Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 70
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211

    Justified: the TV show

    New season of one of my favorite television shows starts tonight on the FX channel. Really fun backwoods Kentucky detective crime show. Probably my favorite non HBO/pay premium drama. Anybody else on here watch?

  2. #2
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,424
    I've followed it since the start, partly because it reminds me of people here, partly because Elmore Leonard's writing was amazing. Hopefully this season will continue his tradition.

    They've killed off a lot of characters over the years and the new players don't always work as well - IMO no one can fill the gap left by Arlo. I'm glad to see Dewie Crow back, but hopefully the cousin played by Michael Rappaport will grow into his accent because it wasn't so good in the first episode.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

  3. #3
    Sleek Jamis Exile Rider
    Reputation: MadMacMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    419
    Caught an episode last night. Intrigued and slightly captivated. Will subscribe to amazon so I can watch the first season.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: carverboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    550
    Yep, I like the show as well. I think the thing that makes this show stand out is the way it refuses to paint the good guys vs. bad guys in simple black and white terms.
    The criminal characters have humanity and depth. Not the standard one dimensional type usually seen on tv.
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkidd_39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    928
    Love this show! Anything with Walter Groggins in it rocks imho.. even when he went all 1/2 n 1/2 on SOA.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,760
    Love the show, reminds of where I grew up. Not sure now if that is a good or bad thing.
    15 Yeti ASR-c
    14 Yeti ARC
    16 Bianchi Specialissima
    15 Echo Big Deal
    15 Roubaix S-Works

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    I thought the first episode was pretty great last night. Off to a better start than last season. I was a little thrown by M. Rappaport as well. I only know him as a Yankee street tough in roles. As the episode wore on, I began to let the accent thing go. One approach I decided to make while watching the first season was to forgive areas where hillbilly authenticity is weak, and to also let go off any reality checks on some of the absurdities of the crime. The show is meant to be fun.

    For those who have watched all along, I think the show was best during that second season--I'm pretty sure it was the second--where the mother was the primary bad guy. My memory is bad, so I can't recall her name, but the actress who played her was amazing.

  8. #8
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,614
    Yup -I'm a fan.

    If y'all haven't seen the HBO series Deadwood you should. Olyphant's character is similar...but far more ornery/psychotic.
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dbhammercycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,228
    Deadwood was an awesome show.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sasquatch rides a SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,557
    I was a big fan of Justified for the first 4 seasons, but started losing interest halfway through the last season. No clue why, I guess it just sort of "passed" for me..so I chose not to watch the season 5 premiere. It feels odd, knowing it's on and I didn't watch it. I'll probably end up watching it once it's on dvd or something...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I was a big fan of Justified for the first 4 seasons, but started losing interest halfway through the last season. No clue why, I guess it just sort of "passed" for me..so I chose not to watch the season 5 premiere. It feels odd, knowing it's on and I didn't watch it. I'll probably end up watching it once it's on dvd or something...
    I don't think last season was one of the better seasons. You should try to watch the first episode of this season next Tuesday--they always replay right before the new episode--just to see if you're into it. A ton of action for a first episode.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sasquatch rides a SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    I don't think last season was one of the better seasons. You should try to watch the first episode of this season next Tuesday--they always replay right before the new episode--just to see if you're into it. A ton of action for a first episode.
    I might do that!

  13. #13
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    I don't think last season was one of the better seasons. You should try to watch the first episode of this season next Tuesday--they always replay right before the new episode--just to see if you're into it. A ton of action for a first episode.
    Here we get a movie until 10, then the latest episode, then a repeat, and I'm never awake long enough to know what comes after but they might play the prior episode after the repeat.

    IMO the first two seasons were the best IMO - meet the Crowders in season one, meet the Bennetts in season two. Mags was the mother of the Bennett clan, played by Margo Martindale. They get the best talent because they have(had) the best writer.

    The first season had some episodes filmed in KY, but if you look at the background you can tell they've moved back to CA since then. The hills in coal country are not covered in brown grass.

    I'd watch Walter Goggins read the phone book. For a little while anyway. Helluva an actor - he won me over when he was Shane on The Shield.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Here we get a movie until 10, then the latest episode, a repeat, and I'm never awake long enough to know what comes after but they might play the prior episode after the repeat.
    Ah, yes. I think you're right about this. The repeats come very late. Maybe check local listings for replays because my memory tells me the repeats play at some point earlier than midnight local, but I've shown my memory to be faulty. Maybe the repeat shows on another night as well?

    And I agree with everyone about Goggins. He's great.

  15. #15
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,059
    When Justified came out I was going to watch it, especially when I saw that Walter Goggins was in it. He was outstanding in The Shield. For some reason I never started watching and since then I wish I had. So I think I'll probably try to catch up on DVD, Netflex or a marathon.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

  16. #16
    Rod
    Rod is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,816
    I keep hearing about this show. I need to give it a chance.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

  17. #17
    kneecap
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,538
    Although some is filmed in Green Valley Ca., maybe 10 miles away, a lot is done in my neighborhood, Newhall, Ca. about 4 blocks from my home.
    I have yet to see Timothy Olyphant, but I have caught co-stars a few times.
    Haven't missed an episode since inception, probably my favorite show next to "Game of Thrones"
    Seems a lot of shows & commercials are filmed locally, streets are crowded with movie wagons with sleeping cops at each end, LOL..

  18. #18
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,424
    As a reminder for those of you who posted about not watching it but maybe want to, "Justified" is on tonight.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

  19. #19
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,424
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Hey Bob, since you're a Leonard fan, do you read a lot of fiction produced out of your neck of the woods?

  21. #21
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,424
    Honestly my interest in Elmore is driven by movies/shows based on his work. As for local reading, I mostly stick to history. For fiction I'm more of a Stephen King sort of guy. Although, one book written by a local guy that will have you laughing your ass off is "Crum". I've only read the first book of the trilogy though Crum (Crum Trilogy): LEE MAYNARD: 9781935978503: Amazon.com: Books

    I used to read a lot more than I do now, anymore it's all I can do to keep up with my internet reading.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    I used to read a lot more than I do now, anymore it's all I can do to keep up with my internet reading.
    I hear you. Especially the mtbr reading.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Enjoying this season quite a bit. In fact, a lot. But that M. Rappaport is pretty awful in the role. I swear there's about 30 dead bodies already, some of them pretty darn interesting characters, yet that Rappaport lives on. Too bad the Haitian got killed instead of him.

  24. #24
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,424
    I agree about M.R.. I hoped he'd get better, but the accent remains horrible.

    I figured Ava was going to be dead by the end of last night's episode.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

  25. #25
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,424
    So is anyone still watching besides me? What'd you think about the way old Picker died? Freakin' Boyd be all crazy and **** with that emulex.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

  26. #26
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    So is anyone still watching besides me? What'd you think about the way old Picker died? Freakin' Boyd be all crazy and **** with that emulex.
    Now that I have seen this thread, I'll watch. Ellmore Leonard was one of my favorite authors.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    So is anyone still watching besides me? What'd you think about the way old Picker died? Freakin' Boyd be all crazy and **** with that emulex.
    Oh, I watch. Season started off great, but then went downhill. Too many characters and plot angles. That stuff with Ava in prison is pretty awful. I still enjoy the show, but it's all over the place. Now, Boyd had those cigs the first time meeting with Picker, when the cops busted in. Did Boyd tip the cops with an assist from Theo? If so, did Boyd have the explosive when the cops brought everybody in?

    The Crows are not worthy adversaries.

  28. #28
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,424
    Yeah this is not the best season, and I agree about the Crows, although it was kind of interesting the way they killed old what's his name off with the hole in the yard. "I swear I would've warned you"

    The boy's going to kill Darrell and run off with the girl from the season with the Bennett clan. Remember, she was on episode 1 this season for no apparent reason.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Yeah this is not the best season, and I agree about the Crows, although it was kind of interesting the way they killed old what's his name off with the hole in the yard. "I swear I would've warned you"

    The boy's going to kill Darrell and run off with the girl from the season with the Bennett clan. Remember, she was on episode 1 this season for no apparent reason.
    Yeah, I remember. Lots of characters this season seem to be on for no apparent reason. Oh, well. It's still a fun show.

  30. #30
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Maybe, now that Leonard's gone, the show has lost it's rudder, or something like that. He never really did like Raylan's hat......

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    Maybe, now that Leonard's gone, the show has lost it's rudder, or something like that. He never really did like Raylan's hat......
    I have a few friends who work in television/movies, and from what I gather hearing them talk, somebody like Leonard would be more of a spiritual guide than and actual writer for the show. He would look at scripts that have already been written a number of time by a number of writers and then make suggestions. Maybe do a bit of writing. The writers would try to honor his vision, but they still have to keep actors/directors/other writers happy. Often great television is a bit of a lucky circumstance in that the right actors/directors/writers have a good working relationship, but the longer a TV show lasts the more those parts are moving about. People behind the scenes move on to other projects. Writers shift roles. Miscast actors enter the show. Then there are network influences who want to push this or that actor or storyline. I get the feeling the folks behind Justified are trying to figure out how to end the show, as so much of the writing this season seems to be serving the future.

    Old Ray, I suggest watching season 1, which was good. Then season 2, which was close to as good as television gets. After that, decide if you want to keep going.

  32. #32
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    I have a few friends who work in television/movies, and from what I gather hearing them talk, somebody like Leonard would be more of a spiritual guide than and actual writer for the show. He would look at scripts that have already been written a number of time by a number of writers and then make suggestions. Maybe do a bit of writing. The writers would try to honor his vision, but they still have to keep actors/directors/other writers happy. Often great television is a bit of a lucky circumstance in that the right actors/directors/writers have a good working relationship, but the longer a TV show lasts the more those parts are moving about. People behind the scenes move on to other projects. Writers shift roles. Miscast actors enter the show. Then there are network influences who want to push this or that actor or storyline. I get the feeling the folks behind Justified are trying to figure out how to end the show, as so much of the writing this season seems to be serving the future.

    Old Ray, I suggest watching season 1, which was good. Then season 2, which was close to as good as television gets. After that, decide if you want to keep going.

    Thanks, I would like to follow your suggestion. I just need to find the most convenient and economical way to do so. So far, I've found it's easier to watch recent episodes and seasons than the original ones.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    Thanks, I would like to follow your suggestion. I just need to find the most convenient and economical way to do so. So far, I've found it's easier to watch recent episodes and seasons than the original ones.
    Got you. I need to break down and get a Netflix or Hulu subscription.

  34. #34
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,424
    Well that was pretty unsatisfying. I sure hope next season is better since it's going to be the last one.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Yeah, a big bust. Too bad, but I'm going to finsih the show out since I've been in from the start. I liked the first couple episodes this season. All down hill after that, and it was almost as if each episode got progressively worse.

    The best part about last night's final was when the Mexicans told Boyd how stupid he was, and that they wanted to take him back to Mexico and cage him up like a pet monkey so they could laugh at him. I'm still giggling at that one.

  36. #36
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,424
    Coming back tonight for the final season ... not sure I can look at Boyd the same way after all those scenes between Venus and Tig on SoA.

    'Justified': The 30 Funniest Moments


    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    I'm in. Watched it all so far, so may as well bring it on home.

    Review: Justified back on target for final season

  38. #38
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Thanks for the reminder. I'll try to watch or record tonight.

  39. #39
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,424
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

  40. #40
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    I haven't been able to sit through an entire episode for one reason or another.

    Part of it is that I've never known hillbilly-types to so classically well-spoken.

    Seems a bit contrived, and it certainly diverges from the way that Leonard wrote dialogue for characters like that.

  41. #41
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,424
    It's been that way since the beginning, and is one of my favorite parts, but I'm not a reader of E.L. There was a quote last night from Raylan about Boyd along the lines of "got a long-winded, peculiar way of speakin'"

    I read "Unknown Man No. 89" back in the spring, and to be honest I didn't think it was very good. Maybe part of that is I expected it to have more intricate dialog like "Justified", and I agree with what you posted because it didn't.

    Have you spent any time in a place like WV or KY? You'd be amazed how many over educated dirt farmers there actually are. You aren't going to find them at Wal-mart though, or at least you wouldn't recognize it out of them there.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

  42. #42
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    It's been that way since the beginning, and is one of my favorite parts, but I'm not a reader of E.L. There was a quote last night from Raylan about Boyd along the lines of "got a long-winded, peculiar way of speakin'"

    I read "Unknown Man No. 89" back in the spring, and to be honest I didn't think it was very good. Maybe part of that is I expected it to have more intricate dialog like "Justified", and I agree with what you posted because it didn't.

    Have you spent any time in a place like WV or KY? You'd be amazed how many over educated dirt farmers there actually are. You aren't going to find them at Wal-mart though, or at least you wouldn't recognize it out of them there.
    I spent just a short amout of time in the Appalachians, camping in Ohioplye State Park, and heading into nearby town (Union Town? Allentown?) for supplies and to visit some of my friends' family.

    They were not long-winded, IMO....but my experience was brief, and limited to his family, friends, and the Park staff. It was interesting to find myself shadowed while walking through the woods behind the campground, though. They seemed a curious, if somewhat less than friendly people.

    But I would guess that much of that was due to me, as people all over the country had a tendency back in those days to behave with a somewhat defensive manner towards me. I looked different back then, and to many I looked menacing.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    I've enjoyed the first couple of episodes this season. The bad guys are pretty good, aside from the Vet with brain damage. I'm still having trouble with Ava though. I used to really like her until last season. The whole prison thing was a mistake. Now I feel like the actress doesn't really buy into the character either. Something feels phony to me when she's on screen. Hopefully that will change as the season builds towards conclusion.

  44. #44
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,424
    You didn't like Choo-Choo? They had to come up with something to take the place of Dewey Crowe.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

  45. #45
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    I spent just a short amout of time in the Appalachians, camping in Ohioplye State Park, and heading into nearby town (Union Town? Allentown?) for supplies and to visit some of my friends' family.
    Ohiopyle's up around Pittsburgh, which is nothing like it is in Harlan. It doesn't sound like you got out much.

    I see things with different eyes because I've been seeing it all my life, so it's comfortable to me. I think that's mainly why I'm so into the show. There was a reality show called "Coal" (IIRC) on Spike for 1 season, I always said watching that show was like visiting relatives.

    COAL | Thom Beers Reality Show About Coal Miners | Full Episodes | Spike
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    You didn't like Choo-Choo? They had to come up with something to take the place of Dewey Crowe.
    Choo-Choo exists only for the sweet joke that comes with his name.

    "The call me Choo-Choo because I hit you like a freight train that you don't see coming."

    Or something like that. Nice line. Bad acting.

  47. #47
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,424
    The "I'm not following you" scene was decent too

    "Are you really smart, or really stupid?"
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

  48. #48
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,424
    I thought I told you a**holes to leave your cell phones in the car!

    I busted out laughing, so Busey
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mjydrafter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    I thought I told you a**holes to leave your cell phones in the car!

    I busted out laughing, so Busey
    That was one of the highlights of last night. I busted out laughing as well. Kind of one of those "you know what's coming" but still highly funny seeing Duffy and Boyd standing there getting splattered, dumbfounded.
    Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Hey WVbob, you still around? What do you think of the season so far? I thought they've done an admirable job trying to put so many pieces together. Very hard thing to do.

    I'm fairly satisfied, but I have been disappointed by the antagonists/bad guys. Choo choo amounted to nothing. The military guys weren't very intimidating. And, as yet, Avery hasn't been given much to do but show up and confess all his evils while never really doing anything evil.

    I thought I'd find Ava's playing both Boyd and Raylan annoying, but I'm ok with it. The last episode helped that scenario turn the corner with me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The show must go on!
    By rockerc in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-15-2013, 03:54 PM
  2. I'll show you mine if you show me yours.
    By jbone ll in forum Oregon
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 05:43 PM
  3. Show me yours and I'll show you mine
    By heyyall in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 12-26-2012, 06:28 AM
  4. Can someone show me around?
    By ILMTB in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-08-2011, 01:55 PM
  5. I'll show you my Jericho if you show me yours...
    By elsaltamontes in forum Custom Builders & Other Manufacturers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-13-2004, 07:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •