mtbr member

Kids playing with live rifle ammo

I'd like to know how you parents would feel (or what action you'd take) if you encountered the following:

You rent out a vacation rental for the first time, hoping to treat your family to a MUCH needed time away, and upon arrival you discover that generally the place has been neglected. Several items are non-functional/broken and there is visible damage to things.
    Ok this sucks but you're easy going and can look past it because you're determined to have a good time.

Later that night your 8 & 9 year old are picking through the closets for board games. You notice that the closet they are going through have copious amounts of **** piled up inside as if it hasn't been cleaned out in years.
    Lame right?!...but you can just close the damn door and you won't have to see it....its not your problem right?

Coming back to check on said children who are playing the game Clue it is noticed that one of the board game pieces is EXTREMELY LARGE and out of scale for such a game. Next to the 'pipe wrench' you see one of the young children has placed a live rifle round of .45-70 on the game board. WTF!!!!!

After investigation you find out that the kids found the live rifle ammo in the **** hole of a closet while looking for games. Glad that you diverted a potentially and seriously FUBAR scenario you now turn your attention to the rental folks who obviously haven't done much to maintain the property.

What do you do?
    I'd like to know........and before you answer, put your kids in this story and respond as their parent.

AZ
    banned
    Neg. rep the sh!!te out of the slum lords.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Negligent asses give responsible gun owners a bad name, imho.

Cannonball!
    Are you afraid that it'll suddenly discharge?

Cannonball!
    or that they'll accidently find the 45-70 that it fits?

Only 5 lives left
    Take pictures, attach them to an email detailing your concerns about your children's safety. If they feed your a pile of bull, then withhold payment.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NuckingFuts View Post
    I'd like to know how you parents would feel (or what action you'd take) if you encountered the following:

You rent out a vacation rental for the first time, hoping to treat your family to a MUCH needed time away, and upon arrival you discover that generally the place has been neglected. Several items are non-functional/broken and there is visible damage to things.
    Ok this sucks but you're easy going and can look past it because you're determined to have a good time.
    If I were already willing to overlook things, to have a good time ... I'd continue to have a good time, and not let an inanimate object ruin it for myself and the family.

The problem I see is not finding a "live round" ... It's the general condition of the place, and therefore if I had decided to overlook the general condition of the place, I'd overlook the "live round", and keep having a good time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It's unfortunate they found ammo in the closet. I wouldn't be upset about that as much as I would be about the general condition of the place. I would explain with conviction, in great detail my displeasure with the entire experience.
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ps. If you could gather up and mail me the offending ammo I would appreciate it
    Thanks
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    Sounds like you rented the place for a really cheap rate, that it is someone's second home and that they did you a favor with the steeply discounted below fair market price.

If this is the case, you really need to lower your expectations... you get what you pay for. Also, if it is someone else's second home, it's up to you to keep your kids out of their closets and personal sh*t.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member

Kids playing with live rifle ammo

Seriously? It's just a bullet. They don't just randomly fire off on their own.
    If it makes you uncomfortable (and it shouldn't), simply remove it from the house and go on with your vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Sounds like you rented the place for a really cheap rate, that it is someone's second home and that they did you a favor with the steeply discounted below fair market price.

If this is the case, you really need to lower your expectations... you get what you pay for. Also, if it is someone else's second home, it's up to you to keep your kids out of their closets and personal sh*t.
    What in the post gives any indication of the price he paid for the rental? Don't know the man from a hole in the wall. But I'll give him the benefit if the doubt. Sounds like he rented a pit. Furthermore, if you rent out a house and don't want people in the closet. Put a lock on it.

No Stranger to danger....
    I grew up with a father that was a shooter and taxidermist.

He had 4 reloading machines, primers, shell casings, powder, etc lying round in his work room, we were taught gun safety over n over but we used to steal live ammunition and play with it.
    Its actually pretty hard to hit the primer and make the bullet go off for a kid, live ammunition is actually safer than many would think imo.

If it was just one bullet in the cupboard they found it could have just been an honest mistake that it was there.
    Id have a good talk to the kids about guns and ammunition, use the bullet as an educational tool while you have it, and let them know its not safe for them to be playing with and they are not a game.

If it was a gun they found with live rounds in it it would be a totally different story and worth kicking up a massive drama over, but its just a bullet , use it to educate them, maybe take a picture of it incase there is further dramas down the track with the cabin and you need to use it to prove a point to the owner..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

humber river advocate
    we used to find ammo at hunting camps all the time as kids... 12 gauge bird shot, slugs, 308's, .30-06, 22's... i even know one guy who found a sea-mine (like in the movies)...
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills MPAC
    will build trail for rep... give a rep today...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Probably safer than a hammer, scissors, kitchen knives, and anything kept under a sink... It's probably worrisome for someone unfamiliar with such things, but honestly it's nothing to worry about. Smokeless powder won't even explode under atmospheric pressure. It burns slowly unless under high pressures of a rifle chamber.

mtbr member
    Lots of interesting replies, thank you. We just put this one behind us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p2rider426 View Post
    Probably safer than a hammer, scissors, kitchen knives, and anything kept under a sink... It's probably worrisome for someone unfamiliar with such things, but honestly it's nothing to worry about. Smokeless powder won't even explode under atmospheric pressure. It burns slowly unless under high pressures of a rifle chamber.
    This. I would be more concerned about the other things you mentioned than finding a few bullets.

But I would look in the closet to see what else was in there -- if rounds are haphazardly left lying around, maybe other more dangerous stuff could be as well.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

I eat cats
    This story reminded me of when I found a few live rounds in the local hills when I was a kid. I brought them home and tried to rig one with a nail and some duct tape to try to make it go off by throwing it in the air and letting it hit the ground in hopes it would land on the nail and go off. Unsuccessful until my brother saw me and took them all away and in the process I am pretty sure he gave me a quick ass whooping. Anyways, it sounds dumb to me now that I did that but at least I was unsuccessful. I still ride trails in those hills, at least what is left of them.

Don't look down here...

I'm your density
    Beats finding a live round in your burrito.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

banned
    Aug 2012
    ^^^ You spelled thong, wrong.

mtbr member
    As others stated, live ammo is generally idiot proof.
    How idiot proof? My younger brother and a neighbor once poured a couple boxes of rifle ammo into another neighbors Burn barrel. Once the fire got hot enough the ammo cooked off. Lots of noise and nothing else. Without a chamber securing the cartridge its actually the brass not the bullet that becomes a rather feeble projectile. (the bullet is heavier than the case so the case not the bullet is moved)
    Taking it up a notch I saw the same thing with 50 cal ammo while in the service. Much louder but no real projectiles.
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!