gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Front Range, Colorado
    That dude is nothing short of amazing and the world is his playground, best wishes to a full recovery.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Why do the English have the two best trials guy? Their track teams are pretty good too. They must be good at standing still.

I eat cats
    I still get a kick out of that video, healing vibes to him.

sympathy for society
    That video is amazing.. Hope he heals fast and well.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Wow that sucks. I am wishing for a full recovery! What an amazing rider he is...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Martyn Ashton of Road Bike Party Hurt

That injury is not one to be taken lightly. He will be very lucky indeed if he can ever climb on another bike.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    When I was in the hospital in 2005 (ironically for a spinal injury) I remember reading in a magazine that he had broken his back doing a backflip. I wonder how that plays into his current injury?

Healing vibes.

mtbr member

Martyn Ashton of Road Bike Party Hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    When I was in the hospital in 2005 (ironically for a spinal injury) I remember reading in a magazine that he had broken his back doing a backflip. I wonder how that plays into his current injury?

Healing vibes.
    There is a big difference between compression fractures and dislocated vertebrae.
    Compression fractures are not that big of a deal. I had five (T1-T5). Two months off work. Some physical therapy and a lifetime of chiropractor appointments. Essentially a compression fracture occurs from a sudden overload on the spinal column. The vertebrae fracture similar to a piece of chalk that is compressed vertically. Damage to the spinal column is rare and unlikely.
    Dislocated vertebrae are bad news. Major nerve damage to the spinal column. It's highly likely he may never walk again, let alone ride a bike.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    There is a big difference between compression fractures and dislocated vertebrae.
    Compression fractures are not that big of a deal. I had five (T1-T5). Two months off work. Some physical therapy and a lifetime of chiropractor appointments. Essentially a compression fracture occurs from a sudden overload on the spinal column. The vertebrae fracture similar to a piece of chalk that is compressed vertically. Damage to the spinal column is rare and unlikely.
    Dislocated vertebrae are bad news. Major nerve damage to the spinal column. It's highly likely he may never walk again, let alone ride a bike.
    I had a compression fracture on my C6 vertebra and suffered C5 and C7 nerve damage. Initially I had widespread paralysis and numbness that fortunately turned out to be temporary. However, it took me a long time to get most of my feeling back and 8 years later, I still feel residual effects. So to say that compression fractures are "not that big of a deal" is really a load of nonsense. ANY spinal injury is a big deal. And injuring an area that has previously suffered major injuries complicates the problem more.

Reading about Martyn Ashton's injury helped me get through a pretty miserable time in my life. I hope he's able to recover this time too.