR films were long enough to do the book justice.....I just hope hope that PJ doesn't try to do something dumb like thread Tom Bombadil into the Hobbit, as a gratuitously misplaced character, the way he dealt with Old Man Willow in the extended cut movie, or introducing Elves to the Helms Deep Battle

The Silmarillion would be beyond epic.
    Last edited by wbmason55; 11-08-2012 at 08:36 PM.

I dd what you see there.
    However, I still watch the trilogy regularly- I mean, it's what I put on the PC to go to sleep at night, almost every night.
    This is my dirty little secret that I'm guilty of too. When the extended edition triolgy set came out (for DVD) I got it the first day. Then when I upgraded to the Blu Ray player, again the first thing I bought was the LOTR triology extended edition for it.
    Since getting the DVD set many years ago, I'll wager I've watched at least one of the movies each month - more often in the winter months because where I am, it's cold and it's dark by 5pm.

Question- is there any plan to convert the LOTR triology into 3D?
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by XLNC View Post
    Question- is there any plan to convert the LOTR triology into 3D?
    Oh man, shut up and take my money! That would be awesome.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

I dd what you see there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Oh man, shut up and take my money! That would be awesome.
    I guess that was the proper choice of words for the question. I wondered later if a better choice of words would have been "SHOULD there be any plans" but after reading this thread again and seeing the people's "passion" for these movies (not to mention the number of people on their facebook page), I'm sure, as you said - we'd all just surrender whatever amount of money we'd have to without any questions asked, if it were going to happen.

I know changing 2D to 3D is an expensive proposition, but here on MTBR we're just a little microcosm - so on a larger scale there are probably more then enough people that would support such an endeavour so that it would be financially justifiyable. We should start a petition!!!!
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

Suckin wind like a boss
    Jackson still has hours worth of footage that wasn't even used in the extended cuts, and alludes to plans to use it all in an "ultimate" cut sometime in the future. People would jump on it- myself being one of them. 3D? I think it would behoove him (and New Line) to hold off on that until 3D flatscreens are more mainstream and less of a high-end niche for home theater as they are now. The tech is definitely there to make a conversion now, but I dont think the market is deep enough just yet to warrant it.

A remastered, 3D theatrical release, however... yeah, I'd go.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

Suckin wind like a boss
    Tonight is the night! Gonna be hell to pay at work tomorrow after seeing a midnight movie, but its gonna be worth it. I just got done rebuilding my computer and reinstalling windows, still have tons of crap to reinstall, but i need to take a nap before i leave haha.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Have fun! Looks like a cool flick!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Gnarly
    I'm curious about the unique 48FPS which should look crisp. Depending on the viewpoint, the result will either look more lifelike or it might seem oddly cold.

We're planning to see The Hobbit on Saturday
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Suckin wind like a boss
    i saw it in 3d HFR, and the 48fps was amazing- although I see where the naysayers are getting their "looks like TV" complaints. it is SO crisp that there is no motion blur, especially in action sequences. Every frame is crisp and sharp and blends with the next frame. I think the HFR could and should be the way films get made now, especially action films, and i am a newfound fan of 3d in movies. holy CRAP was it cool! (Bear in mind the last 3d film i saw in a theater was with the red and blue lenses, it was friday the 13th part 3 i think. its been a long time haha.)

Is not amused
    Okay, I guess I'll post this. The other morning on the way back home freezing my ass off I hear this "Jigga Hobbit" replace J with N. Kid on a short yellow bus, go figure, keeps calling me this all the way back home as the closest school is right around the corner from my house. Such a pleasant neighborhood I live in.

Yesterday morning, I was told Yo Jigga, that setup is gangster, as my 1800 and 600 lights where probably blinding him. Again replace J with N. Who knew.... Apparently I'm a "Jigga hobbit who is gangster".
    Last edited by Hutch3637; 12-14-2012 at 02:25 AM.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Okay, I guess I'll post this. The other morning on the way back home freezing my ass off I hear this "Jigga Hobbit" replace J with N. Kid on a short yellow bus, go figure, keeps calling me this all the way back home as the closest school is right around the corner from my house. Such a pleasant neighborhood I live in.

Yesterday morning, I was told Yo Jigga, that setup is gangster, as my 1800 and 600 lights where probably blinding him. Again replace J with N. Who knew.... Apparently I'm a "Jigga hobbit who is gangster".
    People ah, some are just A- holes

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    People ah, some are just A- holes
    Eh, just normal everyday life in "The Ghetto".

Back on topic. Hopefully the bootleg videos of this are sweet, cause I'm not paying a dime for a movie.

Gnarly
    i saw it in 3d HFR, and the 48fps was amazing- although I see where the naysayers are getting their "looks like TV" complaints. it is SO crisp that there is no motion blur, especially in action sequences. Every frame is crisp and sharp and blends with the next frame. I think the HFR could and should be the way films get made now, especially action films, and i am a newfound fan of 3d in movies. holy CRAP was it cool! (Bear in mind the last 3d film i saw in a theater was with the red and blue lenses, it was friday the 13th part 3 i think. its been a long time haha.)
    Precious

Looking forward to seeing it
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Gnarly
    More Dwarfs! More Bilbo! More Elves! More Smaug!?

Middle Earth nerds-hbzpsgo.jpg

December 13
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

removing nudity
    oh that's unlucky timing

duh
    well here is something for all you middle earth people

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - A Journey Through Middle-earth
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    You guys have reached for a new low.

Front Range, Colorado