Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Let's talk baseball

Idk, baseball. Who watches/enjoys it? Favorite teams/players?
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

Digging in the pain cave.
    Join in here-

OT: 2012 MLB thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I live in San Diego, so baseball
    is a bummer.

Best, John

usually cranky
    sadly, the red sox.

mtbr member
    Didn't even see that thread, thanks!
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

I ride brikes, dingus'
    Love it! Giants fan, but I am a baseball fan first. I guess my first favorite player was Lou Gehrig. Loved the old movies growing up, and "The Lou Gehrig story" was one of my favorites. Then it guess Johny Bench, during the Big red machine days. Then of course, Will "the Thrill" Clark.
    You're not lost if you don't care where you are--- Tom Massie

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Between April and September, baseball is my favorite sport of all time. Between November and January football is. For September and October, they must battle it out.

GO RAYS!

I didn't do it
    What do you guys think about Yasiel Puig? For the most part I think he's good for the game. He plays hard, hits a lot of HRs and plays great defense. Although lately its coming out that he's a bit of a diva. Ignoring other Cuban players and blowing off base coaches, etc. For now I'm a fan but lets see how he does for the rest of the season.

official eMpTyBRain
    Being an L.A. Dodger fan and living in L.A., I couldn't be happier. As long as they keep getting a "W", it's all good to me. He's woken up the team and they are pretty hot now. Look out!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

I didn't do it
    Yeah, he's definitely one of those players who, when they're up to bat I stop and watch. Plus he has really energized the Dodgers and put them into the playoff hunt, which is really amazing given that he's a rookie.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nwbikur View Post
    What do you guys think about Yasiel Puig? For the most part I think he's good for the game. He plays hard, hits a lot of HRs and plays great defense. Although lately its coming out that he's a bit of a diva. Ignoring other Cuban players and blowing off base coaches, etc. For now I'm a fan but lets see how he does for the rest of the season.
    They needed him after they made the worst trade in sports history.

Go RED SOX!

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    They needed him after they made the worst trade in sports history.

Go RED SOX!
    Yeah, it looked bad for the Dodgers for awhile so this resurgence is really interesting.

mtbr member
    Pete Rose aka Charlie Hustle was the epitome of what it means to leave it on the field. Todays multi mil babies pale in comparison.

And just to be clear no i don't agree with his betting on baseball and support his ban from the HOF.

Afric Pepperbird
    My favorite team (Brewers) suck, and their best player (Braun) is a lying cheat.

It's gonna be a looooong couple of years.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    My favorite team (Brewers) suck, and their best player (Braun) is a lying cheat.

It's gonna be a looooong couple of years.
    The face of baseball is about to change with all the 50 or 100 game suspensions coming up. Its going to be a real mess with the appeals and everything that's going to go down. I still can't watch that statement Braun gave after weaseling his way out of the doping charges where he just lies through his teeth. He's guilty, he knew it and yet he gets in front of a microphone and just lies away.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    Pete Rose aka Charlie Hustle was the epitome of what it means to leave it on the field. Todays multi mil babies pale in comparison.

And just to be clear no i don't agree with his betting on baseball and support his ban from the HOF.
    How about this: 50th anniversary: the Marichal-Spahn duel. No pitch counts in those days.

So does Puig fall into the Charlie Rose class of balls to the walls play? What about Bryce Harper?

mtbr member
    How about this: 50th anniversary: the Marichal-Spahn duel. No pitch counts in those days.

So does Puig fall into the Charlie Rose class of balls to the walls play? What about Bryce Harper?
    way too soon to apply such accolades to Puig. As for Harper he is a hustler thats for sure.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    way too soon to apply such accolades to Puig. As for Harper he is a hustler thats for sure.
    Fair enough, these guys certainly haven't been around long enough to assess all time greatness. They're off to a good start though. I like watching both these dudes play ball.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The face of baseball is about to change with all the 50 or 100 game suspensions coming up. Its going to be a real mess with the appeals and everything that's going to go down. I still can't watch that statement Braun gave after weaseling his way out of the doping charges where he just lies through his teeth. He's guilty, he knew it and yet he gets in front of a microphone and just lies away.
    It's going to get interesting coming up to playoffs since any players can continue while on appeal. I hope they get the appeals process over quickly, or expedite the playoff bound team players first. There was word that some of the 25 are minor leaguers so they can't play during the appeal process. I hope they put them on the backburner and get the majors that are on teams headed to the playoffs first. It would be a real kick if one of them helped them in the playoffs only to get 100 games after the season was over. That would be a slap in the face.

Honestly, I'm sick of MLB (it's my favorite sport) dragging feet with PED's. If they were serious they would implement lifetime bans. But obviously they can't with the players union and I think its a sham. They don't really care or else they would do something more drastic.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    It's going to get interesting coming up to playoffs since any players can continue while on appeal. I hope they get the appeals process over quickly, or expedite the playoff bound team players first. There was word that some of the 25 are minor leaguers so they can't play during the appeal process. I hope they put them on the backburner and get the majors that are on teams headed to the playoffs first. It would be a real kick if one of them helped them in the playoffs only to get 100 games after the season was over. That would be a slap in the face.

Honestly, I'm sick of MLB (it's my favorite sport) dragging feet with PED's. If they were serious they would implement lifetime bans. But obviously they can't with the players union and I think its a sham. They don't really care or else they would do something more drastic.
    These suspensions could have big implications for the playoffs and will probably affect some trades. It sounds like the announcements could come down right after the allstar break. Then wait for the fireworks to begin. I really don't have a good read on how long the appeals will take. I can imagine some major lawyer/legal action that could drag this out for a real long time.

I agree with you that MLB really has been slow with the whole PED thing. For one thing they have to get a testing program in place and stick with it. I'm worried that since most of the players facing the big suspensions haven't actually failed any drug tests (as far as we know) and so if they win their appeals then MLB is going to look very bad in all this.

BTW, I'm a Mariners fan and their 4 game series with the Red Sox started out well but ended up as expected. Red Sox are a scoring machine.

usually cranky
    this year happily a red sox fan. another championship on the horizon?

mtbr member
    O-r-i-o-l-e-s

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    this year happily a red sox fan. another championship on the horizon?
    Maybe so. Going into this season I was thinking it was going to be a tough year for them but here they are dominating. Go figure.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishful Tomcat View Post
    O-r-i-o-l-e-s
    Ever since Showalter took the helm I've rooted for them a little bit. Talk about a quick turnaround without any real personnel changes at the time and look at them now. Along with the Red Sox, Yankees and Rays the AL East is going to be exciting to watch in the second half.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Maybe so. Going into this season I was thinking it was going to be a tough year for them but here they are dominating. Go figure.
    I had the Yankees and Red Sox coming in 4th and 5th in the division prior to the start of the season. I thought it was a tossup which would be dead last. Looks like the age and injuries I assumed would happen is bringing the Yanks down to where I was thinking. I am baffled the Red Sox have been so good. Most wins the club has EVER had prior to the break. No one could have predicted that!

Like you said, even when their starting pitching didn't look so hot, the offense came up huge for them. The amount of walkoffs has been ridiculous! Here's to hoping everything stays the course. No need for a major meltdown.

NL Central is looking damn good and tough.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast