Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Justified: the TV show

New season of one of my favorite television shows starts tonight on the FX channel. Really fun backwoods Kentucky detective crime show. Probably my favorite non HBO/pay premium drama. Anybody else on here watch?
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

human dehumidifier
    I've followed it since the start, partly because it reminds me of people here, partly because Elmore Leonard's writing was amazing. Hopefully this season will continue his tradition.

They've killed off a lot of characters over the years and the new players don't always work as well - IMO no one can fill the gap left by Arlo. I'm glad to see Dewie Crow back, but hopefully the cousin played by Michael Rappaport will grow into his accent because it wasn't so good in the first episode.
    I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider
    Caught an episode last night. Intrigued and slightly captivated. Will subscribe to amazon so I can watch the first season.

mtbr member
    Yep, I like the show as well. I think the thing that makes this show stand out is the way it refuses to paint the good guys vs. bad guys in simple black and white terms.
    The criminal characters have humanity and depth. Not the standard one dimensional type usually seen on tv.
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

mtbr member
    Love this show! Anything with Walter Groggins in it rocks imho.. even when he went all 1/2 n 1/2 on SOA.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Love the show, reminds of where I grew up. Not sure now if that is a good or bad thing.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I thought the first episode was pretty great last night. Off to a better start than last season. I was a little thrown by M. Rappaport as well. I only know him as a Yankee street tough in roles. As the episode wore on, I began to let the accent thing go. One approach I decided to make while watching the first season was to forgive areas where hillbilly authenticity is weak, and to also let go off any reality checks on some of the absurdities of the crime. The show is meant to be fun.

For those who have watched all along, I think the show was best during that second season--I'm pretty sure it was the second--where the mother was the primary bad guy. My memory is bad, so I can't recall her name, but the actress who played her was amazing.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Yup -I'm a fan.

If y'all haven't seen the HBO series Deadwood you should. Olyphant's character is similar...but far more ornery/psychotic.
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Deadwood was an awesome show.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    I was a big fan of Justified for the first 4 seasons, but started losing interest halfway through the last season. No clue why, I guess it just sort of "passed" for me..so I chose not to watch the season 5 premiere. It feels odd, knowing it's on and I didn't watch it. I'll probably end up watching it once it's on dvd or something...
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I was a big fan of Justified for the first 4 seasons, but started losing interest halfway through the last season. No clue why, I guess it just sort of "passed" for me..so I chose not to watch the season 5 premiere. It feels odd, knowing it's on and I didn't watch it. I'll probably end up watching it once it's on dvd or something...
    I don't think last season was one of the better seasons. You should try to watch the first episode of this season next Tuesday--they always replay right before the new episode--just to see if you're into it. A ton of action for a first episode.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    I don't think last season was one of the better seasons. You should try to watch the first episode of this season next Tuesday--they always replay right before the new episode--just to see if you're into it. A ton of action for a first episode.
    I might do that!
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Here we get a movie until 10, then the latest episode, then a repeat, and I'm never awake long enough to know what comes after but they might play the prior episode after the repeat.

IMO the first two seasons were the best IMO - meet the Crowders in season one, meet the Bennetts in season two. Mags was the mother of the Bennett clan, played by Margo Martindale. They get the best talent because they have(had) the best writer.

The first season had some episodes filmed in KY, but if you look at the background you can tell they've moved back to CA since then. The hills in coal country are not covered in brown grass.

I'd watch Walter Goggins read the phone book. For a little while anyway. Helluva an actor - he won me over when he was Shane on The Shield.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Here we get a movie until 10, then the latest episode, a repeat, and I'm never awake long enough to know what comes after but they might play the prior episode after the repeat.
    Ah, yes. I think you're right about this. The repeats come very late. Maybe check local listings for replays because my memory tells me the repeats play at some point earlier than midnight local, but I've shown my memory to be faulty. Maybe the repeat shows on another night as well?

And I agree with everyone about Goggins. He's great.

I didn't do it
    When Justified came out I was going to watch it, especially when I saw that Walter Goggins was in it. He was outstanding in The Shield. For some reason I never started watching and since then I wish I had. So I think I'll probably try to catch up on DVD, Netflex or a marathon.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I keep hearing about this show. I need to give it a chance.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Although some is filmed in Green Valley Ca., maybe 10 miles away, a lot is done in my neighborhood, Newhall, Ca. about 4 blocks from my home.
    I have yet to see Timothy Olyphant, but I have caught co-stars a few times.
    Haven't missed an episode since inception, probably my favorite show next to "Game of Thrones"
    Seems a lot of shows & commercials are filmed locally, streets are crowded with movie wagons with sleeping cops at each end, LOL..

human dehumidifier
    As a reminder for those of you who posted about not watching it but maybe want to, "Justified" is on tonight.

human dehumidifier

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hey Bob, since you're a Leonard fan, do you read a lot of fiction produced out of your neck of the woods?

human dehumidifier
    Honestly my interest in Elmore is driven by movies/shows based on his work. As for local reading, I mostly stick to history. For fiction I'm more of a Stephen King sort of guy. Although, one book written by a local guy that will have you laughing your ass off is "Crum". I've only read the first book of the trilogy though Crum (Crum Trilogy): LEE MAYNARD: 9781935978503: Amazon.com: Books

I used to read a lot more than I do now, anymore it's all I can do to keep up with my internet reading.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    I used to read a lot more than I do now, anymore it's all I can do to keep up with my internet reading.
    I hear you. Especially the mtbr reading.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Enjoying this season quite a bit. In fact, a lot. But that M. Rappaport is pretty awful in the role. I swear there's about 30 dead bodies already, some of them pretty darn interesting characters, yet that Rappaport lives on. Too bad the Haitian got killed instead of him.

human dehumidifier
    I agree about M.R.. I hoped he'd get better, but the accent remains horrible.

I figured Ava was going to be dead by the end of last night's episode.

human dehumidifier
    So is anyone still watching besides me? What'd you think about the way old Picker died? Freakin' Boyd be all crazy and **** with that emulex.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast