mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Looking for a retractable badge lanyard?

This is kind of off-camber, not specific for MTB, but will be used for MTB'ing

I have a camelbak hawg, and the tube / bite-valve isn't very condusive to "fire and forget", or would that be drink and forget? Either way.. the securing option on the pack really wasn't designed for being on a bike, using one hand to unsecure it, drink, and resecure it.

As it is now, it just flaps in the wind, like a marathon running nudist

I have now, a retractable badge lanyard. This will work, but for how long only the gods know. Did some internet digging, and the ones that attach by a biner rather than a clip look a bit better, however, here is the question:

Does anyone know where I could get one with a biner, and uses paracord rather than a small string to retract back into the housing?

mtbr member

Re: Looking for a retractable badge lanyard?

Look for retractable key chain instead of badge holder

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Been using that system of bite valve retention for years, I just nab the retractable thingies from work. The clip ones work fine for me and it fits securely on the shoulder strap and only comes undone if it gets snagged. Even the ones with the nylon cord last forever and it's usually the plastic snap on the drinking tube that rusts out. Try Staples or Office Max, maybe?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Gnabbed one today for work too

From gunner66's suggestion, looks like I can get one from amazon for about $10.00; it attaches with a carabiner rather than a clip, and is uses "kevlar cord".

ride the moment
    Keychains or the retractable ski pass holders are both made with biner-style clips. However, you could just ditch you camelbak for a wingnut and be happier in ever way.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbrain View Post
    Keychains or the retractable ski pass holders are both made with biner-style clips. However, you could just ditch you camelbak for a wingnut and be happier in ever way.
    Funny I have a Camelbak Mule I bought in 2000' and it has been my primary pack. I ran it through the washer the other day. Looks like brand new with zero problems witth it. All I have ever done was replace the bladder when it got stanky. The bladder hose clips to the shoulder strap via the plastic clip that came with it. When riding the hose stays in the clip. There is plenty of hose to reach and use it without unclipping it.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

I'm your density
    The badge retractors I use at work last a few months before the cord breaks, so if you can get them cheap in bulk that's probably the way to go. Break one, toss it, install another. It's not like if it breaks on the trail you're going to lose anything.

These are probably a little sturdier, to be used by fishermen to retain line cutters, forceps and such. 5 for $20 seems reasonable.
    Amazon.com: ECO Dr. Slick Retractable Reel ::: Zinger Pin on Reel - Package of Five (5): Sports & Outdoors
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

ride the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Funny I have a Camelbak Mule I bought in 2000' and it has been my primary pack. I ran it through the washer the other day. Looks like brand new with zero problems witth it. All I have ever done was replace the bladder when it got stanky. The bladder hose clips to the shoulder strap via the plastic clip that came with it. When riding the hose stays in the clip. There is plenty of hose to reach and use it without unclipping it.
    Yeah I had a HAWG for years and then my buddy had me try on his Wingnut. While my Camelbak had only seemed mildly uncomfortable and inconvenient up to that point, once I tried the Wingnut the HAWG was barely tolerable. The access, load distribution, and shoulder harness are all much better. Plus is solves the OP's problem by routing the drinking tube out of the bottom and up one of the shoulder straps through a sturdy elastic loop. You just pull the bite valve up to your mouth and then let go when you're done and it slides right back into place.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbrain View Post
    Yeah I had a HAWG for years and then my buddy had me try on his Wingnut. While my Camelbak had only seemed mildly uncomfortable and inconvenient up to that point, once I tried the Wingnut the HAWG was barely tolerable. The access, load distribution, and shoulder harness are all much better. Plus is
    solves the OP's problem by routing the drinking
    tube out of the bottom and up one of the shoulder
    straps through a sturdy elastic loop. You just pull
    the bite valve up to your mouth and then let go
    when you're done and it slides right back into
    place.
    Hmm interesting, I've never even heard of said Wingnut. Although I have been completely happy with my Camelbak I may have to check out the Wingnut just out of curiosty now.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden