Thread: Lifestyle

mtbr member

Lifestyle

I ride around 240 miles a week, some road and some trails. I don't drive so use my bike for everything.

Here's the catch. I smoke 20 a day, live on pretty much fast food and ginsters pasties, drink pretty much nothing but Coca cola, about 4 big bottles a day and sleep maybe 4 hours a night at best. I can speed past these touring and road bikes on the road with ease and never seem short of breath no matter how I push myself. Off road I cam breeze most stuff except DH. I recently had a lung capacity test and I showed only below slightly normal. I've smoked for 8 years now. I'm 21, 5ft 6 and weigh about 12 stone.

I should be unfit. What's going on?! Is this proof cycling is healthy no matter how you live? Or just luck...

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Kirky1991; 04-28-2013 at 05:57 AM.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Lifestyle

I feel what I eat, so I couldn't do that.

It might catch up later.

Advice: you might be faster by changing it up... Unless you're content being passed up on the road by the hypothetical You.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

official eMpTyBRain
    My guess is that the cycling is burning off calories and the caffeine is keeping you energized. But, you are causing irreversible damage to your body. Your lungs and your arteries in particular. You would probably gain weight rapidly and feel horrible if you were to stop riding. Try to adjust your diet,... slowly.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirky1991 View Post
    I should be unfit. What's going on?! Is this proof cycling is healthy no matter how you live? Or just luck...

Lung damage from smoking is slow, steady and cumulative. At 21 years old you are probably not yet feeling any negative effects beyond a smokers hack and reduced bank account. When you are young you can treat your body like $hit and still be OK for awhile, but you won't be young forever. That old adage "If I'd known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself" is a lot funnier when you're 21 than when you're 45, and believe me you will be there before you know it if you don't kill yourself with soda and cigs first.

Nicotine is insidiously addictive and convinces your brain that you are actually enjoying smoking that f@g when in reality you are only supplying your body with a temporary fix. I know this because I am an idiot who smoked for nearly 30 years. Nicotine free for 11 months now and feel better then I have in years, lost the hack and haven't been sick since I put them down. I don't think there is anyone who has smoked cigs for any length of time who does not regret it, there is nothing positive about it.

Quit now. If you need any inspiration look at someone who has to tote an oxygen tank everywhere and imagine how ridiculous you will look riding a bike with one of those on your back.

mtbr member

Things really start to change at age 25. When I was your age a shared a similar lifestyle. Now it is a struggle to shed a few pounds.

I would highly recommend ditching the smokes. Some of the damage you are doing will have a grater effect on you later. Kicking the smokes was the best thing I ever did for myself. Just think how great a rider you could be with a better lifestyle since you are already quite a good rider as is.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

AZ
    banned
    Is this proof cycling is healthy no matter how you live?

Nope. Its proof that no matter how much information is available that demonstrates the negative effects of certain lifestyles, some people still choose those lifestyles. Consider the state of your health and where it would be if you made better choices.
    Last edited by AZ; 04-28-2013 at 07:02 AM.

mtbr member

Thanks for the replies guys. Some good points. I recently purchased an email lites cigarette thing and am trying to cut down if not quit with it. Going well so far, the physical addiction seems to be dying but the habit bit is killing me. I've been stuck in habit smoking for ages now. Dirt wise I'm trying my best to avoid coco cola now but it's just one of those things that will take time. Now I'm in a serious and lasting relationship with a great lass I decided to quit the killer lifestyle I previously had. I hope I manage it lol.

AZ
    banned
    Thanks for the replies guys. Some good points. I recently purchased an email lites cigarette thing and am trying to cut down if not quit with it. Going well so far, the physical addiction seems to be dying but the habit bit is killing me. I've been stuck in habit smoking for ages now. Dirt wise I'm trying my best to avoid coco cola now but it's just one of those things that will take time. Now I'm in a serious and lasting relationship with a great lass I decided to quit the killer lifestyle I previously had. I hope I manage it lol.

Congrats on quitting. Here is a link for the quitting smoking support thread, there are some great tips:

Quitting Smoking

pin it
    I agree with others that smoking causes more damage to the body. It damages blood vessels and effects bones. If you engage in a sport like cycling where there is a higher risk of injury, you might want to think about the consequence of lifestyle.

Smoking damages blood vessels, so there is poor blood supply of oxygen. People who smoke have repeated fractures. Heavy smokers don't heal very well because of poor blood supply.

Because smoking damages blood vessels, it also damages nerves in toes and feet, which can lead to more falls and fractures.

It is not easy to quit smoking. It is a powerful addiction. But you are young and you probably haven't been smoking for very long. If you are contemplating quitting smoking then you still have time to reverse any damage done. Good luck!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    You said you're 21? Come back to this thread after 20 years.

mtbr member

If I may make a suggestion I wish had been suggested to me at your age. Get a general practitioner and have a thorough physical. Get your blood work done now and again in a year or so after to see the progress of your lifestyle changes. If caffeine is the addiction with the soda switch to green tea. Get more sleep!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundam168 View Post
    Exactly. At 21 you can decide now whether you want to be healthy and active at 40 or a fat slug with a bunch of health issues. The Coke is almost as bad as the smokes IMO.
    whatever...

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundam168 View Post
    make that 10 years
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Congrats on quitting. Here is a link for the quitting smoking support thread, there are some great tips:

Quitting Smoking
    Cheers for the link

Sent From My Xperia Z Using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by gunner66 View Post
    If I may make a suggestion I wish had been suggested to me at your age. Get a general practitioner and have a thorough physical. Get your blood work done now and again in a year or so after to see the progress of your lifestyle changes. If caffeine is the addiction with the soda switch to green tea. Get more sleep!

That's a cracking idea. Would be a most interesting thing to see how it all changes.

Sent From My Xperia Z Using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    well, you can at least take comfort that this would be the norm if you were a cyclist in the 1920's hah.

definite malingerer

Afric Pepperbird
    I ride around 240 miles a week...
    I call BS!

Prove it!