b a n n e d

Massive Cyber Heist

Perhaps this speaks to my own deviance (or distaste for large mega-financial institutions) . . . but I just find this absolutely brilliant and thoroughly amusing:

Feds Charge Alleged New York Cell In International Cyber-Heist : The Two-Way : NPR
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    "$2.8 million from more than 750 Manhattan ATMs in 2.5 hours" Wow! That's a lot of $20 bills!!

Super Clyde
    Opened an account with $150,000 in $20s? I'm sure that didn't raise any eyebrows.

b a n n e d
    Yeah . . . the follow through wasn't very smart, but I'm certain that the people who orchestrated and executed the actual heist were not the ones involved in the follow through of it.

I must say that as soon as I read what they did with the prepaid cards, I thought "damn, that's smart." Had they planned the follow through better (particularly what to do with the money afterwards), they could have gotten away with it and never been caught. My gut tells me that they DID have a plan, but when you've suddenly got tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars IN YOUR HANDS, logic likely goes to the wayside.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That is NOTHING!!

I'll have to wait until I get home, but iirc, it was at DefCon 19 that one of the speakers showed how ATM's are running Windows CE.. and that they all used a predictable dial-up phone number for remote tech work.. he created an exploit that showed the reciept information (which displays the physical address).. and got access to the admin panel.. in order to 1) Shut off the camera, and 2) Change the onsite tech number sequence to gain entrance to the troubleshooting menu.

In this menu, it will allow you to "test" the tray dispensary..

Not too mention, that ATM's use the same physical lock from a specific manufacturer.. and that you used to be able to order the master key for this locking mechnaism on their website (before he contacted them and said, "Ummm, wtf guys?"